Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 669254 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Rumors and Speculation Thread (Mighty Switch Force Edition)
« Reply #2525 on: November 15, 2016, 01:07:20 AM »
Question: do you guys consider May a part of Summer? Because you guys keep saying Summer and all I think about is June/July/August and those are mostly barren months for Nintendo. Maybe it's just a difference in location.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2526 on: November 15, 2016, 01:23:51 AM »
I consider March April May to be Spring and June July August to be Summer.

And we have no idea what games are coming out launch year or how far along the games are, and Nintendo is infamous for showing games early to hype a system then the games get delayed. 

I am just assuming that because Nintendo highlighted 4 Nintendo properties that those games could all be ready for year one.

You know what if the Nintendo Franchise Retro Studios got next is Mario Kart, and they are the ones making Mario Kart Switch?  That would get me VERY excited for a new Mario Kart, and it could explain why it would be close to finished...and we know Retro Studios has already contributed to a Mario Kart game.  Hmmm....

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: November 15, 2016, 12:04:11 PM »
Add Eurogamer to the chorus of voices saying Mario Switch will be ready at launch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-15-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-will-miss-nintendo-switch-launch

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: November 15, 2016, 12:11:54 PM »
You know what if the Nintendo Franchise Retro Studios got next is Mario Kart, and they are the ones making Mario Kart Switch?  That would get me VERY excited for a new Mario Kart, and it could explain why it would be close to finished...and we know Retro Studios has already contributed to a Mario Kart game.  Hmmm....

Nintendo already has a dedicated Mario Kart team at EAD that has development of Mario Kart's down to a science to them.  Retro just worked on the assests for the Retro stages in Mario Kart 7 but the main development was still EAD.  If Nintendo wanted Retro to work on a racing game their skills would be better used working on something like F-Zero or a new IP then giving them something one of Nintendo's main EAD studio's already excels at doing.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: November 15, 2016, 12:48:07 PM »
Oooooooooooh What if they cancelled the Wii U version?
So if there is a delay, I'd expect BotW WiiU to be digital only, or one of those Gamestop-preorder only jobs.
You guys are merciless in your attempts to grind my gears.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: November 15, 2016, 03:09:19 PM »
Question: do you guys consider May a part of Summer? Because you guys keep saying Summer and all I think about is June/July/August and those are mostly barren months for Nintendo. Maybe it's just a difference in location.

Nintendo is already moving away from its typical release pattern by launching a home console in March. Whether it's Zelda or something else, they can't let months three, four, and five after their new home console's launch go by without a big first party release. There's going to have to be something big in those typically sparse months.

Add Eurogamer to the chorus of voices saying Mario Switch will be ready at launch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-15-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-will-miss-nintendo-switch-launch

Well that's three voices with a pretty good track record on Switch rumours saying Zelda will likely miss March now. Personally, I'd be fine with 3D Mario at launch and Zelda getting pushed as far back as the holidays if that's how much time it needs to be as amazing as we think it's going to be. I'd obviously like to play it sooner rather than later, but if Nintendo can bridge the gap from Mario to Zelda with other good games, I can wait.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: November 15, 2016, 04:16:54 PM »
Moving Zelda would probably kibosh the Wii U version.  If it still gets released then I figure that would end up being quite a collectable.

I'm not planning on buying a Switch any time soon and I really want Zelda on the Wii U so I would be pretty mad if it got cancelled.  But what would I be able to do to express my anger?  I still want the game so if I refused to buy a Switch in protest then I deny myself the very thing I want.  Nintendo probably knows that.  We'll grumble but any Wii U owner that is really wanting to play BotW is going to get the game no matter what, even if they have to buy a new system to get it.

But if Zelda isn't available at launch then they better have that Mario game or something big.  The Switch isn't going to do well with a limp launch.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: November 15, 2016, 06:26:26 PM »
If Zelda isn't coming out at launch then it needs to perpetuate the strength of the launch cycle. What is really important is what Nintendo has planned for the rest of the launch period, which will likely "stress" the importance of localizing Zelda. For example, Nintendo has shown us that we can expect games like the fabled 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Splat2n close to the Switch launch, and that's not even taking in the third party titles that could potentially be coming afterwards. However, I will agree that Zelda feels like a holiday title, and that both Mario Kart 8 and the original Splatoon launched prior to Summer. If Nintendo has the Switch versions of these games targeted around these same time periods, then that leaves a big Holiday spot open, unless they haven't revealed something they are planning to drop. However, Mario Kart 7 was released in December, so Mario Kart Switch could definitely fill that spot.

With many developers seemingly lacking access to Switch kits, I imagine a select few games will be targeted for the release window, among them being some poor-performance version of Skyrim, EA's "big title", a Dragon Quest or maybe even the first episode of Final Fantasy VII, and whatever Image and Form has cooked up- or maybe not, seeing as their development cycles are pretty long. With Nintendo's own releases being impressive powerhouses in their own right, I wonder where Zelda necessarily has to fit in the Switch's first year. Who knows, maybe it will slip into 2018.

