Author Topic: Super Mario Maker 2 Announced  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Br26

• OH REALLY
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Super Mario Maker 2 Announced
« on: February 13, 2019, 09:16:00 AM »

SLOPES!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/49701/super-mario-maker-2-announced

Super Mario Maker 2 has been announced.

Shown at the start of today’s Nintendo Direct, a trailer was shown showcasing bigger enemies. For Super Mario World mode, slopes have been added, and a Cat Mario power-up was shown in a New Super Mario Bros. stage.

There also appears to be new tweaks to the menu, as well as what appears to be coin challenges.

Super Mario Maker 2 is slated for release in June.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Maker 2 Announced
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 06:29:10 PM »
The first game was great, but one of my complaints from that game was it didn't have the Super Mario Bros 2 theme. I have a feeling this one will.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 06:43:40 PM »
I was trash at creating stages. I liked playing others’ creations.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 11:53:38 PM »
Who had an unbeat creation? I wanted to play it, but my copy was missing, and then I never hooked my WiiU back up after I bough a PS4

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 02:39:46 AM »
I just can't bring myself to care about this game as someone who only likes to play Mario stages, not create them. Mario Make is like Nintendo's own LittleBigPlanet: it's great for the 1% of players who will delve into the tools & create stages, and it's incredibly middling for everyone else.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 06:40:01 AM »
If you like to play Mario levels this gives you an infinite supply of them. I never got that deep into the creation elements of the last one, but I still enjoyed the hell out of it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 08:08:00 AM »
If you like to play Mario levels this gives you an infinite supply of them. I never got that deep into the creation elements of the last one, but I still enjoyed the hell out of it.

My experience with Mario Maker's user-created levels was that it was 99% murder gauntlets & non-interactive Rube Goldberg stages, not exactly the most satisfying stages to play.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 08:28:09 AM »

My experience with Mario Maker's user-created levels was that it was 99% murder gauntlets & non-interactive Rube Goldberg stages, not exactly the most satisfying stages to play.

There IS a lot of gold in Mario Maker levels, but there's no doubt that it's not hard to run into the issue you mentioned without them hopefully putting some more thought in how players can filter types of levels you don't want to engage with.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 12:08:58 PM »
I dug Super Mario Maker when it first came out until Nintendo banned one of my levels and provided no feedback whatsoever on what was wrong with it and what I could do to fix it.  I had some ambitions of trying to create my own Mario game with it but once that happened I was completely soured on the experience and I don't think I've even played the game since.  Hell, I'm getting mad just reflecting on it now.

This time Nintendo should have some sort of indication of what is wrong with a level when they ban it.  Even just an error code saying that it has been blocked for offensive content or exploiting a glitch or it has been removed due to a lack of popularity and then the user can tweak the level and submit it again.  If they have some algorithm that flags levels then it should run locally when the user tries to upload so that they can correct things right then and there.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 12:20:00 PM »
Doing some research on the banned levels I was reminded about another detail.  The banned levels were permanently flagged!  You couldn't try editing them and re-submitting them even if you wanted to.  That needs to change for the sequel.

Offline RPG_FAN128

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • RPG_FAN128 Programming
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 01:03:00 AM »
Doing some research on the banned levels I was reminded about another detail.  The banned levels were permanently flagged!  You couldn't try editing them and re-submitting them even if you wanted to.  That needs to change for the sequel.

After uploading a level it contains that yellow "upload icon" but if you immediately pop it open in the editor, change one thing and save it will remove that upload icon and you can then re-upload this at any time.  As long as you don't connect to the internet AFTER a course has been deleted you can still save it in this fashion. 

If you get the red cross through your yellow icon it's game over -- unless you have a modified Wii U.  Mwa ha ha!  This requires you to inject your course into a different course file save. 

But totally agreed, this should definitely NOT be a thing in Mario Maker 2.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 02:59:50 AM »
You know I really love the idea of Super Mario Maker, and it is one of those games I would consider buying a Switch for.  I love the idea of just sitting down and playing a never ending supply of Mario levels.  I have a hard time getting back into gaming, but nostalgia is one that helps me.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 09:08:39 PM »
I wonder how much of an asshole I can be with the more robust autoscrolling deal they showed in the trailer.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2019, 09:39:21 PM »
Some things I would like to see in this sequel.

1) More guest characters Perhaps even making the game play like Super Mario Crossover, giving guest characters a special move from their series.

2) Guest characters with 16bit models and 3D models.  Yeah, I know this is more work, but it would add so much fun and value to the game and experience.

3) New items retro-ified and new items in general.  Just because this is a Super Mario Maker, doesn't mean they couldn't add a brand new power up or 2. 

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 01:25:06 PM »
One thing that would cool for this is if you could mix stuff from the different styles.  The guest characters were all SMB1 style.  Well why can't I make a SMW style game that just has a SMB1 guest character in it?  This also makes it easier to accommodate items that are unique to one Mario game.  You don't need four versions of the item then.

I also would want Super Mario All-Star sprites for SMB1 and 3 as an option.  If you then make SMW your main style and incorporate a few SMB1 and 3 items in it the All-Stars style sprites already have a 16-bit look that would blend better.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 06:07:26 PM »
I think the style blends will make it to strange.

I originally wanted an idea to have each style be able to play like the others, but then I realized what if they added Super Mario 2.  It can't be the same style. 

Then I realized that unique styles give players a completely different game they are creating, and the guest characters added a unique aspect to the 8bit creations. 

Still I would love for those guest characters to keep some sort of aspect from their original games.  like the Mario fireball becomes Link's boomerang and comes back to you.  Samus and Mega Man get a charge shot that can go through 1 to 3 enemies.  ect. 

Offline kaijugamer

• Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 11:09:22 PM »
I would definitely try this one since I missed out on the first one.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 01:07:09 AM »
After a year or so of a disconnected WiiU this game repeaked my interest. I played an excellent level the other day that was ridiculously hard, and was first to beat it.