Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1195540 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #4450 on: May 14, 2018, 04:56:25 PM »
Continuing my Avatar: TLA rewatch via the BluRays. About halfway through Season 2. Yep, Toph is still one of the all-time best TV characters ever made. She & Azula were what turned the show around from average & inconsistent to awesome.

The transfer seems to be much better in the 2nd season. Not as many glaring compression or upscaling artifacts.

Man, all these great characters...and the Legend of Korra would go on to **** on each & every one of them by posthumously deciding they grew up to be assholes & failures. -_-
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 04:57:58 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: May 14, 2018, 06:11:17 PM »
The Expanse has been cancelled, which is incredibly annoying because the show has steadily improved from season 1 into this amazing place of permanent political and military tension that is completely earned and justified. Depending on how the final episode of the season/series goes, it will end the current book at least.

Hopefully another network will pick up the show like it truly deserves.

It will have only finished the second book, though, right? The series is up to seven books now, with an eighth coming later this year, so they never had any hope of the show catching up and finishing, especially given some of what happens in the later books.

I 100% agree. Especially given that no SyFy-produced show has made it past 5 seasons in many years.

It's now sounding like there's hope of it being picked up by somebody else. And it wasn't actually SyFy producing it, they just aired it. The author of the books said the ninth would be the final one, so maybe there's a very slim chance they could get there if they find a good partner.

SyFy did only have broadcast rights to it, but they still had to order the show to production. In that scope what i'm saying is still true. Supposedly it is one of Amazon's best streaming shows (although Netflix has it internationally) so there's hope.

Lucifer's series finale just aired, and i'm pretty annoyed at how the series ended. Thanks Fox for screwing up THAT cliffhanger.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:16:17 PM by Plugabugz »

Offline segagamersteph

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: May 14, 2018, 06:43:50 PM »
Out of sheer boredom I started watching Fraiser with my mom. It's not what I expected. I am enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would, definitely better than Cheers.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: May 17, 2018, 03:13:52 AM »
Anyone been watching The Blacklist? 

Season 5 just ended with a very interesting twist.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: May 18, 2018, 09:18:55 AM »
The Expanse just blew everything up. What a great episode.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #4455 on: May 18, 2018, 05:42:07 PM »
I just started getting into The Middle. I've seen random episodes here and there with my sister but never sat down to actually watch the show. It's not bad.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: May 19, 2018, 04:49:55 PM »
Agents of Shield S5 finale.

Alright, but disappointing.  Didn't even come close to the Spy's Goodbye in my opinion.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: May 19, 2018, 05:33:04 PM »
Agents of Shield S5 finale.

Alright, but disappointing.  Didn't even come close to the Spy's Goodbye in my opinion.

I agree. Chloe was trying to sell it on being super emotional... but it really wasn't that strong of a scene.

This scene was pretty dope though

1 year wait for S6, and then I bet they get a S7 (or spin-off) for the streaming service too.
I wonder what happened to Deke though. I know he said he was gonna leave and go experience Earth... but it's possible he could've faded out of existence as well.

Season 4 still remains the GOAT by a country mile IMO.
I hope S6 rivals it in storytelling and execution.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 05:37:43 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: May 19, 2018, 06:05:18 PM »
Yeah that was pretty damn awesome.  I was hoping for a bit more fisticuffs between Quake and Talbot though but what we got was pretty cool.

I love how Daisy acknowledged her weakness in leadership and handed the reigns to Mack. (why she was the deputy boss in the first place confuses me.  May and Mack have been at Shield far longer.) A perfect choice in my opinion.  The very epitome of morality.

Henry Simmons just sells emotional scenes so well in my opinion.  He did the same in the Spy's Goodbye (Yes I love that scene so sue me).  Many of the YouTube comments on that scene say that they held it together until they saw Mack near the end and they just lost it. 

I do wonder what they're going to do with Phil in season 6, if he comes back at all.  I hope it's no stupid time travel plot again.  I HATE time travel with a passion.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: May 19, 2018, 07:00:42 PM »
I made the mistake of reading a Season recap of one of the later seasons of Shameless and now I want to just stop watching the show to save me the heartache that is coming.

