Poll

What device do you use most to Netflix? (choose all that apply)

Game Console
22 (42.3%)
Smart Box (AppleTV, Roku, Blu-Ray player)
10 (19.2%)
Smart Phone/Tablet (& Chromecast)
8 (15.4%)
Smart TV
3 (5.8%)
Computer/HTPC
9 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: All Things Netflix! Coming Soon: The Netflix Experience, Live and In Person!??  (Read 321825 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: All Things Netflix! Thread of Recommendations and Request
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2011, 08:06:46 PM »
I've watched episodes of ST:TNG and I've seen a few eps of SG1 I believe, but it's just not something I feel like investing in at this time.

I enjoyed that newest Star Trek movie and will watch the sequel, but the tv show is just a little too much for me to get into right now. Not the type of show I wan to marathon for the next 6 months just to catch up.
I remember the Stargate movie, but the show never really captured me, so I'm not really interested at this time.
I've never seen an episode of BSG so I have no idea what it is like, but also just something I'm not interested in at the time.

I would love another show like Firefly, Eureka, Supernatural, the good seasons of Smallville, or The Gates. All good shows with a supernatural or scifi twist to them.

In my head I lump TNG/DS9/Enterprise/(the one with the female captain), BSG/Caprica, SG1/U all into the same category, therefore I'm just not looking for that kind of show right now.

tl;dr - I don't know, just because

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2011, 08:19:49 PM »
From what I've seen of the various Stargates, you're not missing much. I was however quite fond of the newer BSG... for the most part.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2011, 08:48:45 PM »
I'll just say, TNG and DS9 are completely different shows. Like I said, DS9 feels like a modern cable drama, that just happens to also be Star Trek. And lumping BSG in there with all of those is just ridiculous.

DS9 and BSG are great character-driven shows. You may not be in the mood for them right now, but you should definitely watch them at some point. Based on your posting history I'm fairly sure you'll like them, especially BSG.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2011, 09:35:39 PM »
Like I said, I've never seen a single episode of BSG as I automatically lumped it in with things like Star Trek & StarGate. That may not be fair to the show, but how would I know, I've never seen it.

I have no idea what it is about, something about Sylons and space and a looming intergalactic  battle or something like that.

Maybe someday... or one day soon if I'm bored and it's up on Netflix, but that automatic assumption put it in my not interest box.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2011, 10:06:29 PM »
Battlestar Galactica is a character drama. Saying it's about space battles is like saying Breaking Bad is about meth; that's really just the backdrop for great character interaction. It is on Netflix, so check it out sometime.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TylerTreese

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • 8wn
« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2011, 02:28:50 PM »
Howl's Moving Castle was available for Instant Streaming a few weeks ago (should still be up but you never know), definitely worth streaming if you haven't seen it.
Ninja Of Love

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
BNM, which episodes of TNG did you watch? Season 1 pretty much blows chunks, which the episodes ranging from terrible to mediocre. Season 2 is a little better, season 3 picks up though not every episode after is great. DS9 is much better though, my favorite Trek series, only season 1 is kinda meh.

I tried getting into Battlestar Galactica on Netflix, but I was just bored with season 1 and had no interest in going further since I already had a big backlog of stuff to watch.

One of my friends in high school loved Stargate and had every season of SG-1 on DVD (this was before Atlantis or Universe existed). It seemed alright, though I only watched 1 episode.

I have to concur with Howl's Moving Castle, good movie.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2011, 03:13:41 PM »
Legends from Earthsea should be watched right after Howl's Moving Castle.

I love SG1. The first season, like any other show, stumbles around trying to establish the characters and give reason to care. As the seasons progress, things get going until Season 9. The loss of Richard Dean Anderson killed it for me. Actors make a show, the chemistry they have with each other. And the escapees from Farscape do not have the comparable level of chemistry. And T'lk having hair was a stupid idea among other stupid ideas.

Funny, I haven't been able to get invested into Battlestar nor Smallville. I think the pacing of both shows throw me off.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2011, 04:35:44 PM »
I've seen a few episodes of BSG and at first, I was really into it. It was like "The Thing" meets "Alien" meets the future. But then it slowed to a crawl and I quickly got bored because I already knew who "The Thing" was but it took forever for it to try to **** up everyone else and when it did, I didn't care. I think I made it 5 episodes deep. That's not good for a show that I really liked from the get go.

Agrred. Howl's Moving Castle is an awesome movie; simply from the sheer imagination of it all. It's a little sappy sure, but it's also pretty funny (gotta love the fire). Also the american dub is one of the best dub's I've ever seen. I haven't seen Legends from Earthsea yet...Is that Studio Ghibli as well?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 04:37:57 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2011, 04:37:17 PM »
Truth is I actually like TNG, I'm just not into it.

I know Capt. Jean Luc Picard and the Clingons, and the Borg and Data and all that stuff.
I've actually enjoyed random episodes from here and there throughout the (every version of the) series, but I was just never into actually following the show.

So it's not that I don't like it, I'm just not interested in following the show from start to finish.
At least not at this point in time.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2011, 05:25:59 PM »
I know Capt. Jean Luc Picard and the Clingons, and the Borg and Data and all that stuff.

I'd consider myself a bit of a Trekker, and even I'm not familiar with the Clingons.

:P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2011, 05:27:53 PM »
I don't think it was Family Guy but it was another cartoon that had Clingons in an episode.  They got socks and like stuck to them from there static electricity.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2011, 05:37:44 PM »
Klingons... whatever ;D

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2011, 12:33:55 AM »
I haven't seen Legends from Earthsea yet...Is that Studio Ghibli as well?

