Poll

What device do you use most to Netflix? (choose all that apply)

Game Console
22 (42.3%)
Smart Box (AppleTV, Roku, Blu-Ray player)
10 (19.2%)
Smart Phone/Tablet (& Chromecast)
8 (15.4%)
Smart TV
3 (5.8%)
Computer/HTPC
9 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: All Things Netflix! Coming Soon: The Netflix Experience, Live and In Person!??  (Read 321777 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: All Things Netflix! Now With Original Programming!
« Reply #350 on: April 23, 2014, 02:01:38 PM »
Well, Amazon did raise the cost of Prime. I'm sure that extra cash helped pay for this to some extent.

Pity it is a three year delay. We currently get Game of Thrones from the library. It is about a month wait but I'll take that over a three year wait. Nice for the older series like True Blood.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #351 on: April 23, 2014, 09:56:19 PM »
HBO knows their content is tied to cable subscriptions and that people hate cable companies.  With  People ditching cable (and satellite) in favor of stuff like this, it makes sense that they would be looking for other ways to gain viewership and revenue.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 23, 2014, 10:49:10 PM »
But Netflix has been trying to get HBO for years.

HBO has refused to get from behind the paywall,
so Netflix said they will become the next HBO, and that's when Original Content started.

So now HBO has sided with Amazon in the streaming war.

and it comes right after Netflix spoke out against the Comcast/TWC merger, which would make Comcast by far the largest source of HBO viewership and subscription services. Especially since Comcast in some regions allows you to bundle HBO with an internet only package.

Netlfix just lost a single battle, but the war is far from over.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #353 on: April 24, 2014, 12:57:32 AM »
Well, as it was it mentioned, Amazon Prime prices went up.  I'm thinking Netflix was being hesitant about raising prices, but Amazon wasn't.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 24, 2014, 01:28:52 AM »
Well, as it was it mentioned, Amazon Prime prices went up.  I'm thinking Netflix was being hesitant about raising prices, but Amazon wasn't.

That could also be a reason.

Although I'm surprised Netflix doesn't already cost $9.99mo for just the streaming option.
They are already raising prices by a $1 or $2 anyways, so if that's what it wouldn't taken, then they should have just pulled the trigger a little earlier. I don't want to pay more, but honestly, I wouldn't even notice.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #355 on: April 24, 2014, 01:45:15 AM »
Well, Amazon also has other revenue streams to balance out the costs.  Even if adding HBO content wasn't worth the price increase, if it generated subscriptions, you'd have a new batch of people who could be looking to cash in on the free two day shipping.  That would cover anything the price increase didn't.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 24, 2014, 01:50:37 AM »
Well, Amazon is also and interesting choice as what they don't offer for free through Prime, they sell by the episode. So while they may entice you into subscription with s1-s3 of whatever, they can also sell you by the episode for s4-s5 till you're caught up, assuming you're not willing to wait.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #357 on: April 24, 2014, 08:24:40 AM »
And I have a feeling that HBO is confident enough in their content to chalk that up as a part of the deal.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 24, 2014, 11:50:10 AM »
I didn't think about that until right before I posted it, but that likely makes Amazon the only viable choice of the big streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Prime) as Netflix doesn't sell anything but the subscription, Hulu has commercials, and will break things that weren't designed for commercial breaks by randomly inserting breaks, but Prime will sell episodes and the 3year delay will require that, allowing HBO to get money from Amazon & it's customers in 2 ways still.

But Amazon Prime's UI is still a reason I don't like it as much as Netflix. I only really use it on the Wii U and the Roku, but navigation and finding something I want to watch that doesn't cost me anything beyond the subscription price I already is much more difficult through Prime.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 04, 2014, 03:28:48 PM »
Netflix disses Verizon with "Verizon can't handle the Traffic", verizon responds "Nuh Uh!!"
http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/4/5780006/verizon-slams-netflix-pr-stunt-that-told-users-their-isps-were

Verizon has struck back at what it calls a Netflix "PR stunt" that blames its network for poor video quality. Last night, Netflix began testing an error message telling users that congestion with their ISP was hurting their service quality. "The Verizon network is crowded right now," said one message shown during buffering. But "this claim is not only inaccurate, it is deliberately misleading," says Verizon, suggesting that the choice was a political move meant to score points in the net neutrality fight. "It is sad that Netflix is willing to deliberately mislead its customers so they can be used as pawns in business negotiations and regulatory proceedings," it says. Here's its reasoning:
Quote from: Verizon
The source of the problem is almost certainly NOT congestion in Verizon’s network. Instead, the problem is most likely congestion on the connection that Netflix has chosen to use to reach Verizon’s network. Of course, Netflix is solely responsible for choosing how their traffic is routed into any ISP’s network.
The issue in question isn't that a network was crowded, it's which one was crowded. While Netflix's statement implies that the problem lies with the "last mile" of Verizon service, Verizon says the issue is really Netflix's connection to that last mile. This segment is the subject of a power struggle between Netflix and ISPs, who have been negotiating over how the service can reach subscribers. Netflix has struck deals with Comcast and Verizon to connect directly to their networks, rather than using a third-party service to send data, and Verizon rightly points out that it's playing fast and loose with the limits of the "Verizon network." "It would be more accurate for Netflix's message screen to say: 'The path that we have chosen to reach Verizon's network is crowded right now,'" said the post. But given that Verizon itself has control over how to manage and upgrade those connections, there's some hair-splitting going on from both sides.

