Author Topic: Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom  (Read 7580 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
« on: January 09, 2023, 02:16:03 PM »
I went through topics from 2022 and 2021 and didn't see anything so I'm putting this up.

I'm happy to discuss all aspects of the game but what I really want to talk about though is potential flying! Be it through a Loftwing type of mount or any other means. Preferably a Loftwing mount for my tastes. The first thought that comes to mind is that it would just break the game but if designed with the whole game in mind I think it could be balanced pretty well.

1 - Glider - It's back and it's undoubtedly going to be used as heavily as it always was. Just looking at that one portion of the trailer with Link gliding into absolute nothingness with sky islands way the heck out I just can't imagine the Glider being the means of transportation between the sky islands. If there is a Loftwing maybe it gets you through the larger gaps but the Glider is then used for more narrow areas and precision landings.

2 - Underground - If we have a ton of caves, cities and other locales underground I'm certain this is where no Loftwing would be allowed. If the underground is as extensive as even 1/4 of top ground Hyrule is that's a ton of area to explore that keeps the Glider and other traversal tools relevant that outright flight wouldn't completely omit.

3 - Dungeons - Epona don't get to go in dungeons neither does Loftwing. Same pricipal as the underground.

4 - Sky - If the Loftwing is limited to the "heavenly" part of the sky maybe there are certain natural or unnatural barriers that keep you from just flying to any portion right off the bat. Those weird antenna may produce force fields, super powerful monsters early game Link isn't ready for yet, thunder clouds, etc. At some point though I would love to feel the freedom of flight again like Skyward Sword but in a much more meaningful world. Let the Loftwing land with me on the ground. Let me feed it and pet it like I do my horse.

5 - Hyrule Surface - Depending on how much has changed I wonder how much the development team wants us to climb the same land masses like we once did? New traversal tools like the Hook/Claw Shot would change things up to let the old feel new again and who knows what other new powers will be introduced. Maybe the story logic says Loftwings can't go down to the surface again but man I'd love if by the end of the game we could totally fly around the surface and the sky at will. Especially if it means epic boss battles taking place across the sky during flight and having to free fall at times and what ever the devil else they cook up.

Oh and that big, rock bird, floating in the sky last trailer? That's a bad omen...
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 06:00:04 PM »
Don’t really think anyone is anticipating this game at all, honestly.

…okay, so jokes aside, I’m pretty stunned at how little we actually know of the gameplay and narrative for this game. We didn’t really know much about the original BotW prior to launch but we had some idea of what gameplay would be like. I think the excuse for this is very similar to Super Mario Galaxy 2: this game is a sequel. Because it is not a “new” title, it will rely heavily on the gameplay functions of its predecessor and maybe add some new, minor elements. I imagine this game will be about vertical exploration in comparison with BotW’s horizontal traversal. Which is fine.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 06:48:35 PM »

…okay, so jokes aside, I’m pretty stunned at how little we actually know of the gameplay and narrative for this game. We didn’t really know much about the original BotW prior to launch but we had some idea of what gameplay would be like. I think the excuse for this is very similar to Super Mario Galaxy 2: this game is a sequel. Because it is not a “new” title, it will rely heavily on the gameplay functions of its predecessor and maybe add some new, minor elements. I imagine this game will be about vertical exploration in comparison with BotW’s horizontal traversal. Which is fine.

We do know about some of the new gameplay from Nintendo's patents they filed for the game over a year ago.  One patent allows Link to phase through platforms from below the surface which they showed in one of the trailers.  Another patent showed the ability to rewind time on objects, which was also shown in a trailer when Link has a bolder move back up a hill.  The last one was for Link to be able to move into different positions when aiming the bow while free-falling.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 07:50:35 PM »

We do know about some of the new gameplay from Nintendo's patents they filed for the game over a year ago.  One patent allows Link to phase through platforms from below the surface which they showed in one of the trailers.  Another patent showed the ability to rewind time on objects, which was also shown in a trailer when Link has a bolder move back up a hill.  The last one was for Link to be able to move into different positions when aiming the bow while free-falling.
Yes, but none of this has been explicitly stated by Nintendo. We’ve learned about it through weird gameplay patents.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 08:27:46 PM »
2 - Underground - If we have a ton of caves, cities and other locales underground I'm certain this is where no Loftwing would be allowed. If the underground is as extensive as even 1/4 of top ground Hyrule is that's a ton of area to explore that keeps the Glider and other traversal tools relevant that outright flight wouldn't completely omit.
I’m a little concerned about possibly exploring caves and the underground because areas like Thyphlo Ruins that were completely blacked out without a torch were among my least favorite parts of the game.

