Author Topic: Streets of Rage fan remake  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Streets of Rage fan remake
« on: April 05, 2011, 01:41:55 PM »
Here's a little something that I ran into that I thought some people would be interested in. It seems like, unknown to me, a group of people have been developing a fan remake for Streets of Rage 1-3 for the past 8 years, all from scratch. Its an amazing accomplishment and I'm glad to see its reached completion. I'm currently downloading the game right now but here's a link with all the info about the game and whats been added to it. Let me just say this, they've done A LOT with this game, its rediculous how much they've added to the original games. Here's the link

http://www.bombergames.net/sorr_project/

and hers a link to a promo pic
http://bombergames.net/promotional.JPG

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: Streets of Rage fan remake
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 01:52:14 PM »
There was an open-source remake/homage a few years back. It was called "Beats of Rage" and made quite the splash in the Dreamcast homebrew scene. We need more quality beat 'em ups!
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Streets of Rage fan remake
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 04:50:23 PM »
Thinking about it, beat 'em ups are an ideal genre for cheap downloadable games.  I love beat 'em ups but they are very one-dimensional.  But I don't really mind that.  I like just joining up with my brothers (co-op is MANDATORY) and beating the **** out of videogame characters for a fun half-hour or so.  They work best as short games with lots of replay value.  Modern attempts to pad the length of these games just doesn't work.  They're like a punk rock song - tons of energy and over before you know what happened.

It isn't the type of game that you can really expect the market to pay $50 for.  But a couple of bucks for a downloadable title is totally reasonable.  And they wouldn't need a high dev cost either.  Fans would probably prefer something more low-tech with sprites.  The most ambitious beat 'em ups were titles like the Capcom's Dungeons & Dragons games.  Well how much these days would such a game cost to make?  The development cost would probably be low and the games themselves would be very one-dimensional.  This is the perfect $2-5 game.