So Netflix pays out Comcast & Verizon for direct connection to the backbone they provide to their customers. Comcast service took a dramatic dip during the negotiations, but then skyrocketed right after. Verizon service still has hiccups, and Netflix calls them on it. Verizon's response is that you're the sucker that paid us to deliver the same connection you were getting before hand?

Somebody needs to regulate that the speeds of internet access in this country are to hit milestones over the next 5 years or all exclusivity deals are off the table for being unfulfilled. Free reign to a free market or classified as a public utility or whatever.... as long as it frees up Google to start laying all that gigabit fiber from coast to coast.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 03:30:54 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #360 on: June 04, 2014, 03:33:46 PM »
Verizon sounds like a dick hole by saying that Netflix is being manipulative in the Net Neutrality fight.   It's like they don't see their positive as being manipulative altogether.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 04, 2014, 03:52:53 PM »
I think that is a smart move by Netflix.  If they can figure out that there being throttled and the companies are not giving the customers the speeds they are paying for *cough* ATT *cough*  then they should call them out and let the customer know.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 11, 2014, 11:19:58 AM »
Netflix is reviving The Magic School Bus with 26 new episodes.
http://www.slashfilm.com/netflix-magic-school-bus-reboot/

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 12, 2014, 08:02:37 AM »
Just don't change that glorious theme song. I remember when I heard the updated Reading Rainbow theme song (not the DMC version). I almost punched something.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 12, 2014, 09:29:03 AM »
Netflix is reviving The Magic School Bus with 26 new episodes.
http://www.slashfilm.com/netflix-magic-school-bus-reboot/
I take issue with it being CG.
The problem with CG in a kid show is how difficult it is to randomly add little touches on a whim.  What was going on in the background and all the little things in the Magic Schoolbus really worked for that series.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 12, 2014, 12:06:19 PM »
I was watching the Magic School Bus on a sick day when my dog was hit and killed by a school bus. It kinda killed my joy of the show. Figures my dog, the only one in the neighborhood who was consistently leashed, got away and ran into the streets.

Then the neighbor's dog, who played in the streets daily, got hit a week later and only had a broken leg. Life can be a bitch sometimes.

Despite that, I remember the series fondly as a good edutainment show and still quote it when encouraging kids to "get messy and make mistakes" in life. Pity it is CG because we have too many of those already. Being 2D would have set the show apart from the rest of the stuff that seems bland and generic.
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 12, 2014, 01:44:10 PM »
Just don't change that glorious theme song. I remember when I heard the updated Reading Rainbow theme song (not the DMC version). I almost punched something.

Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 12, 2014, 06:21:19 PM »
Somebody needs to regulate that the speeds of internet access in this country are to hit milestones over the next 5 years or all exclusivity deals are off the table for being unfulfilled. Free reign to a free market or classified as a public utility or whatever.... as long as it frees up Google to start laying all that gigabit fiber from coast to coast.

The alternative is the incumbent (here it's BT = British Telecom) to be forced by government to provide wholesale connectivity to other companies who want to provide internet access.

The result is nobody can try that stunt here now because customers will just leave.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 19, 2014, 08:45:07 PM »
Hey, did you guys know that Netflix has a Netflix Original Anime series....

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/netflix-first-original-anime-series-looks-robotech-leve-1596440518
Knights of Sidonia

The first Netflix original anime series, Knights of Sidonia, based on the popular manga series of the same name, follows Nagate, a low-born youth in a society of genetically engineered refugees who escaped the destruction of Earth one thousand years earlier and now occupy the massive ship Sidonia. When Nagate's talent as a pilot is revealed he becomes one of Sidonia's elite defenders against the Guana, shapeshifting aliens bent on eliminating humans from existence.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 19, 2014, 08:55:12 PM »
I noticed it a little bit ago and plan to check it out once I am finished with the Clone Wars series. The farther I get into Clone Wars the more bummed I am that it got canceled. Though so far I feel Season 5 was better than the first half-dozen episodes of 6. Hopefully it picks up and really becomes a worthy send-off for the series. It does give me optimistic hope for the new Rebels series taking it's place.

I am wondering when Netflix will be bringing Walking Dead and Arrow seasons up to date. I thought it would have appeared by now or are the studios not playing as nice this time around?

My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 19, 2014, 09:13:11 PM »
Clone Wars was cancelled?

I thought they went into their 6th and final season knowing that it was going to be the final season, as that's the way they planned it? It was 6 seasons right? I never finished it..... :/

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 19, 2014, 11:51:15 PM »
Clone Wars was cancelled?

I thought they went into their 6th and final season knowing that it was going to be the final season, as that's the way they planned it? It was 6 seasons right? I never finished it..... :/

Nope, the show was doing well and it was cancelled in the middle of the sixth season with everything else star ars realted after disney. They were alllowed to finish season six and than started working on rebels.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 28, 2014, 10:08:16 PM »
Knights is pretty dope. The action is great and there's enough underlying plot/conspiracy to keep you interested.

Clone Wars is dope. The Yoda episodes are amazing. I never really was a fan of Star Wars (I mean it's cool), but that made me realize why people love it so much.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 28, 2014, 10:48:43 PM »
Just finished Clone Wars season six. I may rewatch it in the order that the timeline for the series goes.

I haven't tried Knights yet. I'm waiting for new Lillyhammer, house of cards, and for the Marvel stuff to start.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 28, 2014, 10:59:17 PM »
Here is another new Netflix Original animation