Author Topic: when I attack, ver. 1  (Read 2973 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
when I attack, ver. 1
« on: February 18, 2003, 07:39:46 PM »
  This is going to sound pitiful, but what the hey.  I am 29 and a life-long Nintendo geek.  I had an unusual thought today at the local MS headquarters[EB].  I found myself looking at cube games, picking up Hunter: TR and saying, 'nah, this game got bad reviews' and putting it down.  Then it dawned on me.  The internet and gaming mags have ruined my favorite past time-video games.  It used to be i would buy a game because i liked the premise.  To be honest, there weren't alot of reviews available back in the 80's[ugh...] except for Nintendo Power, and that wasn't even a mag. yet, just a pamphlet!  I bought many a frustrating game, but i found something in each that i liked, sometimes even adored.  That doesn't have a shot in he!! of happening now a days.  This is not anyones fault, just the natural evolution of a hobby that became more mainstream, if not expected.  But i do remember playing the old NES game, 'Athena' , for hours, even though it was very mediocre....no trading 'em in back then, your stuck with it!  So you learned to like every game you purchased and played them until you beat them.  Now i cant stand a game , and guess what?  Its going back and i get a new one!  Some would say thats better, but i'm not so sure. 'Kid Niki' would 've ever got beaten if it was that easy to return games.  Or 'Deadly Towers'.  Or 'Tag-Team Wrestling'[super champ!]  Or 'Wizardry'.  You get the point?  Todays thoughts brought to you by:  ONE ANGRY GAMER
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
when I attack, ver. 1
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2003, 07:06:17 AM »
Personally I think the ability to check out reviews and make sure that you only buy decent games is much better than the "ability" to be stuck with mediocre ones.  If you can't stand a game you SHOULD return it.  In theory the ability for gamers to read reviews ahead of time is an incentive for developers to make better games (though this is just a theory as stupid gamers who do no research encourage the production of sh!tty games and ruin it for the rest of us.)  If everyone read reviews and did some research ahead of time game quality would have to improve or mediocre developers would go broke.  Therefore I'm all for the increased availability of videogame related information.

Offline rodtod

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
when I attack, ver. 1
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2003, 12:49:17 PM »
You shouldn't buy videogames just to expand your collection. You should only get what is interesting to you. Reviews may seem brutal, but they're there to prevent you from wasting money on a crappy game. I see nothing wrong with returning a game not worth playing. You get your money back, instead of some lazy developer.
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]