Author Topic: Playing SMB3 for 1st time and kinda hating it  (Read 21363 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Playing SMB3 for 1st time and kinda hating it
« on: February 07, 2013, 04:03:16 PM »
I can deal with Lost Levels and Super Meat Boy just fine. I'm okay at platforming, i guess. But this game...

SMB3 just loves to throw at least five enemies at the same time and it just breaks me. Earlier this night i played underwater level and at one time there were two small green fishes, one big red fish, two jellyfishes each one with four small jellyfishbabies -- all coming to get me. Oh and the level autoscrolled too. It was more closer to horizontal shmup on twitch difficulty than Mario game.

I appreciate how it originated so many things for the series and how imaginative every single level is. But i am not really having fun. Even the controls feel weird to me -- it's like i'm on ice at all times and all jumps feel too high (sounds stupid i know, but that's how i feel).

Also half of the things in game just don't make sense to me, level design wise. Like why some levels end with a black screen and others have additional hills? Lots of levels have areas that are just there. There is nothing in it. Some levels i blast through within 20 seconds and some are too hard for me.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong. Maybe it's DS Lite (i'm playing GBA version) and i should play it on a big screen.

Some levels i couldn't even understand where am i supposed to go. I went everywhere and i can't find an exit. Previous levels where i had that i just skipped, but now it's a castle (on world 7) and i have to beat it somehow to advance through the map.

Yoshi's Island had similar levels with keys and doors, but there it was laid out more clear. Here i just don't get it.

TLDR: i am stuck at first castle in world 7, pls halp.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 04:16:46 PM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
Re: Playing SMB3 for 1st time and kinda hating it
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 04:08:57 PM »

I've got nothing, man. I feel sorry for you.

It's up there with Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger as one of the best games ever made.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 04:11:47 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 04:11:02 PM »
I've got nothing, man.
Thanks for your nothing )

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 04:16:05 PM »
I've got nothing, man.
Thanks for your nothing )

lol

I'd love to be able to contribute more, but I'm kind of speechless.
SMB3 was the first game I ever played. I was 4. It was, and remains, amazing. Without a doubt the best Mario game ever made.

I respect your opinion, I just don't understand it. Ha.
Gouge away.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 05:35:04 PM »
I never thought this comment would, or could, ever be made...

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 06:09:38 PM »
You wouldn't last one round at Video Armageddon :smug:

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 03:05:41 AM »
I just beat Lost Levels (does it count if i beat world 8, they did show me ending screen, and extra levels feel that extra and tacked on, i breezed through world 9 right after world 8 in one sitting). With saves of course (as in not between the levels).

Noone wants to provide any answers besides snark? Anyone? I'd rather not visit FAQ sites just in case i will catch other spoilers.

Okay...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 03:51:07 AM by azeke »

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 03:25:30 AM »
Here is the answer! For serious advice, get used to the air maneuverability that flapping the raccoon tail gives you.

more snark though:
I just beat Lost Levels (does it count if i beat world 8, they did show me ending screen, and extra levels feel that extra and tacked on, i breezed through world 9 right after world 8 in one sitting). With saves of course (as in between the levels).

FRAUD DETECTED

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 03:50:54 AM »
I meant "between the levels" when you restore from savepoint after each level.

Like in All Stars Compilation.

Can you beat Lost Levels without saves? In one sitting and limited lives? If you can't -- join me in our fraud club.

What the flying ****.

How in a world was i supposed to find that switch on my own?

Also i play as small Mario most of the time. That's probably what i am doing wrong.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 03:59:18 AM by azeke »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 09:53:40 AM »
I meant "between the levels" when you restore from savepoint after each level.

Like in All Stars Compilation.

Can you beat Lost Levels without saves? In one sitting and limited lives? If you can't -- join me in our fraud club.

What the flying ****.

How in a world was i supposed to find that switch on my own?

Also i play as small Mario most of the time. That's probably what i am doing wrong.
Thats ok.  I've beaten SMB3 but I always used the Whistles at one point or another so, I got the GBA version when it came out and you get a level select when you beat every level in the game.  I then proceeded to beat every level in the game but their is 1 castle in world 8 that I can't seem to beat.  Funny thing is that I know I can beat every level after it because I have.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 07:22:16 PM »
I'm guessing that's the other one that's kind of a weird bullshit maze with hidden p-switch doors

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 08:35:23 PM »
I'm guessing that's the other one that's kind of a weird bullshit maze with hidden p-switch doors
Yep.  Still better than the first Mario... never beat the last level because I'm to stubborn to just use my NES Atlas.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 03:21:34 AM »
I've beaten SMB3 but I always used the Whistles at one point or another so, I got the GBA version when it came out and you get a level select when you beat every level in the game.
I don't even know what whistles are.

