Author Topic: Metroid II: Return of Samus - RetroActive #12 Discussion Thread  (Read 12690 times)

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid II: Return of Samus - RetroActive #12 Discussion Thread
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 09:59:38 AM »
Alright, to be honest, back in the day, this game scared me. This game was my first survival horror experience! Finding that first metroid, the music blasting, and its screams every time you hit it with a missile, for me, were horrific in an awesome kind of way. That 'fear' made me continue to play the game over and over until I finished it. I believe I was around 13-14 at the time and I still have good/bad memories of the game.

Music - The games music is awesome! It creates a feeling of despair and loneliness unmatched yet in handheld metroid games. My favorite tune is

Graphics - Great for it's time. It hasn't aged well, but it's still artistically good. Yes, some caves were HUGE (I too was a spiderball freak, checking every little area) but to me, that was part of the enjoyment. EXPLORATION would suck if it was all little tiny areas.

Gameplay - The game was linear but this is not a bad thing. Back then I believe it needed to be like this for the Gameboy.

I couldn't replay the game with you guys, sice I have NO idea were my old copy is, so that's based on memory alone. Great feature for a great game.

P.S. Was I the only one scared as a child playing this game?
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010, 10:33:54 AM »
Although I don't find the linear nature of this game to be a problem, I miss the myriad of secret passages, hidden tricks, and shortcuts that made speedruns so popular for some of the other Metroid games.  (Yes, there are some shortcuts and false walls... but the mostly linear level-design and lack of backtracking limit how useful they are when trying a speed run in many cases.)

Then again, maybe I just don't know the right tricks and other people can finish the game in 40 minutes?
NNID: ejamer

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010, 01:15:13 PM »
One trend I noticed is that the people who like this game, played it back in its time. This leads me to believe that the game has, in fact, aged poorly, and only those who have played it back in the day, or are fans of retro games, would enjoy it today. Anyone playing it today for the first time wouldn't be able to get into it.

That just might be the answer. In the grand scheme of things, I first played both Metroid on the NES and Return Of Samus relatively recently, after I had completed Super Metroid and Metroid Prime, so they seemed horribly dated to me.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 01:44:08 PM »
Is it only running for one week or are we going to continue discussion into the episode after? I haven't had time to really sit down with it.

It was mentioned on the last episode of RFN that this RetroActive would only be running one week.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 01:53:27 PM »
While the game has its problems, I think it holds up surprisingly well. More than anything, its an interesting experience for its phylogenetic context: I would almost say that Metroid II is closer to Super Metroid than either game is to the original NES game.

In other words, if you play Super Metroid after Metroid, you think there's this ENORMOUS gulf between the games. There's not. Metroid II fills that gap very well.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2010, 12:19:23 AM »
We just recorded RetroActive, and it was epic -- over 1:20 of raw audio, though you can count on significant cuts by Greg. I didn't get to read as many forum posts as I wanted because the five of us (including Zach) all had so much to say. Still, I think you Metroid fans --and haters too!-- will really enjoy the discussion.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!