Author Topic: Indies for the Switch!  (Read 14187 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Indies for the Switch!
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2017, 08:48:22 PM »
Sequels to some of my favorite Wii U games!

SteamWorld Dig 2!
The Fall Part 2!
Flipping Death!

Edit: Here's a more organized look at the Indies Lineup

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 08:55:01 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2017, 09:28:45 PM »
I just went through that image ShyGuy posted and counted over 20 games that I'm going to buy, and that number will only go up as I learn more about some of the other ones.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2017, 09:49:47 PM »
They also abandoned the trademark last year. I suspect we'll get more details about it soon.

I saw that, but I'm assuming the NBA stands for National Basketball Association, so trademarks won't likely be an issue anyway. Maybe they went with a different developer though, just trying to read the tea leaves.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2017, 12:09:42 AM »
there is a lot to love on this list.

The fact that Cave Story port is on the list makes me hopeful for the full suite of Wayforward ports and maybe... MAYBE La Mulana.  there was a distinct lack of that on 3DS that ended up on Vita instead that kinda stuck in my craw.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2017, 01:37:27 AM »
WHO NEEDS THIRD PARTIES INDIES ARE THE NEW THIRD PARTIES

Seriously that is a long and exciting list of games. I am so happy/relieved to know there will be plenty of things to play on Switch this year besides the first party stuff. Nintendo has been laying groundwork with indies the last several years and now it appears that work is paying off. I also didn't truly realize until this Direct that Switch will be my preferred indie platform because so many indies lend themselves so well to being on a portable. More of this please, Nintendo.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2017, 04:14:17 AM »
Im really happy that there is a lot of indie support. The Nindies Showcase was great.

I really want Runner 3, Fast RMX and Graceful Explosion Machine. There are a few others Im interested in too like Overcooked, Stardew Valley, Oceanhorn, The Fall Part 2, and Yooka Laylee.

The Switch eShop looks like it will have even more good games than the 3DS.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2017, 04:39:47 PM »
I only have 2.75GB of ram. My processor was released in 2005. It's 2.5ghz dual core amd athlon 64. (4800)
It could be your operating system or your video card. I have a geforce 8200.
Your RAM is still above the minimum of 2 GB, and your CPU is better than mine which seems to be important. I don't know what graphics card it has, but since it's a laptop then it's probably a poor one. It's Win7 so I don't think that's a problem. The battery is dead at this point and it runs really hot, so it probably isn't running at full capacity.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2017, 05:01:20 PM »
well sometimes running newer operating systems on older hardware can be problematic. However, there is a balance thing going on. Right now I run into a ton of software compatibility issues. I can run Unity, but they did an update a few months ago and I can't update it now because they don't support xp anymore. So that sucks. I also tried to download a tiling program to integrate into unity, but it wouldn't run because of the same issue. So, I ended up programming my own tiling program instead. It works, but I'm probably losing some performance because I'm a hack programmer.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2017, 05:10:18 PM »
In another subject. Hopefully, Yooka Laylee gets a solid release date soon.

I'm betting between sometime in April and July. Are they adding the multi player mode?

The Switch's launch lineup seems a whole ton better when you know you got Zelda with Yooka Laylee around the corner. And also Snake Pass has been a game that has been pretty exciting to me for the last couple of weeks.

How great would Gamecube be if it came out with a new Zelda game and a new Banjo Kazooie game around the corner?

Offline RarityGamer

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2017, 08:52:50 AM »
I can't imagine Yooka-Laylee will be too far behind the PC/PS4/XBX release. The game is made with Unity and it all comes down to how compatible unity is with Switch at the present time.

The indie scene on the switch is pretty big in my opinion. Being able to play these games on the go is great, I just hope they can get some of Telltales titles too.

Edit: Also, I really hope Nintendo push the virtual console much more from now on. The concept they introduced back on the Wii with not just Nintendo, but other consoles too is a brilliant one, but it's yet to really happen sadly.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:57:22 AM by RarityGamer »

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2017, 02:10:28 PM »
The problem with Virtual Console is that it has become much easier for developers to publish all of their games bundled together on other digital services rather than waiting for Nintendo to court them for specific titles.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2017, 02:27:02 PM »
I would not mind if developers made special updated editions of their old games. The number of companies that made the classic games that we love is actually pretty small.

Capcom
Konami/hudson/ultra
Square Enix
Tecmo Koei
Technos
Namco Bandai
Midway(WB games)
Acclaim(someone has the rights)
Taito
Natsume
SNK
Rare(the only one really not possible)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 02:36:00 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2017, 02:33:01 PM »
Sadly, the makers of Paper Monsters Recut (which was a fun platformer on Wii U) as well as collaborators on The Deer God, Mobot Studios has closed down. :(

https://twitter.com/mobotstudios
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2017, 03:26:46 PM »
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/hex_heroes_developer_outlines_nintendo_switch_eshop_curation_policies

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/axiom_verge_team_still_awaiting_approval_for_nintendo_switch_release

Listen, I'm all in favor of stricter controls and standards in order to keep the NinjaPigs and the RCMADIAXs of the world from flooding the eShop. But Vroom in the Night Sky is a game you can buy right now for the Switch and meanwhile Tom Happ and Dan Adelman can't even get fucking approval so they can start working on a Switch port of Axiom Verge.

