Author Topic: Pokémon Sun and Moon  (Read 30196 times)

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Pokémon Sun and Moon
« on: October 12, 2016, 10:05:06 PM »
We're less than six weeks away from launch and less than one week away from the demo. I'm assuming the news is only going to pick up as we get closer to release, but the hype is already super high for me. I've been set on getting Pokemon Sun between the two versions for a while now, but what about y'all?

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Pokémon Sun and Moon
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 10:10:44 PM »
I try really hard to be excited, but you know that it's just going to be a super-easy Omega and Alpha again.
Made you look ****.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 11:34:13 AM »
after Gen 6 nearly killed all my enthusiasm for Pokemon, this has been marketed SO well that I am READY for Generation 7 pokemon. <3 I want these games SO much.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 02:28:13 PM »
I'm excited too. X was my first game and I'm about halfway through Alpha Sapphire. I'm a big fan of what I've played so far. I've been inclined to get Moon from the start but I'm waiting to see how big a factor the time shifting is and how it is implemented. I'm hoping to buy on launch, but apparently I screwed up by not playing the AS demo and missed out on getting a Pokémon, so I'm trying to finish AS and get the demo in by then. I'll definitely get it within the timeframe for the Munchlax download.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 06:18:32 PM »
I'm no fan so I buy the games only when they're cheap. That means I may not have a choice of version if one of them is not on sale or already sold out, but I would choose Moon if given the chance as night > day.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 08:34:24 AM »
going to start a seperate thread for something...

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 02:26:42 PM »
So far I've just played Pokémon games in single player mode and haven't used the trade features outside of the few times they ask you to in-game. I haven't thought much about gaming the system either. Is it viable to use Pokémon Bank or trades to get all three starters for a play through? I have a vague impression that trading isn't allowed until you reach a certain part in the game. I also haven't used Pokémon Bank much. I have a subscription and uploaded some Pokémon, but that was before I knew what I was doing, and haven't had any use for it since. I haven't tried to import anything from it yet. I like everything about Litten, but I really dig Rowlett's final evolution too. Would it be feasible to start a game, upload the starter to Bank, and then restart a new file to download it to with the additional starter? If not that, what about trading with a like-minded person using the same strategy of restarting a new file?

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 06:10:23 PM »
well, they're not going to patch pokemon bank for Sun/Moon compatability until January, so... that should help your decision.

That being said, might I reccomend Wonder Trade or the GTS functions, which will return in the new Festival Plaza? Wonder Trade in particular spent most of the time during it's X/Y career flooded with the likes of Froakie, Fennekin, and Chespin from people breeding those pokemon.

Also, according to Ash Paulsen of Gamexplain, he got to play Pokemon Sun at a press event, and he got the Nintendo Rep to confirm to him that Poke'ride will be replacing HMs... especially given how seamless the implimentation is in the special demo, I have to say that this is VERY Exciting news.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 06:49:54 PM »
That is great news. I saw that reported elsewhere but it seemed to based on inference and not direct knowledge.

Thanks for the tips. I stayed away from wonder trade so far because I wasn't sure on the etiquette. It sounds like I should look into the dynamics of trading.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 08:26:45 AM »
there really isn't an ettiquitte with wonder trade. they don't let you interact with the trainer beyond you both setting up a pokemon to send out and then the RNG choosing a trainer to pair you up with and you go.  it's a GREAT way to get rid of your 9 boxes of breed fodder from when you were trying to use the Masuda Method to get your shinies. (I know. I am an insane person for that.)

