Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 454738 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #1000 on: July 14, 2014, 10:25:17 PM »
Having rewatched the video, I think Chrom is a part of Robin's final smash.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: July 14, 2014, 11:22:51 PM »
Yes, chrom is his final smash. The trolling in this video was epic.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: July 15, 2014, 06:54:14 AM »
Lucina is a clone. I imagine Sakurai was sitting at his desk saying, "Come at me, haters." Quite frankly, I'm impressed by the amount of trolling he fit in 24 hours especially considering how busy he is.

Clones seem redundant with the ability to customize movesets. The roster is pretty robust at this point and some shoe-ins like Ganondorf and Wario have yet to be announced so I'm not too disappointed in this. Still, it seemed like one of those missed opportunities. Alts allowed for an insane amount of character additions as they'd be more-literal clones that do not require any rebalancing. If that's the difference between getting Daisy and not getting Daisy, I strongly prefer the former. If we get Daisy as a rebalanced Peach, that will shut me right up.

The roster is already so large, I'm finding myself not as bummed out about clones. There's so much variety and the addition of more female characters really does make a difference. With each game, this becomes less of an issue. In Melee, it was disappointing to get Pichu and not Wario, even though I understand why that happened (the development time was roughly what, like five weeks give or take). Sakurai has included many of the major omissions, notably regarding series representation. There are a few holdouts, mostly newer IPs and even then, we might still get characters like Shulk. And if we don't, I'm still pretty pleased that Mega Man and Pac-Man made the cut first.

For comparisons' sake, Brawl had 18 newcomers (three clones). So far, U/3DS has 11 newcomers (one clone for now, Mii Fighters have 32 varieties).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:10:31 AM by Adrock »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: July 15, 2014, 07:05:02 AM »
I really am going to miss Sakurai's trolling once everything's revealed and the game's out. He's a great game designer but a truly masterful troll.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1004 on: July 15, 2014, 10:58:55 AM »
Agreed.  That's the best part about the Smash Bros development cycle.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: July 15, 2014, 07:02:04 PM »
If snake himself doesn't return I kinda hope Sakurai creates a character specifically designed to be a crazy parody of him with snake's brawl moveset.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1006 on: July 15, 2014, 07:35:18 PM »
I have had a fun idea for awhile.  Namco is working on this, and they have famously created a woodblock character that will switch move sets each round. 

With the Rayman trophy being a clue.  What if they made a Rabbids character...and each round they are randomly a different character.  However, in typical Rabbids fashion they are just not very good at it.  This could be represented by silliness like using French Bread or fish as swords, and other insane and stupid substitutions.  It could also be similar to a Dan-like character.

I would love if this happened, because it fits the character and adds us a really unique character to play as.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: July 15, 2014, 08:24:34 PM »
Or they could be the new games' fighting polygon team/wireframes/alloys.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: July 15, 2014, 08:27:56 PM »
He seems to have the attitude this time of putting his hands behind his head, leaning back in his chair, and saying, "**** it, man." He's having a ball toying with people's emotions. Maybe it's personal. "So, today I released that clip of Ridley's shadow." /crosses off "Caterkiller" from list.
Sakurai definitely makes a good supervillain.

Though it may not matter whether he wants to or not, Nintendo's been pretty spoiler-happy the last couple years and they may want to unveil everything in the game before release. They showed everything in MK8 a month before it came out, so we'll probably see that here too.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1009 on: July 15, 2014, 10:29:11 PM »
Have they ever considered putting alternatives to Sandbag in the game? I for one would welcome the opportunity to beat up any of the following:

- Rabbids
- Tom Nook
- Clyde *Pac-Man ghost*
- Lanky Kong
- Slippy Toad
- Big the Cat
- Bowser Jr
- Fobby (actual punching bag thrown in for variety)
- Adam Malkovich
- Blissey
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1010 on: July 15, 2014, 10:30:48 PM »
Lucina!Lucina!LUCINA! :@ Where's chrom!!!!!!
Nintendo you troller's!
Made you look ****.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: July 15, 2014, 10:44:12 PM »
There is no Chrom. The Chrom is a lie.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1012 on: July 15, 2014, 10:52:02 PM »

Made you look ****.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: July 15, 2014, 11:05:58 PM »
You know, that actually makes me think of an interesting point. Would anyone care if Mario wasn't in Smash Bros.?

t's kind of funny because Mario platformers, Mario Kart, Mario Party and heck even the sports titles I'll pick up and those interest me because of the Mario name and characters. Smash Bros.? Have no interest in Mario. One of the last characters I would select to play. I guess I'm just more interested and happy to play with the lesser known characters who hardly get many games.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: July 15, 2014, 11:08:53 PM »

OK, that got a pretty good laugh out of me. Good job, Lucario.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: July 15, 2014, 11:20:49 PM »
Would anyone care if Mario wasn't in Smash Bros.?

