Author Topic: SPOILER ALERT: MCU Thread (Quantum-Ant-Man-ia)  (Read 239038 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: SPOILER ALERT: Marvel Cinematic Universe (Doctor Strange / Luke Cage)
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2016, 09:35:58 AM »
It was more like "Self-less Defense" but the moment was already funny in that it time looped and Dormammu was annoyed.
It's just that the initial impression from lots of general audience i've seen and read about, is that the 7-10 deaths that were shown, was all that happened. He was literally gone for 5 minutes, and now he's back.
2 extra minutes w/ a FstFwd montage would have just sunk it in that he was there for a while, suffered immensely, and stuck it out till he eventually got what he was asking for.

But it's pointless to bicker about, because we didn't get it. I just think it would have added much need weight and longevity that you mentioned. And the break in the middle to annoy Dormammu even more as he tries to just leave, only to get killed again and reset the loop back to the quick killing spree in fast fwd, would have just been a great way to break up the violence in a very Marvel way. Keeping it light, especially when it was about to get dark and heavy.

as a matter of fact, maybe they could have played out the missing time of the battle of self-sacrifice during the credits, after the mid credits scene, but leading up to the post credits scene. Marvel really needs to fill that space with something interesting. That's the real Marvel Movie fix that needs to happen across ALL the Marvel movies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2016, 09:15:37 AM »
Dammit Strange....

They said there was dangers to playing with time. We are now in The Dark Dimension. Dormammu won afterall.

I now have to root for Thanos to complete the guantlet, and reset the timeline.

and to now mask a wall of text about what I really feel behind the words of a mere phrase.

WE ARE GROOT.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2016, 05:36:12 AM »
Let me first say, this movie was the best movie visually I've seen since Avatar. The incredibly creative eye-candy blew me away. IMAX 3D is the way to watch this.

As for the story, I thought it was a decent introduction. Maybe a 7 out of 10. You guys hit most of the points I had problems with; ie not enough Doctor before Strange, the comedy was forced, the villain had no backstory, and Strange's self-sacrifice was glossed over too quickly. I really think if they added 15 minutes to the movie and cut down on the comedy, it would have been an excellent movie.

Speaking of the comedy, I understand it's supposed to be fun, and it was. Still, I really think this story, more than other MCU movies, lends itself to feelings of pain and desperation. I wanted to see Strange as whimsically cocky as ever as the head of his field only to struggle for a good part of the movie to the point of even contemplating suicide. I wanted to feel that sadness, self-loathing, and destructive behavior. It would have made the "traversing the multiverse" scene hit so much harder, and really give meaning to his waiting outside the monastery other than for the plot. We all wanted to relate to his character and we weren't given the chance.

That aside, I really have a problem with MCU villains. They all...well, kinda suck. There's nothing ever interesting about them (except Loki). I don't know if it's the scripts' fault or what, but I'd be hard pressed to name any of them. This is a real problem as a hero is only as good as their villain. This is why DCU will always be (more?) popular. Their villains, from the Joker to Lex Luther to Vandal Savage, have clear-cut motivations and personalities. In MCU, none of the villains (except Loki again) have any charisma, and so they're hard to care about and understand.

Last thing I'll say is, did you realize this movie had maybe 6 characters with more than two sentences of dialogue? Count them out. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I just thought it was interesting.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 05:39:00 AM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2016, 07:33:03 AM »
That aside, I really have a problem with MCU villains. They all...well, kinda suck. There's nothing ever interesting about them (except Loki).

You should say including Loki.

Marvel's Heroes are more interesting than DC comics, but almost all of DC comics villains are more interesting than Marvel's.

Marvel has Magneto and most of the X-men villains. 

DC has Joker and most of the Batman Villains.  Lex Luthor, Bizzaro, Doomsday, Vandal Savage, Cheetah, Darkseid, Deathstroke...and more that are all pretty great.

But honestly Marvel could have great villains (Look at King Pin) but they don't spend time writing and developing those characters.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2016, 11:15:22 AM »
I forgot about Magneto! One of my all-time favorite villains!

There are actually a lot of great villains from the X-Men.

I like Loki. I understand his motivations and personality. He was destined as a child to fight Thor for the thrown. Hell, Odin saw fit to that when he pretty much told them both they could be ruler someday. And instead of trying to match Thor's braun to win, he uses his cunning instead. Now just give him a good plot that I can make sense out of, and you have a great villain.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2016, 04:24:28 PM »
MCU Villains have been mediocre

The best villains Fox and Sony has.