I was wrong about Frasier. I watched a few random episodes with my mom and thought it was more entertaining than Cheers. I spent all day the other day having a marathon with my mom and I spelt through most of the show. I liked the characters and the premise but, damn he's boring.

I also spent most of the day watching Royal Wedding stuff. It's weird seeing an American celebrity marry into the British monarchy but weirder things have happened, like hiring an Oompa Loompa to run the most powerful military on the planet earth...

I also started watching Once Upon a Time on Netflix. Loving it so far. I just wish AMC or someone not restricted by the lame FCC would have picked this show up instead of ABC.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: May 19, 2018, 07:25:35 PM »
Arrow's Season 6 finale. OK alright then. A massive waste of Sara Lance, who didnt even mention what the Legends has been upto. I still consider the show "how to waste the talents of Michael Emerson".

Blindspot... still easily the worst of the Berlanti shows. I skipped the finale and will drop the show. I just watched in the hope it would start to improve.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: May 19, 2018, 09:52:27 PM »
AoS: Very messy finale.

Shut up Daisy.

Also why the Mack. uhhg. He is badass but his character is a mess. He has ethics for sure but he is awful at communicating his agenda and working the problem sitting down being sanctimonious all the time making the the team splinter or rally against him. How long has he been with them? You think he should have figured out by now these people are weird, bordering on insane by staying yet they get the right results. He is Lisa Simpson. That talent pool is rather limited and Daisy is preferable.

Near joke answer is have Deak take the position. His child like heart and wonder which annoys the characters externally but sparks good processes for the problem and emotionally. He really wants to preserve our world as for him its paradise. He is smart and resourceful. Big problem is he is crippled by being a fish out of water, lacking training and command presence.

I can't say the journey was worth the destination. Disconnect it from the season and throw in some more money, tweak the dialogue and it would be pretty good. As is it's disappointing.

Since BlackNMild2k1 has revealed the fight, when in the hell did Daisy become neigh invulnerable? She should be a sack of broken bones from her first attack let alone Talbert's power slam turning her into paste. Conceptually the fight is fine just some blatant gaps unless I had missed them.

I do like how Talbert really has gone mad without the tantrum other shows would have. He is completely logical in his own mind with absolutely no dissonance. Although I question having Hydra people in the muck as it does undermine his character "I can fix this", taking away a large part of his fall because he got injected with evil.

Space: Shield's villain dumping ground.

Here is the big spoilers. Fritz is dead but not since his frozen as is still with Enok who would notice the change in Earth's timeline pretty quick and from earlier in the season he has pretty much babysat him. A good emotional sleight of hand with Gemma looking happy instead of a quivering mess, that connected. Coulson's retirement didn't do much for me. You know he is going away short of some weird ****. Again it's Ian selling it hard. He has really carried the show when possible, he's AoS Anthony Hopkins.

The bigger problem is now they don't have a spy master or anybody with the skills or connections to work with other government agencies or to come up with plans. They can't stay underground forever and they do need funding as Nick didn't salt that much money. Without him Shield doesn't have the legitimacy to keep going. Doubly so now that Talbert's dead, as much as he is a pain in the ass he bats for shield in his own way  from almost the beginning. Being so pivotal meant his shooting instead of being a manhunt for Daisy is a hunt for Shield.

Now they have a team of punchers and a married super villain which went nowhere.

Deak is still alive. Since it looks like it uses Back to the future rules the Prime paradoxes/travellers going from the present to the future and back stay in place with the current time our people exist in along with the information carried. For the Primes the past is the past that has happened unless they go back to change that. Time loops doesn't exist. Self-fulfilling events are mental constructs. They had to "loop" twice to have enough information to change the event.

Hence the post card. It's proof that Fritz and Deak are out there. It also means they can shoot their own parents and still be alive as long as Prime self is at the time of the event like Deak is. Fritz and Gemma can have no children.

They become broken points in time living in a present/future where they don't exist. Deak is born when he arrived in our time.

It does not use Doctor Who rules when Prime observers ie; traveller observe the event unambiguously it becomes fixed. eg, a scream doesn't mean they are dead as the Primes didn't observe it. It means it is effectively restricted by the writer's ability to keep the story together and introducing enough vagueness at key points so it can be changed.