Yes. People would flip out because while they say they want something new and innovative and outside their comfort zone they rarely follow through on their intentions.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: July 16, 2014, 02:21:12 PM »
You know, that actually makes me think of an interesting point. Would anyone care if Mario wasn't in Smash Bros.?
If you're just talking about this new game, then yeah, I would be okay with that. The issue we're facing now is that there have been over 40 characters in Smash Brothers games. If they wanted to include all 40, with tweaks and such to update them, it wouldn't leave much time left for new characters unless the game was in development for like 5 or more years. I want to try out new characters a lot more than I want tweaked returning characters.

That said, the novelty of Nintendo worlds colliding has already worn off for me. What I want now is franchise-specific versions for Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon, all three of these series have lots of characters that I feel would make for interesting fighters in Smash Brothers, as well as plenty of locations for stage inspiration, none of which have a chance of making it into the normal Smash Brothers. For me, the series has become too bloated.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: July 16, 2014, 04:19:54 PM »
Well maybe Sakurai isn't going to go clone crazy this time.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bsp5iI2CUAA478W.jpg

According to what people who say they've translated this from Sakurai's latest Famitsu article, Lucina was originally an alt for Marth, but a certain character got cut during development and he decided to make her a clone instead because she was the quickest to make to replace the cut character.

So if this is indeed the case, other characters who we thought could be clones now will probably still be alts then.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:21:54 PM by Luigi Dude »
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: July 16, 2014, 05:33:52 PM »
I wonder if the "certain cut character" was either Roy or Chrom.
My Game Collection

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: July 17, 2014, 12:19:14 PM »
Boy oh boy that Sakurai! Just when I think I know something I don't know nothing!

I am extremely surprised Lucina was an alternate for Marth. Avatar characters I completely understand but completely different characters being costumes I thought for sure would be a no no. Now though, I could easily see Dark Pit, Impa, Demise and maybe a few others. Though according to some new leak there are only like 3 or 4 characters with different names and voice tracks.

Trollurai, Sakutroll, the troll formerly known as Sakurai... This guy has been amazing with the fake outs and lead ups. The moment Kirby went flying through a Mario Kart stage I realized what we were in for. The signs were there as early as that Wii Fit Trainer demo with the way it starts off but with this last trailer it's been kicked up like 35 notches. He really does play on our expectations. I mean with Twitter and Miiverse it's only natural he's got people watching for our general reactions but I swear he is following my posts and keeps tabs on me. Why I was chosen I'll never know but this is my gift , this is my curse and against the odds, I choose to fight!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1020 on: July 17, 2014, 12:54:04 PM »
I think that I like this better. I'd rather have a ton of alts with different voices and everything that have them take roster spots.  Somehow makes the game feel deeper to me.

And on his trolling, I like how he got the Xenoblade guy to retweet that tweet to add an extra layer of trolling.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: July 17, 2014, 05:19:01 PM »
I'm mulling over this "cut character". The cut character most likely had a sword since Sakurai is comparing him to Marth, Chrom and Lucina. I wonder if Shulk got cut.
My Game Collection

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: July 18, 2014, 03:48:53 PM »
I'm mulling over this "cut character". The cut character most likely had a sword since Sakurai is comparing him to Marth, Chrom and Lucina. I wonder if Shulk got cut.
I doubt it.  He probably be the only representative of his series so move wise he could incorporate everyone's set.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: July 18, 2014, 07:39:25 PM »
Maybe the cut character was Snake, maybe any negotiations with konami just didn't work out.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1024 on: July 19, 2014, 12:13:58 AM »
I don't think that just because the character was replaced with a swordsman (swordswoman?) means that the character had a sword, just a slot on the roster.

Lucina was probably put in because she was the easiest to incorporate as a standalone character, by tweeking Marth's moveset.