Luckily Spider-man is back in the MCU. All of the Spider-man villains are good. Doctor Octopus, Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, Scorpion, Shocker, Mysterio, Electro, Vulture, Venom, Carnage, Lizard, Morbius, Kraven, King Pin :P

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2016, 07:51:19 PM »
Most of the MCU villains so far had the potential to be fantastic. Many were even creatively cast, but I feel the direction wasn't there to make them truly memorable. Christopher Eccelstein in Thor 2 should have been great, but between all of the makeup and direction he missed the mark.

I suspect the problem really boils down to the MCU films being about heroes. They want us to latch onto the heroes. It was really the point of the MCU for the Avengers to get together. Because of this driven focus, we got a great film series which so far has culminated with Civil War, a film all about heroes versus heroes. Villains just take a back seat in the entire MCU vision.

The only villain I expect to rise about this is Thanos, because he has been the only villain outside of Loki to have any sort of focus so far. Just as the Avengers was the end goal of the MCU in the start, so also is the fight against Thanos the new endpoint for the series.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Re: SPOILER ALERT: Marvel Cinematic Universe (Agents of SHIELD S04E15)
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2017, 02:26:35 AM »
can we update the thread title to include Agents of SHIELD S4 so Far.... because it's not even over yet, but someone else on this forum had to of been watching besides me.

This season YTD is the best MCU related thing this year (so far) and last year without a doubt.

here is a SPOILER (don't look until you are caught up on the LMD arc of AoS)
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/834255157307207682

we need to break down this episode. I need some Khushrenada like insight to the meanings of everything that happened in tonights episode alone. **** was crazy.

Who's watching besides me!?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2017, 03:00:42 AM »
I was waiting for the season to hit Netflix this Summer/Fall, but will have to get it back on our plate and catch up.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Re: SPOILER ALERT: Marvel Cinematic Universe (Agents of SHIELD Season 4)
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2017, 03:11:47 AM »
You got 6 weeks, but before you leave this thread till you're caught up, please rename the thread.

thanx :)

So many things to talk about, but just know that after Ghost Rider, the show actually gets even BETTER.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 11:06:53 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2017, 01:29:24 PM »
I've been watching.  By far the best comic book show on TV.  Far less irritants than the DC Arrowverse tripe. 

Though I don't know why Daisy didn't lead with that super quake shot thing instead of taking a beating by the fake director and being shot twice by fake Phil and Mac.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Re: SPOILER ALERT: Marvel Cinematic Universe (Agents of SHIELD Season 4)
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2017, 08:14:26 PM »
She didn't have her Gauntlets, so she needs to be careful and conservative with quake blast.

and see didn't see PhiLMD and LMacD before she got shot.

the fight sequences were really good, and it was Jed Whedon's first episode as a director. He did a really great job, especially if he did the action scenes himself. Quake vs LMDirector was a very well shot scene, with minimal jump cuts.

The multi-twist at the end tho
antoniobanderas.gif

Where does poor Gemma end up? six feet deep?

and they didnt' even revisit the Inhuman left on the bottom of the ocean. He was suspected to be Darwin, where he will adapt to whatever circumstance he is in to survive it. I hope that wasn't just a loose thread to never be revisited.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 11:07:45 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2017, 01:34:54 PM »
She didn't have her Gauntlets, so she needs to be careful and conservative with quake blast.

Yeah I know.  I was just thinking it would have been so much easier if she just dispatched him straight up like that but it's cool.  It is explainable and compared to the misgivings and overlooked nonsense in the Arrowverse shows it's completely fine lol.  I really should stop watching them but I just can't.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2017, 10:38:05 PM »

Yeah I know.  I was just thinking it would have been so much easier if she just dispatched him straight up like that but it's cool.  It is explainable and compared to the misgivings and overlooked nonsense in the Arrowverse shows it's completely fine lol.  I really should stop watching them but I just can't.

We are all so invested in the Arrowverse, that it's more habitual to watch, more than it is excitedly looking forward to the next episode, like I am w/ AoS. It's not that it's all terrible, or maybe it is and I'm just so used to overlooking it's shortcomings, but I'm still mildly entertained by it, and I'm really hoping for a BIG payoff in the form of crossovers or something like that I guess.
tl:dr Arrowverse... I don't hate it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Re: SPOILER ALERT: Marvel Cinematic Universe (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 4)
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2017, 12:18:11 PM »
Back to AoS though.

I know a bunch of people probably dropped this show back in the 1st season, and considering how many good shows were out then and out now, I don't blame them. Not many were so invested in the MCU that they stuck it out till the Winter Soldier twist (Hydra was there the entire time) that changed the whole show for the better.