3 - Dungeons - Epona don't get to go in dungeons neither does Loftwing. Same pricipal as the underground.
I expect larger dungeons than the shrines though I think exploration is still going to be bulk of the game.

4 - Sky - If the Loftwing is limited to the "heavenly" part of the sky maybe there are certain natural or unnatural barriers that keep you from just flying to any portion right off the bat.
Part of me thinks the floating landmasses is how Nintendo plans on changing the surface as in they lift up from Hyrule which not only alters huge areas of the surface but opens up underground caves.

5 - Hyrule Surface - Depending on how much has changed I wonder how much the development team wants us to climb the same land masses like we once did?
I was a little concerned about this, but it’s hard for me not to trust that Nintendo will do something fun and interesting here. Aside from what I mentioned above, there is a possibility Nintendo simply extends the map beyond Hyrule from Breath of the Wild into neighboring kingdoms, empires etc.. You can clearly see islands in the distance. The desert simply stops and you can’t travel farther despite visible terrain. The entire top of the map has an entire inaccessible landmass. Mount Agaat is the only area on the Breath of the Wild map that is labeled but can’t be visited by normal means.

Anyway, I’m curious about the story. The Tears of the Kingdom logo looks Zonai-ish and very little was revealed about them. The Seven Heroines (actually, eight) were similarly mysterious. Also, I’ve wondered what would happen if the goddesses returned to Hyrule. “We f-ing gave you these triangles for peace and prosperity, and it’s just been eons of y’all breaking ****. You split the timeline three ways. We didn’t know that was even possible. How did you do that? Why?! **** you guys. We’re taking the Triforce with us.”

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 09:30:26 PM »
4 - Sky - If the Loftwing is limited to the "heavenly" part of the sky maybe there are certain natural or unnatural barriers that keep you from just flying to any portion right off the bat.
Part of me thinks the floating landmasses is how Nintendo plans on changing the surface as in they lift up from Hyrule which not only alters huge areas of the surface but opens up underground caves.
While that seems like a great idea, it proves problematic when closely examining any of the previous promotional material, as the topography of Hyrule seems mostly unchanged, save for the absence of Sheikah shrines. Still, exploring the surface is going to be an essential part of finding routes into the sky, which I think is going to be the major objective for combing over Hyrule again.

I do think that people are vastly overestimating the existence and depth of caves, as we have seen brief references and hints at subterranean areas but nowhere near the extent or importance of the sky-focused content. Now, admittedly, we haven’t seen much of the actual masses in the sky and that could be used as an excuse for the lack of information about caves, but if there were going to be grandiose underground caverns or even intricate networks, I feel as if the developers would prioritize telegraphing that element to us in the promotional material.

The fact remains that we’re going into the close months leading up to launch and it still feels like we know very little, which I honestly prefer. A major part of Breath of the Wild was discovery and not knowing what to expect from this game adds to its overall mystique.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 12:02:16 AM »
I do think that people are vastly overestimating the existence and depth of caves, as we have seen brief references and hints at subterranean areas but nowhere near the extent or importance of the sky-focused content. Now, admittedly, we haven’t seen much of the actual masses in the sky and that could be used as an excuse for the lack of information about caves, but if there were going to be grandiose underground caverns or even intricate networks, I feel as if the developers would prioritize telegraphing that element to us in the promotional material.

The fact remains that we’re going into the close months leading up to launch and it still feels like we know very little, which I honestly prefer. A major part of Breath of the Wild was discovery and not knowing what to expect from this game adds to its overall mystique.

Judging by Aonuma's words, I think a decently meaty underground is in store for us. However his little comments about exploring the sky and an expanded world really don't mean much at the moment. It's the initial story trailer that leads me to believe we will have more underground caverns and such.

