Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1192214 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #3075 on: November 20, 2014, 06:43:00 PM »
I think the story overall was interesting.  I liked the idea of Barry dealing with a childhood Bully that now has powers.  It is extremely cliche, but it works, because it shows Barry needs to remember he has limitations.  This show is basically what Smallville should have been. 

The punch is also acceptable for television budget up until the impact.  His opponent is not fixed to the floor. The force alone should have knocked him back.  He should have flew into the lockers and dented them and be knocked out cold.  Then Barry could have confidently said.  "I beat you."

However, this is a problem if Hollywood.  It has been set up for ages now, a woman can not "just" be held hostage and be helpless anymore.  She needs the hero to save her, but she will ALWAYS end up saving him in the process.  So that the writers can show the girl as strong and not needing help.  This is an extreme example of such a situation, made worse because the writers didn't fully explain his powers well.  I guess Barry's punch knocked him hard enough that he went out of his metal state...but then Iris said she almost broke her hand too...so confusing.

At any rate...it is not the worst television, but it was a blight on an otherwise good start to a show.  However, it is beginning to show the formula of the show, and hopefully they are careful to break the mold.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: November 21, 2014, 11:52:54 AM »
I guess Barry's punch knocked him hard enough that he went out of his metal state...but then Iris said she almost broke her hand too...so confusing.
Well you don't need to have powers for someone to break there hands hitting your jaw.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: November 21, 2014, 11:59:28 AM »
I doubt she is skilled at boxing (like NewLaurel), so she may have just clenched her fist as tight as she could (or not at all) and swung for the fences.

I think it worked out perfectly and made sense.
what didn't make sense is the right hand wind up with a left hand punch. Seeing that scene gif'd on repeat just ruins that whole scene for me.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: November 21, 2014, 12:45:35 PM »
I doubt she is skilled at boxing (like NewLaurel),
The last time I saw Laurel "Box" on Arrow.  I'm fairly sure I'm more skilled still from my fews years of Karate from Grade School.  Though I haven't watched the newest episode.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: November 21, 2014, 01:23:42 PM »
she wasn't in the most recent episode.

But she is currently training with YoungWildCat, so NewLaurel will be a better boxer than OldLaurel was a self-defenser.

But I bet Iris punches harder than Barry, minus any "meta-human" advantage.
Old Laurel would probably kick both of their asses though, before she got home and realized that Wells had broken into her apartment and was waiting for her.... gun in hand, no wheelchair in sight.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: November 21, 2014, 01:41:08 PM »
Man Laurel apartment might as well had been a convenience store for how secure it is.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: November 21, 2014, 03:03:57 PM »
Person of Interest: Martine just turned into The Terminator for about 60 seconds. And it. was. glorious.

Are you talking about the prison scene or the bar scene? Either way, it was her best showing yet. I liked it more than the Root/Martine hotel fight a couple episodes ago. It took me a moment to place the actress when she first appeared but then I realized it was from Mad Men season 4. It's very interesting to see her play a villain like this and I think it suits her more. Finally glad stuff is happening with Elias. I've meant to post more about POI but just haven't taken the time to settle down and type out all my thoughts. It's nice to see him getting more of a focus after being built up so much for the first two seasons and then almost disappearing in the third.

As for the cliffhanger of Martine preparing to confront Shaw, while a sudden shoot-out could be very interesting, my guess is that Root is already there and ready to intervene to allow Shaw to escape and maintain her cover identity a bit longer.

I meant that bar scene.

The show's use of Elias using him slightly and rarely rather than slapping him front and centre has been one of it's better strengths - the less of him the better it is for the long term.

And about Shaw? note how Root is ALWAYS absent in stories that don't relate to the machine - so it's fair to say she's already aware and waiting somewhere for this to go down

« Reply #3082 on: November 23, 2014, 01:13:36 AM »
I am only 4 episodes into The Flash and I already lost interest. I loved it at first as a fan of the comic and it still works but I am not liking how toned down it is compared to Gotham and Arrow, it feels out of place. I know they aren't all 3 in exactly the same shared universe but Arrow and Flash are and they just clash too much in tone right now. Plus I am addicted to Arrow right now trying to get caught up and Gotham is still the best thing on TV at the moment.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: November 23, 2014, 01:17:36 AM »
what season of Arrow? obviously not Season 3, because S3 of Arrow is bottom of the pack atm.

