Author Topic: Next Nintendo Console to be Announced in June?  (Read 32870 times)

Offline the_dan_x

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Next Door Gamer
Re: Next Nintendo Console to be Announced in June?
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2011, 03:37:17 AM »
And let's face it, the PS2 didn't get any good sports games, AT ALL, until the Dreamcast died and 2K started putting out games on the PS2.  EA Sports is mediocre at everything except a few of their FIFA games.

The time between the PS2 launch and the Dreamcast death was only, what, like a year or something in North America (a bit longer in Europe, I know)? The early EA games on the PS2 were pretty "meh" but they did get better. Madden wasn't bad on the PS2. There were also several games that came out other than FIFA games that were actually quite good such as Black, Burnout 3, The Godfather, SSX, and the Lord of the Rings games (based on the movies). Those games might not be classics, but most of them are definitely more than just mediocre. 

Back to your previous post, though, leahsdad, I'm a bit nervous if Nintendo goes the route of attracting the more hardcore crowd as well. If their new machine is super powerful and third parties flock to it, putting out huge AAA titles, I could see that subset of gamers coming to Nintendo or at least consider it. It's all just up in the air right now, but Nintendo kind of has an edge. Heh, I've forgotten how exciting it is to hear news about a new Nintendo console. I haven't felt this giddy since the "Revolution."
Danny Bivens
Japan Correspondent
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2011, 03:44:14 AM »
And let's face it, the PS2 didn't get any good sports games, AT ALL, until the Dreamcast died and 2K started putting out games on the PS2.  EA Sports is mediocre at everything except a few of their FIFA games.

The existence of MVP Baseball 2005 completely invalidates this statement.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline the_dan_x

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Next Door Gamer
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2011, 04:29:28 AM »
Wow, he did say EA Sports specifically, right? Apparently I don't know how to read.  :(

Though insanolord has a point. EA did pump out some pretty good sports games that generation.
Danny Bivens
Japan Correspondent
Nintendo World Report

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2011, 05:55:36 AM »
The most significant question still remains, the one that everyone tries to answer without much success: what will the hook be? That's how Nintendo makes all their systems now - there needs to be a hook that's unique, showy and simple to understand. For better or for worse, they are not about just upping the power.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2011, 06:44:43 AM »
This looks like it's going to be the greatest April Fool's joke of all time. The whole internet is believing it. I'm not. Nothing matches up. The facts are alll too hazy. People are just throwing in whatever they want to see in the system just to hype it up.

This isn't going to happen.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2011, 10:00:12 AM »
I want my next Nintendo console to be a Nintendo console, and not another PS360 hardcore console. 

I don't think that anyone would disagree with you. No one really buys Nintendo consoles for the hardware (because it's become mediocre over the last few generations), they buy it for the games. Still, I think everyone would like to see some variety beyond just Nintendo games like they've been stuck with since the 64. If nothing else, I'd like to have some place to play Mortal Kombat 9. :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2011, 10:27:55 AM »
This looks like it's going to be the greatest April Fool's joke of all time. The whole internet is believing it. I'm not. Nothing matches up. The facts are alll too hazy. People are just throwing in whatever they want to see in the system just to hype it up.

This isn't going to happen.

You should look back to the forum days of the  Revolution.  That was a fun time.

On the PS2 front I kid you not the only reason I had one was because my GF at the time, now my Wife, bought it for DDR and Kingdom Heart.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2011, 11:42:47 AM »
Obviosuly a lot has been posted already and I jsut kinda scrolled past everything. I've been hearing all kinds of crazy **** lately like that itll have 12 cores and HD screens on the controllers.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2011, 12:36:46 PM »
  I hate to say this but the PS2 really excelled at Fringe Tastes.  There was a game for about anything.

This is the key to a really great console.  You can be a fan of strictly one genre and find tons of games to play.  Nintendo has made some absolutely amazing games since the N64 but realistically Nintendo's style is only one niche.  If you're not interested, you're out of luck and if you want more than that, you're deprived.  The NES and SNES had that variety where you could be a big Nintendo fan and also like other stuff and you were set.  You also could have not been a Nintendo fan at all and still found tons to enjoy with those systems.