When looking at our very first teaser/trailer of Breath of the Wild we saw Link and horse just idle in a massive field and then all of a sudden a giant Gardian comes around destroying everything. Link jumps off the horse in super cinematic bullet time fashion and shoots an ancient arrow. At first glance it seemed like yeah that was just a fancy in engine(or maybe cgi) concept of what the game may or could look like. When I really think about it however the only thing in the final game not found in that trailer were the Shieka locals farming or gathering. That trailer gave us relatively honest gameplay hints. Big world to explore, giant robots would chase you down and there is indeed a bullet time mechanic when you pull out the bow.

It all looked too cool to be true but it was very evocative of actual gameplay.

Fast forward to our first look at Tears of the Kingdom and looks to me the same thing is happening. We are given a very story heavy look at the game. Zelda and Link exploring a fairly well lit dungeon/cavern. A big ceiling worm to fight in cave and what ever the devil else. Looks to me that the trailer is telling us this game will be more story heavy and we should expect a lot of underground to go with the sky.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 12:10:30 AM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2023, 01:27:23 AM »
I'm completely out of the loop, and haven't fired my Switch up for some time now.... but a New Zelda has my attention.

Is there a recent video or something that released? When exactly is this coming out?
And when I looked it up.... why was it said to be one of if not the last big release on the Switch!?

Is the Switch Pro, or Switch 2 on the horizon? and what do we know about that?
Where are all the credible rumors surrounding that?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2023, 01:39:25 AM »
While that seems like a great idea, it proves problematic when closely examining any of the previous promotional material, as the topography of Hyrule seems mostly unchanged, save for the absence of Sheikah shrines.
Maybe. 🤷‍♀️

Like you said, we know very little. If I was going to hide anything about the game, reshaping portions of the overworld and how that happens would be it. Some things don't need to be changed though such as the stables and villages. I do wonder where the sky islands come from, and it just reminds me of Skyloft. The first teaser from E3 2021 shows Hyrule Castle lifting off the ground.

Judging by Aonuma's words, I think a decently meaty underground is in store for us.
I don't know how meaty it's going to be though I expect some cave and underground areas especially after that scene with Zelda apparently falling through the ground in the 2021 E3 teaser (unless that’s a red herring or a vision/dream). It's one way to add new exploration opportunities if Tears of the Kingdom is going to share the same basic overworld.

Is there a recent video or something that released? When exactly is this coming out?
1. Not since the trailer/title reveal trailer a few months ago.
2. May 12, 2023.

1. Nothing announced.
2. Last rumor I read, a Switch Pro was planned and quietly cancelled due to some weird thing that happened in 2020.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 03:27:28 AM by Adrock »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2023, 11:00:37 AM »
The size of any underground area will probably depend on how big the Sky sections will be.  If the Sky Islands end up equaling a size similar to Hyrule then I have a hard time seeing an equally large underground section.  Even if normal Hyrule has remained mostly unchanged, creating all those brand new area's in the Sky is still a large task for the developers.

Even though they've been working on this for close to 6 years, that would still be a massive undertaking to create 2 completely new worlds and still update the existing Hryule.  Now I imagine new caves will have been created for the original Hyrule to give new things to find there but I don't know how doable it will be to have a giant underground section comparable to other area's.

I think part of the reason for this game taking so long is because we'll be getting some massive dungeons this time.  The biggest complaint about BOTW was the Divine Beast weren't a good substitute for traditional dungeons, so I think the Zelda team has found a way to make some massive dungeons like the previous games, but still make them work with the open world gameplay of BOTW.  That's the part I'm most interested in seeing what they've done for this game.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 01:22:18 PM »
I think you can probably create a decent gameplay loop based on the pre-established foundations. For example:
1) Find a launch point or a subterranean entrance within a region that helps Link get to a sky island. Create some sort of mini challenge there, similar to shrines, that once completed, releases a lock for the main dungeon.
2) Once all locks have been released, Link can access the launch point that takes him to the region’s dungeon.
3) Region dungeon is long-form puzzle and combat content that limits usual skill set, grants some element crucial to the main quest.

