Author Topic: Episode 303: Livin' Extra Large  (Read 5759 times)

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Episode 303: Livin' Extra Large
« on: August 26, 2012, 05:21:21 PM »

How a 3DS resurrection really feels.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/31422

This episode features the return of our favorite guest, Michael "TYP" Cole, the perfect substitute on a Mario/Wario-heavy episode. (Jon had a family emergency -- we hope all is well and that he'll be be back soon!) New Business brings the excitement of major new product launches from Nintendo, as both Guillaume and Jonny picked up the 3DS XL and New Super Mario Bros 2. Gui also provides his recommendation for Retro/Grade, the odd rhythm-shmup on PSN. Jonny explains the very happy conclusion of his lost 3DS saga, and also tries to redeem Dust: An Elysian Tale from last week's slam. James uses his Layton-esque skills to track down a copy of Sega's Rhythm Thief, which he loves, causing us to wonder if the eShop can give a second life to such retail-limited games. Finally, a very patient TYP caps off the segment with his own, extremely positive thoughts on Mole Mania, plus a more measured look at Rayman Origins from last fall.

Next up is the long-awaited RetroActive #23 for Wario Land 4. One of the best things about this serial feature is that we all get to play and discuss the same game, together. This time, it happens to be a weird, flawed, and ultimately very interesting 2D platformer that divided both the RFN crew and our listeners who've been playing along at home. It's exactly the kind of game we love for digging deep on these segments, and we hope to get back to RetroActive quite soon for another game to challenge our expectations. Special thanks to TYP for bringing his franchise expertise, as well as all the listeners who participated by leaving their comments in the forum thread -- which will remain open for any latecomers who want to continue the discussion.

We'll return next with Listener Mail and, hopefully, Jon Lindemann. There's a great backlog of questions and comments, and you can add to it with your own correspondence. PEACE!

Offline lifetimeofnot

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 303: Livin' Extra Large
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 06:19:35 PM »
Love the the hold steady reference!

Offline Nbz

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 07:07:18 PM »
Excited to hear the Wario Land 4 discussion! It's the first time I have actually managed to beat a game for retroactive before the game gets discussed, so I guess it's a good job it got delayed xD

Offline Glad0s

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 08:35:19 PM »
Damn! I thought I would be the first one to bring up The Hold Steady reference...
"Isn't Karl like Mexican or something"

Offline Norex

• View Profile
    • NintendoWorldReport
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 08:53:47 PM »
Thanks for the ITB plug guys! Couldn't have said it any better! And yea, that clip of Freaky Forms caused After Effects to crash... multiple times.

Offline Norex

• View Profile
    • NintendoWorldReport
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 09:09:53 PM »
Also, great show! No one mentioned the XL's lower speaker volume though... my only gripe.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 11:26:15 PM »
I'm happy that Jonny got a great ending. Did you rebuy all the old games, or decide some games aren't worth the money and rethought the purchase?

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 12:13:48 AM »
Wow, two others in before me commenting on the Hold Steady reference?

I love this community!

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 03:26:48 PM »

Offline Glad0s

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
"Isn't Karl like Mexican or something"

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 12:09:33 PM »
What did y'all think about paraphrasing the forum comments? It was easier for me this way. Did it sound more natural to you? If I read your comment, were you upset that it wasn't directly quoted?
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline syn4aptik

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 03:53:38 PM »
What did y'all think about paraphrasing the forum comments? It was easier for me this way. Did it sound more natural to you? If I read your comment, were you upset that it wasn't directly quoted?

My comments came across fine. I do think one has to be careful when paraphrasing, but it does make the conversation sound more natural.
Dave Mellert
Contributing Editor

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 04:17:57 PM »
I thought it was easier to listen to. Paraphrasing helps keep the conversation moving. I like it much more than just reading off forum posts.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»