Agents of SHIELD >>>> The Flash/Gotham >>>>>>>>>>Arrow(S3)/Constantine.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: November 25, 2014, 10:14:23 PM »
another good episode from Person of Interest.

It's time to step up or get stepped on.
Elias is simultaneously a step ahead, and a step behind.
Dominic get his game face on, but still has a few things to learn from the master. (Big shoes to fill)
Shaw, holding it down. Root, planting seeds.
John, The Muthafucking Batman (with a gun).
Samaritan, cheat code unlocked - swarm activated. /oprahbees.gif
Harold, more effective than Felicity... but nowhere near as cute.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:16:04 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: November 25, 2014, 10:59:50 PM »
The last episode of Star Wars rebels for the year was good, didn't really push the plot that much further but had alot of character development for Ezra and seeing him wield the Dark side was pretty awesome and his power levels seem to be high.

For me it goes

The Flash> Agents of Shield>Arrow>Gotham.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: November 27, 2014, 04:39:38 AM »
Bob's Burgers strikes again with Thunderdome and Fat Burt Reynolds. I can't believe how long the setup for some of the jokes are. A good bit of brain exercise keeping track of all the happenings in an episode.

Since the Anime thread just doesn't get enough material to keep breathing, anybody got recommeendations on some good recent shows? SAO 2 recovered from awfulness of GGO. Space Dandy was just great.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: November 27, 2014, 09:17:40 AM »
Bob's Burgers strikes again with Thunderdome and Fat Burt Reynolds. I can't believe how long the setup for some of the jokes are. A good bit of brain exercise keeping track of all the happenings in an episode.

Since the Anime thread just doesn't get enough material to keep breathing, anybody got recommeendations on some good recent shows? SAO 2 recovered from awfulness of GGO. Space Dandy was just great.

If you have US Netflix I recommend Wakfu if you haven't seen it.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: November 27, 2014, 02:36:41 PM »
Agents of Shield is on Netflix. I'm digging it so far though I'm only on the third episode. I heard it starts sucking for a while. Oh well, at least Skye is fun to look at.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: November 27, 2014, 03:42:50 PM »
it's easier to marathon that it is to wait week by week and read about on forums where details get nitpicked and opinions gets amplified.

Power through knowing that it's about to get good, and get rewarded by seeing that season 2 delivers, making season one worthwhile.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3090 on: November 27, 2014, 03:45:15 PM »

Dominic get his game face on, but still has a few things to learn from the master. (Big shoes to fill)

When Elias said that at the end, my reply was oh ****, things just got serious. I suspect there's going to be a massive collision between Team Machine, Samaritan, Elias and The Brotherhood - when suddenly Elias realises there's far more at stake than his personal concerns

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: November 27, 2014, 04:45:31 PM »

When Elias said that at the end, my reply was oh ****, things just got serious. I suspect there's going to be a massive collision between Team Machine, Samaritan, Elias and The Brotherhood - when suddenly Elias realises there's far more at stake than his personal concerns

I didn't catch this while watching, read about it afterwards, but the code on the safe: 103074 (10/30/74 aka Oct. 30th 1974) = The Rumble in the Jungle.
and John referred to Elias actions as a "rope-a-dope".

Heavyweights are about to FIGHT. **** is about to go down.

« Reply #3092 on: November 28, 2014, 01:12:17 AM »
I just finished Season 1 of Arrow. Season 2 is looking to be less soap opera hopefully. I quite watching the flash until I catch up on Arrow. Gotham wasn't that great this week, its starting to slip. I didn't even watch Walking Dead, after last few episodes I am burned out on it I will take a break and either move on or come back after a while.

