Author Topic: 'Heavy' Forums  (Read 4544 times)

Offline McNeillR

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
'Heavy' Forums
« on: February 23, 2003, 09:53:13 AM »
I am sorry, but I am perturbed to visit these forums for numerous reasons, but the most poignant is the loading time for one page.

Do you really need two ads? And that size? I could live with a smaller banner but this is ridicoulous.

I fear there may also be niggles with the backend. I much prefer php forums, PhpBB for instance, and could live with manually fixing the security holes.

I fear I will miss out on the shear wealth of discussion maintained on the simple Ezboard.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
'Heavy' Forums
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2003, 04:58:13 PM »
Maybe you should use them a little more before you're o quick to judge.  Most of the people who complained about these forums at first have come around.  You will too, I'm sure.  If not, there are plenty of other forums out there.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
'Heavy' Forums
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 05:03:24 PM »
I see Rick is using his Jedi powers again.

"You will enjoy these forums."

But McNeillR, if ads are becoming so much of a nuisance for you, just get some ad-busting software. Most security programs, firewall applications, etc., come with built-in ad-blocking capability.
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]

Offline PGC-Agent Cooper

• Founder
    • View Profile
'Heavy' Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2003, 09:07:18 AM »
I WANT A PONY.

This advertising complaining really has to go.  Unless you're going to PAY us so we can cover our costs, complaining doesn't do much. And these forums blow away most other forums out there.

Everything takes time to adjust to.  
Billy Berghammer
Founder -- Planet GameCube.com

Offline Sean

• View Profile
'Heavy' Forums
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2003, 01:23:06 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't know what's slow and what's fast since I am one of about 13 unlucky people still using this thing called dial-up.  I just love it when broadband users complain about things like this--of course, McNeill, I don't know what you're using, but it's still beside the point.  If there's one thing you learn from using dial-up in the broadband age of intricate graphics and animations and countless pictures on every page of every website, it's patience.  On 56k, dialing in somewhere around 42+k, this site loads perfectly fine, with perhaps 2-3 seconds between clicks, and much less usually when just hitting "Back."  Horrible, isn't it?  ;-)

And when someone hands you something free, you don't say, "Hey, Gift Horse, I'm looking you in the mouth and saying, 'Gimme more free stuff because I like spitting in the face of tried-and-true adages.'"

Moral: Shut yer yappin, and start yer tappin.*

*You know, on the keyboard.  Never mind.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline EL Pollo DIablos

• View Profile
'Heavy' Forums
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2003, 08:56:40 AM »

Originally posted by: McNeillR
but the most poignant is the loading time for one page....

There is an option were u can turn down the graphics for the forum a little so that pages load faster.
If that doesnt help well then u should ask your dad for T3 or something

El Pollo Diablos
Nintendo is going to treat us good:F-Zero and Star Fox Armada, new Pikmin, 1080, Kirby, Mario Golf, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis and 2 or 3 new franchises ( maybe mature).
Planning on buying an Xbox! Now all I nead is a good gamertag for Live!

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
'Heavy' Forums
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2003, 11:49:23 AM »
Better yet OC-45 line!

Offline McNeillR

• View Profile
'Heavy' Forums
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2003, 04:00:09 AM »
Will you forgive me? ;]

Originally posted by: EL Pollo DIablos

Originally posted by: McNeillR
but the most poignant is the loading time for one page....

There is an option were u can turn down the graphics for the forum a little so that pages load faster.
If that doesnt help well then u should ask your dad for T3 or something

El Pollo Diablos

Firstly: My computer was 5 years old.

Secondly: I have aquired a new computer.

Thirdly: I do not reside with my 'Dad'.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
'Heavy' Forums
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2003, 09:16:02 AM »
I am used to PhpBB as well, but I have gotten used to the lack of features here quite quickly actually.    I still look for the "search for new posts" button every time I log in, but everything else kind of works similarly to what we might expect.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
'Heavy' Forums
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2003, 12:01:58 PM »
i had dial up up untill a week ago, and my pc isn't exactly new and these forums loaded great, i really cant tell the difference over the cable (prolly cause i dont wait to see it load )