Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 663807 times)

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Rumors and Speculation Thread (Mighty Switch Force Edition)
« Reply #2750 on: December 10, 2016, 04:01:48 AM »
And GS won't open preorders until the 13th of January.

Im surprised to hear that. EB Games in Australia has lets you preorder just about anything. They have all the games in the reveal trailer up to preorder.
I preordered the Switch the day after the reveal video. I wanted to get in nice and early and not miss out, like I did with the NES mini.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: December 10, 2016, 06:11:54 AM »
Is this posted somewhere? Not that I don't love an irony overdose, but I'd like to have something to point to, y'know?

More word of mouth speculation with friends type thing. When Cloud was put in smash bros it was just very odd. At least when Snake showed up he had been on a Nintendo system. These rumors come from speculation, not a leak.

We do know Square-Enix is going to be supporting Switch, Cloud was in Smash Bros last year near the time when ff7 remake news went dark,  "Some 3rd told me they are moving PS4 titles to Switch. So that may suggest NVIDIA-powered Switch's spec." — Takashi Mochizuki

Although SuperMetalDave64 was spreading the rumor according to this article in February
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/02/rumour_final_fantasy_vii_remake_and_xv_headed_to_nx_could_be_definitive_versions

I would enjoy some irony pie. I didn't actually like the original FFVII on PSX. The games style changes got on my nerves really quick, and I could never enjoy it. A lot of that could just be the Playstation's limitations. I was never a fan of the presentation on that platform. I don't think they got it right until Final Fantasy IX. The new trailers look quite good though. I have also enjoyed other Final Fantasy games like the remake of Final Fantasy III.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: December 11, 2016, 09:44:42 AM »
As previously stated, I just want the delicious irony of seeing Final Fantasy VII Remake on a cartridge-based Nintendo console

On 3 cartridges no less!
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2753 on: December 14, 2016, 10:12:11 PM »
http://gonintendo.com/stories/270367-rumor-switch-specs-detailed-less-powerful-than-ps4-may-be-on

Selected quotes:
- Switch uses Nvidia’s older Maxwell architecture, not the new Pascal graphics technology
- Nintendo was in such a rush to replace Wii U that it couldn’t wait for the updated Pascal version of the graphics technology
- may not be able to handle 4K graphics
- does not run the full Android operating system
- Nintendo made sure devs who use Unity and Unreal will be able to easily port those releases on the Switch
- USB Type-C connectivity for faster data transfer as well as fast charging for the battery

A lot of qualified statements in this rumour.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: December 14, 2016, 10:38:17 PM »
http://gonintendo.com/stories/270367-rumor-switch-specs-detailed-less-powerful-than-ps4-may-be-on

Selected quotes:
- Switch uses Nvidia’s older Maxwell architecture, not the new Pascal graphics technology
- Nintendo was in such a rush to replace Wii U that it couldn’t wait for the updated Pascal version of the graphics technology
- may not be able to handle 4K graphics
- does not run the full Android operating system
- Nintendo made sure devs who use Unity and Unreal will be able to easily port those releases on the Switch
- USB Type-C connectivity for faster data transfer as well as fast charging for the battery

A lot of qualified statements in this rumour.

It's possible this is true, but what is in these details that we're supposed to believe? Is it the Maxwell architecture? What does that even mean with regards to graphics performance? (hint: it means nothing) Is it the Android OS part? Or is it the USB Type-C that has already been confirmed? These supposed leakers have provided absolutely no new information other than what many of us have already been speculating. How about some actual clock rates or battery details? No? Then this looks like it was just lifted directly out of the Switch hardware speculation thread over at Neogaf.

The bit about Maxwell is so meaningless. It will only matter as far as power consumption is concerned. If it is true, that's sad. Look for a future iteration of Switch about a year or two after launch that will feature Pascal with much better power efficiency and maybe a modest performance bump.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 10:47:33 PM by Agent-X- »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: December 14, 2016, 11:45:35 PM »
Then this looks like it was just lifted directly out of the Switch hardware speculation thread over at Neogaf.

I generally buy the line of thinking this new report supports, but you're right. This is sort of a really long article that ultimately adds little more than the "VentureBeat" name to the whole rumor mill.

Look for a future iteration of Switch about a year or two after launch that will feature Pascal with much better power efficiency and maybe a modest performance bump.

Yup, that's what I anticipate. A sort of Switch "Pro" (ala Sony) but on the sort of timeframe that Nintendo had with the DSLite.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: December 14, 2016, 11:59:38 PM »
It figures the day I'm late making the rounds is the day Neogaf also has Emily Rogers quoted as supporting the "Maxwell" rumor.

https://twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64/status/809210867288014848

At least 90% of the info in that GAF thread's OP is correct. Including the "Maxwell" part.

It is believed to be a semi-custom design and a second generation Maxwell chip. FWIW, the Maxwell chip can do it all. It will just take more power to do it.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: December 15, 2016, 01:54:53 AM »
It figures the day I'm late making the rounds is the day Neogaf also has Emily Rogers quoted as supporting the "Maxwell" rumor.

https://twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64/status/809210867288014848

At least 90% of the info in that GAF thread's OP is correct. Including the "Maxwell" part.

