Author Topic: Super Mario 3D Land Impressions  (Read 7906 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Super Mario 3D Land Impressions
« on: October 06, 2011, 11:14:11 AM »

We take a romp through the first three worlds.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/28014

Nintendo gave me another go at Super Mario 3D Land yesterday, where I was able to play most of the first three worlds. Starting off, with the story, a rainstorm is seen tearing leaves from a tree. After the storm is over, Mario and Toads arrive at the now-barren tree, which is revealed as the source of the tail-granting Super Leaves, complete with its own wooden tail. Nearby, they find an envelope. Inside is a picture of Bowser holding Peach captive, along with many of the leaves that blew from the tree. Completing the no-nonsense introduction, Mario immediately runs to World 1-1 and the game begins.

While 3D Land feels closest to the Galaxy games, it takes a lot of hints from previous games, particularly Super Mario Bros. 3, with contributions from pretty much all of the mainline Mario games. The levels seamlessly mesh all of these elements, as well as providing its own new spin. The levels are simply well-crafted, and while the game packs in tons of different enemies, platforms, and situations, it all blends together so well. All of the level types you might expect, above ground, underground, underwater, desert, athletic, ice, castles, Doom ships, cloud heaven, etc., are well-represented. Within levels, there are many micro challenges, such as collecting six red coins or a collection of notes in a limited time. Yet, the game never takes itself too seriously. In the first stage, Mario can find Toad by using binoculars. Toad tries to show Mario how to jump to the flagpole -- and fails miserably.

The game's key element is 3D. Super Mario 3D Land will set the new bar for 3D experiences on the 3DS. The expert camera design puts Mario in a number of perspectives, including side-scrolling, isometric, behind-the-back, and looking down from overhead. The obstacle courses in particular make use of the overhead view, making things like traversing Donut Lifts, rail lifts, and flip panels nerve racking. Those who can't see 3D can still use other cues like shadows to navigate (good thing it's always noon in the Mushroom Kingdom). Certain rooms are specifically designed to deceive you if viewed in 2D. A 3D label appears on screen to let players know of these up-front. You can step on an eye tile to tilt the room, or use the camera tilt feature.

Mario's Tanooki suit behaves very differently in this game compared to its original appearance. While you can't fly or turn into a statue, even gliding works more like Super Mario World's cape -- you only have to hold down a button. Coupled with the Propeller Block and Mario's newer powers like wall-jumping, Mario is still quite powerful. Wooden wheels appear in some stages, which when tail-attacked, will make its platform rise into the air to reach hidden areas.

The first three worlds didn't give me any trouble at all. I ended up with about 75 extra lives and found all of the hidden medals, but hopefully the later levels will provide more challenge. For those who do need help, Nintendo doesn't provide a Super Guide this time, but help is still available. If you die in a stage five times, an Invincible Leaf block appears, granting Mario an invincible white Tanooki suit. After ten deaths, a P-Wing block appears, which after activated, will warp you directly to the flagpole. These aids do not seem to appear once the level is cleared. And while the stages are timed, there are a number of stopwatch items found in the levels that extend your stay.

Even without ideas such as Galaxy's gravity mechanic, Nintendo proves that platformers are alive and well, and again Mario is at their forefront. The game design is chock full of creativity that makes you want to explore every nook and cranny, and I am looking forward to experiencing more of it.

Check here for my earlier impressions. Also, check out 75 new screenshots. And new artwork is here, including a female Boom-Boom and Tanooki Luigi statue!

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario 3D Land Impressions
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 11:40:19 AM »
"The expert camera design..."
This brings two questions to mine:

Is it vastly different than the original impressions?
or
Can you afford a new house now?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 11:49:19 AM »
Yes, as indicated in my previous impressions, it's been tuned a lot better than when I first played it. Also, my original run was done in the sun, which seems to interfere with the 3D effect. That isn't to say that it won't take a bit of time to get used to it, but I was able to jump right in this time. And actually, I think it wasn't the camera so much as the Circle Pad that was tuned to be more forgiving.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 11:58:45 AM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 11:53:09 AM »
That's good to hear.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 12:02:38 PM »
Okay, I dig that isometric screenshot.  Gives me a Super Mario RPG vibe.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 12:03:56 PM »
Then you should really like this one:
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 12:05:23 PM »
That's Awesome.  Please say you have a 3D version of that picture for my 3DS.  Go Go Escher.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 12:11:29 PM »
Actually, yes. Go here.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 12:28:22 PM »
Awesome. Well, to my knowledge, this comes out in Europe on the same day as Skyward Sword. What a day that will be - and it's jammed in the middle of November, the busiest month of the year by far. Good times are on the way...
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 02:48:39 PM »
Glad to hear that the game has been pulling together well, I know a few questioned it back during E3. Sounds like Nintendo, like usual, listened to people's complaints regarding the camera and improved it. Really excited to play it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline KITT 10K

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 03:45:58 PM »
I can't wait for this game. I wish the levels weren't timed so I could spend as much time in a level as I would like, but I still want the game BADLY. (TWO questionS, will this have a "mini game" area in the main menu like with New Super Mario Bros. DS and Mario 64Bros DS and will Luigi be a playable character like he was in New Super Mario Bros. DS?)

Offline Ras

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 05:33:33 PM »
I'm glad to hear the comparisons to Galaxy.  A lot of the previews have made it seem like it feels closer to NSMB than SMG.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 05:35:02 PM »
I'm glad to hear the comparisons to Galaxy.  A lot of the previews have made it seem like it feels closer to NSMB than SMG.
NSMB needs to burn.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 09:10:27 PM »
This game seems like the NSMB concept except done by EAD Tokyo, and as I said last night while recording a segment for this week's Connectivity, EAD Tokyo can do no wrong.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 09:23:57 PM »
I'd argue it's more of a Galaxy concept distilled down to its platforming, and with as many throwbacks stuffed in as possible. Or perhaps NSMB taken from more of a SMB3 mindset.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 10:17:36 PM »
I'd argue it's more of a Galaxy concept distilled down to its platforming, and with as many throwbacks stuffed in as possible. Or perhaps NSMB taken from more of a SMB3 mindset.

Both of those sound awesome.

I cannot wait to play this. I declared it my Game of the Year in the staff chat room during the E3 press conference when it was announced, and based on these impressions I'm very confident it will live up to that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ailingforale

• View Profile
    • The Video Game Backlog
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 09:16:49 AM »
I'm in the same boat, I am really excited for this game.  I sold someone on the idea of the 3DS the other day showing the gameplay footage of this game on my 3DS.
TheVideoGameBacklog.com

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 08:12:50 PM »
you can view some mario 3d land  pictures in 3d via the 3ds web browser:

http://3dporch.com/users/adv2k169

I downloaded them off the Japan Nintendo website, than got the mpo file and posted them here, so it does look nice in 3d  . You can also see other 3d pictures I have posted  :cool; 

Offline qwerty1098

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 08:23:28 PM »
has anyone else noticed in the new art big picture thing it shows stone tanooki suithttp://www.nintendoworldreport.com/media/25570/4