Author Topic: What do you guys think of Mario Kart 8?  (Read 9268 times)

Offline WaddlesJr

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
What do you guys think of Mario Kart 8?
« on: June 02, 2014, 01:44:03 AM »
Been playing the game for the past few days and have been thoroughly enjoy it.

The game is freaking gorgeous, and since I skipped Mario Kart 7 I'm loving the gliders as well as the customization on the karts!  It's just a lot of fun, and it's nice to finally see my Wii U getting some use.

I made a review about it if you guys want to check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmIdIMhGA4I

But what do you guys think about the game?  I've heard some mixed reviews other than mine and I'm curious at to what your experiences with the game have been!

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: What do you guys think of Mario Kart 8?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 02:52:15 AM »
On system like Wii u , that has a handful of great titles this ranks among if not the best game on the system. It's that Good! Best MK to date.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 12:11:19 PM »
7.5 at best. AT BEST haven't played  yet

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 12:34:52 PM »
It's the best Mario Kart game I've played (haven't played the 3DS one). True Battle Mode missing is a disappointment, but I agree that 7.5 is too low. I haven't finished it, but it seems more like an 8.5 to 9.0 in my book.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 12:45:21 PM »
It's a good game complemented by a great online multiplayer. The tournament feature has been great and the online races are always entertaining. Definitely better than a 7.5.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 06:19:44 PM »
I think the AI in 150cc and up is absolute bullshit, and it's totally soured me on this game.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 06:31:16 PM »
I think the AI in 150cc and up is absolute bullshit, and it's totally soured me on this game.

MK64 rubberband and blueshell level bullshit? or worse?

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 06:42:06 PM »
Nah 150cc is not that bad. I start on 150cc and since there are no unlocked carts, tires and gliders, it seems a bit harder than on 50/100cc. Once you get a better option of carts and such the game eases up significantly.  None to worry. Well at least for me that is. I was getting creamed online then I realized I have stock items.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 06:58:04 PM »

MK64 rubberband and blueshell level bullshit? or worse?

It's a mix of pretty much getting coins a lot of the time for me in 1st-3rd places, the AI being very aggressive and better at taking turns compared to past difficulties, and getting ambushed multiple times by items. Darn you green shells!

I don't think MK64 rubber band AI is what's happening, though. Blue shells are also uncommon compared to past installments post Super Circuit.

Maybe it was like that since I was doing two-player, but there's really not much margin for error in this game. I was having so much fun with it, too. I just feel that it's still quite luck-based, and that's not fun for me.

Offline WaddlesJr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 08:37:37 PM »

Really?  I started on 150cc and I didn't have much trouble getting gold in all the cups.  I think at most it took me 5 tries to get the gold?  And most the time I could do it in 1 or 2.

Yeah, the AI could be annoying, and piss me off at times, but I never found them any worse than actual humans

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 09:31:08 PM »
All Mario Kart games have Rubber Band AI, and if they didn't they probably wouldn't be very fun at all.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 09:46:08 PM by Brandogg »

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 09:53:41 PM »
the game looks and plays golden and i am very surprised at how stable online play is ;D
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 09:57:53 PM »
Yeah, I only played a few online matches, but absolutely zero issues when I did. Spectated the first match and was placed in the second one, nice system.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 11:57:15 PM »
I think its a good idea and Nintendo should make a Mario Kart 8. In fact, I predict that such a game could easily sell over a million units.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 05:50:28 AM »
All Mario Kart games have Rubber Band AI, and if they didn't they probably wouldn't be very fun at all.

Mario Kart without rubber band AI would be like a Zelda game without a sword. Sure, you could technically call it one, but it'd be missing one of the defining features of the series.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 01:36:20 PM »
I likes it. I likes it a lot.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 03:12:30 PM »
Almost all recent racing games (at least with AI and where you race in circuits) have Rubber Band AI, or at least a variation of the classic model (which is patented by Nintendo), we spent a good amount of time actually studying it in my Game Design class last semester. It's what makes racing in a circuit competitive, it would be no fun if you were guaranteed first, second or third place because the top 3 or 4 were inconsistent in each race.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 03:28:45 PM »
Its one thing to be competitive and another to cheat.

Limiting my items and then raining items on me instead of just being close most the race is vastly different.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 03:58:18 PM »
I'll admit I've cursed out my TV several times over the past couple days, but I would probably be more pissed if I shelled out $60 for a game (well, 2 games) and won every time. Try to get a Super Horn and just keep it at all times.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 04:29:15 PM »
I'll admit I've cursed out my TV several times over the past couple days, but I would probably be more pissed if I shelled out $60 for a game (well, 2 games) and won every time. Try to get a Super Horn and just keep it at all times.
The super Horn will get me through the first shell.   My problem isn't there being challenge.  It's how the challenge is applied.  I watch the AI get Items that I've never gotten when I'm in there place.  I've dominated games to just get slightly knocked at the end and suddenly the whole field is there.  I don't want that.  I want the field to be with me where my items and racing can effect them.  I don't want to feel like the AI has a hive mind that is fixated on Me.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 05:06:51 PM »
Oh honestly.
I hope you bought physical. You should trade it in, save you all the pissing and moaning.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2014, 01:59:39 AM »
Oh, that's what the horn is for... I didn't read the manual, just hopped right in.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2014, 02:26:32 AM »
For some reason the 150 cc cups are much easier without another player. I mean, it's quite noticeable. I was able to get three stars on each of the four new cups-- haven't tried the retro ones yet.

In comparison, I struggled to even place first when playing with a second player who was not targeting anything at me either.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 10:38:44 AM »
I played on the lower level cups with a second player.  The AI seemed to be a lot more aggressive with the items than playing by myself.  There was a lot more lightning with a P2.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 10:56:58 AM »
I got digital.  If I would have thought about it more I probably should have got Physical played through and then just traded it in.  *shrug*  I'm bad about not trading games as well.

The Super Horn will knock out Shells and other racers around you.