It is believed to be a semi-custom design and a second generation Maxwell chip. FWIW, the Maxwell chip can do it all. It will just take more power to do it.

Yeah, I was hoping for Pascal for purposes of battery life, but I wasn't very optimistic. Like I said in my other thread, I'm girding myself for having to buy accessories for a better battery life.

Also, I feel like the specs she's commenting on could just be someone's guesstimate designed to jive with current rumors. I could see it being true, but more because it's a good guess that's devoid of flights of fancy than because it must have some secret leaker who's shared the info.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: December 15, 2016, 03:01:04 PM »
Nintendo Patents for Switch released

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1325344

What has been found:

> The Joycons both have accelerometers, gyroscopes, and rumble.
> The right Joycon also has an "infrared image-capturing section", or IR sensor, and NFC.
> The Switch LCD is a touchscreen.
> It has USB-C
> It has one SD card slot
> The Joycon dock is essentially a battery pack
> 4 Joycons can be used at once for 4-player gaming
> There is an image of a VR setup using the Switch, similar to phones and Google's VR
> The Joycons also have shoulder buttons within the attachable side.
> The Switch itself has an accelerometer and gyroscope.
> The Switch has a "Sound input/output terminal" meaning there isn't a dedicated microphone
> The gamecards are read/writeable.
> The Switch uses bluetooth to communicate with controllers, but no evidence for wireless headphones.
> There are several variations of the Joycon dock, one looking very similar to GC controller.
> Finally the Switch will have two modes of function, portable and console. While portable, the output of the Switch will be tapered.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 03:02:44 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: December 15, 2016, 03:30:05 PM »
While everything seems consistent with the previous rumors, it is nice to see something more concrete.  The IR sensor having some vitality sensor functionality is floating around, with recognition of different people to auto-login and health functions.  The two gyro controllers and portable screen does seem practical for fitness games.

In terms of the X1 style architecture as originally rumored, I don't mind too much.  It is still a huge step forward for a Nintendo handheld, and I don't expect a lot of PS4 and XBOX ONE/PC ports anyway.  If they can get some of the main console games that would benefit from portability, plus all the handheld developers, it would be great.  This isn't a system to replace other systems, in my opinion.

« Reply #2760 on: December 15, 2016, 03:51:12 PM »

> There is an image of a VR setup using the Switch, similar to phones and Google's VR

My first thought on this is that it seems cumbersome to use the whole Switch as the VR platform, but it undoubtedly saves money, and from seeing it on Jimmy Fallon, it looks light enough for it to not be too bad.
I am NOT MysticGohan.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: December 15, 2016, 04:01:31 PM »
I'm pretty sure this is to cover their bases as they'll release a lighter, more powerful, and most importantly, higher-res version of the Switch.

« Reply #2762 on: December 15, 2016, 06:53:25 PM »
That could be achieved with just a dedicated VR headset like PS4 has, which is how I thought Nintendo would do their VR as well. Having the whole Switch on your head has to be heavier than just a headset I would think, but is less expensive for both user (hopefully) and Nintendo.
I am NOT MysticGohan.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: December 15, 2016, 08:27:38 PM »
The bit about Maxwell is so meaningless.
Yeah, basically. We've known since Switch was officially announced that Nintendo was going with a semi-custom design. We all just assumed it would be before Nvidia was even rumored because Nintendo doesn't use stock chips. The semi-custom part is the important bit in all this. Pascal was introduced April 2016 so hoping Switch would be Pascal-based wasn't especially realistic (though not entirely impossible). Pascal is based on Maxwell. It's possible Switch's semi-custom GPU shares some of Pascal's improvements over Maxwell, the most important of which would be a die shrink to 16 nm if only for energy efficiency purposes. Depending on how customized Switch's GPU is, one could, in a way, consider it a different successor to Maxwell or a stop gap between the two which wouldn't be bad. I suppose when people were hoping for Pascal on NX, they were really hoping for Pascal-like improvements over Maxwell, and that's still a very real possibility.

Ultimately, I'm not worried about Switch's GPU being Maxwell-based. Peak Maxwell is a beast. Its problem at that performance was power consumption. Pascal resolves that. If Nvidia's Switch GPU similarly solves that issue, being Maxwell-based is not really a problem. We already know Switch can run Unreal Engine 4, Unity etc. Performance isn't what anyone should be concerned with. Battery life, however, is since we're talking about a handheld here, and so much of it depends on what fabrication process Nvidia has the chip on.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: December 16, 2016, 01:10:57 PM »
Here's an easy to digest video of the recent patent dump. Lot's of good info!

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: December 16, 2016, 06:42:25 PM »
That video was very interesting. One thing I noticed was the lack of any cameras. Its probably a good thing they gave up that feature.

Also nice to see touch and motion controls confirmed.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: December 16, 2016, 07:06:36 PM »
And rumble. Have we ever had a handheld that rumbles?

