Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U)  (Read 363717 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U) Out now!
« Reply #1075 on: January 09, 2018, 04:44:01 PM »
I don't get how I can carry 100+ stacks of wood... but that extra sword is un-carryable.... WHY NINTENDO!!! WHY!!!! I really need that extra sword.... :(

I had to sacrifice my Fire Sword to beat a guardian because I ran out of weapons in the middle of the fight... bomb arrows to the rescue, but even those were in limited supply.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: January 09, 2018, 04:59:23 PM »
I don't get how I can carry 100+ stacks of wood... but that extra sword is un-carryable.... WHY NINTENDO!!! WHY!!!! I really need that extra sword.... :(

I had to sacrifice my Fire Sword to beat a guardian because I ran out of weapons in the middle of the fight... bomb arrows to the rescue, but even those were in limited supply.

In due time you'll have all kinds of extra inventory for more weapons. To help that, every time you run into something interesting or suspicious just turn on your stasis. Let that yellow wave cover everything and highlight what can be interacted with. Its such a great way to find Koroks.

I know some people will call me crazy but finding Koroks was probably my favorite part of the game. People complained so I'm sure next time around the equivalent will be far less but there is such an over abundance of them there really is no problem unless you are an absolute completionist. And if you are a completionist thats your own issue.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: January 09, 2018, 05:31:37 PM »

You need to practice parrying the Guardians lasers back at them, then you'll never have to worry about losing weapons against them ever again.  Well you'll lose shields if you don't hit it at the right time but once you get good at it even a crappy cooking pot shield can KO them.

Basically, right before the Guardians fire their lasers there's always that brief pause they make where you'll see the flash in their eye.  Literally right after that flash you want to parry and it'll always hit them.  Don't stand to far away or right up to them or it can mess up the timing.  About mid range and you should be good.

So yeah just find a stationary Guardian, save right before so if you lose all your shields while practicing you can just reload to do it again.  Plus the stationary ones die in one hit while the walking ones take 3 parry's to kill so wait until you've mastered it before taking them on.  At first it might seem tricky but after you get the timing down, you'll feel like the biggest bad ass in Hyrule.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: January 09, 2018, 09:45:40 PM »
Also once you get the Master Sword, you can destroy guardians easily. Sure, guardian weapons can do more damage, but the Master Sword can deal a lot of hits before it needs to be recharged...especially when it's near enemies controlled by Ganon. Pro tip: take out the legs one at a time, then kill the body. It's the easiest way to do it (aside from parrying), and you'll get more items.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1079 on: January 09, 2018, 11:25:33 PM »
There's a few stationary guardians on the Plateau that you can practice on.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: January 10, 2018, 12:01:10 AM »
I get destroyed by the Guardians in the fields.... I was fighting the ones in the strength challenges.
I have to learn that shield parry.... I tried it against a guardian in the field and it ended quickly and badly in every instance.

But I did find this Grown Up Korok thing that expanded my weapons inventory by 2. that's already been helpful. Also just ran across my first Zora (or three). I also just discovered the parry rush attack on accident. Not great at triggering it yet. But practice makes perfect.
At least now I know what I need to do.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: January 10, 2018, 02:50:27 PM »
The Ancient Horse armor feels ridiculously over powered and I absolutely love it.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: January 10, 2018, 07:06:26 PM »
The Ancient Horse armor feels ridiculously over powered and I absolutely love it.

What is this and despite thinking I've been everywhere and got everything, why do I know nothing of it?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: January 10, 2018, 09:07:42 PM »
It's part of the Champion's Ballad DLC pack.

The grown-up Koro is Hestu...the inventory increase does get more expensive...which encourages you to find more Korok seeds, for a while. But once you start getting awesome weapons and increase your inventory by maybe 3 slots each, you won't have the need. The timing with the parry against guardians is very much dependent upon your distance from them. It can be easier to start trying to get it down from far away, where you can parry immediately after the blast, and work your way to get close where you have to do it at the same time the actual blast starts. Also, when I was working on that skill, I would just make a save right next to a guardian (well, slightly at a distance) so I could keep practicing when I died.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:10:39 PM by BranDonk Kong »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: January 14, 2018, 12:07:01 AM »
Man, finding rupees out in the world is a slow and laborious process.

So I figured I exploit the gambling man for now....
I managed to save up ~$1500 rupees
but after winning 7 of the last 10 gambling attempts, I almost have enough to buy that house.

p.s. that's $1400 rupees gained in about 10-15 minutes
I think I'll do this for about another 15 or so and stack coins real quick.

edit: I quit after I got to $4200

but is there an easy way to beat these Igneo Talus creatures?
I've run into 3-4 of these giant fire rock monsters, and they absolutely destroy me with their meteors from hell. I can't find a good spot to chuck bombs at it from, so I assume I need to run circles around it and just home I don't get cratered?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:53:28 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: January 14, 2018, 11:38:07 AM »

Man, finding rupees out in the world is a slow and laborious process.