Last Man Standing has run out of steam and has now begun its downward spiral I hope they have the good sense to get out before it turns to total crap. I did really like the new Big Bang Theory, hadn't watched a good one in a while but that one was alright.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:14:17 AM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: November 28, 2014, 02:43:47 AM »
I thought Gotham was pretty good considering it was a Selina/Bruce episode for the most part.
Selina was actually bearable, and Bruce has been pretty good, especially since the stair slap, and then the watch beatdown. Alfred went James Bond, from kicking ass to charming ladies, but always getting results.
Was and has certainly been better than Arrow so far this season.

as far as Season 2 of Arrow, you are in for a treat. It moves quick, never really gets boring, and kicks a lot of ass right up until the rather disappointing 3 part finale.... show hasn't recovered since. at least not yet, I know they are about to ramp it up soon, but almost everything about S3 has been pretty dull so far.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: November 28, 2014, 10:32:57 AM »
Oh, I'm getting sick of checking in on this thread and seeing the constant complaint of Arrow Season 3 being dull or weaker compared to other shows. I found it very good. It's not without its flaws but I find I look forward to a new Arrow episode more than The Flash or most other shows, even Person of Interest at times.

I've meaning to write up my impressions of Arrow Season 3 so far but I keep doing other things. So, instead, I'll just go briefly on record as stating that I'm in favor of Season 3 so far.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

« Reply #3095 on: November 28, 2014, 11:52:13 AM »
well to be fair I haven't watched it yet so I might agree with you.

BNM, my complaint with this episode is I don't like this version of Alfred and as "bad ass" as he was it clashes with my expectations of Alfred. It wasn't a bad episode it just felt like filler to me. i also didn't like them having Bruce and Salena living together in the first place but I do like that they are forming a tight bond it works for this version of Batman.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: November 28, 2014, 01:53:34 PM »
Oh, I'm getting sick of checking in on this thread and seeing the constant complaint of Arrow Season 3 being dull or weaker compared to other shows. I found it very good. It's not without its flaws but I find I look forward to a new Arrow episode more than The Flash or most other shows, even Person of Interest at times.

I've meaning to write up my impressions of Arrow Season 3 so far but I keep doing other things. So, instead, I'll just go briefly on record as stating that I'm in favor of Season 3 so far.

Problems with Arrow S3 so far...
-not even a single flashback has been interesting nor had any relevance to a present time event. The Sarah murder mystery is dull so far. The Thea/Merlyn plotline has gone nowhere.... it has actually regressed back to Thea ineptly running the club again while Merlyn has disappeared. Diggle still has no purpose. Retired heavyweight champ Wildcat used to be a vigilante when he was younger... but he looks early 30's and like a middle weight boxer at best.... expected a little older, and a little bigger. Ra's showed up for 2 seconds, never to be seen again... no progression on LoA vs Merlyn or "war" with the Arrow. There is no "Big Bad" for the season yet. and Felicity... what is she doing?

I know things will pick up starting with the crossover next week, but The Flash has been running circles around Arrow. Gotham has been corrupting Arrow's audience. and Agents of SHIELD has sent Arrow back to Academy for further training. Not to say Arrow is bad, it's just far below the bar is set last season, vacating the throne to AoS.

Actually, seeing how Arrow S3 has been handled so far with concurrent production of The Flash (which looks to be their main focus) at the same time, makes me a little weary for Arrow S4 and The Flash S2 when Supergirl takes flight next season on CBS.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: November 28, 2014, 02:35:01 PM »
Early 30's is being really kind to Wildcat. I say early 20's at best.  Personality wise I think he was a good choice.  Physically though I think he was a really lousy choice.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: November 28, 2014, 03:06:41 PM »
Unless they connect Gotham to the Arrowverse. But then Arrow would be significantly older. Granted, changing the ages and order of events isn't a bad thing.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: November 28, 2014, 03:17:31 PM »
Unless they connect Gotham to the Arrowverse. But then Arrow would be significantly older. Granted, changing the ages and order of events isn't a bad thing.
He's what 8 or so in the series.  Judging from the computers and TV's I say they are 95-96.  Arrow by all accounts is today.  That put Batman at about 26 if tied into the Arrowverse.