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: December 16, 2016, 10:40:12 PM »
Nintendo released a rumble pack accessory for the DS that plugged into the GBA slot, though I remember hearing that it did more noise making than it did rumbling.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: December 17, 2016, 01:38:57 PM »
Nintendo released a rumble pack accessory for the DS that plugged into the GBA slot, though I remember hearing that it did more noise making than it did rumbling.
I think he meant as a built-in feature. The Game Boy line also had some cartridges with a rumble motor in it, it's been done that way before. But I don't know of one which had rumble built into it, I don't think Sony's systems did though I can't say for certain.

Does anyone actually care about rumble these days? I don't, and never have.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: December 17, 2016, 02:38:55 PM »
I think he meant as a built-in feature. The Game Boy line also had some cartridges with a rumble motor in it, it's been done that way before. But I don't know of one which had rumble built into it, I don't think Sony's systems did though I can't say for certain.

Does anyone actually care about rumble these days? I don't, and never have.

The most immersive experiences I've had while gaming have been on PC without rumble. I can only think of it positively enhancing American football games and extreme sports/racing games.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: December 17, 2016, 02:53:29 PM »
So I'm confused. I post news that the creator of Skyrim thinks the Switch was "one of the best demos", if not "the best demo" he's ever seen and confirms support for the system, but no one seems to care.

A Switch with enhanced ports favors me, someone who didn't jump on the Wii U train. And there's a lot of us. From my point of view, I get a year one only a fanboy can dream of. If the line-up is true, I'm buying a Switch day one. The last time I bought a console on day one was the gamecube, so you see why this strategy might work.

I think the others are missing the point of Todd's comments. There's obviously a bigger hardware detail than what we've been shown, and it seems to have him excited. It is obviously something more than just the portable function of the console (so it can output to different HD screens, big whoop).

And then just today, the CEO of Gamestop really had a mouthful to say regarding the Switch during their investor call.

"The Nintendo Switch, which I played at Nintendo a few weeks ago--we believe could be another game-changer that will expand the audience for gaming."

"The Switch is a very interesting device.... A movement-related game is more fun for kids, you know, taking those [Joy-con controllers off] and then the master controller, you can really do a lot of interesting things with that in gameplay."

"I think it has tremendous potential as a game-changer. We'll have to wait and see. Like everything else in this industry, the consumers will vote with their dollars."

WHAT??

Up till now, no one had confirmed anything about motion controls! It seems he may have just confirmed something that Nintendo wasn't even letting slip through their "unofficial" rumor sources (aka Rogers, Dale, etc). That would seem a pretty significant detail to not leak out, no?

Personally, I don't care much for motion controls. However... if you're gonna do VR you sort of need them.  ;)

I'm quoting myself obviously because I was teasing this weeks ago. Now allow me to go one step further: Nintendo is a lot more serious about VR than they let on. Whatever their demo has been to game developers, it has gotten a ton of attention. Does anyone think the best demo ever was a game device that can switch from home TV play to portable seamlessly? Anyone think there were other features of this device that blew people away? And what exactly is Emily Rogers not revealing? She said she wouldn't drop any more details this year.

What would I do with a Switch VR headset and motion controls? ...I'd Wave Race. I'd do some 1080's on a snowboard. I'd explore ancient ruins to unlock secrets and save the galaxy from metroids. I'd do it with the Switch at full power and games that run at a smooth 60 fps and at 720p.

Who here would be on board for that?

« Reply #2772 on: December 17, 2016, 04:00:09 PM »
Who here would be on board for that?

I certainly would be. To your other point, Nintendo would be foolish (ala GC having no real online gaming kind of foolish) to not include VR. For me, it was always the how and when. Would it be a launch feature, would it use a current device, etc. That Nintendo's VR will use the entire Switch, like Google VR uses the entire phone, is still slightly worrisome to me, but your point about it running at 60fps in 720p is well taken.
I am NOT MysticGohan.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: December 17, 2016, 04:31:49 PM »
You do not need motion controls for VR. See: PlayStation VR.

I'd rather Nintendo not tack VR on to the Switch's functionality. That would be akin to PlayStation Move or Amiibo- a quick cash grab that is poorly thought out. VR is currently passable, but it's not good.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 04:34:03 PM by Evan_B »
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: December 17, 2016, 05:05:17 PM »
You do not need motion controls for VR. See: PlayStation VR.

I'd rather Nintendo not tack VR on to the Switch's functionality. That would be akin to PlayStation Move or Amiibo- a quick cash grab that is poorly thought out. VR is currently passable, but it's not good.

It wouldn't be tacked on, nor would it be a quick cash grab. I'm suggesting it's a core part of why the Switch is designed as a very powerful portable.

I imagine they will only do VR if the quality is there. The way that I am seeing it, Nintendo can deliver 60 fps VR that looks really good. You don't have to push 1080p Skyrim into a VR experience to produce the best VR experience ever.

Then again, maybe this doesn't happen until the second iteration of Switch arrives featuring a Tegra chip based on Pascal. Clearly Nintendo is forward-thinking here because if they didn't patent this use of their Switch, someone else would have.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 05:09:55 PM by Agent-X- »