Author Topic: Officially Licensed GameCube Styled Classic Controller Coming to Wii U  (Read 5127 times)

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile

Nintendo and accessory maker PDP are teaming up to bring people their preferred controller for Smash Bros.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/37488/officially-licensed-gamecube-styled-classic-controller-coming-to-wii-u

Accessory maker Performance Designed Products has announced that they are partnering with Nintendo to create a new classic controller for the Wii U, inspired by the GameCube controller design.

This controller is designed to plug into a Wii Remote and can be used with both Wii and Wii U consoles. The pad will also feature Nintendo characters such as Mario, Yoshi and Princess Peach.

The controller will be available this holiday season for the estimated price of $24.99

Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
"Oh, so that's what happened to the missing Wavebird molds"

...or at least that's the joke I wanted to make, but then they had to make this a wired plugin to the Wiimote, Classic Controller-style. Damnit, Nintendo!  ;)

Yeah, I'll probably be picking this up if I pick up Smash Bros. Wii U later this year. The Classic Controller never felt right in Brawl, so it'd be great if they made this thing compatible with that game as well.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
If they feel anything like the Nintendo gamecube controllers, I'd be completely fine with this.

I'm hopeful maybe this is also a precursor to gamecube e-shop games?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I'm not sure I buy the lost Wavebird molds line. First, how does that even happen at a company as large as Nintendo? Second, even if it did, make another one.

I'm quite happy with the Pro Controller so I'm hoping Nintendo just releases different colors by the time Super Smash Bros. comes out. I only have one Pro Controller. I have it in black; I didn't want it in white. Totally racist, I know.

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
YES. Instant win

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
I'm not sure I buy the lost Wavebird molds line. First, how does that even happen at a company as large as Nintendo? Second, even if it did, make another one.
I think there was some copyright thing in 09 with the wavebird.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
comedy pro controller option
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Hopefully they make a wired (to the console) version for the tourney freaks when Smash Bros. Wii U comes out.

Offline TheBigK

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
And here I was worried that I'd have to shell out $50+ for a proper controller to Smash with. Glad to see that isn't the case. Assuming it feels like a GCN controller, I'll be picking this up for sure. The Classic Controller Pro never quite did it for me in Brawl.
Nintendo Network ID: TheBigK

Add me!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
I preferred the remote and nunchuk controls in Brawl for whatever reason, so I'm not in a huge hurry to go out and get one of these, but it's nice that they're accommodating people who preferred that controller.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
Finally, the most comfortable controller ever made is coming back

You've done good for a change, Nintendo.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Impulse buying at its best. Hell yeah I'm going to get this. Going to buy 4 of them so I have a set.

"The pad will also feature Nintendo characters such as Mario, Yoshi, and Princess Peach"
And I bet it will all be Mario characters and no Zelda themed one will release. Or Metroid. Or any other of Nintendo's first party titles.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Since this is talkback, I want to keep my gut reaction tame and appropriate.  Suffice it to say, a certain region of my body received a sudden increase in blood flow.

The only disappointing thing about this is that it plugs into a Wii Remote.  When I read the headline, I was hoping it'd be more like the classic pro.  Although, it's not like I'm hurting for Wii Remotes. :P
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
I preferred the remote and nunchuk controls in Brawl for whatever reason, so I'm not in a huge hurry to go out and get one of these, but it's nice that they're accommodating people who preferred that controller.
One question on that scheme, why the hell isn't the d-pad automatically mapped to smash attacks.

Offline Griffinclaw

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
I'd also like to hope that this means GameCube games could be on the horizon. Question for me is, will this controller have the awesome analogue shoulder buttons of the originals?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I hope they improve the D-Pad and C-Stick.  If this layout is getting revisited, those improvements are essential.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Since it says "GameCube-inspired" then I wonder if it will have a few differences about it. Also, if it connects to the Wiimote then it is probably recognised as a Classic Controller and will work with all CC games.