So I figured I exploit the gambling man for now....
I managed to save up ~$1500 rupees
but after winning 7 of the last 10 gambling attempts, I almost have enough to buy that house.

p.s. that's $1400 rupees gained in about 10-15 minutes
I think I'll do this for about another 15 or so and stack coins real quick.

edit: I quit after I got to $4200

I've run into 3-4 of these giant fire rock monsters, and they absolutely destroy me with their meteors from hell. I can't find a good spot to chuck bombs at it from, so I assume I need to run circles around it and just home I don't get cratered?

Not sure how direct of an answer you want... I don't think anything here is really spoiler-worthy, but just in case:

There are a couple of elemental weapons/wands available in the game.

One element is particularly effective against fire-based enemies, and makes the Igneo Talus a breeze to beat.

Find an ice wand and you'll be laughing.

There is an area just east of Hyrule Castle that has several large, hollow tree stumps. Inside the different stumps you can find one of each different magic enemies, which will drop the related wands for you to use. Great place to mark on your map since you can always go back and get more wands when needed.
NNID: ejamer

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: January 14, 2018, 12:11:20 PM »
Ice arrows and a powerful club will help too. And flamebreaker armor.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: January 14, 2018, 03:29:53 PM »
Find an ice wand and you'll be laughing.

There is an area just east of Hyrule Castle that has several large, hollow tree stumps. Inside the different stumps you can find one of each different magic enemies, which will drop the related wands for you to use. Great place to mark on your map since you can always go back and get more wands when needed.

This must be what the Minotaurs have.... reigning down ice bolts from above, can't even get run away from the damn creature and try to hide just out of sight. LOL I will have to go on that mission and find these wands.

But first I must find the korok forest and get more weapon and shield spaces.

I finally started taking out guardians, but it usually cost me a shield on the first attempt due to mis-timing. Still working on mastering that. Same with the multi-enemy parry/rush attack.

But another quick question.... I've been all over the southern and eastern parts of the map... not really sticking to any particular mission, but more making my own explorative expedition.
I wanted to finish the Goron area, but I can't get into the northen mine/vault area because it's too hot. Do I need to complete the firebreaker armor (don't have the pants or helmet) or would more temperature elixirs do the trick?

I've already wandered past that into the green fields behind Death mountain, because my endless ADD wandering never seems to stop (ooooh, what's that....!? I'm gonna climb this peak and glide over that way... then take the ground route back to complete this... OMG, what's that!!? I'm gonna go over there real quick and... oooh look what I found.... hey look at that... omg where am I... how did I get all the way over here... what was I doing again?)

p.s. I saw a long ass dragon in the sky somewhere. it looked like it went to the ground, but it was so far away. you don't have to tell me anything about it, I just wanted to share that this game is digital crack for questing and exploration. Best Zelda ever? I think it might be.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: January 14, 2018, 05:36:56 PM »
I got the armor so I didn't have to worry about it. Have you defeated some champion's beasts already?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:47:04 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: January 14, 2018, 07:08:20 PM »
nope.
there's the one crawling on the mountain, but I can't get the bridge down so that that I can get to it with out going to the vault.

But the fireproof pants cost money... which is why I sidetracked to the gambling man, then I was gonn use the money to buy the house, and then I sidetracked on a shrine which then led me to another shrine, and then a whole new area... and I haven't have back to the fire mountain again yet. LOL.
Just ran across the 2nd Giant Fairy. and some flying drone things.... but I think I'm gonna avoid those for now.

I'm really just enjoying the whole "you see it, you can go there" aspect of all this exploration. They don't force me to focus on any specific task to progress or enjoy the game.
Which gives me something else I enjoy, and that's coming across enemies that are obviously setup expecting you to follow the path of the game, but you came up the back side of the mountain, and SURPRISE BITCHES!!! didn't even see me take out your whole encampment, that I totally just stumbled upon by accident. LOL
I love this game.
I could have saved so much money had i only just purchased this game. nothing else gets any playtime (except the occasional NBA2k18, but only because it was a gift with the expectation that I learn the game so I can play against my friend)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: January 14, 2018, 08:17:53 PM »
Yes, Breath of the Wild is a fantastic example of organic exploration done right. But I'd advise you to enjoy the game at your own pace and not ask any questions or seek any information about it online- learn the systems and enemies of the game by yourself, and you'll enjoy it much more.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: January 14, 2018, 09:28:13 PM »
It's really fun reading BnM's journey after beating the game and all that (though not even close to 100%). It's funny that you call them Minotaurs...I assume that means you haven't gotten withing striking distance of one. Anywho - Flamebreaker armor and some potions will get you through the entire Goron City parts, if you want to. But, you should also get some heat protection armor too - Flamebreaker just makes you not catch on fire, it doesn't actually protect you against heat.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: January 15, 2018, 02:05:12 AM »
Ok, I'm gonna go buy the firebreaker pants and get some heat proof elixirs going and go actually finish something in this game. LOL

My last accomplishment was the tower in Akkala<?>, that section way on the right of the map... behind death mountain. Tried to fight the flying Guardian Drones with magnesis metal boxes.... that was not useful at all (I had no more shields, so deflecting lasers was not an option).... then I had to figure out how to climb the the tower with all that black/purple goop around it. I figure there is something you can do to maybe get rid of that stuff... but I've been shrine (& Korok) hunting, and that map in the tower helps me figure out where the **** I'm at.