Which means they also didn't stick around for the excellent 2nd season, which picked up the momentum from the end of the 1st season, and just ran with it and never looked back. It was like AoS was a whole new show at this point, a much better show at this point, but it was still the 1st season that set up some elements of character development and storyline that made S2 that much better. This was the season where they discovered Inhumans, where someone found out who they really were, what they could really do, and that they weren't alone. It ends with the cliff hanger of Simmons getting sucked into the black rock.

Now S3 was a bit of a bumpy ride with it's ups and downs, but overall it was very enjoyable. This was the Alien planet season, and the ep where Simmons is stuck on an alien planet was one of the best episodes of the show. One of the biggest builds up in this season is that Ward dies twice and hopefully Hydra was taken out in the process.

*Minor Spoilers below - this is a spoiler thread, but I wanted to talk about this show without diving into all details, just enough detail to renew interest in watching the show again.*

But on to the star of this show. The ongoing and Amazing Season 4 so far, as it's on'u 2/3 done, with a six week break before coming back to once again flip this show on it's head again.
Season 4 changes things up a bit in it's approach. For one it moved to 10pm on Tuesday nights. It decided to take it's borderline mature rating, and just go for it instead of trying to hit every demo like in S1, and the biggest and best change was that they decided to do 3 serialized story arcs with a thread or 2 connecting it all, instead of just 1 long "aimless" arc in S1 or 2 half seasons like in s2 & s3.

It starts off with the great Ghost Rider arc, which has a great storyline that involves the Darkhold and the new Ghost Rider, Robbie Reyes who drives a car, not a bike (although we do we do see Johnny Blaze on the Motorcycle too) One of the best things about this arc, besides Ghost Rider himself, was that it set up the next arc so well with use of the Darkhold and the creation of an LMD... using the Darkhold. This opening arc of S4 was so good, you figured, it's probably never going to be this good again.... seeing as GR had to make an exit from the show. Well, we were wrong.
Arc #2: LMD is actually EVEN BETTER.
LMD standing for Life Model Decoy, and the first prototype being A.I.D.A, and she is more terrifying than Ultron, and this season so far was actually better than the movies. Bold statement, I know, but one I believe to be true at this moment in time, as there are dozens and dozens of hours of build up and development in this show vs the movies. The sense of mystery and distrust built up in this season has been incredible. Between not knowing who is who, are you yourself, are you what and who you say you are, and is this reality, AoS really stepped up their storytelling and last episode that just aired before the last break of the season really has the potential to flip this show on it's head once again.

We find out that AIDA is crazy. Her objective is clear, but the process in which she interprets her programming to be more human has allowed her to rationale her thoughts. This led to preserving Radcliffe's life as programming, but not in the way he expected... or wanted.
Her reading the Darkhold has giving her access to understanding of things way beyond what we thought possible, and this lead to her creating not only a portal to the Limbo Dimension to rescue Coulson and Fitz, but also to creating artificial brains that allowed the for real LMD's and the Framework, which is a Virtual Reality that that simulates the entire world down to the most minute details. Artificial brains allowed Radclife and AIDA to map the entire human brain into an LMD so that the LMD may not even realize it was an LMD, but the framework allowed them to store the host body in stasis while they occupy the mind in a completely realistic virtual environment that was indistinguishable from reality... except they controlled what the reality was in here.
The dark side of this virtual reality is that AIDA was told to map brains and remove a guilt, and make that the host new reality, so this is where things can get flipped on their heads.

*Actual Spoilers Ahead*
Coulson, May, Mack, Fitz, and the Director are all trapped in the framework and don't know it.
Their LMD bodies have all been disposed of at this point.
Daisy and Simmons decide to jump into the frame work to rescue them.
-Coulson is no longer an Agent, but now a teacher, as he sometimes wished he never got in that life.
-Mack is at home with his daughter Hope that he never lost due to whatever that tragic accident was.
-Fitz is ballin' with a babe of some sort on his arm as he gets out of a limo in his expensive suit  Looks like maybe he invented some tech that made him insanely rich. I'm assuming Aida is his girl. and I assume that because....
-Simmons has a grave stone with a death date of November 8th, 2XXX which, could mean she wakes up in the Virtual world in a pine box.... or not... who knows.
-May is an Agent of Hydra, in the rebranded Triskellion with a giant Hydra logo on the side.
-Skye wakes naked in the bath, getting notified that she and her BF are being called in. she assumes it's Lincoln, but nope, it's even better. Her boyfriend in this virtual world is Ward. Yes he is back.

and back in the real world, Aida is chopping up a body to create a remote controlled LMD using a real human brain. One that feels real feelings in it's fake body. In other words, she put a dudes head in a box (it's still alive), and connected him remotely to an artificial body. The power of the Darkhold at work here people.

and it's been suggested by Marvel that the name of the 3rd arc is Agents of Hydra, but I'm hoping its something better than that.

