Author Topic: NWR Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff Tournament  (Read 6551 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
NWR Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff Tournament
« on: July 15, 2008, 11:50:25 PM »
Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff isn't coming out for more than two months, but I'm sowing the seeds of this tournament early.  I know that there are several Tecmo heads on these boards, including:

Me
Neal (Staff)
Mr. Adolph Vega
Rize
Insanolord

Is there anybody else that plans to buy Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff on day one?
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Re: NWR Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff Tournament
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 11:51:55 PM »
I guess my question is answered.  LOL
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 01:52:16 PM »
I think the main problem with Tecmo Bowl is that it is clearly a non-football non-game aimed at non-NFL fans.  It's clear that NFL fans and other football fans who reside in the NFL-watching demographic are getting their football games from EA, and thus there is no reason for football fans to play Tecmo Bowl for any reason.

If they could re-align their demographics marketing to include people within that demographic, they might have a chance at success, because clearly people in set demographics can only enjoy games within their demographics and they certainly will not conveniently stretch the definitions their self-assumed and self-described "hardcore football" demographic to include a game they are "fans" of, no matter how classic the game.

It's very obvious that, without the NFL license and obvious lack of coaching modes and other such complicated and sophisticated gameplay options, that this is the football game that little kids will be given to enjoy while the 18-35 demographic will still play Madden, which was referred to by one purchaser as "daddy's football game, the one that the little children are not to touch."

With all of these facts in evidence, it becomes clear that you can't be a serious football gamer and play Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 02:26:40 PM »
I'll join if you document the proceedings... you know... for site content.

Certainly, I'd do a public call for more participants.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 04:49:59 PM »
With all of these facts in evidence, it becomes clear that you can't be a serious football gamer and play Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff.

Tecmo is to Madden as Ice Hockey on the NES is to NHL 08.  I wouldn't call it a non-game, though...it isn't Wii Music or Electroplankton.  Tecmo Bowl is an arcade game, whereas Madden is a simulation.  They're catering to totally different audiences.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 10:36:56 PM »
I think the main problem with Tecmo Bowl is that it is clearly a non-football non-game aimed at non-NFL fans.  It's clear that NFL fans and other football fans who reside in the NFL-watching demographic are getting their football games from EA, and thus there is no reason for football fans to play Tecmo Bowl for any reason.

If they could re-align their demographics marketing to include people within that demographic, they might have a chance at success, because clearly people in set demographics can only enjoy games within their demographics and they certainly will not conveniently stretch the definitions their self-assumed and self-described "hardcore football" demographic to include a game they are "fans" of, no matter how classic the game.

It's very obvious that, without the NFL license and obvious lack of coaching modes and other such complicated and sophisticated gameplay options, that this is the football game that little kids will be given to enjoy while the 18-35 demographic will still play Madden, which was referred to by one purchaser as "daddy's football game, the one that the little children are not to touch."

uhh i think thats the point of the game. Lots of people enjoy football but still don't like madden, and enjoy a more arcade Blitz style game. Some people don't want to memorize hundreds of plays, manage everything, and have extremely complicated controls to enjoy a game of football. I could never get into Madden when I blindly bought it, but after I blindly bought Tecmo bowl on VC I couldn't stop playing it until I went to superbowl.

Now i know my dorm has been funny with the wifi, so I am not sure if I could play online. You can use wifi for computer but the wifi is set up in an odd way. I couldn't get my wii online and i called customer support and even tried lan adapter and still nothing. Maybe my dorm will have that fixed for fall. Also since the game comes out a month after class starts i might not play this because of class getting started. We will see, but no guarantees one way or another from me.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 02:50:38 AM »

Tecmo is to Madden as Ice Hockey on the NES is to NHL 08.  I wouldn't call it a non-game, though...it isn't Wii Music or Electroplankton.  Tecmo Bowl is an arcade game, whereas Madden is a simulation.  They're catering to totally different audiences.

