Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Review  (Read 24807 times)

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Review
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2014, 01:32:47 AM »
That is your opinion, some people look at the whole product not individual pieces. Look at Star Wars, as a whole it is an awesome product but putting Jar Jar Binks into Phantom Menace tainted that film, the movie is less enjoyable because he is in it and even though you can mute it and fast forward the parts he is in you can't unwatch this terrible performance nearly ruin Star Wars for an entire generation. So yes you can judge the whole product if it includes something you think is distracting and taken into consideration that development of said distraction took away from development of additional costumes, characters, stages, or modes people asked for, then YES it is a valid reason to dock the game a point.
That is the stupidest comparison I've ever heard. Yes Jar Jar sucked and made those movies worse, but I have to choose to play smash tour and many people never will, but when I saw that movie in the theater I didn't get to choose which characters to watch and which ones to not see and hear

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2014, 01:36:09 AM »
Adding an extra mode should never hurt a score unless you're somehow required to play it

If you want to unlock all the stages, you are required to play it at least 3 times (once for each board).

This is actually a legitimate point.

It wouldn't hurt my personal score because I'm not a completionest like that so it wasn't a thought that crossed my mind, but I can certainly see how that could affect the score for some people

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2014, 01:36:39 AM »
I get where Movie_Fan is coming from, but I watch Star Wars through my hands.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2014, 11:53:57 AM »
Wow Neal. A 9.5? Really? Scoring a Smash Bros. game this low just reeks of clickbait. I'm honestly a bit disappointed in this site right now, I'm just waiting for another staff member to give it a 9.5 too and I'll be leaving this place for good.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2014, 12:52:38 PM »
I am looking forward to the 20 new accounts that will come on here and argue that it deserved a 10. Because this is just being done to lower the metacritic score. This is a Nintendo site and should have given it a 10, just because.

So would Smash Tour be better if it was fixed or if it was just trashed and replaced by something else.?
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2014, 01:46:20 PM »
So would Smash Tour be better if it was fixed or if it was just trashed and replaced by something else?
I'd rather it be trashed and replaced with something else. The idea of Smash Tour isn't that interesting to begin with. In Mario Party, you play a variety of mini-games. In Smash Tour, you play special matches and if I wanted to do that, I could do so very easily without dealing with the board game part. It's isn't a good or different enough distraction from the regular Smash matches to be worth the trouble.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2014, 04:17:34 PM »
The more I think about it the more I think 9.5 is generous.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2014, 04:45:31 PM »
So would Smash Tour be better if it was fixed or if it was just trashed and replaced by something else?
I'd rather it be trashed and replaced with something else. The idea of Smash Tour isn't that interesting to begin with. In Mario Party, you play a variety of mini-games. In Smash Tour, you play special matches and if I wanted to do that, I could do so very easily without dealing with the board game part. It's isn't a good or different enough distraction from the regular Smash matches to be worth the trouble.

Not to mention, the board game section is completely ****ing pointless anyway because it's actually in your best interests to enter the final battle with the fewest number of fighters because of how the final match is scored. Because it only counts kills, not deaths, if you only have 1 fighter and your opponent has 5, you only have to kill your opponent twice to win the match. Meanwhile, he can get at most 1 point off you. It's very badly scored.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2014, 05:42:19 PM »
You should have given this game a 10, it needs to sell Wii U systems.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2014, 05:58:50 PM »
So Smash Tour basically is a) pointless and b) badly designed. Yeah, that sounds like garbage. Maybe could be salvaged if the mini game idea was applied differently, but they won't do it.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2014, 06:11:34 PM »
You should have given this game a 10, it needs to sell Wii U systems.

Total clickbate.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2014, 07:21:54 PM »
8.5/10 for me. The online is better, but still pretty broken at times. If a player joins your room with a crappy internet connection (red circle) your match is ruined. The result is either constant lag spikes or a straight up slow-motion match. It's pretty terrible when it happens and makes your match unplayable.  I'm docking a point for that right out of the gate.  It's 2014. Nintendo needs to do better. This stuff was ironed out a decade ago.

I haven't touched single-player but from what I'm reading I'm docking a half-point for that being likely underwhelming.

It's a really good game though. If you want Smash stupidity an out-and-out fan service it does not disappoint. It's the best game on Wii U by a long shot.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2014, 07:29:03 PM »
Back of the box quote: "As good as The Conduit." - Jon Lindemann, Nintendo World Report.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2014, 07:38:23 PM »
Back of the box quote: "As good as The Conduit." - Jon Lindemann, Nintendo World Report.

You laugh, but that's another game that made good use of it's console's features but had horribly broken online.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2014, 07:41:42 PM »
This might be grounds for a separate topic, but, can the online really run any better than what they've made? Not that I'm an expert, but, Smash Bros seems like a more complex online game than anything else out there. Unlike games like Mario Kart and Call of Duty and all those, Smash Bros has to actually synchronize every little thing, they can't just do the extrapolating position data thing that most other online games do.

I think the only other online games that work like this are other fighting games, which I believe also encounter the same issues when people don't have a good connection. But even in that case, Smash Bros has way more stuff to synch up, such as 4 fighters as a time, their projectiles, all the items that can appear, the crazy stage hazards, etc. It's a lot of stuff to synch, at a goal of 60fps no less.

I'd be interested in hearing about this subject from someone who actually knows how this stuff works, because I'm wondering if there really is something they could have done to compensate for bad connections to make the online run more smoothly, or if it really does need to be reliant on good connections.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2014, 10:30:30 PM »
I think you would need a dedicated server to get those issues hammered out versus being a peer-to-peer match making system where one of the actual systems is a "host" for the game.

Maybe Smash 5 could have premium "For Glory" servers set up for a fee. Those are the people who would care most about lag and performance issues.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2014, 11:31:14 PM »
Maybe Smash 5 could have premium "For Glory" servers set up for a fee. Those are the people who would care most about lag and performance issues.

i actually like this idea!
Of course you would have cheap-skate pro players who just stayed on the For Fun servers destroying everyone('s enjoyment)
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2014, 11:57:55 PM »

i actually like this idea!
Of course you would have cheap-skate pro players who just stayed on the For Fun servers destroying everyone('s enjoyment)

The funny thing is the For Glory online is the one that actually works really good.  I've played both For Fun and For Glory and the majority of all online issues I've seen are in the For Fun matches since the things like items and transforming stages are what become too much for some connections to handle.  Since For Glory matches are No Items on flat static stages, they're less of an issue resulting in the 1 on 1 matches being really smooth.

So the people who would actually be willing to pay for better online servers, have no reason too since their way of playing Smash Bros online isn't the one that suffers from problems.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai