Author Topic: Pokémon Trading Card Game Review Mini  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Daan

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Pokémon Trading Card Game Review Mini
« on: July 20, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »

Is it possible to get more games like this one in the future please?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/reviewmini/38117/pokemon-trading-card-game-review-mini

The Pokémon Trading Card Game for the Game Boy Color is harder than I remember it being. The mechanics are much deeper than I remember. While I am deeply invested in the Pokémon franchise, it has been a while since I played the card game. Now, many hours later, I am once again sold on the premise and was impressed with how well this GBC classic holds up.

It all begins with a solid tutorial that correctly explains everything that you need to know. There are paragraphs of texts dedicated to every detail, which does well to inform the player before things get started. The gameplay was meant to fit on a GBC screen, but it gives still enough tools to know what is going on, which is impressive. You can quickly check on the Pokémon you have put on the field or your hand to make that last-minute decision.

Similar to the original Pokémon game, you will visit different colorful clubs and try to defeat their leaders. The Pokémon Trading Card Game has streamlined to mostly the card battle process though and that is quite appreciated. It makes it easy to have a quick game against the many club members each place has. You will fight to earn booster packs, develop new decks and try your hand at the various opponents on offer. Developing new decks and strategies constantly changes the way you play the game, which keeps the game from getting stale.

The game is fun and entertaining, but the game telegraphs the types of card each club leader will use. This makes it easy to collect cards in matches and gather an advantage over future opponents. The cards have good variety, and the occasional legendary creature is always exciting. In the end, it is all about your skill, not your deck, and making the move that feels right to you.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon Trading Card Game Review Mini
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:09:57 AM »
As I said on your Youtube channel, Daan, I come back to this game every few years.

There's this weird charm about it and how there's so many things that make it feel unnatural and weird. at the same time, video game trading card games like these let me relive a format in that card game before they figured out how to balance it. I tend to make a mono water deck that ends games in about all of two turns when I pick it up because with the sheer ammount of draw advantage coupled with Blastoise's very OP Rain Dance, I can basically have a bench of fully stocked Articuno and Laprass at the ready to  tear through the enemy bench or retreat at the drop of a hat.

From what I am to understand, they still have blastoise decks of the sort about, but they've tned down the draw engine so you can't play **** like 3 copies of Bill or 2 copies of Professor Oak/Gambler in the same turn.

Offline AwesomeUnicorn

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 05:39:45 PM »
I am such a sucker for card game video games.  This and the Marvel TCG game have probably sucked the most hours out of my life.

Offline TheXenocide

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 07:37:55 PM »
Read this today while I was in town with my wife. I was waiting on her so I didn't get to read the whole thing. Since I was in town, I bought an e-shop card to download this only to come home and find out it's only in Europe... Hurry up NOA, I need this game!

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 08:16:32 PM »
As I said on your Youtube channel, Daan, I come back to this game every few years.

There's this weird charm about it and how there's so many things that make it feel unnatural and weird. at the same time, video game trading card games like these let me relive a format in that card game before they figured out how to balance it. I tend to make a mono water deck that ends games in about all of two turns when I pick it up because with the sheer ammount of draw advantage coupled with Blastoise's very OP Rain Dance, I can basically have a bench of fully stocked Articuno and Laprass at the ready to  tear through the enemy bench or retreat at the drop of a hat.

From what I am to understand, they still have blastoise decks of the sort about, but they've tned down the draw engine so you can't play **** like 3 copies of Bill or 2 copies of Professor Oak/Gambler in the same turn.
I read something like this and wish the game had multiplayer because that deck sounds like it'd be torn apart by my straight poison deck.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 10:58:17 PM »
You could (if you were lucky enough) add Charizard to your Rain Dance Deck since his Pokemon Power let you convert the water energy cards to fire.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 11:00:16 PM »
Unless, the rain dance thing only worked on water types? I can barely remember anymore.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 01:07:41 AM »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 01:17:40 AM »
Best thing about games like this was the low entry price. I was always the poor kid with the crappy deck of cards in all of the games I played. Same goes for board games with expansions and other table-top games.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 07:34:09 PM »
Unless, the rain dance thing only worked on water types? I can barely remember anymore.
http://pokebeach.com/scans/wizards-theme-deck-variants/2-blastoise-trainer-deck-b-misty.jpg

Thanks.
You could still use charizard with your one move/turn, I guess.