Author Topic: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'  (Read 217443 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'
« Reply #750 on: December 15, 2009, 11:54:24 AM »
I think achievements are cool, and would love for people to have seen my ultimate Jungle Beat scores for the cube. But it's not making or breaking me by any means.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: December 15, 2009, 12:01:21 PM »
I would say achievements are about as innovative as motion controls.  But I say that as a slam on motion controls as opposed to praise for achievements.  I think both are lame and overrated and this generation will be remembered as a weak period and somewhat of a joke by gamers ten years from now.  But motion control does have potential to be great and to truly change videogames in a much bigger way than attracting non-gamers to Nintendo and achievements really doesn't.  That concept has pretty much reached its peak in what it even can do.

IGN though is clearly trying to stir **** up though... or they're become detached from typical gamers because they themselves get everything for free so they focus on weird nitpicky details instead of the big picture "is this game worth paying $50 for?"

I actually would like Nintendo to avoid achievements.  I find it annoying to be playing an old game and some stupid message box pops up in the middle of it.  It's something I find annoying at worst and completely uninteresting at best.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: December 15, 2009, 12:19:07 PM »
How dare IGN to have such a frank opinion!  Last time I visit their site. If only Malstrom wouldn't have summarized that podcast. I would have never known such hateful trolls lurked in the shadows, baiting me to feed them with page views.  I thought Sean hated those guys. Why does he keep digesting their content? Nothing makes sense anymore. 
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #753 on: December 15, 2009, 12:49:31 PM »
Would you of rather had me link to this thread D_Average?

Same things but Malstrom is easier to read.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 15, 2009, 12:56:42 PM »
We've already considered IGN the germ-ridden hell hole of gaming media, why the hell should this even bother us? In fact, most of that rant is akin to random barnyard animal noises.

Seriously, if I want achievements in the game, I want to get something in return. SSBB/SSBM did this amazingly well, and in Wario Land Wii, getting the achievements unlocked music (and some other things...I think).

IGN media troll live under rocks, it seems.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #755 on: December 15, 2009, 02:02:38 PM »
@Maxi

I just find it curious the Malstrom spends so much time reading, watching, listening, and blogging about the "trolls" he says are worthless. Where does he find the time to do all that? It probably doesn't  leave much time to actually play with his Wii.

Maybe if the Wii had achievements he'd be a bit more motivated to actually play it.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #756 on: December 15, 2009, 02:34:22 PM »
Well as you likely know he is a old school gamer. So he likes games that reflect that time. He doesn't really mention what he is playing that much because he feels that it is likely not that important in comparison to his articles and such.

As far as achievements and the Wii in regards to Malstrom goes I feel I can't speak on his behalf. Go send him an e-mail D_Average.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 15, 2009, 03:13:46 PM »
Maybe if the Wii had achievements he'd be a bit more motivated to actually play it.

But it does have achievements.  Even IGN admits this but they qualify it with "But they don't go beyond the game."  I thought achievements WERE those little flash up boy scout badges.  Apparently it's the linking to a social network site or some online profile that matters, even though most gamers, in general, don't care about achievements, as evidenced by the continued dominance and high sales of games without them.  But even so, Wii has achievements...  and so did the GC for that matter. (SSBM)  And they actually... unlocked something instead of a little logo, and some worthless points on Facebook or something.  Extra content > Boy Scout Badge.

How dare IGN to have such a frank opinion!  Last time I visit their site.

So is anybody else allowed to have frank opinions about IGN?  They haven't been relevant since they chose the PSP.  Ever since then there's been this strange feeling like they have an ax to grind for being wrong and they didn't want to man up and blame themselves for having the wrong analysis.  They'd rather blame the geek who got 98 on his test because it assuages their own responsibility.  And besides, they did this kind of "doom and gloom" podcast crap before about the DS in 2005.  I sure they thought it would be relevant later at the time though, which is cute.

I just find it curious the Malstrom spends so much time reading, watching, listening, and blogging about the "trolls" he says are worthless. Where does he find the time to do all that? It probably doesn't  leave much time to actually play with his Wii.

So what was IGN bored too when they decided to make this ill-conceived troll of the Wii and its owners? ("Brainwashed?")  Standards, you have double the normal amount.

As far as achievements and the Wii in regards to Malstrom goes I feel I can't speak on his behalf. Go send him an e-mail D_Average.

