Author Topic: iPhone/iPod Touch game thread?  (Read 42124 times)

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
Re: iPhone/iPod Touch game thread?
« Reply #150 on: January 06, 2011, 05:09:26 PM »
Yes, I have it for PC. I have never had trouble aiming my shots on iPod, but my play style is generally very laissez-faire, so maybe I haven't been trying to aim it quite as precisely as you.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 06, 2011, 08:14:40 PM »
Haha fair enough.  I'm currently in a competition with my brother to see who can complete every level first....and I'm losing...so I tend to get really frustrated every time something goes wrong.  Maybe it's just easier to blame the controls.  In any case, Peggle is fun and works on the iPod :P

I've gone on a bit of an app spree in the past few weeks to I'll post some impressions of my favorite games later on.  Overall...well, I don't think my ipod will replace my DS any time soon.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2011, 11:38:06 PM »
I have been trying to decide between getting a 3DS and an ipad this year.  I have been leaning more and more towards the ipad or even an ipad touch. 

I really do not think touch controls could ever replace buttons and control sticks for being intuitive...but what is really frustrating me is the price of games.  I took a hiatus from games for a year, and I was amazed how much money I saved.  Games are just TOO EXPENSIVE.  Early on after giving up my Wii I told myself I would only get handheld, to save money.  But now, handhelds are becoming more expensive and even the games. 

Downloaded games are the only saving grace, and I hope that the ipad and ipods continue to challenge the market.  I know I will never get as rick of an experience with cheaper games, but all I want is a fun diversion, and spending $40 on a game is too much.  Games need to become cheaper, and thank goodness for WiiWare, Xbox arcade, PS3 Store, App Store for bringing this about...but right now I see Apple as having the best means to keep my interest in games as I get older and realize my money and time are too valuable to spend on gaming. 

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2011, 12:29:50 AM »
I have been trying to decide between getting a 3DS and an ipad this year.  I have been leaning more and more towards the ipad or even an ipad touch. 

I really do not think touch controls could ever replace buttons and control sticks for being intuitive...but what is really frustrating me is the price of games.  I took a hiatus from games for a year, and I was amazed how much money I saved.  Games are just TOO EXPENSIVE.  Early on after giving up my Wii I told myself I would only get handheld, to save money.  But now, handhelds are becoming more expensive and even the games. 

Downloaded games are the only saving grace, and I hope that the ipad and ipods continue to challenge the market.  I know I will never get as rick of an experience with cheaper games, but all I want is a fun diversion, and spending $40 on a game is too much.  Games need to become cheaper, and thank goodness for WiiWare, Xbox arcade, PS3 Store, App Store for bringing this about...but right now I see Apple as having the best means to keep my interest in games as I get older and realize my money and time are too valuable to spend on gaming. 

Did you just talk about something being too expensive and then bring up the Ipad as the alternative?  You know its 500 bucks right?
Thats enough to get a launch 3ds and 6 games while still having enough money to buy a couple cheap 3dsware games.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #154 on: January 20, 2011, 02:18:55 AM »
If you factor in the cost of games, 3DS + many games could easily end up costing more than iPad + many games.

You said it yourself: "Thats enough to get a launch 3ds and 6 games while still having enough money to buy a couple cheap 3dsware games." Do you not think he would end up buying more than 6 3DS games over the life of the system? Plus the iPad is a lot more than a gaming device.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #155 on: January 20, 2011, 02:57:28 AM »
Yes, but I also said Ipod touch...and the Ipad also does more and is more useful than just games. 

Not really a comparison.  I wasn't talking hardware prices, but talking game prices, anyway.  Games are the big problem not hardware.

Just to make myself clear.  I do not have a problem with hardware costs.  I understand the cost of a new console system or handheld...and I also know they are usually very competitively priced and you almost always get what you pay for in value of the system.