The most impactful thing about this last episode is it calls back to everything you know about these characters in an attempt to realize not only what their regret was, but why it puts them where they are in The Framework.

So now, lets talk about where this next arc will take us and where it might leave us.
and who comes out of this, assuming they come out of this, with the worst case of PTSD?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 12:44:30 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
Re: SPOILER ALERT: MCU Thread (Guardians of the Galaxy V2 / Iron Fist / AoS S4)
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2017, 01:12:32 PM »
Updated with the next "wave" of releases. I was watching AoS with my wife, but I may ask her to let me cheat ahead on my own, because all I'm really watching on my own right now are reruns of P&R and American Dad, SW Rebels, Empire, and Once Upon a Time. Everything else I am watching is "watch with the wife" material so it is all on hold until we can find time to watch together. Too many shows with too little TV-together-time. I've already released her to watch ahead on some of our joint shows she cares more about, so I'm sure she won't mind me jumping ahead with Agents.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
The guy next to me made the film worth it. He was gasping and shocked and surprised and pointed at the screen and super into it but not overly so. His enthusiasm was infectious.

Then at the end he shouted **** YOU MARVEL! and everyone started laughing

Well.... when Fury was like "You Mothafu::fade to dust::...." I said No No NO NOOO NOOOOO Not Fury!!!!!!

Then everyone kept asking me what the symbol was that got the distress call out for. It's gonna be real interesting ho the Capt Marvel plays out, and how AoS is going to react this. OMG AoS... that just occurred to me ;_;

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
It’s almost as if people didn’t expect a dude with a reality-controlling gauntlet to kill half the universe.

Even Marvel’s pseudo-high stakes can’t make for compelling drama.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
I still think each movie or show should have its own spoiler thread. I've never seen AoS and only wanna talk about Infinity War...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 05:13:37 PM by BranDonk Kong »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
Re: SPOILER ALERT: MCU Thread (Avengers Infinity War)
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2018, 08:50:49 PM »
Changed the title to reflect the current film. Not reading comments until after viewing film tomorrow morning. Happy spoiling!
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2018, 09:58:19 PM »
I still think each movie or show should have its own spoiler thread. I've never seen AoS and only wanna talk about Infinity War...

You should fix that. It's actually a really good show. Top Tier MCU stuff.

I still can't believe how punked Hulk was in that whole movie. He was literally acting like a scared little bitch that didn't want to come out of his room. It was actually kinda funny. Thanos literally punked Hulk in the first 5 minutes of the movie, and all he does for the rest of the movie is poke his head out and say "NOOOOOOO". LOL

Doctor Strange looked at 1million possible outcomes.... and in none of them did he rewind the moment where Starlord lost his **** and fucked up the plan because of his feelings. They were seconds away from getting that gauntlet off of him... "it was the only way...."
I'm assuming he saw the outcome of Avengers 4 knowing that he would be back, but I'm pretty sure had they gotten the glove off of Thanos, they could have left him stranded on that planet and at least bought more time, or just outright kill him while he was "incapacitated".

Scarlet Witch also could have prevented this mind stone if only she had done what needed to be done, long before she actually did it..... :/
Tough choice for her though.

So many damn things happened in this movie. I'll probably keep parsing out thought randomly over time on this one.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2018, 10:56:03 PM »
You should take the Agents of Shield talk to the Rate the TV show thread so it doesn't disappear under IW.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2018, 05:21:56 PM »
Just took my kids to see it. When the screen went dark, my son asked "are they dead?" and I nodded my head...he burst into tears.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2018, 08:16:06 PM »
I cried as Tony held Peter. That was the hardest moment. But the whole film was hard. I'm torn up that Heimdall and Loki are gone (still convinced that Loki faked it, he would never go out in a noble fashion like that, definitely faked it out somehow for sure, but had to make it believable.)

All of the Guardians are gone except for Rocket. Though it is fairly obvious everyone disintegrated in that moment will be back when they are able to reverse it. Hopefully it also reverses the deaths on the Asgardian ship. I am told there was another ship with Valkyrie and Korg on it, explaining their absense. Felt a little hollow to see everyone die there after the events of Ragnarok.

I really liked how they built up Thanos. It worked and worked well. You understood his stance, but he was still wrong. He was absolutely the star of the film.

Also, did they confirm that Hela died? I presumed there was a chance she survived. She deserved another chance to be a villain. But Thor talks about killing his sister.

My Game Collection

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2018, 09:10:07 PM »
I mean Thor assumes she died because it literally happened like minutes before Infinity War started...so who knows.