Author Topic: STOP GIVING GAMESTOP YOUR MONEY! (GameStop Vs Amazon)  (Read 21685 times)

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: STOP GIVING GAMESTOP YOUR MONEY! (GameStop Vs Amazon)
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 08:34:52 AM »
I would never trade in games at GameStop. Such a massive rip off compared to reselling the game yourself via Amazon.com Marketplace or just selling it to Amazon.com.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 10:16:04 AM »
You get more that way, but it's also significantly more effort and a lot less immediate. There are things GameStop does that I don't like, and I'd certainly love to get more for trade-ins, but I'd still rather go to GameStop when I'm trading things in (which I don't do often) than go that way.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 05:12:05 PM »
You might as well just give your games to Goodwill if you are going to be basically just giving them away for peanuts to Gamestop. Either way you aren't going to get what they're worth, but at least by donating them to Goodwill (or whatever other charity that would take them) you can actually feel good about it. If I'm only going to get $5 for a game that's worth $50 then I'd rather just give it away so that it helps someone in need.

Not only would I not feel the least bit good about trading in it Gamestop, I would actually feel bad because I would know I had been ripped off and I would feel insulted by the tiny pittance they would give me for something that's worth far more. So you can take stuff to them and feel bad and get **** on, or you can donate it and feel good about it.

ETA: Toys for Tots might be a way to go. I don't know if they accept video games, though.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:16:52 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 07:31:19 PM »
If you've ever taken an economics class you've learned the concept of an opportunity cost. Basically, it means what you're giving up by making a purchase, or in this case a sale. You choose to take an action because what you get for it is worth more to you than what you'd have otherwise done with it.

For me, the opportunity cost of trading a game in at GameStop is the game sitting unplayed in a case. That's not benefiting me at all. I traded in a bunch of DS games last week that'd I'd have never played again due to owning sequels or other, superior versions, and got $85 that I put toward my 3DS preorder. That benefits me quite a bit, and will allow me to buy more games with it than I otherwise would have.

GameStop may not be worth it to you, but, as far as I know, no one is forcing you to go there. You're free to do whatever you like with your old games, so let me do what I please with mine.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 07:37:35 PM »
Just as no one is forcing me to go to Gamestop I'm certainly not forcing you to NOT go there. You can do whatever you want... all I'm saying is that in my personal opinion its better to sell games on amazon or ebay and maybe get 3 times as much out of it.
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 07:42:36 PM »
It may be better, but I like the convience. That's just how I am.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 07:52:43 PM »
That's the thing, you can get more from Amazon or eBay, but it requires a lot more effort and takes a lot longer.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 08:36:27 PM »
If you want to get rid of a bunch of games really easy you can just list them as a bulk lot on ebay and then just sell them all in one sale. You likely won't get as much out of it this way than you would by selling the games individually, but it would be a lot faster and easier and might yield more money than a trade in at gamestop would.

If you do it like that you would only have to make one trip to the post office which couldn't be any more hassle or time consuming than a trip to Gamestop.
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 08:44:51 PM »
Um, bulk selling on ebay is NOT faster than taking a 5 minute drive to a Gamestop and selling them in one swoop. A 5 minute drive, then ten minutes of trading, versus putting the games in bulk sell on ebay, waiting for someone to buy it, sending it to the post office, with the stamps, boxes, etc., then waiting to get your money through paypal? No way, Gamestop it is.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 08:55:11 PM »
FWIW, I just traded a bunch of stuff with Amazon and it was extremely easy and I got a pretty nice return ($90 for a bunch of shitty Storm City review copies).

I searched the games in their trade in site, added them to the "cart", checked out, printed a label, drove to the UPS Store which is next door to Gamestop, funny enough, and sent them away. It took a few days to get the money, but now I can use it for whatever I please at Amazon.

I think Gamestop is a viable alternative if you want to get money right away, but I figured I'd share my experience as it's the first time I've ever traded in games.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 10:52:38 PM »
Amazon usually doesn't require much effort. It takes longer to get your money of course and that is the biggest negative I feel. If you do a lot of shopping on Amazon.com it's really worth it. Even though GameStop is easier and quicker I don't like being ripped off. At least I feel I would be. Them giving someone 5 or if they're lucky 10 dollars for a game and then turn around and price it for $40 or more really bothers me. There prices could be and should be higher.

I will admit I'm bias. Unless I have to or I know for certain they will break a street date on something I really want to get (rare) I rather not shop there. The size of most of the stores (very small) and the uneasy feeling I'm constantly being watched bothers the hell out of me.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:57:23 PM by NeoStar9X »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 11:28:09 PM »
I buy almost all my new games from Amazon, so I'll check that out next time I trade things in. In this case I wanted to apply the trade credit to my 3DS preorder, which was at that store, so I had no choice.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 12:20:59 AM »
I'm surprised most of you don't have a local used media store; one that sells and buys used games, movies, cds.

I'm also surprised most of you haven't tried a pawn shop.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2011, 01:13:22 AM »
Another thing you have to factor in when trading in at Gamestop is they give you a store credit which is only redeemable at Gamestop. The problem with that is they charge higher prices than Amazon, not to mention they have far less merchandise to choose from.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 08:57:46 AM »
I'm surprised most of you don't have a local used media store; one that sells and buys used games, movies, cds.

We used to have an amazing local game store that paid way more than GameStop and still charged less for used games. It also had games from all generations, with big racks full of cartridges and the walls covered with disc cases. Unfortunately, their landlord wouldn't allow them to put up those metal grates over the windows like they have at GameStop, and because of that they got robbed pretty often and that forced them out of business. I really miss that place.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2011, 10:02:44 AM »

Don't have any around my area. The hearest Pawn Shop is around 20 minutes farther than the Gamestop.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2011, 10:28:58 PM »

I do.  The place's trade rates are a few dollars more but they also sell most used games for a few dollars more to make up for it. 

I usually am not in enough of a bind to sell my games to have to get the $$ the same day, so I usually sell online, but I have no animosity towards people who go those routes.  I've gotten some of my best deals from Gamestop ($20 for a new copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2 on PS2  ;D )