Author Topic: Nintendo Releasing Classic NES This November  (Read 14912 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Nintendo Releasing Classic NES This November
« on: July 14, 2016, 01:20:00 AM »

An official Nintendo Entertainment System with HDMI? What a time to be alive.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/43024/nintendo-releasing-classic-nes-this-november

Nintendo will be releasing new hardware this November, but not what most expected.

The classic Nintendo Entertainment System will be reissued on November 11 in North America and Europe, with a suggested US MSRP of $59.99 (Australia $99.99). It will be a smaller version of the system that will come with a new Wii-compatible Classic Controller (in NES style) and 30 games. Existing Classic Controllers will plug into the controller ports, or the NES Classic Controller can be purchased separately for $9.99 (AU$19.99). The system will use HDMI (cable included) to plug into the TV.

The games included with the base unit are:

• Nintendo published: Balloon Fight, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, Dr. Mario, Excitebike, Ice Climber, Kid Icarus, Kirby's Adventure, Mario Bros, Metroid, Punch-Out! Featuring Mr. Dream, StarTropics, Super Mario Bros 1, 2 and 3, The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
  • 3rd party: Bubble Bobble (SquareEnix by Taito), Castlevania, Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (Konami), Double Dragon II: The Revenge (Arc System Works), Final Fantasy (SquareEnix), Galaga (Bandai Namco), Ghosts and Goblins (Capcom), Gradius (Konami), Mega Man 2 (Capcom), Ninja Gaiden (KoeiTecmo), Pac-Man (Bandai Namco), Super C (Konami), Tecmo Bowl (KoeiTecmo)

Suspend point functionality will be supported for the games as well.

PAL systems (Europe and Australia) will not include the AC adapter for the system, but the North American systems will.

Canadian pricing is $79.99 for the console and $12.99 for the controller.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Releasing Classic NES This November
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 08:27:08 AM »
Well that was unexpected.  Let me be first spoiled, entitled Nintendo fan to make a complaint: If only it was a mini SNES instead!
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 08:51:06 AM »
Wow.  That's a pretty top-shelf lineup of games for $2/each.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 08:58:38 AM »
Pleasantly surprised by the third-party additions, and definitely interested.
Also interested in picking up an extra (or two) classic controller in the NES style.

Very cool.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 09:19:54 AM »
Im not a huge fan of the NES, but I will probably buy this. It is pretty cool and $100 isnt too bad. I would be worried if it doesn't have save states though, that woud put me off buying it.
I have no real interest in buying VC games on Wii U or 3DS, but getting a new bit of hardware with 30 games on it already would be worth it.

I agree with Disco Stu about the Mini SNES, but I already have at least 30 super games. I would buy a Mini 64 because I dont own a 64.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 09:22:09 AM by Lemonade »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 09:51:43 AM »
I think this is officially Nintendo's big holiday release, and I think it's a good move.  It's not gonna sell 3DSes, but at least it'll keep Nintendo relevant in the public mindshare as the NX launch approaches.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 10:34:24 AM »
I have some questions about this thing. It's obviously one of those shite lil' plug n' play things. will it have eShop access? is it made by those same jokers who did the Neo Geo Gold and the Sega Genesis HDMI Plug n' plays that had shite emulation and bad build quality?

Also, this is the complete affirmation that They really don't believe in Paper Mario Color Splash to carry them into the holiday.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 10:58:17 AM »
Yeah, if Nintendo is making these babies then it's and instant buy for me. If someone else is making them then it will probably be wait-and-see. I agree with Stu, I want an mini-SNES. Also waiting for SNES Remix.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 11:41:52 AM »
Pretty cool that this seems to use the controller ports that the Wiimote has for classic controllers. Also sounds like you can use the NES Classic Controller here and plug it into a Wii Remote for your Wii/WiiU!

And seriously, first I was "That's nice" about this but when I saw Dr. Mario I realized my entire family needed it. That game is a killer app for my Mom and Dad!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 12:02:05 PM »
This is a great idea for Nintendo to finally leverage their Virtual Console lineup.  Back on the Wii the Virtual Console should have been a bigger deal but Nintendo never advertised it and so many outside of the internet circles didn't even know it existed.

