Author Topic: The OFFICIAL E3 2015 Predictions Thread: Reel in those expectations!  (Read 29207 times)

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL E3 2015 Predictions Thread: Reel in those expectations!
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2015, 08:24:42 AM »
A remake of a Metroid game?

Super Metroid on the 3DS?
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2015, 01:42:11 PM »
The problem with Metroid is, since it's a series that's a lot more popular in the west, despite the efforts of Other M to raise its profile in Japan, I'd think if hey we're going to make a new one they'd probably want to do it on a console, and if they were doing that I think they might want to hold off for the next one.

It doesn't really matter for Metroid since it's aimed at the more hardcore Nintendo fans who either already own a Wii U for Smash Bros, or would buy one for Metroid anyway.  Unless they completely revamp the franchise, it's never going to have mass appeal so it doesn't gain much being saved for a new console plus releasing a traditional Metroid of some kind would be a smart decision to help please all the core Nintendo fans who've been buying and own a Wii U. 

After Other M I personally wouldn't take a risk at buying a new console for a new Metroid because for all I know the next game will be just as bad.  So I guess in that sense I agree that saving it for the NX isn't the right move.  But I don't think the Wii U fits either because it hasn't sold well enough.  The 3DS is probably the safer choice.  Also they could get away with something a little less ambitious on the 3DS to ease back into the series.  An HD game carries higher expectations.  Also there is a higher cost.  A Metroid on the Wii U will cost more money to make and Nintendo may want to take such a risk with a series that isn't popular in Japan on a console that hasn't sold well.

Whatever they do though at this point Metroid is damaged goods and should not be considered a potential system seller.  Not unless the series bounces back first.

Not that I expect to see Metroid at E3 though.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2015, 02:04:39 PM »
I think a Metroid game, provided it's well-received, could sell some people Wii Us. Not on its own, but as another thing to pile on top of Smash Bros., Mario, and all the other big Nintendo games already there. There's an audience of dedicated gamers who could be talked into buying a Wii U if the lineup gets good enough, and Metroid really resonates with that audience.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2015, 02:27:17 PM »
After Other M I personally wouldn't take a risk at buying a new console for a new Metroid because for all I know the next game will be just as bad.  So I guess in that sense I agree that saving it for the NX isn't the right move.  But I don't think the Wii U fits either because it hasn't sold well enough.  The 3DS is probably the safer choice.  Also they could get away with something a little less ambitious on the 3DS to ease back into the series.  An HD game carries higher expectations.  Also there is a higher cost.  A Metroid on the Wii U will cost more money to make and Nintendo may want to take such a risk with a series that isn't popular in Japan on a console that hasn't sold well.

Whatever they do though at this point Metroid is damaged goods and should not be considered a potential system seller.  Not unless the series bounces back first.

All Other M did was destroy the potential for another 3rd person story driven Metroid like it, not the whole franchise.  2D and first person Prime style Metriod are still loved by the fanbase and would both be a major reveal if Nintendo announced them.

People have to remember we're getting a new Star Fox on the Wii U for fucks sake.  Metroid was the more popular franchise after its revival with Prime and continued that way.  Even Other M which is considered the low point of the franchise still sold better and received higher reviews then Command which was the low point of the Star Fox franchise.

If Nintendo thinks it's worth it to give the Wii U a new Star Fox, then Metroid has just as good a chance of getting a new game as well.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2015, 02:29:48 PM »
I think a Metroid game, provided it's well-received, could sell some people Wii Us. Not on its own, but as another thing to pile on top of Smash Bros., Mario, and all the other big Nintendo games already there. There's an audience of dedicated gamers who could be talked into buying a Wii U if the lineup gets good enough, and Metroid really resonates with that audience.

I think it needs to be very well received.  Like every reviewer proclaiming that "Metroid is back!" and 90%+ average review scores.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2015, 02:43:01 PM »
From Metacritic:

Metroid Prime- 97%
Metroid Prime 2- 92%
Metroid Prime 3- 90%
Metroid Zero Mission- 89%
Metroid Fusion- 92%

Metroid Other M- 79%

An average of 90% wouldn't be that hard to get. They just have to avoid fucking up.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 05:03:33 PM »
If Other M wasn't made by the series' original creator I would be less concerned.  Nintendo has to essential tell the guy "hey I know you're a big part of the reason this series is successful in the first place but you've gone crazy so we're taking your baby away from you".  Will they do that?  That's why I feel the series is at stake.  This isn't a misstep from a new team, this is the "proper" people you would expect to do it right.  Sakamoto thinks Samus is like a helpless housewife out of a 1950's TV commercial.  Hard for the series to continue at the level it was if that depiction remains and why wouldn't it if Sakamoto is still involved?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2015, 05:09:01 PM »
From Metacritic:

Metroid Prime- 97%
Metroid Prime 2- 92%
Metroid Prime 3- 90%
Metroid Zero Mission- 89%
Metroid Fusion- 92%

Metroid Other M- 79%

An average of 90% wouldn't be that hard to get. They just have to avoid fucking up.

