Author Topic: HOLY CRAP THEY UPDATED NETFLIX  (Read 1560 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
HOLY CRAP THEY UPDATED NETFLIX
« on: August 28, 2015, 08:39:53 PM »
Profiles
Interface more like the web version
Resume
Auto next episode

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: HOLY CRAP THEY UPDATED NETFLIX
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 09:24:49 PM »
Party like it's the PS3 version of Netflix!
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 09:32:42 PM »
no on screen only play anymore, not that that was terribly useful. search is weird. instead of the standard wii u keyboard there is a weird little thing.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 01:12:42 AM »
Woohoo!

Finally, my Wii U can be a decent living room replacement for the Wii.  Until now, my kids couldn't watch Netflix conveniently without the profiles and other features this update provided.

I'm super excited to see this happen - had essentially given up hope.   ;D
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 02:40:13 AM »
It's sad and weird that this is even a thing.

This is another missed opportunity with the GamePad. If you could watch Netflix on TV while someone else plays games on the GamePad and vice versa, Nintendo would be onto something. Without that, just make it like the other versions.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 08:44:47 PM »
It's sad and weird that this is even a thing.This is another missed opportunity with the GamePad. If you could watch Netflix on TV while someone else plays games on the GamePad and vice versa, Nintendo would be onto something. Without that, just make it like the other versions.

While I agree that would be awesome, it's probably not a fair set of expectations and no other Wii U apps work this way at all. There are many other great ways the GamePad could be used to enhance the Netflix experience though, so it's a shame they went with a straight mirror and no options on the second screen.

That said, I'm still incredibly glad they added profiles and mid-episode resume to the app.
The Wii U version of Netflix used to be the worst version by far - now it's roughly on par. Even though I think they've done a mediocre job considering the potential on Wii U, this is still a huge step forward.

I'd read some random comments about the new Netflix app now causing hard locks and/or machine shut downs on Wii U.  Then it happened to us once today with some pretty heavy play during the morning/mid-afternoon... Anyone else experience any problems?
NNID: ejamer

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 11:24:29 PM »
Netflix on TV and game on gamepad or visa-versa would require the game and Netflix to be written to support such a function, or the game would have to come bundled with its own built-in Netflix "app" or something like that.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 02:23:23 AM »
I don't see why it would.  My laptop can support two different programs outputting onto two different screens without each individual program being written to support it.  It's something that could, in theory, be done at the OS level.  I don't know if the Wii U is powerful enough to support it - and if it did, I'd assume it'd mostly be virtual console games, memory-wise... but it *could* be done.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.