Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674234 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: NBA Thread: Out for the Season (Broken Hand)
« Reply #2025 on: January 19, 2020, 07:14:07 PM »
So it is trade season and there are rumors about the T-Wolves wanting to pair D'lo and Kat together.   So I am thinking this trade might work.

Warriors trade D'lo, Willie Cauley-Stine and Jacob Evans
T-Wolves would trade Robert Covington, Gorgui Dieng and Naz Reid

The T-Wolves would get D'lo and a solid backup center to put behind KAT and Evans provides scoring.
Warriors would get a wing defender in Covington and 2 young centers for next season if they miss out on Wiseman and if they do get Wiseman then one of them could be used in a trade to get more pieces. 

Win Wins all around.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: January 20, 2020, 01:08:36 AM »
Well, that was unexpected. I didn't think the Jazz would do this until the Off-season, but the Jazz and Royce O'Neal have agreed to a 4 year, $36 million extension to his contract.

O'Neal is probably our 2nd-best defender, right behind Gobert, and the dude has worked his ass off the last couple of years to expand his range. Provided he can keep this up, this was a good move. He was a restricted Free Agent after this season, so the Jazz were probably afraid they wouldn't be able to afford to match what he'd be offered elsewhere.

To add to my amusement over this situation, apparently the money being spent on this extension originates from the money we saved by getting rid of Exum.

https://www.slcdunk.com/nba-free-agency/2020/1/19/21072996/utah-jazz-splurge-on-a-rolls-royce-oneale-receives-4-year-36m-extension
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: January 20, 2020, 11:14:55 AM »
I'm not entirely clear from your post, but it sounds like you approve of the contract?

As a Raps fan, I like the move. Teams with a strong culture who make an effort to identify talented, hard-working individuals are often fun to watch. Toronto, Miami, and Utah are some examples, and all three are great teams to follow.

Maybe it's "too early" to hand out the money, but I feel like Utah's front office knows what they are doing. And investing in O'Neal will certainly pay out better than Exum did, right?
NNID: ejamer

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: January 20, 2020, 03:09:46 PM »
I'm not entirely clear from your post, but it sounds like you approve of the contract?

As a Raps fan, I like the move. Teams with a strong culture who make an effort to identify talented, hard-working individuals are often fun to watch. Toronto, Miami, and Utah are some examples, and all three are great teams to follow.

Maybe it's "too early" to hand out the money, but I feel like Utah's front office knows what they are doing. And investing in O'Neal will certainly pay out better than Exum did, right?

Oh no, I definitely approve the move. I'm very much a fan of the players who just work hard, push themselves to improve, and don't whine about it. It's one of the reasons why John Stockton was my favorite player of his era and Paul Millsap was my favorite Jazzman since then. It's a pity we had to lose him to Denver, but he was never going to get starting time on a squad that had All Jefferson & Carlos Boozer.

I just find the move a bit strange since the Jazz have been making moves to lock-in huge amounts of money for future seasons when this team is still very much untested. Conley still hasn't lived up to how we envisioned; our bench is still very inconsistent, and the Jazz still haven't played many of the big threats in the West. Locking in Ingles & now O'Neal with contract extensions feels a bit premature in January. We have no wiggle room for trades or big free agents right now to fill out the holes in our roster, and won't for years. Management is banking everything on this being a Finals Year.

Speaking of the bench, I wonder what we're going to do with Mudiay now that Conley's playing again. I really liked him as backup PG while Conley was out, but Conley took all his minutes in the Kings game and Ingles does not play well off the bench. There's speculation right now that O'Neal's payday might have been to soften the blow of having to move him back to the bench so Ingles & Mudiay can maintain their roles.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: January 20, 2020, 05:03:19 PM »
Oh, speaking of Dante Exum...he's injured again. Give me a moment to register my shock & astonishment at this unprecedented turn of events.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/cavaliers-dante-exum-questionable-with-sprained-ankle/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 05:10:28 PM by broodwars »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: January 20, 2020, 09:19:37 PM »
I called 911 because the Lakers are getting murdered.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2031 on: January 20, 2020, 09:28:32 PM »
I called 911 because the Lakers are getting murdered by the refs.
Fixed!
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: January 20, 2020, 11:10:10 PM »
Nice win tonight as the Jazz just obliterated the visiting Indiana Pacers 118-88. The Pacers, clearly, were just utterly exhausted from playing the Nuggets the previous night. Strong contributions by Conley & Bradley. If his ego will tolerate it, this business of having him play off the bench could work really well in the long-term.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2033 on: January 21, 2020, 11:02:11 PM »
So tomorrow Zion plays in his first NBA game and everyone seems pretty excited about it.   Everyone in the media is buzzing around him. 
Here is a interview from him of expectations of him and how he will play for the team.

For BnM:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRvmFSz-5uw
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: January 22, 2020, 12:06:38 PM »
Should be interesting to see what happens. I usually don't trust the hype that one rookie player can make a huge difference, especially not when he's coming in after a prolonged absence due to injury... but Williamson has looked good at every level when he's played. Here's hoping he has fun and puts on a good show.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2035 on: January 22, 2020, 12:31:36 PM »
I like that the Pelicans are surging and starting to gel as a team.  Zion should be a good addition to the team and actually make a for a playoff run!  I was skeptical of letting him return at all this season, but if the Pels can sneak into the playoffs and maybe steal a series, I'll be satisfied.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: January 22, 2020, 04:12:00 PM »
..., but if the Pels can sneak into the playoffs and maybe steal a series, I'll be satisfied.

