Author Topic: Favorite Zelda Game  (Read 9461 times)

Offline Drizzt

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
Favorite Zelda Game
« on: May 07, 2011, 03:39:26 PM »
I made this thread to discuss the Zelda series. What is your favorite game and why? Mine is Ocarina of Time because it just did everything right. great gameplay, music, and story.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Zelda Game
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 05:10:21 PM »
Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda so far, but looking back it seems as if everything in that game had potential that was wasted. The graphics, gameplay and story were all good, but once the game was beaten there was very little incentive to return to the game and replay it again.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 05:51:13 PM »
My favorite is Majora's Mask.  It's the Zelda game that bucked so many Zelda trends, it has by far the best sidequests out of any Zelda game, very good cinematic storytelling, great music, and innovative time and  mask mechanics.  It's the only Zelda game where I find myself caring about the inhabitants of the world.  Its only real weak points are the Water Temple (yes, I know, big surprise) and the final boss.  Plus, I never really liked how goofily that moon was designed.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 05:58:54 PM »
Really? That moon haunts my dreams.

Mines a three-way tie with OOT-MM-WW

The perfect Zelda game would be a mixture of all of them combined.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 06:45:14 PM »
Link to the Past. There's only one game in existence that's better and it rhymes with "Muper Setroid."

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 07:17:05 PM »
Y'all fail.  Bans for each of you.

Best Zelda Video Game Ever is Link's Awakening.  It's not just my opinion, it's hard core scientific fact, proven by science and God himself.  Period.  Anyone who disagrees is a bad person.

With that said, DAMN YOU NINTENDO!  Get with it and release the e-Shop for the 3DS.  I'm itchin' to play this game again, but I know I'll buy it (again and again) for the 3DS, so I've been holding off.  Seriously, get with it, bitches.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 10:36:11 PM »
I don't know if I could pick an overall favourite, many of them are quite different from each other. But I could narrow down the choices. For 3D, it'd be Ocarina of Time. Maybe it's just because it was the first, but I still feel the game has the best balance of gameplay and pacing. I didn't like Majora's Mask because of its poor structure, Wind Waker wasn't meaty enough, and Twilight Princess... well, it was good, and if I played it first, I might prefer it over OoT. So my 3D pick is pretty easy to make.

For 2D though, it's tough. Sure, Link to the Past was really good for all its refinements. It is also really easy. The NES original has its charm for being the most difficult of the bunch, and I seem to be an oddity for liking Zelda II. I just can't decide between the three because they each have their strengths and weaknesses. The Game Boy ones are okay, Link's Awakening is the best of those, but... I don't know. They didn't really click with me. Although I haven't played the GBA one yet, or the DS ones (I'm not sure if those count as 2D or 3D).

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 11:42:45 PM »
Honestly didn't like Link's Awakening because that is the one that had arbitary gating if memory serves with invisible walls.  Though if you really really want to know my actual favorite.  Legend of Zelda.  The original is still the best for me.  I enjoy the others.  Some more than others.  Some I love everything about them but they have 1 killer flaw, I'm looking at you WW.  1 the only reason I finished was from goading on here, TP.  Thought OoT is good if barren feeling.  Haved play MM.  I think the new DS entries are interesting and I like how they settled on a portable Link.  I enjoyed 4 Sword for what it is.  Haven't played most of the portable one, Minish Cap, Oracle something or other I believe.  LttP was a good experience till  I got totally stuck on the last dungeon and never went back.  Zelda 2 is a good game in its own rights.  The Zeldas that shalt not be name I have no real experience with.  TP is probably the one I like the least.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 11:53:44 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 11:48:41 PM »
A lot of it's nostalgia, but nothing comes close to Ocarina of Time for me, and I doubt anything ever could.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 03:48:56 AM »
The original did it best. It took me years of playing before I could beat it as a kid. Now I can beat it in under 90 minutes. It had the least linear gameplay, where you could often do dungeons in different orders. You could skip getting many of the items if you wanted. Surviving is a fun challenge. And it has a second quest. It's pure gameplay. I've probably spent more hours playing this than any other Zelda.

I also liked Zelda II, with its RPG elements and fun/challenging side scrolling action. Plus Majora's Mask with its involved side-quests and time system.

