Author Topic: Smash Bros, Other Bandai Namco Titles In Development For NX?  (Read 9425 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Smash Bros, Other Bandai Namco Titles In Development For NX?
« on: January 28, 2016, 06:17:55 AM »

Someone say a prayer for Sakurai.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/41858/smash-bros-other-bandai-namco-titles-in-development-for-nx

A noted Japan-based analyst has hinted that Bandai Namco has several titles in development for the NX platform, including a Smash Bros game.

No specifics were given beyond what was contained in the Twitter post, but the hint is that the Smash Bros game would be available at launch. Given the short turnaround from the last Smash Bros title, it is more likely that the game would be a "Game of the Year Edition" style release rolling up all of the existing DLC, but an original Smash Bros game has launched close to a system with Super Smash Bros Melee in 2001.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Smash Bros, Other Bandai Namco Titles In Development For NX?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 03:09:49 PM »
Secret, solid sources!
I can believe lips being loose around Bandai Namco. They don't care as much about secrecy as Nintendo Co. Ltd. and would rather drum up interest on a new competing platform for PS4.

I wonder what the Smash (4) for NX is. Maybe just some better textures and effects? Hmm.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 05:58:06 PM »
If this ends up being true, the easy call is all the DLC is included and maybe a few new characters (Inklings?) and maps. Even if they release it without any sort of discount for people who have the Wii U and/or 3DS version, I'd probably be willing to triple dip at that price since I haven't touched most of the DLC.

On the other hand, part of me thinks that there's a non-zero chance that Nintendo would have the balls to release it without any sort of discount for repeat buyers AND not include the DLC. If you bought any of the DLC before, cool, you'll have it in this game too. But if you haven't bought it on the Wii U or 3DS, you're still gonna have to pay for Cloud or Ryu in this version. If that ends up happening it's not such an attractive proposition.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 06:35:28 PM »
They could always offer some sort of eShop credit for a period of time after launch for those Wii U players who did buy DLC.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 07:07:01 PM »
Well if you were to make an Ultimate edition of the game.  Add in all the exclusive levels from the 3DS and Wii U version, all downloadable characters, add 2-4 new characters and new characters and you have a good deal.

Offline jarodea

• A man of the world, so suave and discrete, he trips over the women piled up at his feet
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 08:32:33 PM »
Bah, no one cares about new Smash.  I need to know what the other games are!

Alright, only I don't care about Smash and I don't need to know what the other games are, but I would like to.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 08:46:57 PM »
If they somehow also added the Ice Climbers, it might make some people go nuts.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 08:49:57 PM »
If they somehow also added the Ice Climbers, it might make some people go nuts.

Like Justin Berube.

Bah, no one cares about new Smash.  I need to know what the other games are!

Alright, only I don't care about Smash and I don't need to know what the other games are, but I would like to.

As much as I want RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER (because it's not a console launch without it), I want something that starts with "Tales" a bit more. (If only because I could call it for review and actually finish one of the damn things.)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 09:04:13 PM »
I'd like something that starts with "Tales" too. Preferably, something that starts with "Tales" that'll be seen IN NORTH AMERICA

hint hint, namco

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 09:13:19 PM »
I've been saying Nintendo would do this for months. The pieces started falling into place once Cloud, Bayonetta, and Corrin were announced.
I still think a true and original Super Smash Bros. NX title with its own engine will come out eventually, but that's going to take time, two to three years if Sakurai or another director starts immediately after Corrin and Bayonetta are released. That's too long to be without the series on Nintendo's supposed comeback platform. Right now, Amiibo is propping up Nintendo's financials. Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta Amiibo probably won't hit until August 2016 at the earliest, and Nintendo aims to replace Wii U a few short months after and undermine that cash-cow? Nah, it makes too much sense for Nintendo to port the game to NX. Include the 3DS stages, the DLC characters (or at least offer them free for those who already have them), and throw in Ice Climbers, Snake, Wolf, and maybe a bonus new character (Inklings?) and some classic stages. Boom, $60 game.
Nintendo could release Super Smash Bros. for NX without any additional DLC and still make a killing by just reissuing Amiibo. People are still asking about Marth.

Bandai Namco would have roughly nine months to finish porting the game which is probably more than enough time given that it probably started last year, and Iwata said that one of the goals for its next platform is to "absorb Wii U architecture adequately." Nintendo has been developing NX with this in mind. What better game to take advantage of it than Super Smash Bros?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 01:03:25 AM »
I'd like something that starts with "Tales" too. Preferably, something that starts with "Tales" that'll be seen IN NORTH AMERICA

hint hint, namco

Everyone's favorite Telltale adventure, Tales from the Borderlands?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 02:25:50 AM »
It is truly amazing that a game like Smash literally is limitless on characters because people want their favorite characters from the past included...not to mention any favorite new characters.

I think a Port is the obvious answer, adding in all the DLC into one package would be a great incentive for gamers, plus I forgot about the idea of characters that were not included in the new one.

Snake, Ice Climbers, Classic Zelda (I would love a new model of Zelda and Sheik to become Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik then bring back the old one) Pokemon Trainer, Wolf, Add in Inklings and a new crazy 3rd party character ( Bomberman) and you have a great package alone.

