Author Topic: MP3 Players?  (Read 4598 times)

Offline Anonymosity

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
MP3 Players?
« on: February 15, 2003, 06:13:41 PM »
I was thinking bout the Archos Studio 5000 or 10....any thoughts?? Whats good?

I cant afford an ipod and i need like a 5 gig one thats cheap.

Offline Bubba

• View Profile
MP3 Players?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2003, 12:36:38 PM »
Ummm. The archos is a piece of junk unless you get the recorder verison.  It's suposed to have better quality parts.  But personaly, I wouldnt buy the archos even though it is cheep.  If I were you, I would get a nomad 3 or a riovolt riot.  They are both about the same price.  The riovolt is suposed to have a very good interface with features like, the DJ, 20 gigs, long lasting battery etc.  ITs also very small.  The I wouldnt get the ipod becuase its very expensive and its not as versital.  THe nomad 3 is good because it has dual audio outs and its suposed to be better than the riot.  The only problem is that its as big as a cd player.  I still have to buy one but I dont have any money lol.

Offline Taco

• View Profile
MP3 Players?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2003, 06:14:27 PM »
Get an MD player.

Offline Eminem

• View Profile
MP3 Players?
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 04:45:56 PM »
MP3 Players are just pieces of high priced junk. Don't get one! Just go get an MD recorder. It doesn't matter which one you get because they're all good. Go to http://www.minidisco.com to find some of the best MD stuff.
I'm Infinite

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
MP3 Players?
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 06:55:10 PM »
Another vote for an MD recorder. You can store 320 minutes (5.3 hours) of 128kbps quality MP3s on a disc that costs roughly two dollars. They're also smaller and lighter than MP3 players, have a longer battery life, and. The Sony N505 would be a good start into the world of MDs, and it runs roughly $100. Minidisc T-Station is one of (if not the) best source of MD information.

If you're stuck on getting a hard drive-based MP3 player the Archos Jukebox Recorder 10 (or 6 if you can find it) or Studio 20 would be your best bet. The major problem i've had with the Archos recorder/players is that they have really bad sound quality. Worse than other MD recorders, MP3 player, or the output from my sound card playing the same MP3s. On some models the volume control is actually a menu option and not a dedicated button, so make sure to check that out before you buy. Other than these issues they're pretty robust devices in the sub-$200 price range.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
MP3 Players?
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2003, 05:21:11 AM »
I don't know about MD...I have one, (non-NetMD, mind you)and it's great for recording, but the recording time with the Xitel thing is just insane. Granted this doesn't apply here, but it's a gripe all the same.

Plus, listening at 128/64 kbps is laughable as far as I'm concerned. And LP4 recording, which aoi tsuki mentioned is ~64kbps, not 128(which is LP2). Then there's the discs themselves- hardly portable if you're going to carry more than two or three. OpenMG which is used for transfering files, is supposedly a very annoying program, which has to convert your Mp3s to ATRAC3 format for the MD.

Right now, there isn't any perfect format out there....so either hold off, or get MD is you aren't concerned about the gripes I have with it.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540