I know apparently its bad for Malstrom to waste him time talking about IGN, or for IGN to troll the Wii, but he can take on "Forum Guy" for free!  Maybe he has triple the normal amount.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 03:47:37 PM by Deguello »
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #758 on: December 15, 2009, 03:53:58 PM »
So achievements are pointless but SSBM rules for including them first?  Strange.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: December 15, 2009, 03:59:15 PM »
SSBM rules but not for whatever achievement-like qualities it had.

Stop nit-picking each other's statements and focus on the big-picture.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: December 15, 2009, 04:07:56 PM »
So achievements are pointless but SSBM rules for including them first?  Strange.

I don't even want to know how you came up with this, but you obviously didn't read it so I'm just thinking you're trying to troll me.  As such, I will not participate.

Special note for non-trolls: Anybody who passed elementary school could have clearly read that I stated that SSBM's "achievement system" actually unlocked extra game content and modern achievement systems just flash a badge or give you worthless points for an already worthless online profile.  Plus de choses en jeux, ce sont mieux que des badges.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 04:09:44 PM by Deguello »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: December 15, 2009, 04:54:03 PM »
I thought achievements WERE those little flash up boy scout badges. Apparently it's the linking to a social network site or some onlineprofile that matters

So it's just e-peen stuff they're going on about?  **** me.

I think IGN has an axe to grind with the Wii because they probably actually don't like it very much.  But they're the Nintendo guys and it's their job to cover the Nintendo console.  So they're stuck.  I think Nintendo are a bunch of sell-outs.  If it was my job to cover them for a web site, and I used to enjoy my job, I would be pretty PO'ed that my dream job turned into a chore because Nintendo changed into something I don't care for.

There's a key difference though between me bitching about Nintendo hanging their fans out to dry on a forum and paid professionals doing it on the site they work for.  There's a conflict of interest between expressing your true thoughts and maintaining a level of professionalism.  I think you have a responsibility to pick your battles.  Save the bitchfest for something big that affects everyone (like say no new games coming out for like 8 months at a time) instead of just your own personal pet peeves.  Otherwise report Nintendo news in a non-biased manner and give fair reviews.

Overall though I do think Nintendo deserves most of the criticism aimed at them.  The gaming media SHOULD hate them but should have the maturity to present that in a more professional way.  It doesn't help that in the past most of them seemed strongly biased against Nintendo for superficial reasons and now that they have a legitimate gripe they look like jackasses for crying wolf.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #762 on: December 15, 2009, 05:07:02 PM »
Extra content?  Lol. It was just locked.  Games with DLC aren't getting smaller. How many years have we been playing Burnout Paradise now??

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: December 15, 2009, 05:34:42 PM »
I do think it's worth noting where the podcast is concerned that IGN has lately been retooling its employee structure, so teams that were formerly locked to various consoles are now interacting openly with one another.  This particular episode of Nintendo Voice Chat only had what sounds like 1 normal member of the Nintendo team with what sounds like two people from the PlayStation 3 team, so it's not surprising how openly anti-Nintendo this episode was (if you ever listen to Podcast Beyond, the PS3 podcast, you know that the Wii is a running gag on that show).  Damen Hatfield, one of the more vocal people on the episode, is notable for declaring after this year's E3 that "the Wii is stupid", so I'm kind of surprised he was even brought on for this episode.  I get the feeling this won't be the last time we see IGN articles in this thread because of this new "loose" team structure.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 05:37:32 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #764 on: December 15, 2009, 05:57:18 PM »
The new operating procedure will be to link to sites that link to IGN, never to IGN directly.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: December 15, 2009, 06:31:04 PM »
Extra content?  Lol. It was just locked.  Games with DLC aren't getting smaller.

Yes, it is extra content.  Content not available on start-up.  Unlocking via "achievement" is a lot better than unlocking via paying somebody.  Now you're gonna reply that some games do actually have DLC as in Content that is downloaded as opposed to just paying for "keys" to unlock content already on the disc.  But can the average layman or even experienced gamer even tell the difference?  How can one tell if one isn't simply paying for something already on the disc?

And as for games getting smaller, some are.  Like moving alternate colors for Street Fighter IV to the DLC to buy.  The privilege once received by pressing R on the SNES controller during fighter select is now on a fee-based system.  That's madness.  Furthermore, game length or "largeness" is pretty subjective, and if we are going by just "game length by hours" Pokemon is probably the largest game of all time, because gamers have poured more time into that game than any other.