However, games seem to be rising and when you look at buying 4 to 6 games a year is 2-3 hundreds of dollars each year...you can see my point.  It is expensive and some games do not have the replay value to support those costs.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:32:09 AM by Spak-Spang »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #156 on: January 20, 2011, 12:13:22 PM »
Anything you do that isn't gaming will take away time from gaming.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #157 on: January 20, 2011, 09:02:17 PM »
Ha, I realize now that I posted a strange out of nowhere post with no explanation...this was my fault because I was typing in between a short break, and had no time to explain.

As many of you may know, I moved to Korea and sold my Wii and gave owning a game system for a year.  Well, now it has been a year and a half and I am trying to figure out how to get back into gaming.  The biggest barrier I have is dealing with cost.  I am willing to spend the one time cost on hardware, because I understand buying a system is expensive and an investment.  But, what I was amazed was how much money I had tied up in games because of the cost. 

When I owned the Wii  I bought about 1 new game every 2-3 months retail.  And perhaps a virtual console game or something every month.  Then during Christmas I got more games...what surprised me because I never thought much about it was I was spending upward of $300-400 a year on games and accessories.  That might not seem like much, but when you stop spending that money and step away it is useful.  For instance, I was able to pay off a fairly high student loan freed income (not just from gaming but of many things.) 

So do I want to give up gaming completely?  No, of course not.  I enjoy games, but it made me realize gaming is a very expensive hobby, and I believe the industry needs to look at this as a serious problem.  Then I came to see the App Store, and through minor ads and cheaper prices the Ipad touch and Ipod where doing some interesting things with games at a very affordable price.

Now, I realize that cheaper will mean smaller games, and less depth...and I realize that the larger budget games may never be available on those systems...but is that really a problem?  Perhaps the enormous budgets of some of these is an issue...and perhaps simpler games are an answer for many gamers, obviously not all. 

For what its worth I would like to see gaming try to move towards a cheaper model, Console games should be at most $40.00 with most regular prices being $30.00 and budget titles should be a norm at $20.00.  Portable gaming should be between $20.00 to $30.00 with budget games at around $15.00. 

Downloaded games, virtual console games, new original titles digitally distributed should be priced at the high-end of $12ish dollars.  I know this seems like me just complaining (and partially it is) but I believe this would be rather good for the industry. 

Developers need to defeat the used game market and the pirating markets and the best way to do that is to make new games affordable and accessible.  I would never risk buying a new IP or new game from an unproven developer because of the expense involved.  It was too risky. 

However, coming back to the my original idea, I would spend up to $5 on a quick ipod or virtual console game...I did it all the time with the Wii.  Now, I look at the ipad and ipod and realize it is not optimal for gaming...and in fact many aspects are horrible for gaming...but the pricing structure that I desire for games is there...and I wonder if Apple becomes even more successful and threatening in the game market (right now it is little to no threat) if the industry will take it as a sign and change.

I hope so...because as of now, I am still trying to make up my mind...and it isn't easy.  I could just not buy anything and wait another year....:^(

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 20, 2011, 11:20:02 PM »
You use ipad and ipod interchangable throughout.  (ipad touch?)  What exactly are you planning to buy?

My experience with my android phone games is that while they may be cheaper I generally barely get much play time out of them.
DS games have always been more expensive but they gave me value (in time) worthy of the price.

You shouldn't think that playing games again will automatically bring you back to your old habit of buying a game every other month.  You will obviously be playing games much less no matter which system you get.   Think about what kinds of games you want to play first.  If you aren't playing much, three ds (probably 3ds games later as well) would easily last you the year if you pick the right ones. If you like dragon quest one game will last you the year.

If you are deterimed to only get cheap dl games I think there is a good chance of almost all the popular/good ipod games basically getting directly ported to the 3ds service or at least having a quick clone made.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:26:33 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 20, 2011, 11:43:47 PM »
Ignoring all the other uses of an iOS device and looking at this from a purely gaming perspective, you'd probably be better off buying a game system and sticking mostly with downloadable titles, mixing in retail games that have been out long enough to have seen big price cuts. You could buy an Xbox 360, for instance, and never pay more than $15 for a game and still have a fantastic lineup to choose from.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2011, 04:23:56 AM »
I blame it on apple's names being similar.  I editted that post 2 or 3 times trying to make sure I used Ipad and Ipod touch properly...but dang, the names are way too similar.  It is silly.

