Author Topic: Meteos!  (Read 32727 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE: Meteos!
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2005, 10:40:08 AM »
Release date's not until June 27 in the US.  Thanks for the meaningful post, Bloodworth.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2005, 11:49:44 AM »
He imported, and apparently, lost track of time until nearly 4AM his time last night.  It's THAT good.

I think we're starting to see some momentum coming for the DS.  Meteos gets 38/40, Nintendogs gets 40/40.  Maybe this was a good gamble for Nintendo.  I guess we'll see what happens when both games hit stateside.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Meteos!
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2005, 04:14:34 PM »

Originally posted by: kingvudu
Release date's not until June 27 in the US.  Thanks for the meaningful post, Bloodworth.

Nice post there.

Would Bloodworth really post that without a reason?
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2005, 04:18:50 PM »
Yeah, I had to post something, but it was too freaking late to go into detail.  This is probably the coolest puzzle game I've ever played.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2005, 04:26:02 PM »
Have you played Lumines?  Can't really compare the two, but that's the coolest puzzle game I've played in a while.  The only concern I had with Meteos (I played Jonny's copy a while back) was that you had to be really precise with the stylus.  It was sometimes difficult to drag the stylus in a straight line up and down.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2005, 04:30:39 PM »
Obi was talking like they were made by the same company.  I need to look into it.  Not something I'd buy a PSP for, but I would like to play it when you guys come down for E3.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2005, 04:58:51 PM »
Ok big points here to whet appetites. (keep in mind that I haven't really gotten to see everything yet. )

-The game is played by dragging blocks up and down within each column, trying to connect horizontal or vertical rows of blocks (three or more of the same kind).  When you connect the blocks they launch everything above them into the air.  If there's too much weight above them, they'll begin to descend, and you'll need to drag another matching set to the bottom row to gain more lift.  The goal is actually to launch your blocks and destroy the opposing planet on the upper screen.

-Various bits of music are triggered whenever you launch blocks, the stack gets high, blocks descend - pretty much anything that causes motion on the screen causes music to play, making for an interactive audio experience.  

-Each planet has different skins for the blocks, as well as different music/effects.  Also, different dynamics to your lift. Some planets are harder to get lift on, others may be easy to get lift, but the CPU will quickly pile on more dud blocks weapons like smoke bombs to obscure your view.

-Smash Bros. style on/off switches for your favorite weapons.

-Weapons and music selections available for purchase from a strange variety of points you collect.

-Four play modes, including a branching path through the planets, time attack, etc.

-Four player single card multiplayer.

-Did I mention awesome music and opening FMV?

-You can still play the game on the lower screen while the credits are rolling on the top.    
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2005, 06:20:35 PM »
Lumines and Meteos are indeed both made by Mizuguchi.  Meteos is reportedly a far better game, but Lumines is certainly no slouch.  

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2005, 09:12:19 PM »
I've read on some reviews that you can pretty much cheat, by moving the stylus randomly when things get really hectic. Is it true?

http://www.honestgamers.com/systems/content.php?console_id=52&review_id=3578&game_id=15299

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2005, 09:22:03 PM »
I'm sure you could get lucky and shift things to the right place by accident, but I don't think it's enough to be fool proof.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2005, 09:26:09 PM »
Haha, honest gamers.  More like internet pussy fanboy moron gamers.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2005, 09:31:25 PM »
Just read the review.  I don't agree with much of it.  Looks like the battle rages over which puzzle game is better.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline MrMojoRising

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2005, 11:02:08 PM »
Pretend this post doesn't exist...I realized my question was stupid...

Prediction: some smart alec was going to say "what post"

Prediction: they won't do it anymore since I made fun of them with my prediction

Prediction: someone still might do it just to spite me

Prediction: Meteos will rock hard!

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2005, 11:10:57 PM »
I'm the Resident Smartass, but I won't do it just so you don't get the satisfaction. You got the right cause for the wrong effect and the right effect for the wrong cause, so all your predictions as a whole are wrong about me.

I'm hyped for Meteos... I think I have a little self-control. That glitch, if it exists, won't affect me.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2005, 09:58:44 AM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
Lumines and Meteos are indeed both made by Sakaguchi.  Meteos is reportedly a far better game, but Lumines is certainly no slouch.

Its Mizuguchi right? Testsuya Mizuguchi of Q Entertainment?

Either way, I've been holding out for this game for months....I've foregone Polarium and the rest for it. I think Ill break down and get Puyo Pop (never puyo-ed) but Meteos remains my likely top purchase in June (followed perhaps by Another or Kirby).

Bloodworth, how would you rate the multiplayer? Better than Puzzle Fighter or *gasp* Tetris Attack? Plus it being single-card for up to four people...ohhhh mannnn.  

