Author Topic: RFN RetroActive #30: Goldeneye (Wii) - Nintendo WFC Edition  (Read 16366 times)

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive #30: Goldeneye (Wii) - Nintendo WFC Edition
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 08:39:26 PM »
FC: 164840803960

Adding everyone else!

Offline Chiramii

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Neogaf
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 09:00:52 PM »
Haven't touched this game since the NWR Wi-Fi night back in February 2011. I really wanted to join in on all the fun this night but I'm getting an error code when i try to go online (Error: 20101)

The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection is currently experiencing problems due to a high amount of players, or is temporarily down. Please try again later.

Have a great time guys. :P
Lovin' my Pikachu 3DS XL

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 09:03:12 PM »
Adding everyone sbove
I am terrible, come and shoot me in the face
Player name is FATBOND
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Chiramii

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Neogaf
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 09:06:34 PM »
Never mind! Got it working now, adding everyone atm.

My FC is: 0882 6493 5483
Lovin' my Pikachu 3DS XL

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 09:39:05 PM »
Game's full. What's the ceiling on this?
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 09:45:21 PM »
Got a few games in... then the Wii U crashed on me.

James, have you given your code to anyone?

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2014, 10:08:54 PM »
I had a some of the guys in here from last time we did one of these already so I just went in and tried to join game. 270504674211
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Penguin_Of_Thyme

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 10:15:46 PM »
Going to try to play a few games of goldeneye this week. My friend code is 377260511626
Jared Rosenberg
Video Producer, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2014, 10:20:40 PM »
Wii Number: 6968 6321 3215 7156
FC: 3506 0594 5392
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2014, 10:33:49 PM »
Golden Gun is such a fun mode. I will miss online for this game.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 10:38:01 PM »
Aw man, just saw the front page thing. Is anyone still on?

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2014, 10:40:27 PM »
Yes a bunch are still on
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2014, 10:47:21 PM »
Aw, currently full right now.

If there are any other stragglers, you can send me an invite and we'll find our own match.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2014, 01:55:28 AM »
I had a great time jumping back into this game tonight, even if I was only able to spend about 30 minutes playing with the RFN community!

I really do adore this game. While I was waiting to begin playing tonight, I decided to check my stats. I thought I had put around 100 hours into the multiplayer, but it turns out that I've actually put 8 days and 9 hours into the online mode -- and that's probably not counting the times my Wii locked up and I had to do a hard reset. I've put 8 days of my life into Goldeneye 007's online mode on the Wii, and now they are shutting it down. All I can say is, "Time well spent!"

When I think about it, this was really my first online console experience. Sure, I dabbled in Battalion Wars II's online mode, but this was the first game that I really spent serious time online playing. It certainly isn't perfect, but it did the job insofar as connecting me with other human beings to play the game, and getting the drop on other people really was rather satisfying.

There are a couple of things in particular that I really enjoyed in Goldeneye's online multiplayer mode. The first is that the mechanics of the game are fairly simple and not overly complicated. You can carry two weapons, you can crouch, you can melee attack, and you have a grenade or explosive of some sort that you can deploy. Where things do get a little more complex is the unlocking and application of the various weapons and upgrades you acquire as you level up. These can be game changers, which can completely make the game unbalanced if playing with lower-level opponents. I remember when I first started playing the game and was getting killed left and right, but as I slowly got the hang of the controls and learned the layout of the levels (which is extremely beneficial), I started to rise through the ranks. Unlocking those upgrades was both satisfying and addictive because it felt like I had earned them, especially after playing the role of fresh meat for so many players who outranked me.

There are a lot of fun modes in the online component of the game, all of which are worth a try. Golden Gun mode is great fun, and hero mode is fairly interesting as well. I also have to say that I really enjoyed the majority of the maps -- a lot of them have plenty of nooks and crannies one can wedge oneself into and surprise another player. Even more interesting is that the levels change depending on the mode that you are playing. For example, Statue Park has several sections open up and many different tunnels appear if you are playing the mode in which you must destroy the other team's briefcase. I think the level designs in the game are terrific -- each is fairly unique and offers areas for close-quarters combat as well as open areas to attack from afar. The Jungle and Outpost are the two I enjoy the most, but I enjoyed playing on all of them.

One disappointing aspect of the online mode is not being able to create or customize your own avatar. You are always assigned a random character, and in some levels, certain players have a much greater advantage. A player that is dressed in all black will be much more difficult to spot in levels like the sewers, or in the dark corners of places like the jungle.

One of the most memorable things that happened to me while playing the online mode was dropping into a game where all of the XP rewards seemed to have gone haywire -- either that, or someone was playing with some sort of mod, which was the far more likely scenario. Anywho, whenever I would kill an opponent, I would get something upwards of 1000 XP each time. By the end of the round, I had something like 24000 XP! On this particular day, I remember level up several times in the course of just a few matches. Luckily, this was near the level cap -- likely around level 50 or so, which was a big help because higher levels require a ridiculous amount of XP to level up. Unfortunately, the host left before I could really max out my stats, but I remember it being one of the most bizarre and enjoyable set of matches I had played.

I am sad that the online mode of this game will soon be no more. It's quite unfortunate. I may have to make the transition to Black Ops II on the Wii U, which is a game I own but haven't yet had the opportunity to play.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2014, 11:54:17 AM »
Really enjoyed playing last night. Got my butt kicked mostly which made the odd kill that much more rewarding for me.
My son played a couple of rounds too. He is much better at FPSs than I am.

One thing we both noticed was the frequency with which players were able to eliminate each other simultaneously. In one match, this happened six times in the span of less than 10 minutes. Did anyone else notice this? It seemed an odd game quirk that is much rarer in a game like Call of Duty. Maybe it happens because of lag between shooting players? If so, I wonder if has less to do with online lag and more to do with the Wii's ability to process the online info it is receiving?

Other than that, I had not trouble with online at all. Friends were easily added and the feature where you can join the match of a friend who is online worked pretty well. There were a few times near the end of my play session where my friend's matches were already full but I didn't feel like waiting around for a slot to open up so I just moved on to a random match instead. I wonder how long I would have had to wait? Did anyone try?
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2014, 07:46:17 PM »
It was nice to finally play some with the NWR crew!

I am sad that the online mode of this game will soon be no more. It's quite unfortunate.
I've been getting my fill of Wi-Fi games recently before the service shuts down, and this is one game I've been playing a lot. Would you like to play some more before May 20th? Feel free to shoot me a message if you have some free time, and we can set up a time to party up and shoot some n00bs.

And yeah, if you entered a match where you were getting some crazy number of XP per kill like 1,000 or whatever, that was someone using a hack to award a lot of XP. Be glad they weren't using other hacks, because I've run into things like infinite ammo and invincibility, among others.

I like the idea of Golden Gun but I prefer team games, so it's too bad it has no team option. Heroes mode is a good idea, but it should force someone to be the Hero; since it doesn't hardly anyone does since killing a Hero results in a lot of points, and they are hardly stronger than normal. Black Box is my fave mode, even if a little unbalanced; it's typically easier to destroy the box than download the data, as if anyone has the auto-shotgun then they can destroy the box within seconds.

One thing we both noticed was the frequency with which players were able to eliminate each other simultaneously. Did anyone else notice this? I wonder if has less to do with online lag and more to do with the Wii's ability to process the online info it is receiving.
This isn't an effect of the Wii but just the way the game is programmed to handle lag. I've played a lot of Call of Duty on the Wii, and this sort of thing rarely happens in those games. It could also be worse; in the two Conduit games, it isn't uncommon to have a kill register 10-15 seconds after you already got killed by the enemy.