Yes.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2011, 09:36:56 AM »
I'm just not a fan of Studio Ghibli's work personally.
Its much the same reason I'm not a fan of watching Golf on TV.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2011, 09:59:22 AM »
Wow. Just wow. Either you watched the wrong movies and formed an opion from a small sampling, or you're inhuman. I wouldn't be surprised if its the latter.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2011, 10:41:25 AM »
Wow. Just wow. Either you watched the wrong movies and formed an opion from a small sampling, or you're inhuman. I wouldn't be surprised if its the latter.
Be one of us.

Seriously though let me pull up a list of there work:

1 Castle in the Sky (Seen Most of (Own))
2 Grave of the Fireflies (Watched Twice.  I think everyone should see this particular one. Very Depressing.)
3 My Neighbor Totoro (Seen a good amount of(Own))
4 Kiki's Delivery Service (I've seen this one(Own))
5 Only Yesterday (Haven't seen)
6 Porco Rosso (Haven't Seen)
7 Ocean Waves (Haven't Seen)
8 Pom Poko (Haven't Seen)
9 Whisper of the Heart (Haven't watched this one(Own))
10 Princess Mononoke (I want to say I have seen this one.  I know at the least its been in the house.)
11 My Neighbors the Yamadas  (Haven't Seen)
12 Spirited Away (I haven't watched this(Own))
13 The Cat Returns (I know I've seen part of this at the very least.)
14 Howl's Moving Castle (Seen)
15 Tales from Earthsea  (Haven't Seen)
16 Ponyo (Seen.  I enjoyed Ponyo but, yet again much like watching golf on TV.  Pretty to watch and I can only get into it in a rudimentary way. (own))

I think I have a pretty good sampling.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2011, 10:48:23 AM »
Be one of us.

Seriously though let me pull up a list of there work:

1 Castle in the Sky (Seen Most of (Own))
2 Grave of the Fireflies (Watched Twice.  I think everyone should see this particular one. Very Depressing.)
3 My Neighbor Totoro (Seen a good amount of(Own))
4 Kiki's Delivery Service (I've seen this one(Own))
5 Only Yesterday (Haven't seen)
6 Porco Rosso (Haven't Seen)
7 Ocean Waves (Haven't Seen)
8 Pom Poko (Haven't Seen)
9 Whisper of the Heart (Haven't watched this one(Own))
10 Princess Mononoke (I want to say I have seen this one.  I know at the least its been in the house.)
11 My Neighbors the Yamadas  (Haven't Seen)
12 Spirited Away (I haven't watched this(Own))
13 The Cat Returns (I know I've seen part of this at the very least.)
14 Howl's Moving Castle (Seen)
15 Tales from Earthsea  (Haven't Seen)
16 Ponyo (Seen.  I enjoyed Ponyo but, yet again much like watching golf on TV.  Pretty to watch and I can only get into it in a rudimentary way. (own))

I think I have a pretty good sampling.

WHERE THE **** IS NAUSICAA ON THAT LIST? FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIL.

I'm just joking with you Ceric. Although Nausicaa is not on your list.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2011, 10:56:22 AM »

WHERE THE **** IS NAUSICAA ON THAT LIST? FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIL.

I'm just joking with you Ceric. Although Nausicaa is not on your list.

I just grabbed the list from here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Ghibli).  Sounds like it needs an update.

Though if its this on  They have it done by Topcraft.    Yes I see that most of the base of Studio Ghibli worked on it. 

Ironicly I would love to go to Studio Ghibli because they are suppose to have this huge Diorama there of all there different characters in a scene that moves and all that.  Yes I do like Model Train Shows...

Suffice it to say I haven't see Nausicaa.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2011, 12:00:10 PM »
Yep, it's not considered a Studio Ghibli film because the movie was created and released before Ghibli was started. It did involved most of the people who went on to work at Ghibli though. I really liked Ponyo, though it was a little odd at times.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2011, 01:57:32 PM »
My bad then. Everytime I see the name Ghibli I instantly associate it with Hayao Miyazaki...

It's alright that you haven't seen it. To me it is by far my favorite Hayao Miyazaki film.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2011, 02:01:50 PM »
My bad then. Everytime I see the name Ghibli I instantly associate it with Hayao Miyazaki...

It's alright that you haven't seen it. To me it is by far my favorite Hayao Miyazaki film.
Looks interesting.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2011, 02:07:44 PM »
In the recent Disney release of Nausicaa Patrick Stewart provides one of the voices. I first watched it in the 80s, no clue who did the voices in that one. I pretty much love anything he does.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2011, 02:13:32 PM »
Both Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli have disavowed the 80s dub due to how many cuts were made to the movie (see the Wikipedia page for more). I have to admit I haven't seen it, I have only seen 5 of the movies Studio Ghibli has done.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2011, 02:52:31 PM »
I got a question for all you Netflix users out there.

Would you be mad at Netflix if they offered Premium Streaming Rentals?

That would be like those movies that now get Digital releases before they even hit the theater and maybe New releases before Netflix is allowed to release the DVD's.

So say that Paranormal Activity 4 was gonna hit Theaters in March, but Netflix allowed you a 48 Hour streaming rental for an extra $5 (you get to watch it on any device that is connected through your account)

Or The Avengers movie was about to hit DVD this Tuesday, but Netflix can't mail out the DVD's till 4 tuesdays from then, but they offer you a premium 48hr Streaming Rental for $5 starting on release day (this tuesday).

Would you be mad at that or actually think it to be a good idea?