As a burned Wii U owner and Switch skeptic, Zelda's slipping date is obviously aggravating, but it does pose an interesting question, one that I don't believe we have never faced- what happens to a "dual release" title if it's not being released close to the second console's launch? Does the previous version get screwed over? If the Switch fails miserably after its initial launch, does a dual release make sense in order to optimize sales? While these questions exist, the truth is, we have seen Breath of the Wild running on Wii U only, and so, I don't think they'll shelf its release. The more I think about it, it definitely makes sense to go digital, so that they can encourage a digital transfer to Switch when the sales begin to disappoint and the Wii U is dropped completely.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: November 15, 2016, 07:42:28 PM »
Nintendo has probably spent way too much money on the development of the Wii U version to cancel it so late in the game. I imagine the pre-order numbers will be enough to keep Nintendo from cancelling it.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: November 16, 2016, 05:56:25 AM »
Given the number of times Miyamoto has upended the tea table, I'm not convinced Nintendo is overly concerned with sunk cost, and in this case, particularly considering it's still releasing another version that's a lot more important to the company moving forward. Nintendo wouldn't be losing that much. Even though the Switch version will inevitably sell better, I think it's better for Nintendo to cancel the Wii U version anyway. Any Wii U owners upset by Nintendo cancelling that version will ultimately buy it on Switch regardless of all of their online vitriol and posturing of boycotts.

Still, Nintendo wants to honor the promise of releasing Breath of the Wild on Wii U which is admirable if misguided. Reassign anyone working on the Wii U version to the Switch version (or a different project) and get the game out. The damage has been done. The problem wouldn't be that the Wii U version got cancelled but that Wii U bombed and forced Nintendo to regroup with a new platform. Nintendo's goal should be focusing on releasing the best new console it can, not keeping an old platform riddled with issues on life support for a subset of fans who would forgive the company so long as it proved that it learned from past mistakes. Getting a big title like Breath of the Wild out sooner rather than later is a good start.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: November 16, 2016, 10:11:30 AM »
Something that I didn't take into account in my earlier fantasizing is that if bug testing is what's left to get the game out, then it might not be something that gets fixed by just throwing more people into the project. With every day that passes I do think Zelda will be delayed. I also think the Wii U version is more a good-will gesture to the people who stuck by the system and will not immediately gravitate to the Switch.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: November 16, 2016, 01:56:50 PM »
More rumours on the launch lineup of games from Emily Rogers and Laura Kate Dale. To summarize:

Mario Switch (launch title):

- Open 3D hub world from which different worlds can be selected; multiple objectives in each world.
- More like Super Mario Galaxy and 64 than 3D World (less linearity in the level design).
- Multiplayer will be a co-op version of the main game with a "tether" to keep players from going too far apart (in game).

Splatoon Switch (launch title):

- Nintendo is currently planning to bundle it with the more expensive Switch SKU.
- New 1 vs. 1 mode between two people on different Switch units where weapons can be changed anytime during the match.
- More single player content.
- Will receive regular updates like Wii U version.

The Elders Scroll V: Skyrim (launch title):

- Will mirror the remastered version of the game.
- Will allow mods at some point post-launch (limited to mods using existing in-game assets, however).

Mario Kart Switch (within first three months):

- Development is complete.
- All previous Wii U content included (including DLC).
- Switch version will get new tracks, playable characters, and a new and improved battle mode.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/11/report-mario-skyrim-switch-at-launch-splatoon-pack-in-no-march-wii-u-zelda/

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/11/16/rumor-mario-kart-for-switch-brings-a-mix-of-old-and-new/
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 02:00:46 PM by Oedo »

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: November 16, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »
- Will allow mods at some point post-launch (limited to mods using existing in-game assets, however).

I will believe it when I see it.

Also, I think Splatoon would benefit from an Overwatch-style playlist, where the game will randomly shuffle between different maps and game modes.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: November 16, 2016, 02:34:09 PM »

I will believe it when I see it.

Also, I think Splatoon would benefit from an Overwatch-style playlist, where the game will randomly shuffle between different maps and game modes.

It's sounding a lot more plausible, though. I was having serious doubts about Skyrim even being released for the Switch after Bethesda became non-committal, but considering how much Nintendo highlighted the game in the reveal trailer and now what Laura Dale is reporting I am more inclined to believe it.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: November 16, 2016, 03:30:05 PM »
I would be very happy if Splatoon was the pack in game.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: November 16, 2016, 04:02:54 PM »
I would be too, especially as it would mean that Nintendo is highlighting the online community aspect that the game brings. I would also like to think that this would maybe open the doors to perhaps EA testing the platform with the latest Battlefield game (the big game they might be bringing to Switch).