That being said, people can troll you. I saw a funny story once of a guy getting a Machamp nicknamed... y'know, what, I'll link it here.

http://www.funnyjunk.com/channel/fucking-tumblr/Homo+matsuri/qtBTLdg/ Probbably Not Safe For Work.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 10:41:22 AM »
I was thinking more along the lines of what minimum level of Pokémon you should offer up to Wonder Trade. I tested it out with a low level zigzagoon and got a 50th level drifblim in return, so I felt pretty guilty. Then I sent out a couple of high teen sandshrews because that's what was nearby and I only got common level 1 Pokémon back.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 11:26:26 AM »
yeah, a lot of the time you'll get level 1 pokemon back because as I said, Wonder Trade is a GREAT way to deal with your breed fodder. there are also folks who will just catch Zigzagoon or bunnelby or something common en masse and wonder trade that.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 12:06:56 PM »
I think part of my problem is that due to time constraints I haven't played around with any post-game features yet. I'm not sure I'm playing these games the "right" way to get what I want out of them.

What do you typically send out if/when you wonder trade?

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 01:27:42 PM »
I have a good 9 boxes filled with Zorua and another 4 or so with Marvel Scale Dratini. to avoid this thread going on a tangent, feel free to PM me, Rygar. I'd love to give you some Pokemon tips, or even trade gen 6 stuff with you should you desire it!

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 03:05:55 PM »
Thanks ClexYoshi, I will. Your steering me to PM is apropos given another current thread. As a new member, I'm still getting a sense of the place. I was hesitant to resurrect dead threads in the gameplay strategy sub-forum.

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 04:19:15 PM »
Thanks for making a separate thread about that extra information from the demo, Clex! I might end up reading it all before the games comes out anyway, but for now I've decided I'm going try to avoid as many details about new Pokemon as I can, given how many have already been revealed.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 09:00:36 AM »
Bumping this thread to spread the news that I just edited the other thread for. The full games have leaked by 10 days. Pokemon Project members are in the process of performing the datamine, and someone has dumped the .cia file to 4chan for pirates to play through Pokemon Moon version. now would be a good time to get off the internet if you truly don't want the full spoilers to potentially pass your social media.

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 02:29:52 PM »
Yeah, seems like a good idea to avoid Twitter and a couple other places for a while. At this point it feels like so much of the game has already been revealed that I don't mind accidentally running into some details from these leaks though. 

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 03:56:20 PM »
I personally chose to immerse myself because I knew there was no way in hell I was going in unvarnished. that, and when I play pokemon, I enjoy going in at least a little educated on what sort of pokemon I'm going to use or at least figure out what nature and moves I should be focusing on to get the most out of a pokemon. I can at least say I appreciate what Gamefreak has outwardly professed to do to combat power creep with direct mention to the Parental Bond Nerf, the various priority hate (bruxish, Tsareena, Tapu Lele), and some nerfs to long-standing mechanics, such as the demo demonstrating that you only lose 50% of your speed when paralyzed and not 66%. also, one of the most prominent sources of paralysis in the game, Thunder Wave, only has 90% accuracy now.

I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of these (as well as another mechanical change that I won't reference here) are directed specifically at Klefki.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 09:54:45 PM »
I'm still scared from Team Skull and how the game tells you what's super-effective and what's not! That's completely the opposite of what I want!
Made you look ****.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2016, 06:32:01 AM »
you only get the effectiveness chart if the opponent's pokemon has a Pokedex flag. for first time encounters, you're in the dark, and the idea is that once you can use a pokemon's seen flag in the Rotomdex, you'll have it's typing and the game will give you a nice little reminder.

if you're worried about the game's difficulty, Lucario... I first of all question why? but second of all say that you shouldn't worry. there's a couple of key things I've heard about that are in place that I think will probably make the game more interesting than X and Y were.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2016, 06:25:39 PM »
I didn't play X or Alpha Sapphire, despite owning them, but I'm excited for Sun. Should be a fun game.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2016, 09:34:52 PM »
I didn't play X or Alpha Sapphire, despite owning them, but I'm excited for Sun. Should be a fun game.

I feel you skipped a really disappointing Generation that near killed my love for Pokemon.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2016, 11:46:52 PM »
I've basically only been playing spin-offs since about SoulSilver.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 05:38:27 AM »
But i loved Soulsilvers and platinum's difficulty, it was hard but fair... can we go back to that please? I liked my hard NPC boss fights. XY was so god damn easy!
Made you look ****.