Poll

Which Version of Breath of the Wild?

Wii U
8 (25%)
NX
7 (21.9%)
I'm loaded so both!
5 (15.6%)
Need more info, I want to see the NX changes first.
12 (37.5%)
I'm not getting it because...
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: LOZ Breath of the Wild: What version are you getting?  (Read 7200 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
LOZ Breath of the Wild: What version are you getting?
« on: June 14, 2016, 06:26:06 PM »
Curious to see what version of BOTW y'all plan to get and your reasons for it. At this point I plan on getting the Wii U version to cap off my system collection, and I expect that one to become more difficult to find down the road. I'll need to see a very compelling reason to get the NX version. I preferred the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess over the Wii one so I'm expecting similar differences here.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:28:14 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: LOZ Breath of the Wild: What version are you getting?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 06:27:48 PM »
Gonna go with the 3DS version because I like being able to play games anywhere and not be tied to a TV Screen.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 06:29:12 PM »
Dammit Khush! Why am I not surprised? ;)
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 06:41:09 PM »
The Wii U version because I'm not buying the NX at launch no matter what, and it would probably be a while down the ways if I get one.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 06:45:37 PM »
Wii U because I have what will be a 3 year old preorder on it for nearly 40% off.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 07:01:00 PM »
I don't expect to buy the NX at launch regardless of it's features or games since it'll only get cheaper. I'll wait for a good deal and a built up software library before I jump in. So Wii U for me please.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 07:07:38 PM »
Depends. If the NX is going to have some convoluted controller, then I'm going too just stick with the Wii U version. Otherwise I'll get both because I'm an honest idiot
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 07:49:56 PM »
Gotta see where the NX is at first.  I am leaning on the version for the console I already own but what if the NX is just so impressive I have to buy one on day one?  I'm not optimistic that that is the case but I've got a while to make a decision so I figure I ought to wait until the facts are straight.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 07:54:23 PM »
Wii U because I have what will be a 3 year old preorder on it for nearly 40% off.

High five on that!  (Although my preorder is probably only 2 years old...)
Buying Nintendo first-party games with that discount is awesome, because some of them essentially never drop that low again while the system is current.
NNID: ejamer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 10:08:49 PM »
It's extremely likely I'll end up buying NX at launch, so I'll probably get this there.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 01:17:42 AM »
If I can get an NX at launch, I might get it there.  But if I can't, then I'm probably not gonna wait for it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 05:59:29 AM »
NX. I won't act like I'm not buying one at launch.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 08:12:44 AM »
I really think that TP is better on the Gamecube than the Wii. So right now Im thinking Wii U version, but that could change when we find out what the NX is.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 12:41:30 PM »
I expect the NX to launch with this either at the same time as the U version or slightly before so I suppose the NX version.

My guess is the NX will have a touch screen controller that is just sleeker and more comfortable to hold than the Gamepad so I'm not worried about any drastic wiimote like changes.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 12:47:40 PM »
I'll probably get both because that's the kind of person I've become. But you can tell the GamePad has been nearly phased out of this game so the NX will probably be the one to play.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 01:37:07 PM »
I'll probably get both because that's the kind of person I've become. But you can tell the GamePad has been nearly phased out of this game so the NX will probably be the one to play.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It's like with this game they didn't try anything to zany or revolutionary with the controller which I am perfectly fine with. I honestly expected the Shika Slab to be like Luigi's DS or the Tingle Tuner with Link running around holding it like we do and having to manipulate it with motion constantly. Glad that isn't the case.

RomanceDawn

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 01:48:28 PM »
I expect to have the NX at launch, so the NX version, under the assumption that it will be the better version of the game. As Donald pointed out, it might be hard for Canadians to turn down the discounted Wii U version they've got with pre-order deals if home console games are still $80 here when the game launches, but Breath of the Wild is going to be the kind of game where I want the best possible experience. 

Offline Rubber Band AI

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 02:39:49 PM »
Bought both Wii and Wii U at or around launch and experienced significant game droughts soon after with both, so I'm planning to wait until I've exhausted Wii U's games before jumping to NX. Right now I just have too many I haven't played (between Wii U and 3DS) that I can't imagine wanting another console as early as next year.

There is that little bit of me, though, that knows they could blow me away or reveal another game that I must have. I'd also be enticed if you could bring your whole Wii U library over and continuing to buy digital Wii U/virtual console games right from the get go.

For now, Wii U.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 03:58:11 PM »
I'm holding off on this game for a while given my backlog, so I'm in a "wait and see" status until some more impressions are out detailing differences between the two versions.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2016, 04:08:19 PM »
I'm hearing that the NX version would have some sort of enhanced visuals? But seeing no sources. Anyone else hear this anywhere?

I do remember someone from Nintendo saying the U and NX versions would be the same experience though.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 04:08:45 PM »

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It's like with this game they didn't try anything to zany or revolutionary with the controller which I am perfectly fine with. I honestly expected the Shika Slab to be like Luigi's DS or the Tingle Tuner with Link running around holding it like we do and having to manipulate it with motion constantly. Glad that isn't the case.

Maybe this game has virtually no Gamepad usage because the NX has no Gamepad equivalent.  If they ditch the screen controller, at least as standard issue, then it makes sense that this game that has to work on both platforms has no real requirement for the Gamepad's unique features.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2016, 08:08:43 PM »
Judging by those patents and the potential future of the DS and Wii U virtual console, I feel like we will be getting another screened controller for sure. Not a big clunky game gear where only one can be used per system, but something smaller, sleeker and much more comfortable. Something like the size of our average cell phones that look just as techy and less gamegeary.

Zelda doesn't use it heavily like Star Fox or Mario Maker but I feel like they will want to cary on all that resource management and beacon placement with the touch screen as well as the gyro aiming for certain items.

RomanceDawn

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2016, 09:04:53 PM »
I need more information on NX to make a decision, because right now I'm not inclined to get one. So if I don't buy an NX, the Wii U version is the obvious choice. If the NX is another round of Gimmicky Nintendo bullshit and the Wii U version looks superior ala the GameCube version of Twilight Princess, the Wii U version is again the obvious choice. But if the NX as a console caters more to my design sensibilities and looks & plays much better than the Wii U version, the NX version seems the obvious choice. We need more information, and Nintendo's not giving it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2016, 04:08:45 AM »
On the assumption that the NX is has higher technical fidelity, the NX version because I want the highest and/or most stable frame rate.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2016, 03:38:58 PM »
Chances are the Wii U be my last console.  I just don't get the joy from gaming anymore and feel more like I'm playing out of duty than actual fun.  I can't justify buying a new console (especially at launch) for one game.  Unless NX turns out to be something completely next level (which I doubt).  Depending on what else ends up on it I may pick one up a few years down the track.

While I would just love the extra fidelity that would presumably come with the NX I'll just be sticking with the Wii U port.  Nintendo are one of the few developers I trust to release a smooth, stable port.