I wouldn't be surprised if this lineup is going to be the next big thing for Nintendo.  The fact it's called Nintendo Classics: Mini NES points very heavily to a SNES and N64 coming in the future as well.  Hell, maybe for the Gamecube's 20th anniversary we might have a Mini Gamecube released at that time as well.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 12:10:48 PM »
Any word on a Japanese Famicom-mini release?  I'd probably import that.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 01:14:24 PM »
My buy-or-no buy decision will be based off of:

• Whether it'll play cartridges, or at least have options to buy more games in the future.
  • How good the controller appears to be, or if the buttons are sticky/tough to press.
  • If it appears that they're flying off the shelves and I won't even have an option to get it later down the road.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 01:51:06 PM »
Does it have a cartridge port?  If it doesn't then this goes from must-buy to pretty much useless to me.  A reliable first party NES would be fantastic but if it's not that why don't I just stick to the VC on the Wii or Wii U?

Seems like an obvious product idea either way that I'm surprised Nintendo didn't think of sooner.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 02:14:59 PM »
I'd like to buy this.  I would like to know if it accepts cartridges or not.  It'd be much more functional if it did but I'm guessing it's just using the emulation used on the Wii and they don't have an actual NES inside the thing.  I would love to be proven wrong on that though.  The system just looks smaller than an original cartridge.

I'll be getting one regardless.  I want my son to know about the history of video games and this is a good way to introduce the NES to him since the one we have is broken.

Offline fred13

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 02:27:18 PM »
I would guess that if this sells really sell then we'll see an SNES one next, but if it doesn't sell well then that'll be the end of it

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 02:33:29 PM »
Brilliant strategy. This thing is going to be on EVERY 'holiday shopping guide' this year. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

I think I may give in and get one.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 03:11:53 PM »
Seriously, I could almost justify this as a Dr. Mario machine alone. The family NES basically became that for like 5 straight years.

But even outside of that, yowza, this doesn't have everything but it's got BIG NAMES! Final Fantasy, Tecmo Bowl, Kirby, Gradius, Zelda, Mario, Bubble Bobble, Galaga?

And also, Nintendo just found a way to sell me more Classic Controllers in the form of the NES controllers that will be released with this. Good short-term money-making play to tide them over a bit until the NX.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 04:23:10 PM »
Does it have a cartridge port?  If it doesn't then this goes from must-buy to pretty much useless to me.  A reliable first party NES would be fantastic but if it's not that why don't I just stick to the VC on the Wii or Wii U?

Seems like an obvious product idea either way that I'm surprised Nintendo didn't think of sooner.

I mean, granted, there's a lot of these "30-in-1" retro consoles that don't, but I think even the latest iteration of the Sega Genesis one had a cartridge port. 

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2016, 05:32:15 PM »
That's a really neat holiday gift, it has tons of variety and works straight out of the box with none of the nonsense of the modern game consoles. If I had children this is how I would introduce them to videogames.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2016, 06:30:55 PM »
NoA has clarified:

- The cartridge slot doesn't work.
- It does not connect to the internet
- The 30 games announced are the only one that will be included.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 06:44:06 PM »
Still a good value, The selection of games is pretty good (well, Castlevania II has problems), which average out to $2 each. And it comes with a controller you can use for the Wii.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 07:20:13 PM »
So, those controllers are compatible with Wii/Wii U via Wiimotes which is some hot ****. Playing NES games with that sharp-edged, non ergonomic rectangle controller is how God intended it. PLEASE don't screw up that controller, Nintendo.

I'm definitely getting one of those controllers, but I'm probably getting the system too. Wii U emulation of NES games is, uhm, bad. Seriously, it was much better on the Wii. So hopefully they don't screw that up either.

Also if you want one, you better preorder. Demand for this thing is gonna be insane.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 07:38:00 PM »
Maybe it does have save states. On the game list page it says "Players needn’t worry about losing any hard-earned progress either as each game has multiple suspend points, allowing them to start where they left off at a later time, no passwords needed."​
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Classic-Mini/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-1124287.html

But that is right after talking about the Wii U VC, so Im not sure.

I would preorder one, but I will be on a holiday on the other side of the country when it comes out. I might have to pick one up while Im over there.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 07:40:16 PM by Lemonade »

Offline Darth Asterix

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 07:57:09 PM »
Will get for the wiimote compatible controllers, if nothing else. I have one of the Super Famicom classic controllers and adore it.

Also, taking wagers on the over/under until somebody manages to hack a cartridge slot into one of these things.