Oh it is a non-game.  It lacks every advancement made in football gaming since 1985, including a season mode, NFL licenses, juking, advanced coaching.   It take several steps backwards in sophisticated gameplay and there is just no point to play it nor for it to even exist.  Just because you are a fan of it doesn't mean you get to rescind its "non-gameness" and invent an entirely different genre for it to be in just to avoid this classification.

Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff shows all the signs of being a non-threatening, simplified,  casual game experience meant to attract casual gamers and it is not possible for serious gamers to have it.  Serious gamers are to report to EA for their copies of Madden, as is stated in their aimed demographics charts.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
Now i know my dorm has been funny with the wifi, so I am not sure if I could play online. You can use wifi for computer but the wifi is set up in an odd way. I couldn't get my wii online and i called customer support and even tried lan adapter and still nothing. Maybe my dorm will have that fixed for fall. Also since the game comes out a month after class starts i might not play this because of class getting started. We will see, but no guarantees one way or another from me.

Vega, you do know that some or a lot of college dorms have the gaming ports disabled right? And with these ports disabled any of the current systems won't be able to hop online.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 12:55:54 PM »
I have no experience with Tecmo Bowl (my first football video game was Madden '92, which I played an enormous amount of, not least because the Bills were one of the best teams in that game - oh how I miss those days), but I'm enough of a football junkie to give this some significant consideration if the feedback is good. It's probably not a day one purchase for me, but I'm quite enthused about the prospect of an arcadey football game on a handheld, so perhaps I can join in a tournament at some point (and presumably get whipped by the Tecmo vets out there).

As devastatingly satirical as Jeff's comments may be, I feel like they amount to an unwarranted shot at Jon. I appreciate the point you are making (I've been poking fun at Jon's serious ways with my avatar for like a month), but in this context--a thread entirely unrelated to previous debates, or even the content of Tecmo Bowl itself--it is difficult to interpret these comments as anything other than purposefully belittling of a fellow staff member. 

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 01:27:58 PM by Yoshidious »
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 01:15:06 PM »
Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff shows all the signs of being a non-threatening, simplified,  casual game experience meant to attract casual gamers and it is not possible for serious gamers to have it.  Serious gamers are to report to EA for their copies of Madden, as is stated in their aimed demographics charts.

I think Tecmo lurks somewhere in between, honestly.  It's a bit too complicated to be pick-up-and-play, but it isn't nearly like Madden.  I always viewed it as being out on an island in terms of being on that casual-to-hardcore spectrum.  It'll be interesting to see how it's received, because I think the Madden heads will ignore it while the really casual gamers will think that it's too complicated because you have to know the game of football.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 02:04:24 PM »
With all these anomalies in the casual-to-hardcore spectrum, it's almost as though "casual" and "hardcore" were just meaningless buzzwords that people threw around to disparage things that didn't interest them and imply that their own tastes were the only ones worthy of being catered to.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 04:07:37 PM »
With all these anomalies in the casual-to-hardcore spectrum, it's almost as though "casual" and "hardcore" were just meaningless buzzwords that people threw around to disparage things that didn't interest them and imply that their own tastes were the only ones worthy of being catered to.

I think people use "casual" because "total piece of garbage, lowest common denominator, obvious Nintendo cash-in aimed at people without brains in their heads" takes too long when describing Wii Music, and they use "hardcore" because "game that doesn't employ cuddly-wuddly characters, has an actual difficulty curve, requires a modicum of skill, and has a plot that's more complex than what you'd find in a Saturday morning cartoon" takes too long when describing something like Metal Gear Solid 4.

But that's just my opinion.  LOL
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 04:46:21 AM »
As devastatingly satirical as Jeff's comments may be, I feel like they amount to an unwarranted shot at Jon. I appreciate the point you are making (I've been poking fun at Jon's serious ways with my avatar for like a month), but in this context--a thread entirely unrelated to previous debates, or even the content of Tecmo Bowl itself--it is difficult to interpret these comments as anything other than purposefully belittling of a fellow staff member.

