Author Topic: LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean Revealed for Spring 2011 Release  (Read 5379 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean Revealed for Spring 2011 Release
« on: November 18, 2010, 02:18:05 PM »

The latest LEGO game will showcase all four Pirates of the Caribbean movies, including the forthcoming sequel.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24469

Pirates of the Caribbean is getting the LEGO treatment next May, courtesy of Disney Interactive Studios, TT Games, The LEGO Group.

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game is set to come out on Wii and DS alongside the upcoming fourth film in the franchise, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. It will feature more than 20 levels that will take players through all four Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

In addition, two players will be able to play cooperatively, choosing from the robust roster of more than 70 characters.

There will also be LEGO-branded Pirates of the Caribbean construction sets coming out at the same time as the game and the movie.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean Revealed for Spring 2011 Release
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 02:51:37 PM »
It really makes me sad to see LEGO further dilute itself with movie tie-ins. I remember when LEGO stood for fun, creative, imaginative output with physical objects. Now it just rehashes already cliche films. :(
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 03:58:47 PM »
It really makes me sad to see LEGO further dilute itself with movie tie-ins. I remember when LEGO stood for fun, creative, imaginative output with physical objects. Now it just rehashes already cliche films. :(

Absolutely. I have fond memories of Lego Racers and Lego Island from back in the day. In fact, I did enjoy Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga, but it was clearly beginning to get stale even within that game. Since then, Traveller's Tales has run it into the ground, essentially re-releasing it with several re-skins. I figure that eventually, as with the equally overpopulated rhythm genre, people will grow bored and these Lego film games will drop out of the regular schedule.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 06:02:01 PM »
I figure that eventually, as with the equally overpopulated rhythm genre, people will grow bored and these Lego film games will drop out of the regular schedule.
Is the rhythm game really overpopulated though? If you're just looking at them as videogames as I used to do then sure, I could see how that conclusion is reached. But as music games, there aren't too many at all. Each game has different set lists of music that appeals to different people with different tastes, they aren't really "sequels" to one another as they are different albums. I doubt anyone buys every single game, they buy the ones with the music they want to hear and play. Is the pop music genre overpopulated because there are so many singers and groups out there?

Perhaps these Lego games are the same way. If you look at them all as a series of sequels, sure, there are too many. But if you see each one as a part of its licence, they each appeal to a different fanbase, one of the featured movie(s) and not necessarily the Lego branding.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 06:23:26 PM »
The LEGO games appeal to kids, selling very well (LEGO HP was in the top 10 NPD for two months, I think) and it's also a good way to get a competent game based off of a popular franchise.

I mean, look at the LEGO Harry Potter game. It got pretty good reviews, sold very well, and was, on all accounts, a good game. It didn't rewrite the franchise, but it was another solid entry in the LEGO Based On A License franchise.
Meanwhile, look at the Harry Potter 7 movie game. It's apparently a steaming pile of crap.

So, in conclusion, these games might not be for us, but it's a fantastic way for fans of these franchises to get a good game based on something they adore.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 06:27:16 PM »
The LEGO games appeal to kids, selling very well (LEGO HP was in the top 10 NPD for two months, I think) and it's also a good way to get a competent game based off of a popular franchise.

I mean, look at the LEGO Harry Potter game. It got pretty good reviews, sold very well, and was, on all accounts, a good game. It didn't rewrite the franchise, but it was another solid entry in the LEGO Based On A License franchise.
Meanwhile, look at the Harry Potter 7 movie game. It's apparently a steaming pile of crap.

So, in conclusion, these games might not be for us, but it's a fantastic way for fans of these franchises to get a good game based on something they adore.

Not to mention these games help the bottom line so they can make more Lego sets. It seems like a win-win to me. The problem isn't the Lego license, it is that the formula in these games need to be shaken up.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 07:53:46 PM »
They were shaken up a little with Lego HP. It added more of an exploratory element to it.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 08:36:44 PM »
Not to mention these games help the bottom line so they can make more Lego sets. It seems like a win-win to me.

Except all of those physical sets are lame movie tie-ins nowadays as well! :(

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 04:53:25 AM »
I'll be honest with ya'll... I love the Pirates of the Caribbean series, and I am actually excited for this title. Is the Lego franchise being milked so dry that the milk that comes out is powder milk? Hell yes. But finally, the Lego series tackles a franchise I love to death I I will be there day one for this title.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 07:53:12 AM »
Hey, I don't mind the movie tie-ins continuing, either.  I have a kid that will probably be playing games with me very soon, and I'm sure he'll love it.  My wife and I actually frequently play LEGO versions Star Wars and Indiana Jones when we play together.  We have yet to try Harry Potter.

Honestly, Pirates of the Carribean seems as if it would fit well in the LEGO game universe.

I'm still waiting for LEGO LOTR to tie in with the (eventual?) release of The Hobbit.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 11:40:53 AM »
One thing to keep in mind about this licensing is that Lego was struggling a few years back, in order to stay afloat they about have to find other revenue streams which include licensing deals. At one point during the late 90s, early 2000s they were a sinking ship, and there was even fear of them going bankrupt which would be a tragedy. If letting their license be used for video games can keep them a float to create physical lego toys I am all for it. Besides the games help advertise the toys, and vice versa.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 11:43:36 AM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
I think that LEGO has largely lost their way however. Their sets aren't what they used to be. There's little imagination in the themes, and too many specialty parts that server no other purpose than to build specific sets. I have tubs and tubs full of LEGOs sitting under my bed. I haven't touched them in about a decade, but they're there. Kids nowadays probably wouldn't know what to do with most of the mundane pieces that I used to create vast cities out of. That saddens me. They're being pigeonholed due to these movie licenses, both in the lack of practical physical pieces, but also in the way that the story has already been laid out for their creations.