After seeing that first p-switch i stopped the video, thinking that i would be able to finish the level after that.

NOPE.

At first i thought i was supposed to run to that gray horizontal tube in a room with lava while the clock is still ticking. It was hard but it's possible, and it wasn't it.

Then i though since that corridor has unlit candles and no fireballs where it seems like they should be, i was supposed to lit candles or something. The level even gives fire flower when you go to lava room twice.

NOPE.

Cue another 20 minutes of frustration until i gave up and looked the ending of the video.

Yeah no. That's bullshit, game.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 04:43:13 AM »
I don't even know what whistles are.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 01:10:49 PM »
This is sad and hilarious.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 08:12:43 AM »
but honestly it shows that mario 3 hasn't held up as well as people think, i shouldn't have to look at some sub-par movie from the early 90's to find anything of that sort. everything should have some ingame clue of some sort.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 08:20:13 AM »
I definitely can see it as a milestone and how it set up so many elements for the series.

But, for me, NSMB (any entry) are much enjoyable both in terms of controls and much more sensical level design.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 08:41:58 AM »
But, for me, NSMB (any entry) are much enjoyable...

Once again, you leave me speechless, lol.
Gouge away.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 02:10:34 PM »
SMB3 is infinitely better than SMW, at least. I hate that game. The jumping felt way too floaty to me the last time I played it.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 02:13:15 PM »
But, for me, NSMB (any entry) are much enjoyable both in terms of controls and much more sensical level design.
Death to the Herectic. 
Maybe that was to Strong.  Let me try again.
Tar and Feathering to the Herectic.
Wait still to much.
Made to sit in a room with Bowser Jr for a day to the Herectic.
On Second thought I don't seem to be getting lighter, I think I'll just go back to Death.
Fighting Death in Castlevania to the Herectic!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 03:32:32 PM »
SMB3 is infinitely better than SMW, at least. I hate that game. The jumping felt way too floaty to me the last time I played it.

I could not disagree more. I like SMB3, but SMW is far better. The controls feel better, levels are better designed, the game looks better, the music is better, and jumping is spot-on (and I have played it on SNES, GBA, and Wii).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 03:40:19 PM »

I could not disagree more. I like SMB3, but SMW is far better. The controls feel better, levels are better designed, the game looks better, the music is better, and jumping is spot-on (and I have played it on SNES, GBA, and Wii).

I'm with Oblivion...at least as far as SMW's jumping goes. SMW generally has a more skittish feel to it than SMB3. I still think SMW is an incredible game, but I prefer the precision of SMB3.
Gouge away.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 10:08:10 PM »

While I like how movement feels better in world, and have more fun playing it, the cape breaks a lot of the game.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 03:07:31 PM »

While I like how movement feels better in world, and have more fun playing it, the cape breaks a lot of the game.
eh the cape takes some degree of skill to use(vs the p-wing) and the game knows how to screw you over for using it if it wants to

http://youtu.be/mlSyCVl7bp8?t=1m26s killed in around 25 seconds flat,

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 03:30:52 PM »

eh the cape takes some degree of skill to use(vs the p-wing) and the game knows how to screw you over for using it if it wants to

That youtube video is a miserable example.  If you practice a little bit, you get high enough to fly above the top of the screen the entire level, and then the only chance of being hit is by a stray projectile.

Of course, there are several levels in the game that don't allow you the freedom to fly for long periods of times, but some of the harder levels are a 30 second affair if you have the cape and are able to keep you height going.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 03:52:22 PM »

That youtube video is a miserable example.  If you practice a little bit, you get high enough to fly above the top of the screen the entire level, and then the only chance of being hit is by a stray projectile.

Of course, there are several levels in the game that don't allow you the freedom to fly for long periods of times, but some of the harder levels are a 30 second affair if you have the cape and are able to keep you height going.
except some levels have a barrier preventing you from going off screen, cave levels also aren't very friendly to the cape, it can break the game but it takes practice to be skilled enough to do so, even then the game can screw with you

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 07:40:52 PM »
Most levels in SMW do not let you fly across the whole level. It's actually pretty rare. The ones that do are kinda fun. But the cape does still take more skill than the P-Wing.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 08:03:49 PM »
Most levels in SMW do not let you fly across the whole level. It's actually pretty rare. The ones that do are kinda fun. But the cape does still take more skill than the P-Wing.

I'm not arguing that you can do the cape trick in every level, but I do think it's frequent enough to where it's noticeable. 

I agree the cape requires more skill over the P-Wing, but I've always viewed the P-Wing as a super secret power-up/instant win button.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 08:22:04 PM »
even then the cape doesn't give you anywhere near the amount of control offered by the p-wing, its usually more practical to have yoshi around for an extra hit....