Author Topic: Hands on with Frank West in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom for Wii  (Read 2320 times)

Offline gypsyOtoko

• Japanese Correspondent, NWR
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Hands on with Frank West in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom for Wii
« on: September 29, 2009, 03:21:35 AM »
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blogArt.cfm?artid=20066

During CapcomÂ’s press only demo event held across the street from TGS this year, I had the opportunity to try out the latest addition to CapcomÂ’s team of characters - Frank West.    

This was my first time playing TvC, and while IÂ’m actually a huge fighting game fan, I was unaware of any of the new systems and game play mechanics introduced into CapcomÂ’s latest cross-over fighter. Unfortunately, I didnÂ’t have much of an idea of what was going on. That being said, I thought it would be a fun opportunity to try out Mr. West before the general public had a chance to use him upon the game's release.    

As with the rest of the cast FrankÂ’s arsenal of attacks hearken back to the game that he was introduced in - Dead Rising. His regular attacks include normal short kicks and jabs, as well as stronger attacks where he utilizes  objects, including a baseball bat, that he can use in the game.    

His special moves involve his camera, as you would expect, as well as zombies. One special move has him covering his head as a zombie falls from the sky (performed with a backwards dragon punch motion with kick); another one involves a shopping cart coming from behind him. Depending on the strength of the attack you use, the cart's passenger seems to change. Another special move involves him whipping out the camera and snapping a shot of a zombie that stumbles out into the arena.    

One of his super moves is an homage to the ability he has in Dead Rising to don different outfits - he suddenly appears in a Mega Man outfit and shoots a huge stream of energy out of the Mega Buster, which happens to be exactly what Mega ManÂ’s super is in the Marvel vs. Capcom games.    

I only had a chance to play two matches with him, and wasnÂ’t particularly sure what kind of strategy would best fit his play style. Aside from the obligatory jab attacks, all of his regular and special moves seemed quite slow. However, I didnÂ’t take the opportunity to check and see if the amount of power dealt by registering one of those blows would be a sufficient trade for his lack of speed.    

In any event, I like that Capcom is taking its newer franchises seriously by adding characters from them to their now seemingly flagship crossover games. It would be fun to see more of their newer characters in future crossover games, but for now, we can all look forward to playing as Frank West in the Western release of TvC, scheduled for release in January of 2010.