Author Topic: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread  (Read 320052 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread
« Reply #1175 on: July 25, 2014, 10:07:56 PM »
This is like when they made a special exception to the DMCA to make it legal to jailbreak phones. All it does is make it so that there's explicitly no legal penalty for doing something that you could already do with virtually no fear of legal penalty.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: July 25, 2014, 11:42:19 PM »
Verizon actually has the best technology, and they are the best option for buying a phone if you want it unlocked, because every LTE Verizon phone since the Galaxy S III is (legally mandated) factory unlocked for any carrier. You may not be able to take your T-Mobile phone to Verizon, but you can take your Verizon phone to T-Mobile, without any hassle or contract requirements to meet.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: August 08, 2014, 01:28:45 PM »
The new versrion of the L developer preview is out for all you dudes with the N5 & N7. The latest build has support for google fit which just had its sdk released this week as well.

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-posts-updated-android-l-factory-images-nexus-5-7-support-google-fit

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-fit-sdk-preview-now-available-developers
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

« Reply #1178 on: August 09, 2014, 01:17:08 AM »
Serious Tablet/Smart phone related question. My experience with Android is limited to Google TV, I had a Logitech Revue and they loaded Android, um I think it was 3. something a while back, and basically ruined it. Anyways I did have an iPad tablet the college loaned me but that was taken back when they kicked me out of school. Next month my contract expires and I have to get off my parents plan and get my own, the phone I have now was a birthday present for turning 30 and making the Deans list in school so it was a nice little reward. Anyways now that the contract is up and school didn't pan out as expected I have to get my own plan.

Here are my questions, my sister just switched from iPhone to Android and she loves it swears iPhone is worthless in comparison. If I get an Android tablet what am I looking at are they like just iPads with a different OS or are they really unique? Or should I consider getting a Windows Tablet? I do a LOT of video editing so I will keep my current laptop/desktop set up for that but I would like to look into getting a tablet of some sorts for the portability options and for maybe doing some light stuff on the fly from time to time.

What kind of features are there on the basic Android phones? My iPhone is a 3GS and I got it two years ago, I am looking at probably entry level so it would probably have been new two years ago or thereabouts. How do the actual phone apps compare? I hate the iPhone phone app with a passion I hate the separate apps for text, talk, and phone book my old Samsung flip style phone kept it all together. I hate how you have two choices All calls or Missed calls no outgoing way to sort by just outgoing from incoming. I hate how it autdials the last number you dialed if you click OK without backspacing all the way to the start to dial a number on the keypad.

The only thing I like is it uses iTunes as I have been iPod loyal since 2004. Its late I am tired if this doesn't make much sense I will try again in the morning stay cool all.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: August 09, 2014, 01:39:51 AM »
Androids are basically like mini computers. They are completely open (if you get Google stock) and can be customized by the carrier and maker. That makes the "Android experience" completely dependent on the phone you buy. It isn't unified like Apple.

But unlike Apple, things are closed off so much so you have more control. But I do know that some people like that control since it makes things simple.

Beyond that, I really can't help you.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 01:45:46 AM by Oblivion »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: August 09, 2014, 01:44:07 AM »
Get an iPhone and then jailbreak it. Best of both worlds.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: August 09, 2014, 01:45:24 AM »
Get an iPhone and then jailbreak it. Best of both worlds.

And when he fucks up and makes his battery life last two hours, I hope he blames you. ;)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: August 09, 2014, 01:49:17 AM »
That's not all that common, especially at this point, and if it were to become an issue it's easy enough to reverse.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: August 09, 2014, 02:37:28 PM »
You can get a GOOD entry-level Android device for very little money, depending on your carrier. The Moto G on Verizon (pre-paid, which is a good deal) is only $99 or $50 when it's on sale (that's the full retail price).

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: August 09, 2014, 03:40:05 PM »
Are there any good QWERTY phones left on the market? I've looked at the Motorola Photon but not much else seems to be available. I'm missing my old QWERTY phone. If it were larger I would go back to it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: August 09, 2014, 03:50:52 PM »
Blackberry's your only choice for a keyboard these days. The keyboard just doesn't give with modern phone trends sadly.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: August 09, 2014, 09:44:34 PM »
Motorola Photon is an outdated piece of crap. Keyboards waste space or cause phones to break easier. Welcome to the touchscreen era.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: August 10, 2014, 01:25:37 AM »
Oh look, I guess Google's tweaked the keyboard you use to go into the playstore and type into search 'swiftkey' (or for me on tablets 'hackers keyboard'). Lets see how it looks.

Android 5.0 ugLy

And stratos there are still some ways to get a QWERTY keyboard on your phone.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:32:59 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: August 10, 2014, 09:31:12 AM »
You mean Sexy right, I've been using a rip of the L keyboard and its a joy tp use and look at.