I need to shift gears and complete a few more task and tackle a few more of the areas as a whole before moving on. but it's just so damn easy to just keep it moving. I chased a horse... which led me to a monster camp, and they gave me arrows, which led me to something in the distance that looked interesting (another korok?), then the shrine detector wouldn't shut up, and now I totally forgot what I was doing just before I saw that horse and tried to catch it.... oh look some apples!!! and a lizard... and a mushroom... I wonder if I can catch that buck and tame it this time.... I think I'll go climb that mountain and figure out where the hell I am now....

Is it just me? or does this game make everyone ADD?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: January 15, 2018, 08:58:01 AM »
Pretty much. That corrupted tower...pretty sure you just need extra stamina.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: January 15, 2018, 12:35:58 PM »
So before I went to bed last night, I faced off against a giant skeleton cyclops (no... I still didn't make it back to Death Mountain). Lucky for me, a lightning storm decided to start, so I tried to do something clever and use a metal object under the eye, and let the lightning do the work. This did not work.... so i used the metal spear with magnesis to try and stab it repeatedly in the eye... I got it jammed up in it's skull when suddenly all of it's life depleted.

I thought I beat it!!! that was easy!!!
but this too did not work. It had become daylight, so the creature went back underground. But I will be back at night to finish it off, hopefully without a lightning storm, which always happens at the most convenient times, much like rain in general. Like when I'm trying to light the blue flame challenge, and look rainstorm!! or I'm climbing a mountain, and rainstorm. or I only have metal weapons at the time and 3 enemies start coming at me.... LIGHTNING STORM!!!! Good times.... good times.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 06:24:36 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: January 15, 2018, 01:59:11 PM »
Stalnoxes are one of my favorite encounters in the game, next to rare Talus forms and Moldugas.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: January 15, 2018, 03:10:03 PM »
Yeah, Stallnox looks cool. I'm gonna laugh a little if you kill it at like 11:45 and then it's a blood moon and it comes right back. That's happened to me at some very inconvenient times.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: January 15, 2018, 06:33:05 PM »
Yeah, Stallnox looks cool. I'm gonna laugh a little if you kill it at like 11:45 and then it's a blood moon and it comes right back. That's happened to me at some very inconvenient times.

Oh gawd, I would be so pissed!!! I'm still working on aiming quicker with that bow on the flying slow down shot. Half the struggle is getting the glider out in a panic short jump with him closing in on me. But practice makes perfect... although I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with my controller, or is it all just user error. LOL

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: January 15, 2018, 09:03:41 PM »
Don't forget you can change camera sensitivity. I have mine set to high (but not very high). Pro tip for Hinox fights (don't think it works against Stallnox) - sneak up on them, get close to their head, and use a charged attack with as much stamina as you can, while moving towards them so you don't waste any swings. Just be careful not to get smashed when it realizes what you're doing. But you can easily get rid of like 3/4 of its health this way, if not more.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: January 16, 2018, 04:59:42 AM »
nice pro-tip. I usually sneak up on them, but was not using the charged up attack. I'll do that next time and shorten the fight by a good 5 mminutes.

But I just discovered a trick I'm sure all of you already know. I was climbing Death Mountain after finishing the divine beast, and I was running out of stamina, so I would get to a slope that was not too steep (but too steep to stand) and run to the side, it usually works just long enough to recharge my stamina so I can keep climbing.

and WTF is a Blupee!? I finally got a pic of this damn thing, even ran up on it and bumped up against it trying to catch it or something, but I didn't want to kill it.... it disappeared. again.

and should I buy the Stealth suit? I assume I'll want to own it at some point, and upgrade it like everything else so far.... But I think I'm gonna side track from questing and go do this house thing. I don't want to spend $!800 on a stealth suit, and I still need $2k for the Firebreaker helmet.
I'm gonna go drop $3k on this house before I spend it on other random crap.

p.s. Will I really need most of this ore? I've been mining the crap out of the mountainside already
I currently have:
Amber x230
Opal x52
Luminous Stone x92
Topaz x36
Ruby x23
Sapphire x22
Diamond x3

surely I can sell off like 75 of those ambers for cash, right?
I mean, I haven't even expored the left half of the map... nor most of the middle.

oh, and I ran into that grown Korok, but I had about 75 korok seeds with me, so I was more than ready!! too bad I only got 5 upgrades.

and I took on that Bonecliops again. lucky for him that 5am clock struck and he went back in his hole in the ground. Sucks though as I had him right at about 1/4 life left, and now I've wasted precious arrows.