But again, I digress, as I have already put too much thought into this without mutual reciprocity.

How many years have we been playing Burnout Paradise now??

Uhm, Zero?  Way less than Mario Kart Wii?  Mario Kart DS?

Are you trying to become a parody of yourself or something?  That game bombed and DLC didn't save it.  Made something like the majority of its sales after it sank to $20 (despite still charging $60 for a digital version at first.  Go Digital Distribution!) and after it got bundled to death.

EDIT:

It doesn't help that in the past most of them seemed strongly biasedagainst Nintendo for superficial reasons and now that they have alegitimate gripe they look like jackasses for crying wolf.

This little snippet of Ian's post is ironic on so many levels and IGN should feel so damaged that Ian has said it about them that they should hang their heads in shame.  I thought a new, good, popular 2D Mario on consoles would lighten the mood, but nope, still sell-outs, eh?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:47:03 PM by Deguello »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #766 on: December 15, 2009, 06:41:52 PM »
The new operating procedure will be to link to sites that link to IGN, never to IGN directly.
Yep that is what I'm going to do.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: December 15, 2009, 06:48:16 PM »
Has anyone brought up the point that if the Wii "needed" achievements then it wouldn't have sold so well?

Also, does anyone else find it funny that an article explaining that poor games need to give an incentive to be played is posted right after an article which says Nintendo doesn't put effort into their games?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #768 on: December 15, 2009, 07:32:27 PM »
Yeah I think Deguello brought it up a few times.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: December 15, 2009, 07:59:05 PM »
Honestly, I believe there were a lot of valid criticisms on the IGN podcast, despite the flippant delivery.  We're seeing a ton of old games redone with flawed controls, the online system is a mess, and it would be nice if Nintendo swallowed their pride like Sony did and offered an achievement system for those that like it (if you don't like them, change the settings on your system).

But, I am obviously the minority in that group.  It seems any article the critiques the Wii ends up in this thread and is immediately declared a troll.  Obviously, no system is perfect, so can anyone here point me to an article that strongly critiques the Wii in a non "pathetic" manner?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: December 15, 2009, 08:16:22 PM »
Man, i remember the days before SSBM when I'd spend hours achieving every gap in every level of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3, because I wanted to (since the list was sitting there.. mocking me).
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: December 15, 2009, 08:22:20 PM »
But, I am obviously the minority in that group.  It seems any article the critiques the Wii ends up in this thread and is immediately declared a troll.  Obviously, no system is perfect, so can anyone here point me to an article that strongly critiques the Wii in a non "pathetic" manner?

I've not watched the podcast (and have no intention of doing so), but remember that peoples' judgement is based on more than just the immediate artifact -- these things don't exist in a vacuum.  In IGN's case, we've all seen them behaving like grade-school kids with unusually large amounts of facial hair for many years, with the "nintendo guys" constantly acting like they were forced by management into covering the wii when they'd reallllly rather  being hanging with the big kids (wait, we're not kids!!!) and play awesome muscled dudez on the xbox, not a system for babies like the wii!!!1!

It's like the comic-book guy on the Simpsons -- it's not that he's always wrong, strictly speaking, it's that he's an annoying **** who constantly twists the truth to support his silly and banal agenda...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 09:02:50 PM by mac<censored> »

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: December 15, 2009, 08:52:46 PM »
Wost. Podcast. Ever. (?)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:55:46 PM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: December 15, 2009, 09:23:11 PM »

Sometimes being the minority means you are wrong, like the Flat Earthers or the gold-bug people.

Amazingly, there are several on your most hated enemy's website, that of Sean Malstrom.  He critiques the Wii quite a bit (also please note, "critique" does not mean "Nintendo fans are brainwashed."  That's ad homenim, and I think we've discussed this before.)  But they may not be the grist for that "Wii is for babiez and casualz and fanbois" addiction you're looking for.

it would be nice if Nintendo swallowed their pride like Sony did andoffered an achievement system for those that like it (if you don't likethem, change the settings on your system).

We are talking about the $600 PS3 and Increased-price, less-functionality, ownership-eliminating PSPGo Sony, right?  Sony's not necessarily "swallowing their pride" as much as you would like others to think.  But buying that perception from their fans isn't cheap.  It's basically cost them almost all the money they've ever made in video games.

Hell Sega had more money when they left than Sony's game division does now.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 09:27:17 PM by Deguello »