As there are eight regions to Breath of the Wild’s Hyrule (one being Central Hyrule, which could have Hyrule Castle as its dungeon) and seven years shown in the etchings from the promotional material, one might assume that finding a region’s corresponding dungeon would require scouring its topography for locks/keys/what-have-you. Now, the developers could scale the number of these locks back in comparison with Breath of the Wild’s 120 shrines, and in doing so, make each lock or the corresponding dungeon more substantial as a result. However, I’m just theorycrafting here and people who complained about the Divine Beasts and the lack of traditional 3D Zelda content in BotW are stupid, so I’d be fine if we still had to find a large amount of mini puzzles.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 02:15:47 PM »
I mostly liked the Shrines. 🤷‍♀️ Not all of them were winners especially the gyro ones. And there were a few instances in which they could have been placed more strategically on the overworld to make fast traveling to certain areas easier like north of Great Hyrule Forest. Still, I wouldn’t say no to some traditional dungeons in Tears of the Kingdom though I kind of want to see an old-school Zelda since we haven’t had one of those in nearly 20 years so maybe do that instead.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2023, 07:52:23 AM »
I imagine we'll still have Shrines or something similar to them since those were great rewards for exploration and were mostly well liked.  The biggest complaints were too many Test of Strength shrines and the music and look of the Shrines being the same.  I'd imagine Shrines in Tears of the Kingdom will probably have a variety of looks and music to help make them feel more unique, and the Test of Strength Shrines will either be greatly reduced, or have a much larger variety of enemies to fight so they don't all feel too similar as well.

Offline stevey

• Young HAWNESS
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2023, 12:17:37 PM »
NWR didn't get to go to Nintendo's Zelda preview event that everyone is bragging about today?

1. Nothing announced.
2. Last rumor I read, a Switch Pro was planned and quietly cancelled due to some weird thing that happened in 2020.

The story is way more complicated from what I've heard. Originally the Switch Pro was delayed/shelved and the OLED was uncancelled in 2021 due to the chip shortage. With fake internet monies craze dying and chips being easy to get in 2022, they were going to release the Pro/(new) console but decided to wait until patches are available to take advantage of it sometime around spring 2023. Meanwhile, they made a metric ton of Zelda themed OLEDs in spring/summer 2022, which they were forced into storage due to TotK being delayed to May 2023. Since Nintendo wants to get their money worth out of these OLEDs and even has balls to charge a $10 surcharge for sitting on them for a year, they killed the Pro to not compete with the Zelda OLED's sales and delaying it more will cause it to bump heads with the next console releasing next year. The Pro might live on as part of the "Switch" 2's backwards compatibility but Nintendo is considering not even including it. People in the know are trying to raise a backlash about Switch 2 not having any backwards compatibility to make Nintendo change their mind on it.
My Demands and Declarations:
nVidia is CRAP!!!
BOYCOTT Digest mode and LEGEND OF OO!

Your PM box will be spammed with Girl Link porn! NO EXCEPTION!
Wii want WaveBirds

Stevey Duff
NWR HAWTNESS Inspector
NWR Staff All Powerful Satin!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2023, 09:49:07 AM »
NWR didn't get to go to Nintendo's Zelda preview event that everyone is bragging about today?

1. Nothing announced.

The story is way more complicated from what I've heard. Originally the Switch Pro was delayed/shelved and the OLED was uncancelled in 2021 due to the chip shortage. With fake internet monies craze dying and chips being easy to get in 2022, they were going to release the Pro/(new) console but decided to wait until patches are available to take advantage of it sometime around spring 2023. Meanwhile, they made a metric ton of Zelda themed OLEDs in spring/summer 2022, which they were forced into storage due to TotK being delayed to May 2023. Since Nintendo wants to get their money worth out of these OLEDs and even has balls to charge a $10 surcharge for sitting on them for a year, they killed the Pro to not compete with the Zelda OLED's sales and delaying it more will cause it to bump heads with the next console releasing next year. The Pro might live on as part of the "Switch" 2's backwards compatibility but Nintendo is considering not even including it. People in the know are trying to raise a backlash about Switch 2 not having any backwards compatibility to make Nintendo change their mind on it.

Hopefully those "people in the know" already got their way, as this job listing was found the other day talking about developing "cross platform" and for current and future Nintendo hardware
https://www.nerd.nintendo.com/files/Job%20Offer%20GAMETECH2023%20EN.pdf

my interpretation is that is speaking about backwards compatibility.... but I could be wrong.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2023, 12:31:45 AM »
So the game has been leaked.  Anyone trying to avoid spoilers should just turn their computers off for the next 2 weeks because shits spreading like wildfire.

Not going to say anything in particular but Holy **** this game is massive.  For all the people wondering why it took 6 years for this to come out, your about to find out in a really really really big way.

