Author Topic: Splinter Cell enhanced for Gamecube.  (Read 7825 times)

Offline Game_Freak

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Splinter Cell enhanced for Gamecube.
« on: February 05, 2003, 07:02:30 PM »
From IGN's mailbag,

Matt from IGN hinted that the GC version of Splinter Cell will have levels and extras not seen in the Xbox version or even the PS2 version, and also it will have "rocking" graphics. Ubisoft always make good ports.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 07:11:25 PM »
In the old forum, I talked about Ubi Soft taking its time for a quality port. It looks like I'm going to buy this game.

unique features = GCN-GBA link

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 07:50:32 PM »
Damn, I already went out and got it for Xbox =\
Well, I'll give it a hire on GameCube.

This game is a work of art as it is, I recommened this gem to every GameCube owner out there! Liked GoldenEye? You'll love SC.

BTW, while I'm here, I'll just let you all know I won't be here for a week. I'm finally starting work tommorrow (casual), hey, I deserved all those months off after my HSC dammit!

So yeah, catch you all next week. Or, if I'm not dead tired, I might pop on for a bit (Working 12 hour shifts.. Arg)

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2003, 07:56:26 PM »
Don't worry about it if you bought the game for Xbox.  You're playing it NOW, and you will have some downloadables that the other consoles won't.  It's a good game all around, so just be happy you got to play it first.  

It is good to see that UbiSoft is going all out and giving each console some nifty extras.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2003, 07:56:53 PM »
I do believe the extra levels, etc. Are going to be the downloadable content thats made for Xbox live. So I wouldn't get my hopes too far up that it will be too different.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2003, 08:05:29 PM »
What BlckPaladin and Rick Powers said (I own Splinter Cell for X-Box myself)

I am curious on whether or not they will actually put the GCN/GBA link up to good use though between the two versions.

I think it's only a matter of time though before Splinter Cell for the X-Box has more levels than Splinter Cell on the PS2 and GCN versions . Unless of course Ubi Soft suddenly stops creating downloadable content over Live for Splinter Cell... god forbid...

One thing is good to hear though, is that Ubi Soft is taking their time to create quality ports. Always good to hear that a developer taking their time and effort.

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2003, 08:45:53 PM »
.... Ubi Soft is basically the first one outside of Sega to pull one off. (From what it sounds like) They may stop production on making new content for Xbox live since it does cost money, unless they charge for the downloads.

Offline Game_Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2003, 09:34:41 PM »

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey
Damn, I already went out and got it for Xbox =\
Well, I'll give it a hire on GameCube.

This game is a work of art as it is, I recommened this gem to every GameCube owner out there! Liked GoldenEye? You'll love SC.

BTW, while I'm here, I'll just let you all know I won't be here for a week. I'm finally starting work tommorrow (casual), hey, I deserved all those months off after my HSC dammit!

So yeah, catch you all next week. Or, if I'm not dead tired, I might pop on for a bit (Working 12 hour shifts.. Arg)

*Breaks down in tears* Infernal, i will miss you. Good luck on your new job, where are you working?

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2003, 10:32:40 PM »
Working in excess of full time is a pain. Hopefully when I start my business I won't have to work over 45 hours a week ever with all the other partners I have brought in. Two more months. I will maybe have a stable broadband connection when I open so maybe I will try Xbox Live out. It's not compatible with the one I have at home which ticks me off since PSO works perfectly with it.

And Infernal Monkey hopefully you job doesn't involve lots of standing for long periods of time, I would pity you. I have two real bad bruises on my achille's tendon that have been their for over a year and refuse to heal because I have to stand a lot and move on hard floors.

Offline mrcivic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2003, 11:10:55 PM »
I'm surprised that Ubisoft is taking the time to do a proper port for GameCube. We usually just get sloppy PS2 ones....
I just hope Ubi doesn't cancel the GCN version at the last minute.
If a Cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about! - Troy McClure

Are you a PAL gamer? Then visit PALGN.com "For PAL gamers - By PAL gamers!"

Offline Evilmanman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2003, 11:32:52 PM »
I dont like splinter cell.

It's not the gameplay, or the graphics, they are all good, and I havent played enough to like or dislike the storyline, it's just I've played the demo at HArvey Norman and cant get past the demo level!