I want to believe in Baker and the eShop but this isn't helping.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2017, 03:59:21 PM »
It looks like they put a 6 month hold on most ports, trying to avoid a wave of them that would bury exclusive new games and make the system look also-ran.  Probably a bad idea, considering how little there is to play right now, but it makes sense.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2017, 04:38:15 PM »
Every indie game on Switch right now is a port. The only thing they managed to get was a month exclusivity on Specter of Torment. I get that you want to highlight the games you've managed to get as exclusives that are coming down the line, but when Dan freaking Adelman can't get a clear answer on when he can tell his guy to start working on a Switch port of a critically acclaimed game I think you may have some (gasp) communication problems. Maybe Baker's still understaffed on his side but I'd think a game like Axiom Verge should be an easy green flag for your system.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2017, 05:44:27 PM »
This is a big problem with NOA. NOA has no idea what they are doing. Why doesn't a reporter call Reggie and ask what is going on?

Hey NWR? Do you consider yourself Journalists? What's going on?

Reading the Hex Heroes thing...they should just change the policy to "unless they apply for a waver"

On the other hand they could plan on within 6 months bringing games wii u owners bought over. Which would piss people off who bought two copies.

If Tom Happ wants to speed it up. He could create "Axiom Verge:Jacked!" If he adds something to the game, then it is no longer a port. Historically follow Konami's example. Ultra games anybody?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_Games
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 05:47:21 PM by ThePerm »

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2017, 11:18:58 AM »
I would not mind if developers made special updated editions of their old games. The number of companies that made the classic games that we love is actually pretty small.

Capcom
Konami/hudson/ultra
Square Enix
Tecmo Koei
Technos
Namco Bandai
Midway(WB games)
Acclaim(someone has the rights)
Taito
Natsume
SNK
Rare(the only one really not possible)

you're missing a few there, Perm.

If we're talking NES Stuff, there's no Sunsoft, Irem, Tose (yes, they were ninja-deving games back then!) Lucas Arts, and... actually, y'know what? this is a fruitless excercise.

Also, please name for me a single Acclaim game that you believe is a 'classic' that is in need of an update.

I find your strange Vulcan logic here confuses me deeply, Perm.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2017, 03:53:52 PM »
That also depends on your definition of 'classic' Clex. Are we using that as a blanket term for retro games, or is it more specifically the highly rated and higher selling titles (as opposed to the niche games)
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2017, 12:15:29 PM »
Out of curiosity I looked at the list of Acclaim games released on Nintendo systems and there's one that I would like to see an updated version of: Shadow Man.  Not sure that qualifies as a "classic" but it's by far my favorite Acclaim game.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2017, 01:58:26 PM »
I like the Turok games, though I dunno if Acclaim still has the rights to those games. I know the first N64 Turok has a remaster in the past year or two, though I guess that one won't be coming to consoles, much less a Nintendo one.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2017, 02:18:37 PM »
Well Acclaim published comics about Turok and Shadowman for a bit which led to the Iguana/Acclaim games on N64. A quick google says that Shadowman's comic is currently on hiatus but the rights are held by Valiant (they also had Turok 2 decades back). Turok's comic is now over at Dynamite.

Acclaim went bankrupt and its assets got bought by a company called Acclaim Games (no relation), Throwback Entertainment (looks like a sticker company) aaaand WeGo from South Korea now hold the rights to Re-Volt and those kind of N64 titles.

There was a Turok game in 2008 for X360 it looks like, but that was distributed by Touchstone Games (and Touchstone is a brand Disney uses to release 'mature' content or bad films they don't want souring their brand).

SO long story short: Turok is probably under Disney unless the license has lapsed by now, Shadowman is under Valiant (they also released the PS2 sequel together with Acclaim). Seems highly unlikely that they'll make it to virtual console, certainly not by Acclaim. Sequels/new games seem more likely, though Shadowman... I mean if they're not even publishing the comic anymore, sounds like a dormant IP at best.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2017, 06:26:14 PM »
I plan on picking up Turok 1/2 on Steam once the second one hits. T2 is taking longer because they are getting the multiplayer up and running for online play.

There was an animated Turok movie that released a few years ago. It didn't review too well. The full film is on YouTube and it wasn't half bad, though it was rather violent for an animated film. Had him fighting dinosaurs and enemy natives. It got me interested enough I might dig up the old Turok games I have and give them a whirl again.

(Also gives me an itch to go over my old game design notes from high school and I had plans for a dinosaur themed game. Might be able to do more with it now that I know a thing or two about programming.)
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2017, 06:45:18 PM »
(Also gives me an itch to go over my old game design notes from high school and I had plans for a dinosaur themed game. Might be able to do more with it now that I know a thing or two about programming.)

Sounds like a pretty neat pitch, but it feels like something's missing still. Might I suggest adding a fox?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2017, 07:45:44 PM »
Acclaim published the Wizards and Warriors series on NES. Those were actually made by Rare. Acclaim/Iguana on n64 though were a force.