The rest of the Zeldas seem to follow the same formula. And although it's a good formula, these three games are my favorites because they provide something truely unique.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 02:40:30 PM »
I certainly enjoy Ocarina of Time and agree that it's one of the greatest games ever made. However, I would have to say that my favorite Zelda game is Majora's Mask closely followed by Wind Waker. The quirky setting, great soundtrack, and fast pacing of Majora's Mask are certainly what makes it memorable for me.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 04:48:44 PM »
I would love to see a full on HD remake of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask rather than the remake of OoT that we are getting with the 3DS.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 02:42:42 PM »
Mine would probably be Zelda II Adventure of Link.  I loved played that game.  The RPG elements would wonderful and I could jump freely. It's still the only Zelda game where the player decided where to jump.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 03:30:14 PM »
Mine would probably be Zelda II Adventure of Link.  I loved played that game.  The RPG elements would wonderful and I could jump freely. It's still the only Zelda game where the player decided where to jump.

You could jump in Link's Awakening with Roc's Feather.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Piotyr

• Old Newbie
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 05:42:57 PM »
Link to the Past for me.  Sure, the original set the mold and the second was much more innovative, but as my money goes, Link to the Past has the best pacing of any game in existence, let alone the series (Super Metroid is right here too, fwiw).  Challenge scales up really well as the game goes along, and it's one of the few games that really never gets bogged down at any point with any sort of elaborate fetch quest or grindy behavior, and you're never really lost as to what to do next, either.

Sure, maybe that takes away from the blank exploration that only the first two games really achieved, but at the same time it alleviated any frustration stemming from having no idea where to go.  Even if you hadn't played for months, you could start up the game, take a quick glimpse at the map, and know exactly what you were supposed to be doing without reading pages and pages of backstory to get up to speed.
Kevin Buikema
Programmer

Offline Piotyr

• Old Newbie
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 05:52:13 PM »

You could jump in Link's Awakening with Roc's Feather.
Not to mention Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, Minish Cap, and Four Swords.  Granted, those all required items (Roc's Feather, Roc's Cape).
Kevin Buikema
Programmer

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 07:30:40 PM »
I don't know that I could ever choose a favourite, but I put countless hours into The Legend of Zelda, A Link to the Past, and Link's Awakening. However, I was very young then with much more free time on my hands. I have also immensely enjoyed The Wind Waker, The Minish Cap, and Twilight Princess. Four Swords Adventures was also a short but fun romp, although far from my favourite. I have never been able to decide just how much I like the N64 titles. What I do know is that I definitely favour Majora's Mask over Ocarina of Time.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 08:07:52 PM »
Link to the Past.  It is the only game that I can immediately stop everything and play through again and again.  It's pacing is perfect, its story elements never get in the way of the game...and the sense of accomplishment is always great.  Also, it helps there is only one tedious dungeon in the whole game.

Second would be OoT.  However, that game has elements that are quite tedious.  Getting to the next dungeon and playing through it quickly takes too much time, because of some story elements.  Also there are about 2-3 dungeons that although well crafted and fun can also be very annoying. 

My third favorite game would have to be a tie between Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess.  If Twilight Princess had more creative and difficult bosses then it would be higher on my list I think, beating out Majora's Mask, but it doesn't.  Majora's Mask is one of the most creative and unique Zelda experiences, though I think some of its design choices are not my favorite. 

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 08:06:36 AM »
Overall my favorite is Link to the Past, still a fantastic game and my second favorite game of all time. Probably has the most memorable moments of any of the Zelda games (the first time entering the Dark Zone was exhilerating).

My favorite 3D Zelda is Twilight Princess, basically because I felt it pulled together the previous games into an extremely polished Zelda title. Lots to explore, and I enjoyed the darker tone. Second would have to be Wind Waker, a game that will forever hold up graphically because of its jaw dropping art style, which still impresses me today! Not to mention it had one of my favorite moments in Zelda history which was when you finally see Hyrule Castle under the ocean.

Really though all the 3D Zelda's are so close for me in regards to how much I enjoy them.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 09:45:10 AM »
Link to the Past. And I swear, I will 0-clear you one of these days.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 09:59:44 AM »
If Twilight Princess had more creative and difficult bosses then it would be higher on my list I think.

I thought that Twilight Princess had this. Several bosses come to mind, paticularly the Desert Temple and Sky Temple bosses. Goht was a lot of fun in Majora's Mask, though.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »
Link to the Past followed very closely by Wind Waker.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 07:39:57 PM »
No one picked Link's Crossbow Training?

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 07:44:40 PM »
I actually love Link's Crossbow Training.  With the Zapper.  For real.