Stupid demo level, only one thing is stopping me from triumph. All the doors are locked
THE SECRET IS ON THE EASTERN PENINSULA. I KNOW NOTHING. I AM ERROR.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2003, 01:01:05 AM »
I wouldn't be suprised if those downloads from Ubi went way or evaporated.  It can't be easy to expend the staff on something like that when you aren't getting paid for it.  I would rather see them using that staff on newer games than designing levels for SC.

Offline GoldShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2003, 02:21:53 PM »
Ugly - They may be getting paid my Microsoft to support Xbox Live.

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2003, 03:25:22 PM »
I don't know you would think that their would be a limit on how much they are willing to go into debt for it. But you never know.

Offline alexzman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2003, 02:09:15 PM »
Well Microsoft is making enough money of it's other sectors to support the XBox division.
--CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Sim City 4, Mario Golf
--LOOKING FORWARD TO:
F-Zero, SCII, and MK: DD

Offline Duriez

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2003, 02:30:46 PM »

Originally posted by: alexzman
Well Microsoft is making enough money of it's other sectors to support the XBox division.

I thought all of the sectors were divided up and no money was exchanged between them.  Am I wrong?

Offline degenesise

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2003, 05:18:10 PM »
Do you know that Splinter Cell is the first game that I actually gurantee to buy it for a not exclusive game from Gamecube.  I'm going to be very happy if they actually did a good port.
Nintendo is kinda like the NHL.  They rather stick to the old tradition rather than making a new changes

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2003, 04:02:48 PM »
Don't call me a pessimist or anything, but i honestly think that this game will not be better than its Xbox counter-part.  Very simply, the extra levels most likely will be available download over Xbox Live and the PS2 version also has secret levels that are not available on the Xbox version.  I concede that the graphics will be similar to Xbox and maybe even superior to, but do not jump to conclusions, the Xbox is one powerful machine whether we like to admit it or not.   Do not jump on my back for being a Nintendo hater or what not, in fact, the Nintendo Gamecube is the only next-gen system I own, and i own every First party game that it has released.  I'm just tossing ideas out there.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Mike-OPN2000

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2003, 04:51:37 PM »
Yea, ports arent usually better than the original in terms of graphics and gameplay, being that it was designed on X-box, we can only hope that it ends up being just as good in every possible way.  At least they are taking their time, and arent rushing it.  It will be a nice game to have for the middle of this year.  

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2003, 08:31:49 AM »
Does this mean that the GCN version will actually look better or atleas as good as the Xbox version?
A REALLY good port might make me buy it.
LZ 2005

Offline Christberg

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2003, 08:42:04 AM »
While it's quite possible that Ubi soft is doing a very good job on the GCN version, it'll be interesting to see what actually arrives since it's really at a serious disadvantage saleswise on the GC.  I'm pretty sure Ubisoft knows this and is planning accordingly unfortunately.

I wouldn't necessarily count on the GC version being awesome, but in theory it really could be a very, very nice looking game if they wanted it to be.  We'll see.

I'm not buying Splinter Cell until it's on all 3 platforms, and then I'll compare the cost and the extras and determine which version is best.  It's a nice luxury that all of us who own all 3 systems can look forward to.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2003, 09:43:37 AM »
but then again ubisoft is saying they are taking the time to enhance the GCN versions graphics plus extras
that seemingly indicates ubisoft are putting alot of effort into the game

lets see, and dont forget theres still the pc version which will look best anyway
LZ 2005

Offline mrcivic

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2003, 12:15:01 AM »
After extensively trying the xbox version, I'm really looking forward to the GameCube version!

Now I'm wondering what the GCN-GBA connection will have.

And I've just made a box-art for the GameCube version, which you can check out by clicking my sig.
If a Cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about! - Troy McClure

Are you a PAL gamer? Then visit PALGN.com "For PAL gamers - By PAL gamers!"

Offline dogcow

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2003, 02:27:16 AM »
The GC version of Splinter Cell will have GBA Link up.

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2003, 06:13:40 AM »
I was reading up on Splinter Cell last night, and I don't think I'm that excited about it really. I guess I'm just curious. It sounds like a lot of trial and error gaming. If you've played it, how much was it like that?