89% for Zero Mission? Video game critics are terrible.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 06:08:24 PM »
I liked Other M.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2015, 06:11:29 PM »
If Other M wasn't made by the series' original creator I would be less concerned.  Nintendo has to essential tell the guy "hey I know you're a big part of the reason this series is successful in the first place but you've gone crazy so we're taking your baby away from you".  Will they do that?  That's why I feel the series is at stake.  This isn't a misstep from a new team, this is the "proper" people you would expect to do it right.  Sakamoto thinks Samus is like a helpless housewife out of a 1950's TV commercial.  Hard for the series to continue at the level it was if that depiction remains and why wouldn't it if Sakamoto is still involved?

And none of this has anything to do with a new Retro made Metroid which is what is likely to happen.  Especially since Kensuke Tanabe is the guy who's in charge of the Retro made Metroid games and all of his games involve Samus as nothing more then a silent avatar to the player anyway. 

Of course even if Sakamoto was involved, once again Other M was just one game.  By this logic, Koizumi shouldn't have been allowed to make Mario Galaxy after Sunshine since there were some people who thought Mario Sunshine was a terrible franchise killing game at the time as well.  I guess Galaxy was a total continuation of what Sunshine started since both games were made by the same guy right. :rolleyes:
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2015, 06:29:04 PM »
I liked Other M.
I know, right? It wasn't perfect, but generally, the third person gameplay parts were solid. It isn't even my least favorite Metroid game. I missed the boat on the original due to being two years old when it was released, and I just don't enjoy it.

Anyway, in a vain attempt to address the actual point of this thread, here are my predicitions

1. No Retro Studios game. I'm guessing Nintendo never intended for the team to work on another Wii U game. Retro Studios is working on an NX launch title and we won't hear about it until E3 2016.

2. Mario Maker will be Nintendo major E3 title, and sadly, it will be Nintendo's major holiday title due to the lack of any real options.

3. Super Mario 3D World 2 will be shown for release next year. It's essentially just new stages featuring the original's engine.

4. Star Fox Wii U will be a $40 game.

5. Super Smash Bros. DLC: Wolf and Fire Emblem Roy announced, Ryu gets a newcomer trailer, and there will be retro stage packs.

6. A very late port of Resident Evil Revelaitons 2 will be announced for Wii U. No one will care.

7. Denis Dyack will say that Shadow of the Eternals is still being developed. Everyone will laugh.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2015, 07:46:16 PM »
Games will be shown.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2015, 08:16:55 PM »
Sega will have a better presence than last year.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2015, 12:11:40 AM »
Yeah, I can't imagine Retro is working on a title for Wii U, but that drives home why I was initially and still am disappointed with Tropical Freeze- knowing that will probably be Retro's only Wii U title is upsetting.

Anywho. Metroid ain't happening, at least, not on Wii U. The best hope we have is a 3DS title, as it's the most viable audience. I think Nintendo's lack of any information regarding E3 this year is a telling sign that we should expect as little new information from them as possible. It's unfotunate that they blew their load last year.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2015, 01:45:50 PM »
3. Super Mario 3D World 2 will be shown for release next year. It's essentially just new stages featuring the original's engine.

Don't know if we'll see it but while I'm not usually a big fan of cookie-cutter sequels that's not a bad idea for Nintendo to do.  With the Wii U it's really just a matter now of treading water until the NX comes out.  Nothing is going to save it and there isn't the time to do something really fancy so cookie-cutter sequels to existing Wii U games would be easy and quick to make and at least keeps things going.  New Wii U games at this point are really just for existing Wii U users anyway so they can be a little more derivative.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2015, 03:22:50 PM »
Based on comments by (I think) Miyamoto a few months ago, this seems to be the direction Nintendo is going. Wii U needs games, the quicker the turn around the better. I don't mind a cookie-cutter release as long as it isn't treated a more than that. As a $40 gap title in February or March while the team works of a true sequel, sure.
Games will be shown.
Plot twist: no games will be shown.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2015, 10:12:42 PM »
You guys are way off.  Nintendo is behind the times.  So, what will they show?  Get ready for E3 2013 flash backs as they show off a slew of TV and movie spin-offs starting with Mario Kart: The Movie starring Vin Diesel as Donkey Kong.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2015, 12:09:15 AM »
You guys are way off.  Nintendo is behind the times.  So, what will they show?  Get ready for E3 2013 flash backs as they show off a slew of TV and movie spin-offs starting with Mario Kart: The Movie starring Vin Diesel as Donkey Kong.

I would watch that movie. 

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2015, 12:14:14 AM »
This is finally the year we get an Ice Climbers reboot.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2015, 01:18:55 AM »
Here's a prediction: HD remakes.

Here's a prediction: AAA publishers will produce less than half the titles they published at this time last generation.

Here's a prediction: Geoff Keighley and Reggie will have a sparring interview.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2015, 05:50:53 PM »
At least 2 new games built on existing engines.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2015, 01:45:30 AM »
My turn...More Mario Kart DLC:  New character:  Squidling racer.  New Splatoon track and weapon.  Paint gun, acts like the squid ink when it hits a character, but can also make an paint splat that can make characters slip.  It can be shot backwards and forwards. 

The DLC will include 2 classic tracks, Squidling character and 2 new splatoon tracks. 

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2015, 10:57:05 AM »
From Nintendo's financials...

My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2015, 02:24:54 PM »
Nintendo will release Mario Maker :cool;
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2015, 08:00:04 PM »
Here's something no one has predicted yet: A new Mario and Sonic Olympics game. With the summer Olympics next year, it would be keeping with the release schedule of past games to release it this holiday, so it could be announced at E3.

I guess no one predicted it because no one wants it...