Author Topic: Mario Kart Tour is gonna be a no from me, dawg  (Read 5297 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Mario Kart Tour is gonna be a no from me, dawg
« on: September 25, 2019, 08:27:24 AM »
Mario Kart Tour has a subscription service that costs more per year than Nintendo Switch Online.

I don’t believe the Gold Pass is required to play the game. However, its existence is a major red flag, and I was already put off by the gatcha stuff. I’m getting Disney+ for less than that. Get the hell out of here with another subscription especially when I have a perfectly good Mario Kart 8 Deluxe I’m not playing.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 09:12:16 AM by Adrock »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Mario Kart Tour is gonna be a no from me, dawg
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 01:36:32 PM »
I may give it a download, but honestly Pokemon Masters is enough phone game for me at the moment.  It definitely freed me from the stockholm syndrome of Dr. Mario World.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 10:02:12 PM »
The Gold Pass is required for 200cc play, and if you stretch it for a year you can literally buy 8 Deluxe outright.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 02:17:29 PM »
I have no interest in this, but it's still a bit of a bummer to see Nintendo participating in these sorts of practices.

What are the pay-to-win elements? Can you buy items with money?

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 10:43:00 PM »
Are you sure you don't want to fire off the pipe?

Man, the game makes a terrible first impression with the controls. They feel so bad and unintuitive. Also releasing a week after Apple Arcade also doesn't help at all.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 02:18:58 AM »
Nintendo going full Wario with Mario Kart Tour.

It is surprising, not surprising, and saddening to see Nintendo just go full gacha with what is arguably their most popular franchise. Oh well, I hope they enjoy all that app revenue.

Oddly enough, since I didn't get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for the Switch, it has been a while since I've played a Mario Kart. After I got used to Tour's odd controls, it's kinda nice to play a Mario Kart.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 09:20:23 AM »
Did you have Mario Kart 8 on Wii U?

Considering Nintendo’s non-gatcha mobile games all underperformed, it’s defensible for the company to lean in to what was most profitable in the mobile sector. I don’t like it, but I also don’t have to and won’t play it. I can live with Nintendo going this route as long as it stays on mobile. The second that nonsense bleeds into Switch, I’ll see myself out.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 12:53:40 AM »
I may give it a download, but honestly Pokemon Masters is enough phone game for me at the moment.  It definitely freed me from the stockholm syndrome of Dr. Mario World.

Update: I tried the tutorial, didn't like the controls.  May try it again in the future, tbd.  I put it in a folder, so I might not feel the urge.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 10:40:26 AM »
I tried the game, and the "advanced controls" were too difficult.  I couldn't steer at all.  The basic controls were playable, but then the game just didn't feel right.  Overall it is an average game with great licensed characters.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 10:29:42 PM »

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 05:01:19 AM »
Did you have Mario Kart 8 on Wii U?

Considering Nintendo’s non-gatcha mobile games all underperformed, it’s defensible for the company to lean in to what was most profitable in the mobile sector. I don’t like it, but I also don’t have to and won’t play it. I can live with Nintendo going this route as long as it stays on mobile. The second that nonsense bleeds into Switch, I’ll see myself out.

Yup! I loved playing Mario Kart 8 on Wii U. I'm waiting for a proper Mario Kart 9 on the Switch. That, or some massive expansions to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

The point that seems to not be brought up often enough around Nintendo's mobile ventures is that, I assume in my heart, they are begrudgingly doing them. At least for their established game series, the mobile games are an advertisement for the console games and an extra source of revenue. I haven't done the credits digging myself, but going on how Syrenne talked about Dragalia Lost on RFN, I assume that Nintendo staff are majorly involved in the development of all the mobile games. So, this isn't a case of an uncaring Nintendo hiring other companies to do contract work for inferior mobile apps.

The other critical angle to why Nintendo's mobile games are the way they are is that the Switch exists. Of all of Nintendos franchises, people remark how Animal Crossing would be the best fit to have smartphone version. And they expressed disappointment and dismay in how Pocket Camp turned out and later monetized. The realization I don't hear often enough is that any great version of Animal Crossing on mobile that you can think would have Nintendo's effort be better spent in an Animal Crossing for Switch; where Nintendo can be more sure of selling US60 copies. So goes with Nintendo's other game series.

I'm just glad that Nintendo and Cygames' Dragalia Lost has been so generous to me as the game heads to its first anniversary. The Mega Man collaboration coming in November has me excited!