Offline Robotor

• The Robot Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2005, 02:25:18 PM »
I think I have an insane unhealthy desire for this game, everytime I read about it I get real excited.  Ever hear the song "Heroin" 'cause that's what I feel like.

My appetite did not need whetting, why would you do such a thing Bloodworth?  I cannot wait.
It may be simple, but it ain't easy.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2005, 03:18:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Blackknight131

Originally posted by: RickPowers
Lumines and Meteos are indeed both made by Sakaguchi.  Meteos is reportedly a far better game, but Lumines is certainly no slouch.

Its Mizuguchi right? Testsuya Mizuguchi of Q Entertainment?

Either way, I've been holding out for this game for months....I've foregone Polarium and the rest for it. I think Ill break down and get Puyo Pop (never puyo-ed) but Meteos remains my likely top purchase in June (followed perhaps by Another or Kirby).

Bloodworth, how would you rate the multiplayer? Better than Puzzle Fighter or *gasp* Tetris Attack? Plus it being single-card for up to four people...ohhhh mannnn.

Yeah, that's right.  I posted Sakaguchi my mistake.  Thanks for catching that.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2005, 09:56:52 PM »

Originally posted by: Blackknight131

I'll let you know how I like it after E3.  However, I must say that I don't get to play any multi in puzzle games, so I wouldn't be much good for ranking it.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2005, 10:35:05 PM »
Sorry to hear...Tetris Attack and Puzzle Fighter have offered hours of (un)friendly competition.

I'll look forward to the comments (tho they might be lost in the flood that will be E3).

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2005, 12:42:17 AM »
Some other little details I've noticed.

Your currency in the shop actually corresponds to the colored blocks in the game.  So for instance, an item might cost 50 red blocks or 50 light blue and 50 white.  I'm not sure if you actually have to make matches of those colors or if it counts whatever you launch, but it's an interesting twist that will have you searching for planets that have more of the rarer colors.

You can switch the upper screen cam to watch one of your opponent's stacks.  

It looks like you can send a demo to a friend's DS like you can in Polarium.  Not sure, but I can at least read the words "distribute" and "friend" here.

Challenge mode tests how long you can last on a planet before your stack gets too high.

Time Trials have four modes.  2 minute and 5 minute modes that test how many blocks you can put up, and 100 block and 1000 block modes that test how quickly you can clear that many blocks.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2005, 06:15:42 AM »
I cannot WAIT to play Meteos at E3.  Happy days are here again

Lumines is really good, but it sounds like Meteos is deeper and has more replay value.  It definitely has a LOT more options.  In Lumines you can open up new skins but that's about it; it's more of a straightforward puzzler along the lines of Tetris.  Meteos is just....wild.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2005, 09:01:34 AM »
"Lumines and Meteos are indeed both made by Mizuguchi."

WOW, that's a misleading statement.  More accurately, Masahiro Sakurai came to Mizuguchi (LOL Sakaguchi I love it!) with his idea and they pounded it out together.  Metoes was pure Mizuguchi, Meteos is Sakurai's brain child with Mizuguchi's advice/backing.  As I understand it, the creator of Kirby is still freelance.  That also means he could join back up with HAL for a year to work on a new Smash Bros. game.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2005, 09:03:38 AM »
"Metoes was pure Mizuguchi, Meteos is Sakurai's brain child with Mizuguchi's advice/backing."

I assume one of those "Meteos" is supposed to say "Lumines" because that makes no sense.

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2005, 03:15:30 PM »

Originally posted by: TheYoungerPlumber
"Lumines and Meteos are indeed both made by Mizuguchi."

WOW, that's a misleading statement.  More accurately, Masahiro Sakurai came to Mizuguchi (LOL Sakaguchi I love it!) with his idea and they pounded it out together.  Metoes was pure Mizuguchi, Meteos is Sakurai's brain child with Mizuguchi's advice/backing.  As I understand it, the creator of Kirby is still freelance.  That also means he could join back up with HAL for a year to work on a new Smash Bros. game.

Who is to say he aint behind the scenes there right now? =p
Nintendo is surely hard at work on a shiny new online Smash Brothers game, Aries or no....I'm sure they respect the ability of Mr. Sakurai to come up with fun gameplay ideas to add to the experience.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2005, 08:57:39 PM »
Oh hey yeah, brain fart.  Mizuguchi did Lumines. Sorry!

The real issue whether Sakurai would want to collaborate.  He has expressed distaste for sequelitous in the past, but has also expressed concern over the future of his fighting series.  Sounds like he'd be happy to at least supervise the next Smash Bros. game, but wants to avoid a position where he is PRESSURED to make a sequel or franchise spin-off (Kirby Air Ride, anyone).  
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi