Poll

What device do you use most to Netflix? (choose all that apply)

Game Console
22 (42.3%)
Smart Box (AppleTV, Roku, Blu-Ray player)
10 (19.2%)
Smart Phone/Tablet (& Chromecast)
8 (15.4%)
Smart TV
3 (5.8%)
Computer/HTPC
9 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: All Things Netflix! Coming Soon: The Netflix Experience, Live and In Person!??  (Read 321842 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: All Things Netflix! Now you can watch on the GO, no mobile data needed.
« Reply #550 on: January 01, 2020, 09:02:17 AM »
Witcher was a blast and I actually enjoyed that they didn't spoon feed me all of those nuanced details this time. It was definitely designed to be binged and watched directly (not "watched" while playing around on your phone or switch, lest you miss the details).

I was a bit confused at first, but my wife was even more confused so we did pause the show (or break between episodes/binge sessions) to talk out what was happening and it all came together for us in that manner, so by the last few episodes we were both easily following what was happening and invested in the characters. We didn't need to go looking up any external lore sources or plot breakdowns online to deduce all of the things going on.

I highly recommend it to everyone not averse a little sex and violence in their medieval fantasy. It is much lighter than Game of Thrones in both types of graphic scenes, but there are boobs sporadically popping up. The violence is tamer, but still not for the weak of stomach.

It's especially worth watching if you are a Game of Thrones fan (double especially if you wished there was more fantasy in your medieval fantasy epic from GOT).

The complaints about editing Broodwars makes do have some merit, but I don't think that would derail the show for most people. I'm torn between an 8 and 9 out of 10 for a score so I'll settle on an 8.5, though I do plan to re-watch it down the road and see how things change for me on a second viewing.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 06, 2020, 09:01:03 AM »
He-Man and the "Masters of the Universe" movie coming to Netflix

https://discussingfilm.net/2020/02/05/masters-of-the-universe-will-release-on-netflix-exclusive/

It was previously a Sony Pictures thing.... but since Netflix has success with She-Ra, makes sense they'd want some Live Action Muscles & Sword of Power to go with it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 06, 2020, 12:23:35 PM »
Finished Lost in Space S2 and just love the show! Really hope Netflix doesn't go and cancel it pre-maturely. Great characters and they do a great job mixing in drama without it dragging down the plot and pace of the show. Its still a Sci-Fi adventure at its core.

And Dr Smith is a villain that I love to despise. Such a well done villain and does a great job exploiting and taking advantage of everyone.

After S2 I think we have not seen the last of Scarecrow or Ben Adler. I think they were melded together during the lightning storm and it will be a shocker reveal when Scarecrow speaks.
My Game Collection

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 06, 2020, 02:52:08 PM »
Finished Lost in Space S2 and just love the show! ...

I'm curious about your opinion. We started watching S1 a while back, but the first episode of two didn't really stick with us. The pacing felt a bit off, and even though it had some neat ideas and tried to throw us into the action, it didn't feel compelling without knowing much about the characters.

Should we stick with it, or does that mean it's probably not going to be a match for us?  I imagine the show could only get better... but if the first half dozen episodes are a slow build then we probably don't have enough free time to make it worthwhile.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 06, 2020, 03:58:19 PM »
They give you flashbacks to the characters from before leaving earth and it really fleshes out their motivations and relationships (pay attention to the background info in the flashbacks as it comes into play later for bigger plot points). Its not so much a slow burn, more of a controlled burn with regards to the character drama.

My wife also felt unmotivated to finish S1. I wastched S1 on my own when it dropped and then convinced her to watch it all with me on my second round. She fizzled out around episode 5, but after I finished S2 and raved about it she decided to go back and give it another try. She picked up where she left off and I helped jog her memory on some plot points and characters and she got so sucked up in it that she binged the rest of S1 and all of S2 in a weekend.

So I suspect if you stick with it then it will pay off for you like it did for her, especially if the show has an intriguing premise for you already. Watching it reminded my wife how much she loved Sci-Fi to the point she finally decided to take the plunge and watch the original Star Wars with me.
My Game Collection

Offline ejamer

• View Profile

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 07, 2020, 03:02:34 PM »
Ironic is I always hated Versions of netflix that didn't have it. The Wii U had that first. Then they updated it and got rid of it, but then they brought it back on all platforms.

I hate Crackle's version of that. It's obnoxious.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 07, 2020, 04:49:23 PM »
Ironic is I always hated Versions of netflix that didn't have it. The Wii U had that first. Then they updated it and got rid of it, but then they brought it back on all platforms.

Actually, I don't hate the auto-previews, and sometimes it was useful if the show was new or something kind of unknown... But sometimes Netflix kept playing the show instead of just showing a preview, before I was actually ready to start. That really ticked me off, and made me wary of all previews.

Seems easier to just turn it off and not worry.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #559 on: February 09, 2020, 07:46:49 PM »
I never liked them, to be honest.  Auto-play videos just rub me the wrong way in general.  On Netflix, it feels like I'm on a timer where if I don't keep scrolling the damn preview will play.  I'd rather read the description, look at whatever art they have for and think if I want to look at a trailer than get one when I'm still like "Who's in this? What kind of movie is it?".
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 10, 2020, 03:17:14 PM »
The worst part of auto play for me was that I end up with a few films in the "continue watching" row that I have no interest in watching.
My Game Collection

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 10, 2020, 07:33:51 PM »
The worst part of auto play for me was that I end up with a few films in the "continue watching" row that I have no interest in watching.

You are supposed to be able to clear those out from your profile in a web browser, but that hasn't always worked very well in my experience.  (But I agree: that is extremely annoying.)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 10, 2020, 08:03:38 PM »
I never watch Netflix in a web browser anymore. Shouldn't have to access 'special' settings on a browser yo do things that should be native to your app.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 13, 2020, 12:52:54 AM »
Netflix offers a "FREE" movie to non-subscribers in hopes they subscribe for the sequel.

No need to log in or sign up for FREE trail
https://www.netflix.com/title/80203147

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before

When her secret love letters somehow get mailed to each of her five crushes, Lara Jean finds her quiet high school existence turned upside down.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 13, 2020, 03:42:17 PM »
My wife is watching that and apparently having a blast with it. There is a funny inconsistency between the seasons as they recast the love interest that appears in the ending cliff hanger. He went from a clearly white guy to someone who is very clearly bi-racial (black + white I believe). She thinks the actor was an upgrade, but it is still an odd drastic change.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 14, 2020, 10:37:51 AM »
Stranger Things 4 Teaser (and SPOILER reveal in Trailer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB2GYwbIAlM

I haven't watched it yet.... but I hear the strangest thing is the obvious MCU crossover!! /s

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 14, 2020, 11:06:09 AM »
The spoiler was something that everyone assumed to be fact though, right? I mean, nobody should be surprised what was shown last season.

Stranger Things is in a weird place; I feel like the more we get, the less impressive it all becomes. The writing last season didn't thrill me, even though I enjoyed watching it well enough. Rather than seeing quality tail off as they constantly try to go bigger each season, I kind of wish they'd just wrap it up and do something different.

That said, I'll definitely still watch another season.

Anyone going to check out the Dragon Warrior show on Netflix? Something about the style just looks so wrong. Animation works when stylized that way, but when you start making "realistic anime" it gets kind of uncomfortable.  Although I did like how it opened up with an 8-bit tribute.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:14:11 AM by ejamer »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 14, 2020, 06:40:02 PM »
Stranger Things is in a weird place; I feel like the more we get, the less impressive it all becomes. The writing last season didn't thrill me, even though I enjoyed watching it well enough. Rather than seeing quality tail off as they constantly try to go bigger each season, I kind of wish they'd just wrap it up and do something different.

That said, I'll definitely still watch another season.

I end up saying this for a lot of shows and films, but the show runners have a plan to end the series and stated they will only go to four, maybe five seasons before wrapping it up. So hopefully this leads to a tighter series finale. But I've been burned before (Shrek, Game of Thrones) so I'll just have to watch and hope for the best.
My Game Collection

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 15, 2020, 12:29:28 AM »
If it didn't happen on screen it didn't happen. Two characters died off screen on Fear The Walking Dead. Now, I stopped watching that series all together, but I wouldn't be surprised if they came back.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 15, 2020, 03:15:44 PM »
Anyone going to check out the Dragon Warrior show on Netflix? Something about the style just looks so wrong. Animation works when stylized that way, but when you start making "realistic anime" it gets kind of uncomfortable.  Although I did like how it opened up with an 8-bit tribute.

Oof.  Well, despite loving Dragon Quest video game series and being openly curious going on, I'd suggest that anyone else who was thinking of spending the time watch Dragon Quest Your Story on Netflix approach with caution. It's not particularly good - and that's probably a generous assessment.

Which is weird, the episodic nature of this series seems like it could make a really fun movie or show if put together right. Your Story doesn't really come together well though. Maybe it would be better if they did a short anime mini-series instead though, or if they stayed truer to the story from one of the games.

Anyway, my overall rating is: "wish I had that time back". Would've been better off actually sitting down and playing through a the first hour or two of a Dragon Quest game instead.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #570 on: February 16, 2020, 02:48:17 PM »
I meant to mention this when I posted about Netflix taking over the Sony Masters of the Universe movie, but I didn't have time to find a link.

But apparently Netflix is also making a He-Man cartoon.
Masters of the Universe: Revelation

I have no idea if it's similar art style to the She-Ra cartoon or not, or if they are connected in anyway (I don't see why they wouldn't be since Netflix makes them both)

But it's being done by Kevin Smith and they just released the cast list.... and the voice cast sounds great!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #571 on: February 16, 2020, 06:31:20 PM »
Somebody named their daughter Harley Quinn for real?  Worst parents evar.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 16, 2020, 06:55:22 PM »
check the last name....

That would be man in charge of the product..... Kevin Smith
he named his daughter Harley Quinn Smith

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 16, 2020, 08:04:37 PM »
sounds like a pretty good cast. If this is stoner He-man then i'm really down. I was hotboxed one day watching he-man with my roommate and determined it to be the greatest intellectual property ever created.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 17, 2020, 04:09:27 PM »
Where the hell am I on that list!?!? Name myself after a He-Man character and be the only one forgotten in a casting call...
My Game Collection