Author Topic: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'  (Read 217290 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'
« Reply #475 on: August 21, 2009, 02:19:29 PM »

I think the wall would provide a much more stimulating conversation than anyone in the internet...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 22, 2009, 01:38:20 AM »
The brick wall is incapable of signing onto the NWR forums.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 22, 2009, 04:52:46 AM »

I think the wall would provide a much more stimulating conversation than anyone in the internet...

Well they do say the most complex conversations are the ones you have with yourself.

I actually miss that clown D_Average.  I hope he left the whole forum instead of just this thread.  He said he was already at two other communities, Malstrom's forum and Infendo, and got kicked out of both, and he thinks we're the kooks, and I'm apparently your leader.  But yeah, I miss him already.  By now he would have gone the full Godwin and called me the "Wii Hitler" or "Reggie's Lapdog" or something and continued to dodge the questions and points, and googled up some more psych terms and insults to toss around as they rattled around his head, hoping one would strike his walnut of a brain and make sense.

Oh shoot, the topic.  Uhhh... Five bucks says if the PS3 outsells the Wii on the next NPD, There will suddenly be a big deal made about it, like when the Ps3 sold more than the Wii for like 3 weeks in Japan and went back to sub-GC levels.  Another "media narrative," see?
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 22, 2009, 05:32:33 AM »
Uhhh... Five bucks says if the PS3 outsells the Wii on the next NPD

I sure hope it does!  If big-pricedrop + nicer/smaller/hardware + bigger-disk combined doesn't sell PS3s, there's basically no hope at all for Sony...

(personally, I just wanted to see them humbled a bit, not destroyed utterly)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 22, 2009, 07:27:19 AM »
It'll be a temporary boost but to keep sales up they need GAMES.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: August 22, 2009, 09:30:26 AM »
It does have games, though, it's just that for some reason people are clueless about them.

Personally, I found Sucker Puch overrated back on the PS2, but Infamous is very, very, very good. And I was fed up with the Ratchet and Clank "formula" after Going Commando, went into the next-gen version very reluctantly... and basically couldn't stop playing until I had beaten it twice. Then there's the tons of PSN titles.

Of cource, the fact that I don't have a 360 and play the multiplatform releases on PS3 plays into my perception that it has games...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 22, 2009, 10:09:51 AM »
It does have games, though, it's just that for some reason people are clueless about them.

Or more likely they don't care about the ones that are there.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 22, 2009, 11:15:11 AM »
Uhhh... Five bucks says if the PS3 outsells the Wii on the next NPD

I sure hope it does!  If big-pricedrop + nicer/smaller/hardware + bigger-disk combined doesn't sell PS3s, there's basically no hope at all for Sony...

(personally, I just wanted to see them humbled a bit, not destroyed utterly)

Lets hope the Slim does something, because Sony has no where to go but up in Japan at the moment.
Media Create: 8/10 - 8/16

X360 9,162
DSL 7,921
PS3 5,944
PS2 4,907

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 22, 2009, 12:37:40 PM »
Shouldn't everybody be posting stories about Sony being doomed because the 360 outsold the PS3 for once?

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 22, 2009, 12:39:14 PM »

Or more likely they don't care about the ones that are there.
And why don't they care? Because they're clueless about just how good the games really are.  ;)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 22, 2009, 05:57:45 PM »
I haven't listened to this yet, but it has generated alot of conversation in other places...

GT Podcast - Invisible Walls
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-71-invisible-walls/54781

enjoy. discuss.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 22, 2009, 06:26:47 PM »
I haven't listened to this yet, but it has generated alot of conversation in other places...

enjoy. discuss.

Yeah, I was going to post about that podcast but decided it wasn't really worth the effort.  They don't say anything that controversial anyway, except that they actually chide people who didn't buy the Conduit as if it was actually a game worth buying.  It's no secret that the gaming media in general is sick of the Wii, which they probably wouldn't be if Nintendo hadn't abandoned the console (from the perspective of a core gamer) to the 3rd parties 1 1/2 years ago with only Sega and a couple others keeping it alive.  This is just further fallout from last year's E3, so it's not surprising.  They'll probably be more favorable to it once Galaxy 2, Metroid other M, and Zelda come out.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 22, 2009, 08:46:18 PM »

enjoy. discuss.

Sigworthy:

Nintendo has dropped to an entry level video game..it's almost like the old you know toy "my first video game console;" that's where Nintendo is right now.

I would sit here and say everyone to stop buying the Wii, but they already have! The NPD report from last month ...the Wii only outsold the 360 by like 20,000 units--like, Nintendo, it's game over bro!

360 is truly about to pass them by.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 22, 2009, 09:58:33 PM »
More like 50,000 units.

And LOL! More "abandoning the core consumer" bullshit.  Seriously, Yawn.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 22, 2009, 10:02:12 PM »
More like 50,000 units.

And LOL! More "abandoning the core consumer" bull****.  Seriously, Yawn.

