Author Topic: Anyone had experience with a Backwards compatable PS3?  (Read 11280 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Anyone had experience with a Backwards compatable PS3?
« on: November 14, 2014, 02:16:52 AM »
I just ordered one from Amazon and I'm wondering if anyone has advice for keeping the thing in working order and such to prevent ylod besides the obvious keep it in an open area type stuff.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone had experience with a Backwards compatable PS3?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 09:34:12 AM »
I have one that has seen daily use of average 8+ hours a day since it was $600 (Not Launch but before the first revisions)

The key to longevity is externally cooling units.  I really love the one Pelican made but after about 7 years of service it died.  I couldn't find a replacement but if you can I recommend that one.  Gets a little loud when it gets old but its worth it since its temperature controlled so it will keep going after your PS3 is off if its still hot.

When my Pelican died I replaced it with 2 units. A front and back fan.  There quiter than the old Pelican, not a new one, but, they use the system for power so they turn off when the system turn off and are sort of ugly.  Though they seem to be getting the job done.

I would recommend one of the first things you do is replace the Harddrive as well.  I need to on mine, still have the 60gig, but, the process is more of a pain than a benefit for me at the moment with having to backup and redo everything.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 09:57:18 PM »
Oh, dear, apparently the TV I have is an inch too short to have the PS3 fat sitting underneath. Oh boy, I'm going to have to have it awkwardly facing to the side behind the TV won't I.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 11:58:12 PM »
Here's the thing - there is nothing you can do to prevent the YLOD. It's either gonna happen or it's not - but the chance of it happening will always be there. A PS3 Super Slim and a PS2 slim is a much better choice (aside from needing an extra A/V cable), and don't forget *all* PS3 models play PSX games.

Also about cooling - if that has worked for Ceric, then that's good, but it's hit or miss, and in actuality rapidly cooling the system is one of the contributing factors to the YLOD (and RROD on XBox 360). It's the hot/cold cycle that causes the lead-free solder under the GPU to become brittle and crack, causing the YLOD.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 01:41:14 AM »
Here's the thing - there is nothing you can do to prevent the YLOD. It's either gonna happen or it's not - but the chance of it happening will always be there. A PS3 Super Slim and a PS2 slim is a much better choice (aside from needing an extra A/V cable), and don't forget *all* PS3 models play PSX games.
yeah, if it can't safely go in a cabinet and can't go under my TV then I can't see where the fat will fit in my life which is disappointing.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 11:26:19 PM »
One of the biggest shots to the stomach in my hardware history is getting PS+ to store my 60GB PS3 game saves to the cloud and then having it YLOD the same day. :(
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 11:05:39 PM »
And I once again I ordered a PS3 phat. Let's see how this works.

Edit: The seller canceled it. Apparently he had a friend who wound up buying it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:40:06 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 08:23:45 AM »
When my friend's launch model died the guy at the store told him it has system back up feature and you could apparantly store gamesaves on a USB drive for backup too. You might've already known this, but hey maybe not.

Sidenote but I made so much fun of him for spending $600+ on the console and Resistance 3, only for us to still mostly just play PS2 games on it. I remember thinking he got ripped off with the controller too since they looked identical to the previous 2 dualshocks to me. Later the PS3 got really great games, but I feel like that took years.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 10:26:21 PM »
I found a refurbished unit from a seller with a solid reputation for this kind of thing.

A refurbished Sony Playstation 3 60GB Hard drive model number CECHA01, backwards compatible PS3 in perfect working condition. It's on 3.55 Official Firmware. 100% Fully Operational. Console is not banned from PSN. Console has been professionally reballed. Thermal paste has been replaced with high quality Arctic MX-2, including under CPU IHS & GPU IHS. Internal components have been cleaned. It has 4 USB ports and plays PS1, PS2, PS3 games & SACD's. There are scuffs and scratches on face and body of the unit. (Please see pictures).

This is our best performance PS3, It runs cooler and quieter than others.
$275 is a lot of money to throw at a last gen console (I got free shipping though.) but this seems like it's my best bet. I already ordered it.