Author Topic: iPhone/iPod Touch game thread?  (Read 42364 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone/iPod Touch game thread?
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2010, 09:37:02 PM »
It's not a game, but I've got a few Cydia tweaks for those of you with jailbroken iOS devices to make browsing these forums easier.

1. UAFaker

Setting this up to make my iPhone's Safari browser appear to sites as Google Chrome seems to have inadvertently fixed my issue with the full post editor, which made it impossible to send PMs, among other things, without going into the mobile version of the site.

2. Inspell

This custom spellchecker allows you to set your own macros to convert shortened text snippets into longer phrases, and I just now figured out that I could use it to make typing in BBcode a hell of a lot easier (typing that sentence also reminded me that you can use it to turn off the swear word filtering built into the OS). Making text bold or italic was a huge pain until I set it up to make xix and xeix open and close italic tags and xbx and xebx do the same for bold tags.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2010, 01:50:41 PM »
Plants vs. Zombies is available for $0.99 through Halloween.  I finally get to see what all the hub-bub is about.

EDIT:  Yeah, so it's pretty much as great as everyone said it was.  Well worth the regular $2.99 asking price and a steal at $0.99.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 04:53:35 PM by vudu »
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2010, 06:46:54 PM »
Texting of the Bread is essentially a remake of the Dreamcast cult classic Typing of the Dead, and is pretty cool.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2010, 02:16:23 AM »
ChuChu Rocket! makes the Dreamcast fanboy in me very, very happy.

J.P. Corbran

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2010, 11:39:20 PM »
Lego Harry Potter looks great, plays well, and is a fun bit of fan service. I am playing it on the iPad, and the game is a universal app.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2010, 11:48:30 PM »
Pix'n Love Rush is the Donkey Kong Country Returns of the iPhone: a great old school platformer that succeeds despite subpar controls. I'd kill for a DSiWare release.

J.P. Corbran

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2010, 11:52:47 PM »
Pix'n Love Rush is the Donkey Kong Country Returns of the iPhone: a great old school platformer that succeeds despite subpar controls. I'd kill for a DSiWare release.

It certainly doesn't rival DKCR in terms of scope, or even quality I would say, but I enjoy the aesthetic. Really, I think the controls are more of an issue with Pix'n Love Rush than DKCR.
Bless you, my child.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2010, 12:09:17 AM »

It certainly doesn't rival DKCR in terms of scope, or even quality I would say, but I enjoy the aesthetic. Really, I think the controls are more of an issue with Pix'n Love Rush than DKCR.

I agree with all your points, but it seemed like a good parallel between a game I've been playing on the iPhone and a game I hope to be playing very soon on the Wii.

J.P. Corbran

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2010, 12:14:32 AM »

I agree with all your points, but it seemed like a good parallel between a game I've been playing on the iPhone and a game I hope to be playing very soon on the Wii.

It is a great nostalgia trip, and it is always fun when a game that doesn't have any history can pull that feeling off.

In this way, I think Pix'n Love Rush tickles the same neurons that Super Meat Boy does, minus the meat train.
Bless you, my child.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2010, 03:58:26 PM »
I'm mostly playing Gun Bros ATM but it really murders my battery. The game is quite fun, the enemy selection and stuff works out very well, it's just uncomfortably heavy on horse-armor-level DLC. About a third of the guns in the game is only available for real money and most of the armor and refinement chambers (income boosters) are DLC-only. Yet the levels are free so far and the gun selection is still pretty varied (takes a LONG time to grind up to them though, fortunately the game is fun).

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2010, 06:19:31 PM »
Not gaming related, but is there an app that adds balance controls to an iPhone/iPod touch?  My dad's hard of hearing in one ear and he wants to be able to set different volume levels for each ear and there don't seem to be any earbuds with dual volume control.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2010, 09:09:25 PM »
Galaxy on Fire is free right now, go for it. It's a 3D space shooter/trading game, pretty cool.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline chab

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2010, 07:29:43 AM »
:):)Thanks for starting the discussion.I like playing sim city.:)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2010, 03:37:30 AM »
Buck and the Coin of Destiny is really fun. Think Canabalt, but with coin collecting. The lack of checkpoints may turn some people off, though.

J.P. Corbran

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2010, 02:51:20 AM »
Infinity Blade is fun, it's Punch-Out for hardcore gamers, i.e. much easier and with an RPG system so everybody will eventually beat it.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2010, 10:19:17 AM »
I am having an absolute ball with Infinity Blade, Puzzle Quest 2, and especially World of Goo on my iPad.
Bless you, my child.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2010, 09:06:05 PM »
I wanted to buy Puzzle Quest 2, but I couldn't justify the price or making the space for it when I've got it for DS.

J.P. Corbran

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2010, 09:46:20 PM »
I wanted to buy Puzzle Quest 2, but I couldn't justify the price or making the space for it when I've got it for DS.

I endured the very difficult wait, knowing it would arrive on the iPad eventually.
Bless you, my child.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2010, 09:50:58 PM »
I wanted to wait, I just wasn't strong enough to do it. I caved and bought it for the DS less than two days after vowing to wait for the iPhone version.

J.P. Corbran

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2010, 06:52:28 AM »
I wanted to wait, I just wasn't strong enough to do it. I caved and bought it for the DS less than two days after vowing to wait for the iPhone version.

And THAT is what separates the boys from the men, my friend. :P
Bless you, my child.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2010, 05:41:49 PM »
Which of the EA games are worth playing?  I don't feel like wasting 99 cents on something that's not worth my time.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2010, 05:52:27 PM »
Which of the EA games are worth playing?  I don't feel like wasting 99 cents on something that's not worth my time.

Mirror's Edge and Scrabble are both worth the dollar. I did purchase Madden, and Sim City, but I am not enjoying either of those as much.
Bless you, my child.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2010, 07:10:19 PM »
I would probably get Scrabble. I like Monopoly, but the reviews on iTunes say that EA screwed it up.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
Madden is not so great and REALLY buggy to boot (I can't play anything but franchise mode...)...but Fifa 11 is actually pretty fun.  Not sure if it's one of the 99 cent games but if it is and you like Fifa check it out.  The controls takes some getting used to and it's obviously not as deep as the console versions but it's still not bad.  While it's not nearly as buggy as Madden, I have had a few crashes in Fifa as well...bah.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2010, 08:59:55 PM »
Looks like the biggest iOS game ever was just released and not one you want to download over 3G. Riven: The Sequel to Mist from Cyan Worlds requires 2 GB to install download and the final size (you get some space back) is just over 1GB. This is the first iOS game to crack the 1GB mark and even the games developer Cyan Worlds recommends downloading the game on your PC/Mac and then syncing it to your handheld.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20