Author Topic: E3 2017: REGGIE GOES BIG  (Read 28207 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: E3 2017: REGGIE GOES BIG
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2017, 01:28:12 AM »
Animal Crossing in a giant world would be awesome one which once you have your friends code your little town or village is plopped onto a big Breath of the Wild sized Map. 

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2017, 04:27:51 AM »
I think it'd be cool if they centered the next original Smash Bros. entry around Sakurai's own take on the tagging mechanic we see in some fighting games (they could literally call it... "Smash Bros. Switch"). It would allow them to keep the core mechanics of the series intact, at least in some fashion, but it might also give Sakurai room to add enough new mechanics and gameplay changes that it feels like a truly significant change to the way Smash Bros. is played. It would also fall in line with the frenetic, ridiculous action the series is known for. Bring some Project X Zone staffers on board to write the dialogue (or, better yet, make a full tactical RPG/Smash Bros. crossover story mode) for maximum random crazy bullshit.

And, yeah, I'd also like to see the next Animal Crossing entry move towards a bigger town. I enjoyed the core mechanics of New Leaf well enough, but the size of the town kind of took me out of the game. I don't think it has to be gigantic, as that might take some of the sense of community out of it, but I would like to see it expanded.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »
I like the idea somebody on these forums came up with for a Donkey Kong game modeled on the climbing and environmental platforming in the Uncharted franchise. It'd fit his character and, while part of an existing IP, be something Nintendo's never done before.

That was me.

The other thing about Donkey Kong is he isn't human. He is an ape. He has the strength of 9 men. He's going to be able to do tasks that Drake or Tomb Raider can't do.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2017, 06:03:40 PM »
And, yeah, I'd also like to see the next Animal Crossing entry move towards a bigger town.
One thing I think would help is if most of the shops and stuff weren't separated off into their own section. That makes things feel smaller to me. But yeah, the village size is definitely starting to feel cramped, especially with everything you were able to place into a village in New Leaf.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2017, 09:06:17 PM »
For Smash Bros I think A big change up would be making the series 3D. PowerStone was a whole lot like Smash Bros when it came out. They could call it Smash Bros Battle Arena. As I said in the previous post, they should keep old hat Smash Bros around just to appease fans and because it's a perfected type game that's most significant change is roster switchups..  It would be kind of interesting to play a more death match style Smash bros game. Where characters actually play like they do in their respective game. The Switch makes this possible because of its form factor. Of course every character would need to jump. I imagine arenas large enough for people to hide. It'd be kind of like Running man or hunger games with Nintendo characters.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2017, 12:49:43 AM »
I guess I can throw out my thoughts on expectations on E3 this year. 

Hmm I would like if Nintendo would keep supporting the 2DS/3DS et al along with the Switch obviously. Keep the indie titles coming for the 3DS line of handhelds.

As for the Switch I don't have much expectations because I don't have one yet but it would be nice to see a Animal Crossing game for the Switch. It is pretty much a perfect fit for the system. It has the local play when you take the system on the go for others and it has the handheld mode for when you want to just work on your town and make your town how you would like.

I am kinda thinking that Monster Hunter Generations 2/ Cross Cross would be a nice fit. Generations is on the 3DS so something along the lines of 3U could happen with data transfer.  Actually I think that is already a thing in Cross Cross so I guess just bring over the game to the West and I would be fine.   

As for what I am excited for that has already been announced Super Mario Odyssey is pretty exciting for me. Looking forward to all the different indie games as well.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2017, 01:51:31 AM »
I think Nintendo will continue to support the 3DS, but you won't know it from the way they handle E3. 3DS has generally been an afterthought in their E3 booths, and I expect it to have even less of a presence this year. There will be 3DS stuff in the press kit, and probably some demos stuck in a corner somewhere, but I wouldn't expect any mention of it in their main presentation at the show, whether that's a Nintendo Direct or they return to a live press conference.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2017, 11:23:51 AM »
I'm holding off on my E3 predictions until the site pool goes up, but I will say that they're as pessimistic.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2017, 12:08:55 PM »
What are some of Nintendo's developers who haven't released a game recently? That might give us an idea of what we might see. The main one I can think of is Retro, so maybe we'll see a game from them. If Pikmin 4 is a thing then we'll probably see that as well.