Chrome Beta got the Material Desgin look.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/07/gallery-chrome-beta-for-android-gets-a-material-design-makeover/#image-3

BB10 is using android apps and will be getting the amazon app store in the next major revision.

You really only have two choices.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: August 10, 2014, 09:39:22 AM »
I guess I'm still on the fence about Android L, and I've never actually used it - but I'm not a fan of the on screen button icons. It kind of reminds me of that facebook phone which was a steaming pile of ****. The ones HTC uses look a lot better.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: August 10, 2014, 09:48:12 AM »
I'd say you liking L depends on how you feel about minimalism and how design is pushing toward it on all fronts.

Though we won't be able to make a full comparasion till the full L release.

« Reply #1191 on: August 10, 2014, 01:54:10 PM »
I am a Windows all the way guy but I do have an iPhone and I HATE IT. I did jailbreak it that does not fix the shitty phone apps. the only thing I like about it is the iPod/iTunes features but I am just going to get an iPod classic and stick to that I love those things.

I guess what I am really worried about is if I get a tablet what will not be able to do on it that I can do on my laptop. Also I need a keyboard I had an iPad mini at school and  I hated it, even with a keyboard attached it was a piece of ****. I haven't heard anything good about Windows tablets and what I did try of Windows 8 I hated also.

I think what I want for a tablet is something I can use to play games an watch videos on, if I can attach USB devices and to use it for reading PDF files, specifically D&D rule books and comics. Are those the types of things Android is good for or should I suck it up and make Windows 8 work? As for a phone I just need it for a phone that is why I want a tablet to get away from the smartphone aspect and just use a regular iPod for music and a tablet for videos and portable computing stuff, then I will just use the phone as a phone an to manage like a few apps but not much else. My eyes are bad which is why I hate little screens and don't buy portable game consoles. I only hear good things about Android but nothing good about Windows Tablets so I might do some more research but I did my initial research two years ago and decided they products out did not live up to my standard or needs.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: August 10, 2014, 02:17:33 PM »
I am a Windows all the way guy but I do have an iPhone and I HATE IT. I did jailbreak it that does not fix the shitty phone apps. the only thing I like about it is the iPod/iTunes features but I am just going to get an iPod classic and stick to that I love those things.

I guess what I am really worried about is if I get a tablet what will not be able to do on it that I can do on my laptop. Also I need a keyboard I had an iPad mini at school and  I hated it, even with a keyboard attached it was a piece of ****. I haven't heard anything good about Windows tablets and what I did try of Windows 8 I hated also.

I think what I want for a tablet is something I can use to play games an watch videos on, if I can attach USB devices and to use it for reading PDF files, specifically D&D rule books and comics. Are those the types of things Android is good for or should I suck it up and make Windows 8 work? As for a phone I just need it for a phone that is why I want a tablet to get away from the smartphone aspect and just use a regular iPod for music and a tablet for videos and portable computing stuff, then I will just use the phone as a phone an to manage like a few apps but not much else. My eyes are bad which is why I hate little screens and don't buy portable game consoles. I only hear good things about Android but nothing good about Windows Tablets so I might do some more research but I did my initial research two years ago and decided they products out did not live up to my standard or needs.
The asus transformer may be you're cup of tea.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: August 12, 2014, 05:48:53 PM »
I got the "Material Design" update for the Play Store today (HTC One M8), looks pretty nice actually.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: August 12, 2014, 06:48:48 PM »
On the other hand, the MD Chrome Beta is not. Its huge and bloated. I'll stay with my original Chrome app.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: August 12, 2014, 10:15:46 PM »
Motorola Photon is an outdated piece of crap. Keyboards waste space or cause phones to break easier. Welcome to the touchscreen era.

My QWERTY phone is the only smartphone my wife and I have used that has not broken is some fashion. Plus I don't mind the size of qwerty phones. They feel just right to what I picture for the size of a phone.

I found some bluetooth keyboard attachments for Galaxy S2 and S3. I'll pick up the S2 one now and may upgrade to an S3 in the future so I'll keep an eye out for the other one.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: August 12, 2014, 11:16:37 PM »
The Photon q 4g is probably your best bet.

Unless you wanted to test your luck with a Bluetooth keyboard case.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 02:37:38 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: August 13, 2014, 01:21:19 AM »
If you want a 3 year old phone running an obsolete version of Android (Gingerbread), are under contract to Sprint, and must have a physical QWERTY keyboard, then yes...the Photon 4G is probably your best bet.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: August 13, 2014, 02:39:23 AM »
Sorry, forgot to put a Q in there, that gives you 4.1.2 I believe.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: August 13, 2014, 09:22:37 AM »
Yeah, actually the Photon doesn't have a keyboard.