You can't argue with a straight face that Animal Crossing, Wii Music, etc. was marketed at us.  You can make an argument for Wario Land: Shake it but that's just about the only one.  And I didn't say they abandoned "us" in general, an important distinction.  I said they stopped releasing such games 1 1/2 years ago, and the games that will appeal to us are a long ways off.  You can't expect the game enthusiast media to fawn over products like Wii Music for 1 1/2 years.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 22, 2009, 10:04:02 PM »
How Pathetic.... They couldn't even get the facts from the NPD report right

NPD July 2009

Wii 252.5K
X360 202.9K

Looks more like a difference of 50k to me, which actually means that Nintendos "my 1st Videogame System" out sold the 360 by 25% in a down economy with a more expensive system. Far cry from Gameover bro.

thats not even looking at software sales.

WII - 4
NDS - 3
360 - 2
PS3 - 1

Nintendo Hardware = 7
Other Hardware = 3

::This post was supposed to happen 2 hours ago. I hate when I type somethig and then walk away only to realize 2 hours later that I never hit "post"::
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 10:06:43 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Elixir

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 22, 2009, 10:14:30 PM »
This is just further fallout from last year's E3, so it's not surprising.  They'll probably be more favorable to it once Galaxy 2, Metroid other M, and Zelda come out.

Not any more favorable than the gaming media has been to Nintendo, well, ever.  It all still narrows down to what is "cool and hip" and no matter how much effort Nintendo puts into creating "hardcore games," Wii Fit and Wii Music will still exist and thus drag Nintendo down.  If Nintendo got rid of those then the gaming media would just come up with another moronic label to follow the descent line behind "kiddy" and "casual."  The real irony is that this generation's obsession with 1080p and meaningless tripe as achievements/trophies has shown how pitiful "gamers" have become.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 22, 2009, 10:32:29 PM »
This is just further fallout from last year's E3, so it's not surprising.  They'll probably be more favorable to it once Galaxy 2, Metroid other M, and Zelda come out.

Not any more favorable than the gaming media has been to Nintendo, well, ever.  It all still narrows down to what is "cool and hip" and no matter how much effort Nintendo puts into creating "hardcore games," Wii Fit and Wii Music will still exist and thus drag Nintendo down.  If Nintendo got rid of those then the gaming media would just come up with another moronic label to follow the descent line behind "kiddy" and "casual."  The real irony is that this generation's obsession with 1080p and meaningless tripe as achievements/trophies has shown how pitiful "gamers" have become.

There's nothing wrong with 1080p and achievements/trophies in and of themselves.  I find trophies a pretty neat way to entice gamers to replay stuff they've already completed, like just recently when I went back to Prince of Persia to cool down after a straight week of Valkyria Chronicles.  I didn't feel like playing the entire game over again, but I was ok with spending a day or so collecting the remaining trophies and it was fun.  I don't understand the apparent obsession with collecting them (I'll collect them on my first playthrough if it doesn't inconvenience me too much), but they get a lot of undeserved flack.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 22, 2009, 10:35:25 PM »
If Nintendo got rid of those then the gaming media would just come up with another moronic label to follow the descent line behind "kiddy" and "casual."

All the more reason why I'm glad Nintendo mostly ignores the critics and just continues to do what they do best. Make fun and compelling software while always trying to innovate in the market.

The real irony is that this generation's obsession with 1080p and meaningless tripe as achievements/trophies has shown how pitiful "gamers" have become.

I got no issues with achievements/trophies/stamps(;)) , but it's hilarious at how many PS3 or 360 gamers have their 1080p box hooked up to a non-HDTV and the ones that do have it hooked up to the right TV aren't even using the correct cables.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 22, 2009, 11:03:24 PM »
I don't understand the apparent obsession with collecting them (I'll collect them on my first playthrough if it doesn't inconvenience me too much), but they get a lot of undeserved flack.

The people who deserve the flack are the ones I hear say they don't feel motivated to pick up, say, a Virtual Console game, or Valkyria Chronicles, or whatever, because of the lack of trophies/achievements.

In and of themselves they're a pretty good idea. It's the people obsessed with them that deserve to be ridiculed.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: August 22, 2009, 11:06:21 PM »
Achievements/trophies/stamps are no different then posting your accomplishments on the internet with a photo.

Videos are kind of iffy due to emulator crap. Still, setting your own goals is not that hard when playing a Nintendo game.

I just don't have the time right now. Attempted a Super Mario Bros. 3 score run on Grass Land and, if I remember correctly, got over 600K of points... that was a while ago though.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Elixir

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 22, 2009, 11:13:50 PM »
I personally have huge misgivings with achievements, but I was considering (as was mentioned by others before me) those that will refuse to get games based on the idea of achievements, those that use it to stroke their egos, and MS and Sony's condoning (with forced implementation) of said ego-stroking and flag-wagging.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 22, 2009, 11:22:33 PM »
Those are the people that play for the Gamer Score, since that seems to set your 1337 status on LIVE.

(1337 = Elite right?)

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 22, 2009, 11:44:57 PM »
Yeah but at this point isn't gamerscore pretty pointless?  I mean, say, as a new 360 user, you will NEVER be able to amount any sort of respectable total compared to the leaders, who mainly rent games to grind the score up anyway.  So what's the point?

I like the way Wii Sports Resort included them, as non-intrusively as possible.  Which is, surprisingly, the same way Smash Bros handles their "achievements" since 1999, via special "awards" for weird tasks handled during the match.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 22, 2009, 11:59:38 PM »
But at the same time it would be nice if i could attach my stamps/awards to my Mii that earned them and see all my accomplishments without having to load a game up.