Speaking of Pikmin, is that 2D one on the 3DS still coming out?

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2017, 10:13:56 PM »
I'll put myself out there with an outlier expectation. I'm usually one to expect something totally nonsensical.

How about Nintendo release an honest-to-god modern online thing. Why is it when I go to the Nintendo eShop, Just Dance 2017 is no where to be found??? I'd expect to see it visible on page 1. Why not show them some love??

The shop needs help even if it only has a limited selection of titles. With what's there, I want more demoes. I need to see some sort of slideshow of titles that are supposed to be interesting even if I'm not really interested. I want to feel like the shop is the lively place to go when I'm craving something but not sure what. The current default page of "Recent" only really accomplishes reminding me that NeoGeo is like half of the current catalog... and then the Coming Soon page with only 4 titles reminds me not to make any digital purchases with the Switch in case I decide to cash in on this thing!

Nintendo could do a better job of presenting this thing as a social hub for gamers. I think I get that they're not trying to do this, but it's what they need to do. The Switch kinda feels like it should do this (naturally) as a device meant to be played at home and on the go. I'm just not sure why the most basic features are totally absent from this thing. Why can't I message my friends on there? Why is there no interaction? When I can see them playing a game, shouldn't I expect that I can send them an invite to turn it into a co-op experience??

Forgive me if I seem a little jaded and let down, BUT understand where I'm coming from. I'm only one developer and I could have built a vastly superior eShop to what I see on here. It would have taken me just one month to do it.

So when we talk about Nintendo having a big E3 and what software could be announced, I'm not even thinking about games. I'm thinking about an OS overhaul with brand new eShop and online community/friend stuff.

EDIT: I just noticed that their online app with lobby and party chat is not even due out until the Fall. Like, we won't even get a chance to try it out without having to pay a subscription fee...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:43:25 PM by Agent-X- »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2017, 12:31:30 AM »
I can't give Nintendo too much **** for the Wii U's online shop. I think it holds up against the Playstation shop pretty well. I would say the Playstation shop is more flexible, but the Nintendo shop is easier to navigate.

Nintendo really doesn't understand the gold mine of content they sit on. Nintendo has the longest timeline of classic gaming, Nintendo has 7 generations while Sony has 4. Which is starting to not be as big of a difference.
Nintendo should really have a couple hundred games from its own past systems each already out and ready to purchase.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 12:36:08 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2017, 06:42:20 PM »
EDIT: I just noticed that their online app with lobby and party chat is not even due out until the Fall. Like, we won't even get a chance to try it out without having to pay a subscription fee...

According to Nintendo's site, we will get to try out a limited version of the app this summer before the full paid online service launches in the fall.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2017, 09:42:13 PM »

According to Nintendo's site, we will get to try out a limited version of the app this summer before the full paid online service launches in the fall.

Which is a big mistake really. There needs to be a way to test drive the features before plunking down cash for it. Splatoon 2 is a game which greatly benefits from possible team chat.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2017, 06:07:43 PM »
Well, I'm even more hyped for E3 after the last Nintendo Direct. I think most people, including myself, expected Splatoon 2 in mid-August. A July 21 release date puts a pretty significant gap between Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey with not much currently announced first-party content to fill that space. The only games with a straight "2017" release date right now are Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and while mainline Fire Emblem has undoubtedly become a huge series for Nintendo in the West, I can't see Fire Emblem Warriors being the only game they release between the end of July and November. Nintendo could use that period to launch Virtual Console, but this at least lends more plausibility to the optimistic view that they have one or two aces left up their sleeve for this year.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2017, 10:56:48 PM »
That will (hopefully) be when we finally get the word on the app, so I think I'm most looking forward to that.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2017, 11:57:44 PM »
Nintendo could use that period to launch Virtual Console, but this at least lends more plausibility to the optimistic view that they have one or two aces left up their sleeve for this year.

We saw the announcement of the final Smash amiibo, and I think that the Summer release of them is no coincidence. I think there will be two big game reveals and one of them is going to be an enhanced Smash port to go along with those amiibo.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2017, 08:46:47 AM »
I originally thought that, but I don't believe Nintendo will release Splatoon 2 and a Super Smash Bros. port so close to each other. Nintendo may want to do a 20th Anniversary thing for Super Smash Bros. though 2019 would be a long time to be without the series. Unless Nintendo fills in the late summer release gap, I think early to mid September 2017 may be a good time. If not, early 2018.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2017, 03:07:40 AM »
Whether it is Summer or later, I think we'll see Smash before the end of the year. It could be a great complimentary title to release with Mario Odyssey this Fall.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2017, 02:07:14 PM »
I think Smash Bros hitting in 2017 depends on just how much new content they're adding.  Unlike Mario Kart even adding a few new characters is a much bigger undertaking in something like Smash Bros.  If it's just all the content of the 3DS and Wii U versions combined with all the DLC and including Ice Climbers, Wolf and the Inklings as an added bonus then yeah a 2017 is pretty doable. 

If Nintendo and Sakurai decided to go crazy and add a dozen new characters though and over 20 new stages, maybe even a single player adventure mode again, then I'd imagine them making this one of their big early 2018 games.  I mean this is Sakurai we're talking about.  It could have started as an enhanced port like Mario Kart but then he got some idea's and it become a sequel like Splatoon 2 now.

Either way, we should find out at E3.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2017, 05:34:09 PM »
Besides balancing, Namco Bandai finished development over a year ago. That's plenty of time to add a bunch of characters and stages though, managing my expectations, I'm expecting four additional characters max. Even if there were more, I feel like they would be ready to go by Q3 or Q4.

Nintendo's problem is timing the release of Super Smash Bros. which is a much better problem to have than not having anything to release. I think it's in Nintendo's best interest to spread out releasing the ports (enhanced or otherwise) just so the lineup doesn't just look like a Wii U graveyard.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2017, 09:59:43 PM »
I was thinking similarly regarding Smash Bros this year. I know at least a few people already pounding their tables demanding it be released. But now I actually wonder if ARMS might be the fighting game Nintendo wants to focus on this year (thinking DLC and online events).

I think we all know that Nintendo has a gap to fill, and I'm just not certain they will dip into their port collection for Smash Bros just yet. Would be great to have it. I know I miss it already. Just think that Nintendo has x amount of blockbuster Wii U ports they can enhance and hype, grouping that one close with ARMS might cannibalize audience a bit.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2017, 10:12:06 PM »
We ought to put together a checklist for E3 of what Nintendo needs to do for it to qualify as going BIG.

My checklist is looking like this.
  • Dark Souls game for Switch
  • Borderlands game for Switch
  • Call of Duty on Switch
  • Overwatch (Switch)
  • Rocket League (Switch)
  • Grand Theft Auto 5 on Switch
Obviously, some of these maybe a very long shot considering politics involved, but I am personally hoping for a Borderlands game. I think it very well could happen, and I think Nintendo might be going to help it happen. I think Dark Souls is a slam dunk and basically is just waiting to be announced--on this we will see.

What do others have for a checklist for E3?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2017, 10:51:19 PM »
Here's my prediction: all of those games will be announced at E3. ALL of them.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2017, 11:03:33 PM »
Here's my prediction: all of those games will be announced at E3. ALL of them.

Don't toy with my heart... I know better, but I can still hope.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2017, 11:51:43 PM »
My prediction? None of those games will be announced, nor will they ever run, on Switch.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.