There are problems with spacetime as we understand it so until that is solved shows have to pick a paradox and stick with it.

I haven't read any of the comics so who is Gravaton(Some body mentioned the name) and what is his deal outside the show?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: May 25, 2018, 03:44:38 AM »
Holy ****, The Expanse dropped probably the most gruesome (and scientifically accurate) death scene i've ever seen on TV.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: May 25, 2018, 03:45:56 AM »
I really need to get caught up with that. So glad Amazon picked it up.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: May 25, 2018, 03:57:22 PM »
I've gotten all caught up on The Toys That Made Us.

I enjoyed their Lego and Star Trek episodes but they seemed to go through Transformers a little quick like they were just going to ignore G2 and RID perpetuating the myth that Beast Wars 'saved' the toyline and ignoring everything between the G1 line and the BayFormers. Ugh.

The Lego episode was great. I learned a lot. I was disappointed at first when I heard they were doing Star Trek at all because I know the toys suck and aren't on the same cultural caliber as the other stuff they covered. My reaction was it was pandering to the nerds to keep the Star Wars/Star Trek people happy. And I think to an extent that is part of it because they kept bringing up Star Wars every chance they could. However, I realized it wasn't about how successful or popular a toyline was but the interesting story behind it they were going for.

I ranted for nearly an hour on a podcast once over them saying He-Man was a 'cultural phenomenon' when it was nothing more than a fad that burned bright and hot. I just didn't realize the purpose of the show wasn't o talk about the most important toys or most popular but those with the best story.

Barbie and G.I. Joe have great stories on their own. Transformers story is also very interesting. I haven't seen Hello Kitty yet I figured 3 hours was enough for one day.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: June 06, 2018, 03:24:00 PM »
Welcome to WestWorld
They really know how to make an offhand phrase into something badass.
Supergirl: As much as I would like to agree Jones new policy isn't going to end well given the type of work they do and how it will lock out options they will need. While they are cops, they aren't beat cops. The problem wasn't his organization, it was everything else. I would help to lock their armouries though.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: June 06, 2018, 06:41:01 PM »
With the release of the 2nd half of Season 2 on BluRay, I've finally seen all of Season 2 of My Hero Academia and...it was actually pretty fantastic. Unlike certain...other...anime series I've seen of late, it doesn't waste its time and (more importantly) mine just running around in circles on unimportant, filler garbage. Season 2 advances the overall plot and the viewer's knowledge of this world considerably, which is especially impressive considering half the season is dedicated to an anime staple I LOATHE: the tournament arc, traditionally where anime series go to die with 2-3 seasons where the plot just stops while characters stand around having mental conversations for 3-4 episodes at a time.

My Hero Academia's tournament arc only goes for 12 episodes, and half of that is more obstacle course than outright fighting. It advances several characters considerably, and then it gets right the **** out before it gets boring. The 2nd half of the season has some amazing battle sequences and the first legitimately compelling villain in the series. Hopefully, he'll show up in later seasons.

So far, the show's also handling power creep reasonably well and even the apparent filler isn't really filler. Hopefully, that continues.

The wait for the official English release of Season 3 is going to be painful.

On a side note, Westworld Season 1 was on sale at Best Buy on BluRay, so I picked that up. Never got around to watching the show.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 06:45:52 PM by broodwars »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: June 11, 2018, 12:06:07 AM »
Anyone watch the first 2 eps of Cloak and Dagger?

I liked it. Show is off to a good start.
I want to get 3 or so more episodes before I start throwing too much praise, but the first 2 were solid.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: June 11, 2018, 03:26:12 AM »
I enjoyed it too.  Definitely in for the season. 

The ending of episode two seems to indicate they'll be paired up now.  Hopefully it stays that way.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: June 14, 2018, 12:12:04 PM »
I finally made it to season 5 of Lost. I been avoiding this show like the plague. My parents got super into it. They watch it, go back to beginning watch it again. I got to season 3 and gave up. SO this last month I got through s4 and am now 4 episodes  into Season 5. This show just pisses me off. That is all.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4470 on: June 22, 2018, 07:13:05 AM »
What a amazingly tense episode of The Expanse. The show goes to some great efforts to show off the devastation of rapid unexpected deceleration, the chaos because of it and the effect it causes the human body in a zero g environment including pools of tears around eyes and a space fire because of what happened.