Wow, those are lofty goals just to be satisfied!  :D

I think most fans would be ecstatic if the Pels sneak into the playoffs - not just satisfied. The team is 3.5 games back from the 8th spot, and have a reasonable chance of making it if they stay healthy.

Steal a series? They are 10 games back from a position that (right now) would avoid playing against one of the LA power-houses.  Even then, you're probably talking about them stealing a series from Denver or Utah. Surely you meant steal a game, right? Because stealing a series would be one of the all-time great upsets in the NBA playoffs.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2037 on: January 22, 2020, 06:05:56 PM »
Yeah, I don't see the Pels taking one from the Clippers or Lakers.  If they can push either of those teams to six games, then "the ceiling is the roof" for next season.

But yes, my lofty hopes were for Denver and maybe Utah, but those are several spots away, lol.

I only said satisfied because I know some fanbases are "championship or bust!" but I'm thinking more about where they'll be next season.  To me, winning a series this season would tremendously increase my hopes for next season (the ceiling would be the roof, as they say).  Honestly, making the playoffs is more than satisfactory at this point, lol.  I really just want them to look good.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: January 22, 2020, 10:47:04 PM »
If the Pels make the playoffs (after a not-so-great, plenty of injuries start) then I think they'll be looking awesome for the future even if they get swept. Any experience they can gain at that level will be valuable right now.  :)

And even if they miss the playoffs, I think any development or culture they can build this year will be a huge win. The team is a few years away from serious contention even if things break right, so just seeing them grow on the way should be a fun ride.

Although I understand the "championship or bust" mentality in some cases (Lakers, Clippers, maybe the Bucks or Sixers), I hope that people don't look at young and exciting teams like the Pels/Mavs/Heat that way. All of those teams have bright futures!

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2039 on: January 22, 2020, 10:48:36 PM »
After one half, I think I'm ready to go back in the other direction. Zion is still gonna need to get a bit more practice in. Coach seems worried about conditioning. 8 minutes isn't a lot to go on. But the team is gonna need to re-gel was his minutes increase. They don't look bad though.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2040 on: January 22, 2020, 10:51:45 PM »
Although I understand the "championship or bust" mentality in some cases (Lakers, Clippers, maybe the Bucks or Sixers), I hope that people don't look at young and exciting teams like the Pels/Mavs/Heat that way. All of those teams have bright futures!

Yeah. I think "ringz culture" or something on Twitter. But you're right about teams like the Sixers. There's not a lot of places to go but to the top of you wanna see improvement.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: January 22, 2020, 10:57:35 PM »
Wow, this is the 1st Jazz-Warriors game this season I've actually been able to watch, and yeah...I know Curry's out, but man this Warriors team is bad. They just look absolutely listless out on the court. I'm not sure their record would be much better even if Curry was playing.

I was amused to see the Jazz starting lineup introduced with the Imperial March, though.  :P

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2042 on: January 22, 2020, 11:46:17 PM »
Zion is going off in the 4th quarter the past 2 minutes from 3!
Zion has scored the last 17 points for the Pelicans!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:49:05 PM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2043 on: January 23, 2020, 12:06:29 AM »
The starters for the Pels scored 81 as a team.
Lonzo(14), Jrue(12), Ingram(22), Zion(22) and Favors(11). 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2044 on: January 23, 2020, 12:37:14 AM »
17 point stretch in like 4 minutes for Zion.

For BnM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV4OVJd_ddI
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: January 23, 2020, 01:11:25 AM »
I was amused to see the Jazz starting lineup introduced with the Imperial March, though.  :P

The Warriors do that I think for every game. At least every game where i've watched the opening that I can remember.

17 point stretch in like 4 minutes for Zion.

For BnM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV4OVJd_ddI

It's HILARIOUS how Alvin Gentry kept trying to sub Zion out, and then he scores ANOTHER 3. LMAO
then tells Lonzo to call a timeout, and instead he back passes it to Zion for ANOTHER 3.  ROFLMAO

Zion did look winded though.He should be doing endless cardio to get his wind up and his weight down. Pels might've won had Z woken up earlier in the game and was more conditioned to keep playing while he was hot in the 4th.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: January 23, 2020, 10:21:33 AM »
I don't know if that kind of performance is repeatable (Zion going 4/4 from deep in particular) or if he'll be the basketball savior that people are hoping for.... but that first game hype was met for at least a few minutes when Zion went off. It's a shame about the minutes limitation forcing him out.

His body shape still terrifies me though. Something about his legs or knees just doesn't look right for such a large, explosive athlete. (Not that there is anything holding him back - I'm just worried about injuries/longevity.)

Also, although the threes are the real story, I loved that alley oop layup in the fourth. New Orleans has potential for some of the best lob connections in the NBA once Zion is healthy.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2047 on: January 23, 2020, 11:41:12 AM »
Seeing his entire leg still wrapped up like that made me nervous the entire time watching him.  Hopefully, now that he's better, he can focus on conditioning and getting some more leg strength.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2048 on: January 23, 2020, 12:45:40 PM »
I'd imagine that Zion was in and out of the lineup because of conditioning.  I know every like 3 minutes or so Zion was in and then got pulled after that time in the first half.  Really only in the 4th was he able to play to get in rhythm.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: January 23, 2020, 11:56:52 PM »
Nice to see Zion Williamson play. I’d still like him to get in better shape.

I really like the Nets’ home floor.

The Lakers need one more win to match their total wins from last season.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 05:52:01 PM by Adrock »