Seriously, **** ****, holy **** this game is going to be beyond insane.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2023, 02:52:32 PM »
You are hyping me up Luigi Dude. I mean for real! I've listened to the previews from a few outlets but I've barely looked at all the new footage aside from the last big trailer and the commercials recently released. These comments that I am reading just seem too dog on good.

Just Luigi Dude's comment above... Botw was already huge, I'm thinking with the sky and underground how much more are we talking? It excites me but I'm still keeping my imagination and expectations reserved.

When Wind Waker hit, that Great Sea really excited me. Finding new islands and civilizations across the huge ocean seemed like such a great new way to explore. The idea of seeing a new grand island over the horizon seemed like we were in for something special. And to a point the game is special and is held in high regard for me personally. Though it was with this game I realized Nintendo wasn't going to build a Zelda world to the scale that I expected.

There was like 3 maybe 4 islands tops that actually held lived in ecosystems and populations. Tiny islands everywhere, only one island actually felt like people really lived there and just the over all scale was so tiny it was a let down.

Twilight Princess didn't do much more for me in that regard and Skyward Sword was even worse. Loved the way the games played for the most part and always loved solving puzzles but the games were so small scale it just felt like Zelda had been left in the past.

Now after Botw it feels like the Zelda team as gotten on with the times and those WW through SS memories feel like they will be left in a far gone era.

RomanceDawn

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2023, 07:53:53 PM »
So the game has been leaked.  Anyone trying to avoid spoilers should just turn their computers off for the next 2 weeks because shits spreading like wildfire.

Not going to say anything in particular but Holy **** this game is massive.  For all the people wondering why it took 6 years for this to come out, your about to find out in a really really really big way.

Seriously, **** ****, holy **** this game is going to be beyond insane.

I think I added like 20 words to my muted list on Twitter when I saw the game leaked. This includes the word "Link" which is adding other complications to my casual scrolling, but it's fine.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2023, 04:23:13 PM »
I have it pre-ordered thanks to the voucher program, from $100 shop cards I bought at Costco for $80. Other game I got was Advance Wars. So saved $50 from retail price. Pro tip for those worried about the $70 price tag.

I still need to beat Breath of the Wild. Not made any progress since months ago when I mentioned I wanted to try to complete as much as possible. I actually gave my game away planning to rebuy on digital during a good sale and there hasn't been a good enough sale for me...so...yeah, I'll have to cave and buy it to complete (never beat the boss once), or just watch the ending on youtube.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2023, 12:28:25 PM »
It’s not just good.

It’s great.

I don’t know whether or not I think it appears so good because of its nature as a sequel, but most everything that is present here feels like an improvement on BotW. The addition of caves is such a valuable element that speaks to the age old Miyamoto adage of exploring them in his youth. Hyrule does feel vastly different, and honestly, they can keep some of the changes. Death Mountain doesn’t always need to be vomiting lava.

But does it feel better because it’s an expansion of BotW’s world, or despite it? I don’t know. I haven’t explored every region of the map yet, and even the regions I have plumbed have not been thorough. There truly is so much to do, and each new region offers unexpected ideas, items, and twists. I love it.

It’s the best Zelda game ever. And yes, this time, it caters more towards fans of linear, telegraphed objectives.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2023, 08:43:30 PM »
But does it feel better because it’s an expansion of BotW’s world, or despite it? I don’t know.

I lean towards the former on. I started out expecting the world to be vast, yet familiar. Instead, the game was able to subvert my expectations by having a landscape that is more altered than I expected. BotW's Hyrule was great because it was vast, expansive, and new. TotK's Hyrule is all that while also being familiar.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2023, 11:52:01 PM »
I just played my first boss and holy smokes! That had to be the most fun boss I've played from any Zelda game. Nothing in the last few games came close to that by far it was that exciting! I'm going to assume I played one of the coolest ones first and will mentally prepare myself for encounters that won't be so exciting.

16ish hours in and I am having such a good time. I did one major play through of BotW. Over 355 hours before I was done. I played ever so often to help my kids with their play throughs but that was years ago so the old landscape feels entirely new to me. The new stuff is like GADZOOKS what am I playing?! and I've only been to 3 parts of the OG map! Maybe 2 in the sky!

RomanceDawn