Author Topic: Sakurai Talks Smash Bros. Development, Roster Creation, More  (Read 3739 times)

Offline alexosborn

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Sakurai Talks Smash Bros. Development, Roster Creation, More
« on: January 04, 2015, 08:14:19 AM »

According to the Smash Bros. director, only one developer was suitable for the project.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/39323/sakurai-talks-smash-bros-development-roster-creation-more

Super Smash Bros. director Masahiro Sakurai recently shared a few new details regarding the development of Nintendo's popular fighting game for 3DS and Wii U.

In an interview with Nintendo Dream, Sakurai said that finding a developer to handle the latest entry in the series was a no brainer, as Bandai Namco was really the only team capable of handling such a project. "We thought it would be better to have one single company work for us, so we choose to work with Bandai Namco Games who produce Tekken and other games," he explained. "When thinking about a Japanese company that can make a large-scale fighting-game, there was only this one company. It would be quite difficult for other companies I think."

Additionally, Sakurai revealed that the game's final roster was nailed down all the way back in May of 2012, before the Pokémon Greninja's name had even been decided. "For example Greninja, even before his name was decided I received several illustrations. I took them home in the evening and around midnight I had already done all his actions, normal moves, special moves and pose-pictures and sent them around asking "What do you think?"."

The fourth installment in the Super Smash Bros. series launched last year for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. You can read our review of the 3DS version here and the Wii U version here.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Sakurai Talks Smash Bros. Development, Roster Creation, More
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 05:20:08 PM »
Quote from: Sakurai
When thinking about a Japanese company that can make a large-scale fighting-game, there was only this one company (Bandai Namco). It would be quite difficult for other companies I think.

Hmm, I wonder how much can be read in to that on the operational health and/or respect towards Sega Sammy (Viruta Fighter), Koei-Tecmo (Dead or Alive), and Capcom (Street Fighter). When I think about all the big Japanese companies that make fighting games, Bandai Namco does come out on top in terms of size, stability, and a working relationship with Nintendo.

Ah, thinking about this has me wondering of how a Smash Bros game by Arc System Works (Guilty Gear -Xrd- Sign) would be.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 06:47:23 PM »
Way to throw Capcom and Arc System Works under the bus!

Still, Namco is probably the healthiest of these.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 08:18:06 PM »
Bandai Namco was the best choice. Koei Tecmo would have been a good second choice. Both are working on projects with Nintendo anyways so thats good (Hyrule Warriros, Pokemon Tekken).

Capcom deserves to be thrown under the bus
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 12:49:48 AM »
Capcom deserves to be thrown under the bus

Ba-ZING!

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 01:21:27 AM »
Capcom hasn't developed a fighting game in almost a decade. They outsource them to DIMPS and Eighting.

It makes no sense to look for grunts in a company that itself recruits other companies to their heavy duty.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 03:08:58 AM »
I'd love to see Retro's take on a fight game. Their collaboration with Sakurai would be interesting regardless of the outcome.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 03:25:48 PM »
"For example Greninja, even before his name was decided I received several illustrations. I took them home in the evening and around midnight I had already done all his actions, normal moves, special moves and pose-pictures and sent them around asking "What do you think?"

Kinda makes you wonder why the game took so long
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 05:22:49 PM »
"For example Greninja, even before his name was decided I received several illustrations. I took them home in the evening and around midnight I had already done all his actions, normal moves, special moves and pose-pictures and sent them around asking "What do you think?"

Kinda makes you wonder why the game took so long

Two Words: Quality Assurance.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 08:04:48 PM »
Way to insult every company ever.

I don't think it makes much sense either, as Smash isn't like other fighting games so I don't think it needs a fighting game team. In fact, I think it shouldn't have one.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 10:48:30 PM »
I think it makes sense to have a fighting game team on Smash.  The main thing people complain about is balance, and any fightman game team worth its salt should know balance.

And I don't think Sakurai is throwing anyone under the bus.  Size and availability fit both matter to finding a team to work with.  I'm sure he didn't mean that others were less talented.  Although, I'm not sure they are.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 06:39:41 PM »
Anyone who cares about balance can just go play a real fighting game. Smash Bros shouldn't be treated like a traditional fighter.