The greatest flaw with the Playstations has been that they don't have Nintendo.  Since 1996 it's like the elements of the NES and SNES have been split into two platforms and each one feels incomplete as a result.

Regarding Nintendo competing with Sony and MS - they always do.  They can act like they're not competing but that's a wad of ****.  Even if Nintendo was only interested in the casual market, Sony and MS are also interested as demonstrated with Move and Kinect.  Whether Nintendo wants it or not, Sony and MS will go after their customerbase.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2011, 01:14:48 PM »
It's the most wonderfull time of the generation! Anticipation for the next! Now how powerful does this thing have to be? Unless some games are trying to be photo realistic, will I really be able to see a step up in the graphical output? For Nintendo franchises hell yeah! But everything else? I guess I just can't see graphics getting any better. When I look at some PS360 games I almost feel like im looking at some CGI movie, in the vein of Toy Story or that dumb Final Final Fantasy movie,  I would be totally satisfied with that for a good long time even now. I don't know what opinions are like on the other ships but are people already asking for prettier games or is everyone more or less satisfied? 

EDIT
Golly I have terrible grammar.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:15:12 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline happyastoria

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2011, 01:23:54 PM »
It's the most wonderfull time of the generation! Anticipation for the next! Now how powerful does this thing have to be? Unless some games are tryiing to be photo realistic, will I really be able to see a step up in the praphical output? For Nintendo franchises hell yeah! But everything else? I guess I just can't see graphics getting any better. When I look at some PS360 games I almost feel like im looking at some CGI movie, in the vein of Toy Story or that dumb Final Final Fantasy movie,  I would be totally satisfied with that for a good long time even now. I don't what opinions are like on the other ships but are people already asking for prettier games or is everyone more or less satisfied? 

Go to every other website and they're mentioning how Nintendo will be behind, graphic wise, yet again! Really? I'm fine with the HD graphics of today. Plus, Nintendo games are about artistic style, not photorealism, but I guess the Nintendo hater always need something to bitch about, pathetic really.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2011, 01:35:31 PM »
Though some of those early Screenshots of Pikmin looked like they were going for Photorealism.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2011, 01:59:46 PM »
Realistically speaking, Sony (and as of late, Microsoft) have stated that they intend on supporting the PS3 & 360 for 10 years.  I could see Nintendo releasing their new console next year, riding that console until the PS4 & XBOX over9000 comes out, and then work on the next iteration. 

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2011, 02:13:04 PM »
Ten years of mainstream support is a pipedream. They may be able to continue selling the PS3 for ten years, but the PS4 will need to be in the spotlight long before then. It'll be a secondary market at best.

I hear a lot people say that there's not really anywhere to go as far as graphics are concerned. It looks "good enough" right now. Well, that's not true. Until computer generated graphics can mimic reality and look absolutely photo realistic, there's still places to go. Now, I'm not saying that I would necessarily trade that in for a unique art style, but it's naive to think that there's no advancement to be made. Even when we do hit that wall, processing power can then be dedicated to things that have been largely ignored, like better AI and physics. Remember, added power doesn't necessarily equate to more eye candy. There's plenty of stuff to utilize it for behind the scenes as well. Maybe today's graphics do look good enough, but it wouldn't hurt to have large, more open environments with hundreds of NPCs on screen at once... would it?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2011, 02:21:10 PM »
We are already hitting up to the Eerie valley.  The next gen consoles are not going to have enough power to push us across.  Better physics, better AI, better etc.  Would be possible with more power but I think a videogame console could take better advantage of a lot of cores because of those things.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2011, 02:32:39 PM »
I've been thinking about the name.  Why not just Nintendo Videogame System?  Then people would likely call just the "Nintendo" for short (or VGS to seperate it from the NES).