But wait, what about the exclusive modes?  Bringing back all the modes from previous games:  Race to the Finish, Break the Target, Adventure Mode (Don't focus on a level for each character, just a level to represent each franchise)

Add all exclusive modes from each game, and flesh them out if you need to.  This could easily be a full priced game. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 02:48:09 AM »
It seems like there's always talk of an enhanced port of the last gen Smash Bros. as an early game for a new Nintendo console. I recall rumors of an enhanced Melee early on Wii and an enhanced Brawl early on Wii U. I don't think there was as much real info behind those rumors as this one, though.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 06:07:03 AM »
I don't remember those rumors. I recall Iwata saying he planned to have Melee ported to Wii with online multiplayer if Sakurai refused to come back for a sequel.

In any case, the circumstances are different. Nintendo got a lot of life out of both Melee and Brawl. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U came out in November 2014, and it's the first installment with DLC which is wrapping up next month. That, along with Amiibo, and Nintendo embracing EVO and the competitive scene in general gives a potential port a lot more weight. There's a lot of money left to be made on the game.

We all know what's going to happen to Wii U once NX launches. Even if NX is backwards compatible (I'm not convinced as of yet), an enhanced port is still a better move. Nintendo shouldn't bank on people tracking down the Wii U disc or relying on a stable Internet connection for digital downloads. More importantly, it benefits Nintendo to have the game NX branded even if it ends up being like 95% the Wii U version. Nintendo should distance itself from Wii U. Not to the point where it almost doesn't acknowledge the console's existence outside of inside-jokes within games (like Virtual Boy), but for marketing purposes, any association with Wii U should be downplayed or avoided altogether if possible. Nintendo really should be pushing it as something new and enhanced like when it released games under the "New Play Control" branding.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 06:09:44 AM »
A Game of the Year edition with all the DLC sounds good for a short turnaround. Don't expect anything new added.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 05:34:19 PM »
Meh, I'd rather new systems have new games.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 05:48:27 PM »
As would most. I'd rather have an enhanced port than nothing. And if a Super Smash Bros. for NX helps Nintendo sell more consoles, there's a much better chance of it getting those new games.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 05:58:47 PM »
As would most. I'd rather have an enhanced port than nothing. And if a Super Smash Bros. for NX helps Nintendo sell more consoles, there's a much better chance of it getting those new games.
This sounds a bit contradictory: If most people want new games, how would ports help sell a system?

Judging by the success of enhanced ports released on other systems, I think many people do indeed want them. It's never made much sense to be, but it is yet further proof that my priorities are vastly different than the average consumer. Even if an enhanced re-release takes 1/10th of the resources, I'd rather have one new game than ten re-releases.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 06:05:25 PM »
Resources aren't interchangeable like that. These kind of enhanced ports are often made by less-talented developers who wouldn't be as well-suited to making an original title of the same quality. Would I rather have 1 EAD-developed new game than 10 re-releases? Definitely. But change that to, say, Grezzo, and I don't know that I'd say the same.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 06:25:01 PM »
Didn't Grezzo help make Tri Force Heroes? Awesome game, that. Of course, they worked on ports first so it could be argued those helped the team gain experience.

Regardless, I see your point, but I'd even rather have one mediocre game than ten quality ports. Just how I am.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 07:54:52 PM »
This sounds a bit contradictory: If most people want new games, how would ports help sell a system?
With NX, Nintendo has to hit hard and fast to build some momentum. All signs point to Nintendo consolidating its efforts on the console and handheld fronts. That will help with the software droughts but all those teams have to make the transition. An enhanced port of the latest Super Smash Bros. would supplement NX's lineup. Judging by Wii U's sales, a lot of people didn't get to experience the game. A port alone probably isn't enough to convince someone to invest in a brand new console, but that isn't the point. Couple it with some combination of new installments from Nintendo's other heavy hitters and NX starts looking far more attractive. Wii U's best first party game for like eight months was New Super Mario Bros. U. A decent title but it needed so much more.

If Nintendo ever hopes to get better third party support, it's going to have to earn it. There's no better way of getting their attention than by selling a bunch of hardware. No guarantees, obviously, but a larger user base improves its chances.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 08:13:39 PM »
Hee hee, I figured you meant something like that, but it was funny to say.

Personally, I couldn't care less about sales. I'd rather have an unpopular system with the games I want than a popular system with games I don't want. The N64 was the former, and it's still one of my fave systems. I guess that'd probably mean lack of third-party support like you say, not that sales are any guarantee of support given the Wii. But, I could always get a different system if I cared about third-party games.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 02:28:39 AM »
But, I could always get a different system if I cared about third-party games.

That's not a luxury many people budget for. Or in the case of getting a second console in the latter days of its lifespan in relevance, that does little to help the prospects of future support on that platform. Then again, looking at how the Wii and PS3 went, the lifetime-to-date of hardware units sold is a tricksy indicator of software support.

I understand and respect apathy towards the business machinations of video games. In a better world for Nintendo, I wouldn't have it on my mind either. In order for NX's third party prospects to be improved, one angle Nintendo needs to cover is starting and maintaining momentum for the system. One aspect of that is having a variety of software being regularly released. Remasters or refreshes of older games can be a cost-effective way to do that.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2016, 07:48:21 PM »
Remasters and re-releases WOULD help, and in this case I think a Smash Ultimate Edition for NX wouldn't be objectionable, but I'd just like to say that I would be vastly underwhelmed if we start hearing about a Skyward Sword remake or a Super Mario 3D World rerelease.

Hmm... but a "Super Mario All-Stars" collection of ALL Mario Kart Games EVER wouldn't go amiss... !
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 10:59:18 PM »

hint hint, namco

Everyone's favorite Telltale adventure, Tales from the Borderlands?
hehhehehe
Made you look ****.