This has easily become my favourite show on TV since Person of Interest ended; it really rewards patience and attention to detail.

Anyone watch the first 2 eps of Cloak and Dagger?

I liked it. Show is off to a good start.
I want to get 3 or so more episodes before I start throwing too much praise, but the first 2 were solid.

Amazon has the series here so i binged the first three episodes. I like the tone and the feel of the show, and, unlike Preacher, actually feels like a show set/filmed in New Orleans.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: June 23, 2018, 06:48:28 AM »
I finally made it to season 5 of Lost. I been avoiding this show like the plague. My parents got super into it. They watch it, go back to beginning watch it again. I got to season 3 and gave up. SO this last month I got through s4 and am now 4 episodes  into Season 5. This show just pisses me off. That is all.

Yeah the show was good until the writers strike and then it got bad. I watched it all the way through. There is some really good stuff ahead though. No payoff for finishing though.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: June 28, 2018, 07:52:03 PM »
So...Double Dare's back. With Marc Summers...sort of. And it's...pretty OK.

I watched the 3 episodes that seem available at the moment, and so far the show seems to be off to a good start. The show has a good rhythm to it, Liza's an excellent host when it comes to the energy, and Marc Summers is classy as ever as the co-host/announcer.

Too bad the pilot was so terrible. Weak physical challenges based largely around water, almost no messiness, and an incredibly lame obstacle course did not start the show off well. However, there must have been some studio notes to the tune of "THIS IS DOUBLE DARE, DAMNIT!", because the slime & the muck appear in huge amounts & often in the 2nd & 3rd episodes. The obstacle course also received some alternative stops that just fit Double Dare better.

The show still has some issues. I feel like the questions are almost insultingly easy for a show that's supposed to be pushing the physical challenges, but the show has regressed a bit to 2 teams of very young children, so it makes sense. What I think is a larger issue is that it just doesn't feel like the Obstacle course was balanced well. Of the 3 teams that ran the course, 2 got stuck on one obstacle, as typical for Double Dare, and lost.
However, the 3rd was finding those flags almost as soon as they reached the obstacle, and they still didn't make it.

It feels like the obstacles might need to tweaked a bit to make them take less time to complete.

So far, so good. They even kept the running gag where all the prizes are incredibly lame until you reach the grand prize, including karaoke machines just like in the good ol' days.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 07:53:38 PM by broodwars »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: June 28, 2018, 11:46:37 PM »
Luke Cage

Is anyone slogging through this? Fiege needs to take over Marvel TV.
It's not that the show is bad, it's just that it's so slow... it's on the verge of being boring.
Dude that plays Luke just has the DRIEST delivery of EVERYTHING ever....
Girl that plays Black Mariah just does not sell EVIL SCARY BITCH NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH
the relationship between Mariah and Shades is just... it just... doesn't work, It's not believable. there is no chemistry and NO passion in their relationship.

and can all these actors seriously train martial arts, boxing or whatever HARD in the off season? The fight scenes aren't terribad, but they are certainly lacking execution and excitement.
I feel like it would be a little more exciting if Luke Cage himself could seem even a little amused during a fight. There are much more interesting ways to take a bullet than just standing there... learn to play with your food a little son. damn.

I still got like 3 episodes to go, and I've been watching this show for 2 weeks. Marvel lucky I already bought in to the MarvelNetflixU, because this has been a pretty tough watch for me to binge through so far.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: June 29, 2018, 01:09:27 AM »
DC TV really nail down the Super fights. It still suffers at times from fist fight in a fire fight which Legends is super guilty of. The season finale in Supergirl, Kara has this amazing little fight sequence that is so much better than most marvel movies.

WestWorld:
Amazing. Not much to say really. It equalled last season in most ways and I came away satisfied with the conclusion which was a surprise extended episode. This show has a lot of guts. Killed my favourite character Elsie, RIP.