But it certainly seemed to be acceptable when Silks belittled some of our readers by saying his opinion and having it be "difficult to interpret" whether or not he was trolling in that thread.  "Serious gamers," anyone?  He admitted his error in diction but not in thought, and possibly still thinks some of our longtime (let's say "hardcore") members like Mario, Bill, and Infernal Monkey to not be "serious gamers," which is, how some have put it, very condescending.

Shammack is right.  These labels are meaningless, and even with Silks' new entry into the GREAT HARDCORE/CASUAL DEFINITION WARZ, it appears that even he doesn't follow these as evidence his "DS Game List" post in another Handeld Thread:

Tecmo Bowl Kickoff, Bangai-O Spirits (Treasure shmup, hello), and Dragon Quest IX should it actually release in 2008 (doubt it, since we haven't heard anything about it in ages).

Both of those titles don't even fit any of the "hardcore" criteria except maybe possibly having a "difficulty curve."  And if only meeting one allows Hardcore Silks to Hardcorily enjoy them, then why can't some people Hardcorliy enjoy Wii Music or Nintendogs?  Why is it all demographics and marketing when it comes to typical Wii users and hardcore Wii users and people on this forum, but Silks gets to have a cosmopolitan game selection that breaks the rules that he defines?  Why does he attempt to instill shame in what people might enjoy, such as just now calling anybody who might anticipate Wii Music "brainless?"  Why is he allowed to stand in front of his glass house and throw stones?

Opinions as extreme as the hardline definitions set by Silks require consistency to be most effective, and that means no straying from them.  Silks, you are just going to have to not buy and enjoy Tecmo Bowl and Dragon Quest and Bangai-O, because they simply do not fit with your own definitions.  But there is a way out!  You can enjoy those games if acquiesce that gamers can enjoy anything and everything, including Wii Music and Nintendogs, and maybe some of these new/old gamers aren't "brainless," so long as they enjoy them in a hardcore manner of playing them and enjoying them.  This way you can enjoy the above DS games without sounding disingenuous.

I have said my piece and will disengage, as per Yoshidious's request.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 11:52:23 AM »
Deg, you took this thread in that direction.  Go ahead and read the whole thing.  It had NOTHING to do with hardcore/casual/whatever until you interjected, and in fact, with my first response I ignored your obvious sarcasm and gave you a straight answer.  Yet, you had to press the point.  I realized a while back that you were following me around to every forum area and trolling me because you simply don't like my attitude and think I'm an arrogant jerk, so I gave you the answer that I knew you were looking for.  You know, the one where I react how you expect me to, the whole "hardcore is awesome, casual sucks, Nintendo is teh failz" one that starts a pointless flame war.  That's why I put the LOL at the end, because I was laughing the entire time and wasn't remotely serious.

So yeah Greg, Deg has been taking shots at me for a little while, but now I have him on permanent ignore mode.  On that note, I'll tone my own posts down so that ill will like this does not occur in the future.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 12:41:26 PM »
You don't need to have a cry about it.  It's just a little taste of the medicine you've been dealing out to other forumers, like the infamous "serious gamers" and that Castlevania thread which you derailed into talking about your PS3 and your favorite games for it and why people should stop hating it and what you define as a serious hardcore non-casual whatever-the-hell.  Like anybody gave a damn and like it was pertinent to the subject.  It's like reading one of those puerile Gamefaqs GC-fan posts from 2002.

But oh pity the poor Silks that his Tecmo Bowl thread that got subject to exactly the same treatment.  How disingenuous.

The funny part is that I was being dead serious.  I wasn't trolling in any way.  Tecmo Bowl is like a simplistic baby toy compared to Madden, and is aimed squarely at the kiddy junk baby demographic.  And it certainly was fun watching you contort the very ideology you ham-fisted on others to spare a game you like that fits it to a "T."

Drop the labels.  Let's all be gamers, k?

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 03:03:58 PM »
<Yawn>  I'm outta here.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 12:01:38 PM »
But wehere else can you be an arrogant jerk?
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 01:35:16 PM »
This thread is totally out of hand.  Drop the animosity towards each other.  If you disagree with something Jon said in another thread, argue with him there.  It's no cause to troll this unrelated thread, which is exactly what Jeff is doing.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!