You are right.  When I owned a Wii I only bought Nintendo games, and I love Nintendo games...those are pretty much the only games I have played in recent years.  And honestly, if the 3DS was to come out and games were more in my price range I would be instantly sold.  And...I still might be.  I am waiting...and if Nintendo makes fully compatiable the VC on the 3DS with a means to transfer games, then I would buy a 3DS instantly...but I do not think that will happen. 

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2011, 08:58:11 AM »
Also, they're iPod and iPad, not Ipod and Ipad. Not to be nitpickety, but Ipod just looks bad.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 11:40:30 AM by NWR_Grant »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2011, 11:10:38 AM »
They should have thought about that before violating the capitalization rules of their language.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2011, 11:14:42 AM »
Maybe, but you could say the same about eBay. It took me a long time to get used to both (I refuse to write iPod touch or iPod nano though, I will write iPod Touch and iPod Nano).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2011, 11:40:09 AM »
They should have thought about that before violating the capitalization rules of their language.

What's that line in your user name? That doesn't look like any letter I've ever seen in the English language.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2011, 02:14:05 AM »
Do I look English to you?

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2011, 12:00:38 PM »
I can't see you, but you seem to speak it.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 25, 2011, 02:07:10 PM »
I can't see you, but you seem to speak it.

He's German.  Also, the Space Bar was broken on his keyboard when he signed up for the forums.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #168 on: January 25, 2011, 05:13:47 PM »
Okay, so Apple's shift key was acting funny when they came up with the iMac name :P

Not iPhone/iPod touch gaming related, but Mac related, I found out that they're porting Myst and Riven to Mac OS X for the Mac App Store: http://www.grantbuell.com/post/2926135280/myst-and-riven-coming-to-mac-app-store

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 10, 2011, 10:57:24 PM »

A boat-load of games are on sale for (generally) $0.99 each.  Are any of these worth playing?

Namco

ACE COMBAT Xi Skies of Incursion ($2.99)
AVATWEE ($0.99)
Dig Dug REMIX ($0.99)
Galaga REMIX ($0.99)
House of Glass ($2.99*)
Isaac Newton's Gravity ($0.99)
I Love Katamari ($2.99)
Lost in Time: The Clockwork Tower ($2.99)
Mishap ($1.99)
Mishap for iPad ($1.99)
More Brain Exercise with Dr. Kawashima ($1.99)
More Brain Exercise with Dr. Kawashima HD ($1.99)
Mr. Driller ($0.99)
Ms. PAC-MAN ($1.99)
NOBY NOBY BOY ($0.99)
PAC-ATTACK ($0.99)
PAC-CHAIN for iPad ($0.99)
PAC-CHAIN Compact ($0.99)
PAC-MAN ($1.99)
PAC-MAN for iPad ($1.99)
PAC-MAN REMIX ($0.99)
PAC-MAN Championship Edition ($2.99)
PAC-MANIA ($0.99)
Pole Position: Remix ($0.99)
Puzzle Quest 2 ($4.99)
RIDGE RACER ACCELERATED ($2.99)
SPLATTERHOUSE ($0.99)
Star Trigon ($0.99)
Stroke of Midnight ($3.99*)
Tamagotchi: 'Round the World ($0.99)
Time Crisis Strike ($0.99)
TIME CRISIS 2ND STRIKE HD ($3.99*)

Sega

Altered Beast ($0.99)
ChuChu Rocket! ($0.99)
ChuChu Rocket! HD for iPad ($0.99)
Columns Deluxe ($0.99)
Ecco the Dolphin ($0.99)
Golden Axe ($0.99)
Gunstar Heroes ($0.99)
Phantasy Star II ($0.99)
Shining Force ($0.99)
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master ($0.99)
Sonic the Hedgehog ($2.99)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 ($2.99)
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I ($2.99)
Sonic Spinball ($0.99)
Space Harrier II ($0.99)
Super Monkey Ball ($0.99)
Super Monkey Ball 2 ($0.99)
Super Monkey Ball 2 Sakura Edition for iPad ($0.99)
Streets of Rage ($0.99)
Virtua Fighter 2 ($0.99)

Capcom

Street Fighter IV for 99 cents? The new Devil May Cry iPad game for the same price. Yep!