Regarding the future of videogame specs what I think of is the Massive program they used for the Lord of the Rings movies.  They had complex enough AI to have a whole army of dudes fighting and reacting based on what was going on around them.  To be able to have a battle of that scale with all these AI dudes while you, the player, are in the middle of it would be awesome.  We can't do that yet.  Graphics are pretty damn awesome now but we can do so much more with AI.

The way you can look at this gen is that nobody really had a complete package.  Nintendo was not making the hardware jump but went with this montion control stuff instead.  Sony and MS did the hardware jump but no motion control (though how could you expect them to anticipate that).  Sony and MS have introduced motion control options, thereby making their consoles "complete" and capable of matching the Wii in every way.  Nintendo now has to upgrade the hardware to match up and offer the complete package.  That can't really be done with an upgrade so they need a new console.  So think of it as a gen that was going to last ten years but every participant had to make an enhancement halfway.  Nintendo just did it in the opposite order of the others.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2011, 02:53:12 PM »
Then people would likely call just the "Nintendo" for short (or VGS to seperate it from the NES).

Sounds too similar to the VES and VCS.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2011, 03:15:58 PM »
What about AIDS?

That's a good name right?

Fits in with the DS brand perfectly.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2011, 03:22:45 PM »
I'm just gonna drop this here since I took the time to put it together;

Rumor Consolidation 2011

October 2010:
-Marvell QuadCore processors for new console - *This might have had something to do with Kinect, But I don't remember.
-IBM implies that Wii2 uses Cell based PPC

November 2010:
-Marvell Quad cores gets a large order: From large console manufacturer - *once again might be Kinect related.
-House of the Dead: Overkill 2 in the works 
-EA reviving NFL Blitz

December 2010:

January 2011:
-UltraViolet Media Cloud service coming to a console? - Most Likely Sony (if anyone) since Sony is a partner.
-New Pokemon game for Wii

February 2011:
-Wii2 announcement coming soon according to THQ

March 2011:
-Wii2 announcement coming soon according to EA

April 2011:
-Monster Hunter 3DS to be announced soon
-SSFIV3D connects to home console - Hint @ Wii2 from Capcom and 3DS -> Wii2 connectivity
-Wii price drop to $150 on May 15th
-Wii2 announcement @ E3: 1080p HD, More powerful than PS360, BC with Wii, release late 2012
-New Wii2 controller has HD screen built in
-Wii2 to use Bluray technology
-Wii2 actually aimed at early 2012 release (1st half 2012)
-Controller Screen is actually a Touch Screen
-Project Cafe: Wii2 Controller is a Tablet: 6" touch Screen on Controller, front facing camera & doubles as sensor bar for BC
-Dual Analogs, Streaming & Games Wii2 controller to rival 3DS, NGP, iPhone & iPad apparently
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:28:45 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline rad.i.kal

• View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2011, 03:34:21 PM »
Great time to be a nintendo fan, we will probably get rumors ever few weeks until June.

I will buy this console if the rumors are true.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2011, 03:43:07 PM »
Hmm, if I start putting away $10 a week, I should have more than enough by the time this thing comes out. I did the same kind of thing with 3DS.
As for the name, how about capitalizing on the 2012 world-ending prophecies? The nintendo Nostradamus? The Wii Oracle?

(Those are really terrible names, aren't they)
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2011, 04:05:16 PM »
As for the name, how about capitalizing on the 2012 world-ending prophecies? The nintendo Nostradamus? The Wii Oracle?

The Nintendo Nibiru? Nah, I think they should stay away from the pseudo-science bunk.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2011, 04:06:32 PM »
Hmm, if I start putting away $10 a week, I should have more than enough by the time this thing comes out. I did the same kind of thing with 3DS.

(Those are really terrible names, aren't they)

Yeah.  The Nos and the Wo.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2011, 04:08:08 PM »
They should call it the "N." Then they can release it in 2012 and say, "the N is near."
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2011, 04:09:16 PM »
IGN now reporting new console is called "project cafe" and has a gamecube-like controller with a built in 6 inch touchscreen that can stream content from the console

Boy, rumours sure are neato.
Oui, Mon Gars!