UPDATE: Not that I'm getting excited for the Switch... the potential could be there though...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 05:10:00 PM by Agent-X- »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: November 16, 2016, 05:13:30 PM »
A Mario+Splatoon launch doesn't seem bad at all to me. Mario would deliver the big name, mass market appeal while Splatoon would provide a fresher, multiplayer-focused, newer IP alternative. Both are great franchises.

Meanwhile, Zelda being delayed would leave room for Skyrim or other third-party games (hopefully new ones, not just remakes of years-old franchises) to grab some attention in the hardcore mindspace. I don't think Nintendo can rely on third-parties to carry a launch, but if Mario is the launch flagship that assuages my concerns.

Meanwhile, Mario Kart can release just about anytime and do well, plus sell continuously over the entire system's life. They can afford to make that game wait its turn and plug maybe a summer or holiday hole in their lineup.

With those four tentpole 1st party questions answered, one wonders though about the Switch efforts for Smash and Super Mario Maker. Of course, maybe the Super Mario Maker effort got canned or transformed into something else. There has been speculation that Smash might also show up in year one though...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: November 16, 2016, 06:27:25 PM »
What the hell? Super Mario Galaxy has a ridiculous amount of linearity.

Anyway, I see Mario Kart Switch being released as soon as possible- get those evergreen sales started as soon as possible. Surprised by Skyrim, but honestly, who cares? Even with mods, that game will have existed for... 7 years now? Even with improvements, its no bombshell. It speaks more towards the processing power of the Switch, but still.

Splat2n is the only thing about this list that excites me, because it's the most fun thing on this list. Otherwise, a return to the Galaxy formula is the last thing I want from 3D Mario after 3D World was finally a good show.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: November 16, 2016, 07:23:32 PM »
Anything more than $300 would be a bad idea, at least for NA. I know we don't know the specs yet, but it seems very unlikely the Switch will even match the power of the XBONE, let alone PS4, never mind the beefed-up versions releasing soon. Therefore, I think the system will be a hard sell as is, so it certainly can't cost more than the more powerful ones. And Switch will be compared to these two due to being part home console.

It's funny to see people hoping that third-parties don't release ports of old games, because that's exactly what I'm hoping Nintendo aren't planning. Please, no ports! (aside from Zelda)

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: November 16, 2016, 07:36:20 PM »
What the hell? Super Mario Galaxy has a ridiculous amount of linearity.

Splat2n is the only thing about this list that excites me, because it's the most fun thing on this list. Otherwise, a return to the Galaxy formula is the last thing I want from 3D Mario after 3D World was finally a good show.

Well, we do have that micro-clip from the reveal trailer, which looks to me like a blend of 3D World obstacle course gameplay with a bit of the older style framing it.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2545 on: November 16, 2016, 07:57:25 PM »
Man, That launch lineup sounds good.

I just hope the Mario game is more Super Mario 64 and less Galaxy.  I really want a game where you run around freely in the levels and can find Stars out of order by exploring.  I LOVED, LOVED that about Mario 64.  Sure it wasn't every Star, because sometimes the game needed to set the world for special situations to earn Stars, but if you could figure out how to find stars you could get them early. 

Super Mario 64 is still the BEST designed 3D platformer of the Gamecube/Nintendo 64 era games. 

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: November 17, 2016, 12:23:57 AM »
It's funny to see people hoping that third-parties don't release ports of old games, because that's exactly what I'm hoping Nintendo aren't planning. Please, no ports! (aside from Zelda)

Yeah, it's funny... for a platform that just straight up needs quality games. I think remasters of older games are a great start. Now you can play it away from home! Isn't that what we wanted?? Basically XB1 on the go??

Personally, I'm hoping for Mario Sunshine HD. I'll take it.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: November 17, 2016, 12:40:29 AM »
Man, That launch lineup sounds good.

I just hope the Mario game is more Super Mario 64 and less Galaxy.  I really want a game where you run around freely in the levels and can find Stars out of order by exploring.  I LOVED, LOVED that about Mario 64.  Sure it wasn't every Star, because sometimes the game needed to set the world for special situations to earn Stars, but if you could figure out how to find stars you could get them early. 

Super Mario 64 is still the BEST designed 3D platformer of the Gamecube/Nintendo 64 era games. 

Well the few second of footage we saw is channeling Mario 64 pretty heavily and I'm sure that was intentional on Nintendo's part.  The first thing we see is some kind of Mexican village with NPC, which as the first thing Nintendo showed point to me they've trying to tell people this Mario will be more exploration based.  We also see a spinning heart in the next section of the trailer, which is pretty telling since the spinning heart was only used in Mario 64 as well.

I mean they could have easily just shown Mario jumping on goomba's or running around any generic Mario environment but the fact they choose to show a village that screams exploration and a callback to Mario 64 with the spinning heart to me says that's the kind of Mario game this will be closest to.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: November 17, 2016, 12:48:07 AM »
I think there's an added emphasis on Wii U ports because that's the only thing we know right now. Come January, we'll start to know what new games Nintendo has in store for the system.