Capcom Arcade (in-app purchase game machines) ($0.99)
Dead Rising Mobile ($0.99)
Devil May Cry 4 refrain ($0.99)
Ghosts 'n Goblins Gold Knights ($0.99)
Mega Man II ($0.99)
Phoenix Wright ($0.99)
Resident Evil 4 ($0.99)
Resident Evil 4 iPad edition ($0.99)
Street Fighter IV ($0.99)
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire 2011 ($0.99)

EA

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ($0.99)
FIFA 11 ($0.99)
FIFA 10 ($0.99)
The Game of Life Classic Edition ($0.99)
Madden NFL 11 ($0.99)
Mirror's Edge ($0.99)
Monopoly ($0.99)
Monopoly Here & Now: The World Edition ($0.99)
NBA Elite 11 ($0.99)
NCAA Football ($0.99)
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit ($0.99)
Need For Speed Undercover ($0.99)
Need For Speed Shift ($0.99)
Pictureka! ($0.99)
Pictureka! for iPad ($0.99)
Reckless Racing HD ($0.99)
Risk: The Official Game ($0.99)
Scrabble ($0.99)
SimCity Deluxe ($0.99)
The Sims 3 ($0.99)
The Sims 3 World Adventures ($0.99)
The Sims 3 Ambitions ($0.99)
The Simpsons Arcade ($0.99)
Snood for iPad ($0.99)
Tetris ($0.99)
Yahtzee HD ($0.99)

Gameloft

Brothers In Arms 2: Global Front ($0.99)
Driver ($0.99)
Fishing Kings ($0.99)
Hero of Sparta II ($0.99)
Let's Golf! 2 ($0.99)
Rayman 2: The Great Escape ($0.99)
Real Golf 2011 ($0.99)
Star Battalion ($0.99)
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within ($0.99)
Shadow Guardian ($0.99)
Shrek Kart ($0.99)
Spider-Man: Total Mayhem ($0.99)
Zombie Infection ($0.99)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #170 on: February 11, 2011, 08:53:22 AM »
Phoenix Wright is an absolute steal at $0.99. Scrabble is really good if you like Scrabble, the Facebook integration is brilliant. I haven't played Puzzle Quest 2 but I hear great things, I might pick that up. But in general, console-to-iOS ports don't interest me too much.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 11, 2011, 11:25:19 AM »
I own Phoenix Wright on DS and no desire to play it again any time soon.

I have the demo for Puzzle Quest 2 and it plays like **** on my second gen iPod touch--buggy as all Hell.  :(  Shame, really, because I like the game.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 11, 2011, 11:35:31 AM »
Apple is serious about gaming, and Engadget reports that gaming through AppleTV, possibly streaming like the OnLive service, is hinted at in iOS 4.3 beta code. From the examples they use, I would say more than hinted at, but they have journalistic integrity to worry about.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2011, 02:22:47 PM »
iPad people, this game looks amazing and is getting really good reviews: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/superbrothers-sword-sworcery/id424912055?mt=8

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 25, 2011, 10:06:14 PM »
iPad people, this game looks amazing and is getting really good reviews: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/superbrothers-sword-sworcery/id424912055?mt=8

I think this game looks really great but one thing really turns me off: they designed all the speaking to be tweeted.  All the dialogue I've seen in screenshots is laughable, probably because of this, and the whole "tweet the game" seems like such an obvious marketing ploy to get friends to buy the game who get your tweets.  Unfortunately there is no Android version for me though.